UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 05-25-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos
Gallade Ace Attorney Movie Rumor (Confirmed)

According to many news sites, here's one, Japanese director Takashi Miike may be directing an Ace Attorney movie. He's quoted in the article saying that the game the movie is based on is a "light comedy" "court drama" on the Nintendo DS.

Kotaku has pictures that appear to be set pieces, very familiar looking set pieces.

Trainer Level 5 - KOs:106 TP:274.5 SP:7.5 C+ Referee
Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13

Last edited by Weebos; 06-10-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
If this is true, I think I speak for everyone when I say <3333333333333333333333333333333333.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

What Rangeet said. :3
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
CyberBlastoise
Team Mother?

Definitely what 'Geet said. <333333333333333333333333333333333333333

Fizzy Bubbles

PASBL
CyberBlastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

I believe Layton got a movie, right? Then I wouldn't be surprised if Ace Attorney got their paws on one.

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copygoo View Post
I believe Layton got a movie, right? Then I wouldn't be surprised if Ace Attorney got their paws on one.
While I do think it's natural for both to get movies, I think you have their relationship backwards. Layton is by far the more popular title both internationally by sales and domestically by sales. So it's not like you can say, "Given Layton film, then Phoenix Wright film."

You've also got to keep in mind target audiences. Layton had a live-action film and an animated film slated at around the same time. The live-action one got scrapped (or at least it's been shelved and no one's reported on it since) whereas the animated one pressed full-steam ahead. (Good film, btw, if you haven't already seen it. Contains slight spoilers from the fourth game though.) The fact that Ace Attorney, then, would decide to press ahead with a live-action film and not an animated film speaks volumes about who they believe the target audience of this film is -- or rather, who they believe the target audience of this film isn't: children.

Some statistics:
Professor Layton sales:
Game 1: USA 1.24 million, Japan 1.03 million, total international sales 4.90 million
Game 2: USA 0.68 million, Japan 0.92 million, total international sales 3.64 million
All Games: USA 2.29 million, Japan 3.73 million, total internationals sales 12.21 million

Phoenix Wright sales:
Game 1: USA 0.37 million, Japan 0.39 million, total international sales 0.76 million (for some reason, VGChartz is listing 0.00 million sales for EU and Australia)
Game 2: USA 0.17 million, Japan 0.26, total international sales 0.42 million (again, no EU or Australia figures, odd)
All Games: USA 1.20 million, Japan 2.06 million, total international sales 3.38 million

As you can see, both franchises' best-selling title was their first one. (This surprises me. I thought Layton had rebounded in sales with #3 but apparently not strongly enough. I also thought Phoenix Wright #2 would have surely had higher sales due to popular word-of-mouth surrounding the first game but I guess I was wrong.) But if we compare apples with apples (like Japan Game 1 Layton vs. Japan Game 1 Ace Attorney), we see that Layton is generally 2 to 4x more popular sales-wise than PW, for better or for worse. I love both franchises and they tell stories in different ways so I don't think it has to be a competition, but I'm just bringing this up so you don't have the misconception that "if a Layton movie could happen, then a PW movie was inevitable." That's sort of like saying "if Wii2 could happen, then certainly the DreamCast 2 is inevitable." Noooot exactly ... ^^;

Last edited by Talon87; 05-25-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Oh hell, I thought the locations themselves looked like they were pulled right from the game, I didn't see the portrait of the bloody Steel Samurai in the third picture.

Also

Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13

Last edited by Weebos; 05-26-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Really? ^^; That was what convinced me this could be Phoenix Wright and not any other film set. Good on you for being able to tell it was PW just by the set alone (not counting the Steel Samurai props).

Take a closer look at the hanging blue-colored banner next to the shop in Picture #3. It says とのさ backwards. Okay. Now look above the backwards と to see another Steel Samurai.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

CONFIRMED.

Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13
Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Can't say I care for the image they're trying to project for Phoenix in that photo: way too "cool shit dude" with the gelled hair and the unbuttoned dress shirt underneath a stylish blazer. (No necktie, but I bet you anything if he had had one it would have been real loose instead of neatly done-up like Phoenix's.) Yeah, Phoenix has hedgehog hair, but I doubt that that has ever translated to "mmmh, sexy" for the ladies in the audience.

But if it's one thing I've learned with anime adaptations to Japanese cinema, it's don't count them in or out prematurely! The Nodame J-drama was fantastic as was the Hana Yori Dango J-drama. And I personally loved the Death Note films, especially the performances by Matsuyama Kenichi (actor who played L) and Kaga Takeshi (actor who played Light's dad). And then you have the Kaiji live-action film: trailer looked so bad I still haven't seen it -.-, and yet a second film's been greenlit to cover the contents of the second anime season. Go figure.

It'd be nice if the PW film blows everything that's come before it out of the water, but I'm of the pessimistic opinion it'll turn out a lot like Kaiji did: too much meat and too little fat on the original 20+hour bones which will fall by the wayside in the editing room to try and cram everything into a 2˝ hour film. Then again: it'd be great to be wrong as I'd love to be able to share Phoenix Wright with friends and family who don't game and who are averse to watching anything animated.

EDIT: I just realized that they've cast Narimiya Hiroki to play Phoenix. This won't end well. I'd originally written more but realized if I posted it I'd just be accused of being a downer, so ... yeah. I'll let you guys see for yourself once the film comes out if you're not already acquainted with his acting style and the characters he's usually hired to portray.

Last edited by Talon87; 05-27-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

I do not care for Pheonix's actor, but Maya's actor looks like they hit the nail right on the head.

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News