UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 02-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #251
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: big bad birtha's suggestion box 2: secret passions unveiled

[center:27sqbqcl][/center:27sqbqcl]

There are some scenes where Hosaka doesn't play a role; and in the others, his role isn't that much larger than normal (imo). But don't fret! because I would say that even in normal scenes featuring Hosaka, Hosaka completely steals the spotlight. So you basically are getting an extra helping of Hosaka this episode, because he's in so many of the scenes.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #252
McSweeney
Soul Badge

So handsome.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #253
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The thing is:
a) his fantasies would creep any girl out because they're so obsessive, yet
b) his fantasies are just like mine when I had crushes on girls in high school and imagined how I'd sweep them off their feet and live happily ever after and stuff
c) so it all comes back to what Haruka's black-haired friend says in this episode -- "Maybe Hosaka-senpai is actually ... cool."

He's really a nice guy, and if he would just quit fantasizing about Haruka and actually ask her out, then maybe something would happen. The thing is, in spite of all of his so-called manliness, he's a coward. That's the long and short of it: he's a coward. If he had the balls to ask Haruka out, he'd have done it by now. All this "I'm not a worthy enough man for her yet" bulllcrap is just bullcrap he's using to try and justify why he hasn't asked her out yet. It reminds me of me, and I'm sure it reminds many otakus of themselves. Liking the girl is the easy part; asking her out is just ... ¬¬
Old 02-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #254
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Well, episode 08 certainly outdid the defending champ, episode 04. Hosaka is one of my favourite comedy characters ever. He barely has to say anything; all he has to do is show up with his goofy unbuttoned shirt and I'm already laughing my ass off.

The bubblegum blowing bit was outstanding as well.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #255
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Now that you've seen it ...
  • I love the face Hayami-senpai makes when Maki officially informs her that Hosaka likes Haruka. I say "officially" because she's obviously aware of it from the get-go, but with Maki saying it, that gives Hayami-senpai the opportunity to make things interesting and maintain the façade that she's innocent. She's a total fox, and I don't just mean her looks.

You'll see Hayami make that face once again before the season ends. I'll just say this: it will simultaneously send chills down your spine and make you laugh harder than you've laughed all episode. And it's in the (single) best episode of the season, too. So look forward to that.[/*2e3itosp]
  • One of my favorite scenes when I first watched this episode was the very end, where Hosaka is trying to find a meal worthy of Minami Haruka, and in the end the very meat he turned down is the meat she excitedly purchases. It's really one of those "Niles Crane" moments of his where he's putting Haruka on such a high pedestal that he's turning her into a goddess and failing to realize that she does have common desires just like the rest of us.[/*2e3itosp]
  • "SUKI DA! SUKI DESU!" [/*2e3itosp]
  • "KAMI NO SHITAWAZA!" [/*2e3itosp]
Old 02-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #256
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If I was into making AMVs, I'd totally use this song as the background for a Hosaka x Haruka video.

There's just one problem ... (DON'T HIGHLIGHT IF YOU HAVE NO NEGATIVE CONNOTATIONS WITH THIS SONG! >.<) I hadn't heard this song in forever, and it was just in Monster Ep15 the other night, and now I can't help but associate it with that ugly short Neo-Nazi who plays it on his record player when meeting with Anna / Nina. >_< Dammit! Hopefully that'll go away if Monster gives me the chance to forget about the Neo-Nazis. If they occupy a prominent role throughout the series, then ... fuck. >_>

In other news, I'm through Episode 17 of Monster. Probably won't make more headway on it, though, until next weekend. I started Episode 18, but it looked like another boring filler episode. (It's the one where Nina has an episode-long flashback about when she met Mr. Rosso and how he hired her to work in his Italian restaurant.)

Depressed that my favorite group of the five who had been translating Wolf & Spice appears to either (a) have dropped it or (b) lost their translator. Even more depressed that tens of thousands of hungry fans are ignorantly downloading the SERIOUSLY MISTRANSLATED version from BSS just because they are the ones who get their releases out first. I'm contemplating making the jump to Ayako soon, not because their sub is good (it isn't), but because I-Z uses hard-coded subs and I prefer to have softsubs given the option.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #257
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

Going to add Utawarerumono to my list of currently playing Japanese games; it's like a mix of visual novel and tactical role playing game. If Talon picks this up somewhere down the line he might get the full experience of the story, as a lot was omitted from the anime. It's an eroge. BBB might want to play this as well.

Anonymous clocked at twelve hours of straight play to win, meaning he skipped all the dialogue and stuff.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #258
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Didn't realize the anime was eroge-inspired. I may look into it. It would still need to be translated (which I'm guessing it is or else you wouldn't be able to do much with it, either! ^^; ) and it would have to have a really compelling story. I don't recall that many orgasmic fans being born from the anime (which I never saw), so that bodes poorly for it on my list considering that FSN and Tsukihime all have much more enthusiasm to their fanbases which in turn gives me a good vibe for those games should I ever get around to playing them.

What I'd really like is another Coco's Path. A game that is fun enough that you more or less play it 5 times in a row with little change, and then on the sixth run through HOLY SHIT!
Old 02-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #259
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ray Romano is no Ever17, I can tell you that. There's a degree of mystery about it but nothing along the lines of a number of intricate puzzles orchestrated by some devious and insidiously clever mastermind; the main appeal is the character interactions and the role playing game I think. I found some of the lines chore-some because I already watched the anime and the world and its ultimate fate is well known to me.

As far as comparisons to other eroge-gone-anime go, Utawarerumono had one of the best adaptions in recent memory. There weren't any screw-ups, probably because the game is rather linear (instead of getting one girl's path, the hero gets them all) and it had consistently high production all around. CGI wasn't nasty either.

On the fan-side, I think doujin plays a large part in an ELC fanbase and Ray Romano has a rather small pool of it, especially compared with the TYPE-MOON works which were endeared to a lot of Japanese players. Leaf also went bankrupt shortly after Ray Romano got released (much like KID!) so the fans are in hiding until the promised day of triumphant return (i.e., ragnarok).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #260
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Leaf, you say? I have two of their games:
  • ????????? (Tenshi no Inai Juunigatsu, also commonly Tenshi no Inai 12gatsu)[/*11ta0u01]
  • ToHeart 2 XRATED[/*11ta0u01]
Haven't installed either. Just have 'em for the sake of having 'em. (It's ToHeart 2, man! Tama-nee! :3)

I'm surprised to hear that the makers of To Heart went out of business but the makers of Kanon are still going strong. No offense to BBB! I would be surprised to hear if Key went out of business, too! It's just that the amount of ToHeart 2 hentai is INSANE. Easily one of the most dominant "genre by series" genres of hentai you can find. I usually find at least one new doujin of ToHeart 2 once every week and usually find a keeper once every two. And I do mean "at least": most weeks I probably find anywhere from two to four new ToHeart 2 doujins (easy) and surprisingly the vast majority of it is nice. Well, assuming the idea of having the hottest older sister ever turns you on. ^^;

*wonders how Doppel and Leaf got mixed up together, considering Leaf's most popular character is the sexy older sister Tamaki*

To me, the plethora of ToHeart 2 hentai sends the signal that "in Japan, horny men must live and breathe ToHeart." It's surprising that Leaf went out of business to me for this reason -- so surprising, especially, because Japanese otaku have a reputation (whose worth I'm beginning to doubt) of purchasing rather than pirating their favorite anime products. And it's no small mystery that ToHeart 2 is a mainstay of the Japanese hentai scene.

Closing comments: why do you keep calling it Ray Romano? (4chan joke because the name is such a tongue twister even for native Japanese?) Pretty difficult to translate into sensible English, too, without explaining the grammar to folks. Utawareru is the passive form of the verb utau, "to sing." Meaning that utawareru translates to "to be sung" in English. That is to say:
- I will sing the song. = Watashi wa uta wo utau.
- The song will be sung by me. = Uta ga watashi de utawareru.
So if you say utawareru mono, it means (literally) "that which is sung." In other words, it's a noun phrase, with utawareru ("to be sung") modifying mono ("thing").

You probably already knew this, but consider it my annoyed obligation after hearing you say Ray Romano a dozen times when it's really not that hard for 4channers to get it through their heads that the show is called "That Which Is Sung" and to call it that.

I said I had closing comments. I consider the above one comment; the image attachment is the other. ^_^
Old 02-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #261
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In all my hot-aired rambling, I forgot to ask for the link. >_>
Old 02-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #262
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

You can find a torrent link to the game on HongFire, or so I was told. I got it from isohunt. The patch is from (here's the kicker) Mirror Moon, the same folks who spent four months developing the installer for UBW and aren't releasing it because they apparently aren't fond of it and want people to like that trampy route HF ("Sakura is so moe~ ^_^", "Why is she such a slut? :x").

I got involved with Leaf through the RR anime, which I got into based on hearing from EvoSpace that Leaf was a big competitor of TYPE-MOON and RR was their next biggest franchise gone anime. As for why I call it "Ray Romano", people struggled pronouncing/writing the title for a long time and after a parody picture of Ray Romano wearing Hakuoro's mask appeared, a play on the slightly similar phonetics between "Ray Romano" and "Re Rumono" it was adopted as a short hand. The Utawa is usually rendered as "Under Water" or the much better "Ottawa", so we could (effectly) translate the title of the show as Ray Romano in Canada!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #263
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That got a pained laugh for me. :P
Old 02-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #264
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiijiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii 18! GET IT NOW! Also, Hakaba Kitaro 03! Oh wow, what a surprise Sunday this is!

Holy snappers, new Shana as well! I won't get to watch Mnemosyne at this rate!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #265
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh man: Kaiji 18 was just as bad as Kaiji 17! :x Like, identical! Just as bad! Just as good! No different! Well, at least we know one thing thanks to the spoilerific sneak peek:
- Kaiji wins Round 9
- Kaiji goes home relatively empty-handed but still has his hearing
- E Card ends next episode

I mean, we don't know any of those things for certain, but I'm wagering all three are true based purely on the sneak peek.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #266
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Talon, if what I know about the spoilers are correct, nineteen should be an incredible episode. As in, "wow" worthy! I have yet to get to eighteen but if what I think won't happen doesn't happen it'll all come crashing down in nineteen!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #267
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If you don't mind the mini-spoiler for 18, here it is. If you do mind, don't read. :P

Kaiji plays through Rounds 5, 6, 7, and 8. Four rounds in one episode. All of them losses. Kaiji has had 6 straight losses and -- for reasons I don't completely understand -- he is in danger of losing his ear if he loses Round 9, even though he only bet 1mm and he still has 4mm of space. Yes, I can do the math that maybe the Emperor side's penalty is 5x what you bet if you lose, but (a) iirc Tonegawa said there would be no such penalty and (b) even if he did they certainly have not observed it, since Kaiji bet 10mm in Round 3 and only lost 10mm, not 50mm. Anyway, point is, he has to win Round 9 or else he loses his ear.

So. He obviously wins based on the episode title, Tonegawa's stunned look, and the fact that he isn't holding a bleeding ear or anything in the picture where they showed what looks like Kaiji wrapping things up with E Card. Instead, one of three things has to happen:
1) he forfeits the cash to quit
2) he plays through to the end, betting 1mm each time just so he doesn't lose his ear, and walks away with 2 to 3 million yen, or 20,000 USD
3) he takes a huge gamble on the Slave side and wins an exorbitant amount of money

3 seems like what Fukumoto would want to happen, but then again, I feel like it will just end the way #2 predicts and that this big thing you're talking about is something completely different.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #268
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

There's one more gamble after E-Card, and it's the big one with Kazutaka himself. I can imagine that gamble lasting six episodes, perhaps seven, but not eight. So I think episode eighteen is the "turning" point in the game and nineteen the true finisher. If Kaiji wins with a "lucky" gamble on the slave side, to get the twenty million he'd have to bet 36mm on the slave side, which I'm not sure he can do since he's already lost so much. But a lucky win wouldn't be satisfying for the viewers! Somehow Kaiji has to crack Tonegawa's mind-set like Akagi would and whittle him down to a pile of muck, so methinks Kaiji might raise the bet after Round 9.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-10-2008, 11:43 PM   #269
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm almost through Ghost Hound 12 and I keep smiling through it! This odd "romance" of sorts between Taro and Miyako is utterly hilarious! I don't know how it got started or how people as young as these two can get, err, enamoured, but suffice to say it's rather cute. I want to see more OBE's, though! One of the best parts I think was in the very beginning where Makoto was romping around on the highway and that disgusting woman the behavioural psychologist swerve when she saw his eyes coming right toward her! And Makoto's old grandmother can see the "dog god"; awesome!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-11-2008, 12:38 AM   #270
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Everyone at the chat calls Utawarerumono "Underwaterrayromano." and I simply make up a story about Utawarerumono being the satan form of Ray Romano =o No matter where you take this....Utawarerumono is destined with Ray Romano (a discussion of that is how I found that Ray Romano Raymoo picture XD)

Err....incase you haven't noticed, I haven't been posting here the past few days =o Actually, this is the first time I logged in maybe two days. I have currently been into two fads that I just didn't feel like talking about here (Kenshin dub spam and the Caramelldansen dance.) Actually, I'm sure that no-one here would've liked them (well, it has been proven in my hell thread posts.) I wanted to spare everyone the nuisance.

Anyway, I have watched bottle fairy. I won't bother reviewing it right now.

I have also re-watched Rozen Maiden with a certain twist. Well, I have only watched the first four episodes, but I have LOVED every single one of them. I really don't know if I should post one of the episodes or not.....

Well......back to my hole >.>
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:58 AM   #271
McSweeney
Soul Badge

God damn, I'm getting really squeamish seeing all the shots of the drill piercing Kaiji's eardrum. In a way, this is much worse than simply dying by falling off a beam. MY HEART'S PUMPIN'.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 AM   #272
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Tonegawa is a FALSE PARIAH. I just finished Kaiji 17, and Kaiji keeps calling Tonegawa stuff like "genius" and "demon". Those are Akagi's titles! I can't wait for Kaiji to hand Tonegawa's arse to him, especially since if he wins he must be winning on the Slave side!

Let me think here. Kaiji has 2 million. He needs the 20 million. He can't bet more than he has and needs to bet 36 million. That's 1.8 for each go around on the Slave side, but I don't think it'll work that easily. My guess is Kaiji wins on Emperor, wins on Slave 1, loses on Slave 2, wins on Slave 3. He has a maximum of 24 mm to bet on the Emperor side if he give up his money, but I don't think Love Emperor wants that money!

Talon, looking at the caps, they're not revealing at all.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #273
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I just thought of something, if the Love Emperor is one of the underworld rulers of Japan, then he probably knows Akagi. That's assuming Fukumoto's works exist in the same universe. Probably not since I'm not aware of any inter-series cameos. I guess that's good, because in the world of sitcoms and the like they're just cheap fanservice, but come ONNNNN! It's Akagi!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #274
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Minami-ke 11 was great.

"I want you to sample this lunch I made to see if it's good enough for the woman I love."
"Sorry, but I just ate and I'm full right now."
"Aren't these packages your lunch?"
"These are supposed to be eaten later."
"You shouldn't open up what you're supposed to eat later, should you?"
"That's true."
"You shouldn't be eating it now, right?"
"That's true."

Also, Kana's explanation of lazy Haruka.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #275
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

BPK, it's probably not unlikely that Kazutaka knows Akagi. Heck, he might have even known Washizu; in 1996 Kazutaka was 70 years old, meaning Kazutaka was born in 1926. Washizu was 70 in 1965, when Kazutaka would be 39. Kazutaka and the other "Shadow Kings" didn't gain prominence until the 1980's, which was twenty years after Akagi took Washizu's spot. They had to have heard of the "Man who stands in the realm of gods and rules the world from darkness" by that time, especially if he was gaining more influence and power in society.

It's unlikely in the anime though because the anime takes place more than ten years after the original manga.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime