UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 12-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors is a story about nine people who find themselves abducted by a mysterious assailant in a gas mask who forces them to play a survival game aboard a sinking ocean liner. Called the Nonary Game, the players will have to work together in teams of three to five and scour the ship for clues, solve puzzles, and find ways to open doors which block their path. Nine special doors each have a big, splotchily-painted red number on them -- 1 through 9 -- with the promise of salvation awaiting them should they make it past the door with the 9. But first, they'll have to find it ...

With only six hours available to them before the ship capsizes, tensions are high and opportunities to double-cross, deceive, or murder one's fellow contestants abound. In this waking nightmare, our protagonist Junpei finds himself. Who is this so-called "Zero" who brought him here? And why? Just who are these other eight people he'll have to work with in order to survive? And who among them can he trust?

999 is a fun survival-horror game which plays a little like Professor Layton and a lot like other visual novels in the survival genre for the PC. While it's been compared by some fans with the Saw films, I don't think that's accurate. While the game does depict graphic violence and profanity warranting its M rating, the story is not effed up in the head like your typical survival-horror Hollywood script. I don't want to spoil the game for you, so you'll just have to take my word for it that this game is not offensive or grotesque like the Saw films and that you should definitely still give it your consideration even if you're like me and you can't stand those kinds of movies.

WARNING! DO NOT READ WIKIPEDIA!
Wikipedia's 999 page has recently been edited by somebody and now contains major, major spoilers.

Also: before you hit the "Reply" button, be sure to check out some of the other posts written about 999 on this webforum:

Post 1: Talon tells his friends he's just found this interesting-sounding game called 999.
Post 2: Several hours into the game, Talon offers his thoughts.
Post 3: Doppleganger asks him, "How many hours long do you think the game is?"
Post 4: Talon explains that the game doesn't log Total Play Time or Percent Completion like most visual novels do.
Post 5: lilbluecorsola says she doesn't have a DS, otherwise she'd play.
Post 6: Talon says he's almost finished the game. He highly recommends it.
Post 7: Talon's finished the game and offers his thoughts on the package as a whole.
Post 8: Doppleganger says his interest is piqued.
Post 9: So does big bad birtha.
Post 10: And so does lilbluecorsola!
Post 11: Where there's a will, there's a way! lilblue finds a way to play 999 and reports in with some early speculation.

And that's it! Thanks for taking the time to read the backlog of posts not found in this thread. And with that, let's talk about the game!

Console: NintendoDS
Length: 20-30 hours for 100% completion
Price: $35 on Amazon.com

Last edited by Talon87; 12-10-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
I got an emulator with 999 set up. Played through the beginning a bit. I really like Snake's character so far.

Slight spoiler/speculation?

Spoiler: show
'Twould be interesting if it turned out the "9" and "6" watches were reversed, lending basis for the game title. Since I don't think you got to see the ninth man's watch until it was on the ground. Though I guess that's impossible, considering the numbers puzzle.

Crud. I just read a spoiler surrounding that incident when I tried to look up the characters. =x Oh, well. One mystery down, still plenty to go.
Do you want me to comment on that speculation? Or did you already find out the answer?

I would encourage you to play the game the first one or two times without using any walkthrough or spoilers whatsoever. There's a lot of good reasons for this.
  1. Normally you use a walkthrough to make sure you wind up on the best possible path in a game. But in 999, you literally can't get the best ending (#1) on your first playthrough no matter how hard you try. You have a 5% chance of getting the second best ending (#4) and a 95% chance of getting one of the three unique bad endings (#3, #5, and #6). And most people seem to agree -- reviewers, walkthrough writers, and yours truly -- that you're better off not seeing Ending 4 first anyway.
  2. Expanding on that point: most people encourage you to land on either Ending 3, Ending 5, or Ending 6 on your first playthrough. And this is really, really easy to do if you're not using a walkthrough.
  3. The three bad ends are best to do first because they tell you the least about the characters' true identities, backstories, etc.
  4. And of course finally: walkthroughs can spoiler stuff for you. Better to avoid that risk altogether by tucking the walkthrough away.

So I'd recommend playing blind the first two times at least. If you pick Door 4 the first time you play and Door 5 the second time you play, I can almost guarantee you that if you then go out of your way to make different choices the second time around you'll wind up with two of the different endings. I actually picked Door 4 twice and, lucky or not, got endings 3 and 6. Then I picked Door 5 and got ending 5. When I played for the fourth time and got ending 6 again, I decided at that time to open up a walkthrough. I think that was a smart decision on my part.

I'd recommend the so-called Spoiler-Free or Spoiler-Minimal walkthrough on GameFAQS. That was the one I used to get endings 4 and 1 without being spoilered and it worked perfectly.

I'd also recommend that, if you're trying to unlock particular endings in a particular order, to follow the advice of doing it in one of these ways:
  1. 3, 5, 6, 4, 1
  2. 3, 6, 5, 4, 1
  3. 5, 3, 6, 4, 1
  4. 5, 6, 3, 4, 1
  5. 6, 5, 3, 4, 1
  6. 6, 3, 5, 4, 1
And if you really want my advise, I'd say to pick last whichever path has you teaming up with Seven and Lotus to investigate Door 2. That's because when you go and investigate the rooms beyond Door 2 with them, you discover (in my opinion) the absolute coolest and most important parts of the backstory prior to latching onto either one of the two better endings (1 and 4).

Last edited by Talon87; 12-10-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Okay, now time for some character discussion so I can actually get us both into the game of chatting about what you're seeing and not have me focus so anxiously on what endings you're going to get and when.

Initially, I liked Lotus. Obviously she's a major hottie, but it was also really neat when we discovered that she knew so much about psychiatry and cell biology (Door 4) and computer programming (Door 8 ). But as the story developed, I began to really lose trust in her. Her questionable apathy at times when people seemed to be in danger (Door 4 path's freezer scene, followed up with the search for Snake). My final verdict on Lotus ... well, that'd require me to spoil a whole bunch of endings. ^^; So I won't go there. Not just yet, anyway.

By the end of the game, my favorite character was without a doubt: (big spoiler)
Seven. He's a big lovable lug who has a heart of gold, who's down to earth, and who we later discover is a cop who was trying to rescue abducted kids and went above and beyond the call of duty -- quite literally, since he decided to go over his boss's head! LOL -- in trying to rescue them. Seven's kind of blah all throughout the Door 4/5 path and the meet-up scenes on either side of them, but once you investigate Door 2 with him and Lotus, you start to discover who Seven really is. And once you see Endings 4 and 1, there's no turning back.

If you really want to know who my favorite character was but don't want any of the spoiler stuff I wrote, click on this spoiler box. All I've written in this one is the character's name.
Seven

Last edited by Talon87; 12-10-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Do you want me to comment on that speculation? Or did you already find out the answer?
I haven't found the answer yet, so if it's possible for you to comment without giving away spoilers, then please feel free.

I don't intend to use a walkthrough. It's just hard for me to keep the characters' names straight right now, so I've been trying and failing to look up who's who without coming across spoilers.

I started by going through the 5 door, since I really wanted to investigate the circumstances surrounding the prior incident. Plus Snake seemed to have the most information. (Apologies to June, but I think getting to the bottom of things first would increase chances of survival.) Still on the escape puzzle.

I should really save further progress for the break, but chances are I'm gonna end up playing more tonight. >>;
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

WARNING: somebody edited spoilers into Wikipedia! This can't be helped since there will always be those who prefer fullness of content in articles over respecting the spoiler-free wishes of people looking for superficial information about a particular game, film, or novel. In fact, I am normally such a person! However, I have taken the liberty of adding a spoiler warning to the top of the character section just in case. Please do not read the list of characters on Wikipedia!!! If you do, you will spoil for yourself several major plot twists in the game, not to mention the biggest character identity revelations of the final two endings you'll play (4 and 1).

Quote:
I haven't found the answer yet, so if it's possible for you to comment without giving away spoilers, then please feel free.
All I can say without spoiling things, then, would be to say, "The game's writers consider many plot twists similar to this."

Quote:
It's just hard for me to keep the characters' names straight right now, so I've been trying and failing to look up who's who without coming across spoilers.
There only being nine people, you'll get 'em soon enough, trust me. It helps to know Japanese to see where some of the puns came from, but they explained it before you-know-what happened, and the explanations carry over into English for the most part:
  1. Ace, like the playing card. Ace = 1.
  2. Snake, like "snake eyes" in dice games. Snake eyes = 1 + 1 = 2.
  3. Santa, like Santa Claus. The Japanese word for 3 is san.
  4. Clover, like the four-leafed clover. So, 4.
  5. Junpei has no nickname. As the protagonist, you could say he's the one who finds himself in the middle of things. The middle number between 1 and 9 is ...? 5.
  6. June, like the sixth (6th) month of the Gregorian calendar.
  7. Seven, like the number 7. Real original.
  8. Lotus, like the flower. It has eight ( leaves.
  9. The Man With the 9 ... well, yeah, no need to remember him. ^^;;

There's no need to remember the nicknames Junpei gives to them initially. These nicknames don't factor in to the story later.

Quote:
I started by going through the 5 door, since I really wanted to investigate the circumstances surrounding the prior incident. Plus Snake seemed to have the most information. (Apologies to June, but I think getting to the bottom of things first would increase chances of survival.) Still on the escape puzzle.
I had the opposite take. I felt it was more important to play alongside my childhood acquaintance since:
(a) if they're trustworthy, then they're the best ally I can hope for; and
(b) if they're mentally unstable, then I won't piss them off by choosing to go through the same door as them, while I would piss them off if I said, "Screw you, I'm going through Door 5."

Also,
(c) I didn't want to cause unnecessary friction so early in the game. By choosing to go through Door 5 after I'd been assigned to Door 4, I'd be pissing off Clover and Snake (who'd have to split) and Lotus and Santa (who'd be all, "What the fuck? We're not good enough for him!? "). Add June from Letter B to this list and that's five out of seven people I'd be pissing off (since I obviously don't count and #9's already out of the picture by this point).

So I stayed put with Door 4.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Yeah, I can remember the names and explanations fine. It's just matching them to some of the less vocal characters that I had trouble with. Like Ace and Seven.

Mm, I think rather than acting on my own or the protagonist's instinct, I tend to fall into the mindset that, as the gamer, it's my duty to solve the mystery. Certainly, if I were in that situation, my own survival would be of the utmost importance. As it is, I guess I'm trying to play Blick by sacrificing Junpei's safety this time for the sake of information, which I hope will help future reincarnations.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:17 AM   #7
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Status Update:

I've gotten all the bad endings (In order of completion: 3, 6, 5), and just reached ending 2.

True Ending -Incomplete- Spoiler

Snake's alive! Yay! I knew the manner of death had to be misleading... Although I wonder how the killer got the bracelet off him. There are ways to reduce the heartrate to zero without killing the individual, right? Guess I'll find out the exact method in the complete ending.

And that cryptic final message... "Actually, I am Santa." That, coupled with Santa's final actions, certainly raise a number of questions. Perhaps there's a form of telepathy or body-switching at work here? Could this be related to your comment on the similarity to Blick Winkel in Ever17?

Any nonspoiler tips on how to achieve ending 4? I'd like to finish this game without using a walkthrough.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Could this be related to your comment on the similarity to Blick Winkel in Ever17?
Not exactly. You'll need to complete the true ending (full path) to accurately understand what I was referring to.

Quote:
Any nonspoiler tips on how to achieve ending 4? I'd like to finish this game without using a walkthrough.
There's no way to tell you how to get ending 4 without telling you what it is you need to do: and that in and of itself is a spoiler and is also part-and-parcel of what makes a walkthrough a walkthrough. So yes, I can tell you how to do it, but no, it's impossible for me to tell you how to do it without spoiling things for you. It's because there's only one way to do it, it's very black and white, and so either I tell you how or I don't tell you how.

To find out how to unlock Ending 4, click here ...
1. You have to go through Door 5.

2. You have to go through Door 8.

3. You have to go through Door 6.

To find out how to unlock Ending 1, click here ...
1. You have to have unlocked Ending 4.

2. You have to go through Door 4.

3. When Santa offers you the bookmark, you have to take it.

4a. When June talks about dry ice, you have to say that you want to know why it doesn't melt.
4b. You must also show interest in her story once she finishes it.

5. You have to go through Door 7.

6. When Seven talks about EDT, you have to mention Ice-9 to him. He'll then talk about All-ice.

7. When you try to open the escape door, Clover disappears. When you find her, give her the bookmark you received from Santa.

8. You have to go through Door 1.

At this point comes the moment of truth. There are only two possible endings you can reach at this point: Ending 1 or Ending 3. You'll know you've successfully latched onto the path for the True End if you have a unique conversation with Clover about the captain. (In your case, I don't know if the conversation will be unique since you already went and unlocked Ending 2, i.e. True End Incomplete. So you'll just have to hold your breath and fast forward a bunch to see whether you get axed or not. No axing? True End a-comin'.)

Other clues include:
* You'll get different text for the ALLICE book.
* In place of End 3, you'll have a different conversation with Clover and head towards Door 9.

There are some choices which will now crop up. You can get these wrong. I don't know what the penalty is since I didn't get them wrong, and they're honestly no harder than previous problems in the game (meaning they're quite easy ), but in case you're anxious about taking yourself off of the True End path at the last second, you can confirm your answer choices by clicking the spoiler box below:

1. the right / left question
right left right left right left

2. a question about which three people or bracelets combine to do something ...
Se + J + C

Once you get to the room with a puzzle that has to do with lightbulbs (you'll know the one), you're done, I think, with answer choices that you could get wrong and be penalized for. Everything from this point forward, I think, is pure puzzle-solving and plot revelations.

EDIT: All credit for the walkthrough tips goes to Chloe B./drachemeister, © 2010.

Last edited by Talon87; 12-18-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Just made this connection after going through Door 5 again (with True Ending incomplete memories):

Ah, so the reason Snake reacted to the light is because "Light" was one of the children in the experiment. I'm guessing she was Santa's sister, the girl who died. I did find it odd how "Aoi" wasn't translated, but "Hikari" (I assume that's the original Japanese name) was. Is "hikari" used to refer to light in a universal context?

Next to confirm is the body in the shower. Should've checked the description more closely on an earlier playthrough, as soon as I heard the hint about Snake's artificial limb from Clover. Could the player have noticed the mistaken identity just from the text knowing this fact?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Finished Ending 4. Thoughts:

First off, go Snake!

I think I see where the "Blick" reference is starting to come in. So I guess it was okay for me to charge recklessly ahead from the beginning? ^^; In the name of Blick Winkel...

The whole telepathy deal does feel akin to Blick's ability to jump between consciousnesses in different universes. And Ending 4 seems to point towards an infinity loop of some sort. I'm curious to see how this winds up different from Ever17.

Maybe Junpei is "Zero"... Or Zero is Blick... Hm...

Well then, on to the True Ending!
Old 12-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So now you've finally learned the truth about one of the characters:

Ace.

Isn't it sad? ^^;

I actually liked Ace quite a bit before Ending 4. He seemed like the fatherly type. Who'd have suspected he was such a monster!?

And it gets worse in Ending 1. Not much worse, but in fact worse. Things don't just stay the same with that character. They ... they get worse. What a horrible person. There's one image in particular of this character sticking their eye right up against the glass of the [you'll-know-what] and it's just so creepy and revolting that I wasn't able to look at it at all. It made it very difficult to read the text in that portion of the game since the eye-against-glass image was left hanging in the background while new plot text poured forth on top of it.

Ugh. Terrible monster.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #12
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Right now I'm on what I would hazard to be Ending 1's final puzzle...

...aka the Sudoku puzzle in the incinerator. Pausing before tackling it since I can't rotate the emulator, eh heh. I'm sure it's still solvable, I just don't want to strain too hard and give myself a headache.

Ace better get his just desserts in this ending too. I was suspicious of him from the beginning since the spoiler I mentioned reading was the fact he was behind the ninth man's death. But now knowing he'd murder not only adults to save his skin, but a group of innocent children in the name of science... Ugh.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 12-19-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That's the final puzzle.

(you can click it, I've put it in spoilers so others don't see what kind of puzzle it is)
It's a pretty easy Sudoku puzzle, but seeing as they didn't have Sudoku nine years ago, it's easy to see how a little girl might panic and think, "What on Earth am I supposed to do now!?" It's not intuitively obvious unless you're a walking, talking mathematics robot. For everyone else, we had to have the rules and object of the game explained to us. She didn't have that luxury.

"Jumpy, help me! " You can almost hear her thinking. Poor little thing.

Luckily, Junpei does come to her rescue!

So, if you've gotten to the final puzzle, then by definition you've discovered what I was referring to when I said that this game has a Blick Winkel-like aspect to it.

(you can click, others should not unless they too have made it to the final puzzle -AND- also they've completed Ever17)
Like Ever17, 999 suggests that there are multiple realities which no one Junpei experiences but which the player experiences through Junpei and, insodoing, inches his or her way closer to the truth. This is most clearly hinted at in the final scene of Ending 4 where Zero informs Junpei that even though he failed, his failure is not a failure in the grand scheme of things.

There were some subtle differences though between Ever17's approach and 999's. However, I'm too tired right now, it seems, to clearly remember what these were. ^^;
Old 12-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #14
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
That's the final puzzle.

(you can click it, I've put it in spoilers so others don't see what kind of puzzle it is)
It's a pretty easy Sudoku puzzle, but seeing as they didn't have Sudoku nine years ago, it's easy to see how a little girl might panic and think, "What on Earth am I supposed to do now!?" It's not intuitively obvious unless you're a walking, talking mathematics robot. For everyone else, we had to have the rules and object of the game explained to us. She didn't have that luxury.

"Jumpy, help me! " You can almost hear her thinking. Poor little thing.

Luckily, Junpei does come to her rescue!
Sorry I called it a magic square. Realized my mistake a few minutes later after staring at it. Is Sudoku that recent? I didn't know that.

Plus, being in a life-or-death situation where you're about to get fried would likely fry your brain as well. I doubt I could solve it that easily under those circumstances - I'd be panicking on which row/column/square to start on, and what order would get me out fastest. I probably wouldn't bother checking closely either and make tons of mistakes.

My neck is hurting from tilting sideways. XP This would be so much easier if my laptop screen still worked. It's a tablet too, so it would work just like a DS.

Quote:
So, if you've gotten to the final puzzle, then by definition you've discovered what I was referring to when I said that this game has a Blick Winkel-like aspect to it.

(you can click, others should not unless they too have made it to the final puzzle -AND- also they've completed Ever17)
Like Ever17, 999 suggests that there are multiple realities which no one Junpei experiences but which the player experiences through Junpei and, insodoing, inches his or her way closer to the truth. This is most clearly hinted at in the final scene of Ending 4 where Zero informs Junpei that even though he failed, his failure is not a failure in the grand scheme of things.

There were some subtle differences though between Ever17's approach and 999's. However, I'm too tired right now, it seems, to clearly remember what these were. ^^;
So if Akane is Zero/I/Blick... I'm still confused on what June's appearances (and disappearances) nine years later mean. Is she Akane? Or rather, the future possibility of Akane? How does that work if Junpei hasn't technically "saved" her yet? And was Santa aware of her identity, as well as her "intangibility" all along?
Old 12-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Finish the game. It's all answered.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #16
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

And so it was.

Ending Spoilers

It was a cute ending. ...Maybe a little too cute. I was expecting a little more drama, like a reunion with lots of tears. Instead there was an Egyptian woman hitchhiking in the middle of the desert... o.O; Um, okay.

Was also hoping for character epilogues. I'd like to know what happened to each of them afterwards.

I'm still puzzled on a few things, but I'm too tired to think right now. I'll post lingering questions/a full review tomorrow.

Oh, and what is your final verdict on Lotus?
Old 12-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It was a little too cute. I half laughed with and half rolled my eyes at the bits where Junpei kept stripping the duct tape from _________'s mouth and then mercilessly replacing it when he'd decided he'd heard enough.

But all in all, I think it did its job. When the credits rolled, I still had several major questions about the plot. But the epilogue pretty much addressed all but the most inconsequential of them, so that was very good.

What do you mean, "What is your final verdict on Lotus?" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by me ages ago
Initially, I liked Lotus. Obviously she's a major hottie, but it was also really neat when we discovered that she knew so much about psychiatry and cell biology (Door 4) and computer programming (Door 8 ). But as the story developed, I began to really lose trust in her. Her questionable apathy at times when people seemed to be in danger (Door 4 path's freezer scene, followed up with the search for Snake). My final verdict on Lotus ... well, that'd require me to spoil a whole bunch of endings. ^^; So I won't go there. Not just yet, anyway.
Oh, that! I'd completely forgotten. Well:

I feel like the trip through Door 2 with Seven and Lotus did wonders for both of their characters. We get to learn a lot about Seven's past in this arc, but I also found new respect for Lotus when we got to the torture chamber. That was the first selfless thing she'd done all game: and it was one which for all we knew was going to kill her in a horrifying and painful way. So that gave her some cool points back in my book.

I feel like there was more I had originally wanted to say -- including comments about her in the in_____or room -- but I can't remember what they were now, sorry.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #18
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
(too afraid to read spoilers)

Corsola, are you playing this on DS or using an emulator? If the latter, which one are you using?

I'll be starting 999 earlier than expected because I learned Alternative isn't 100% translated, although I will be starting Muv-Luv shortly.

Talon - did you set your computer to Japanese in the Regional Language Settings?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I have a DS. I played this on my DS.

But yes, as an aside, I do have my computer set to Japanese in the Regional Language Settings for non-Unicode programs. Screencap here.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #20
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
It was a little too cute. I half laughed with and half rolled my eyes at the bits where Junpei kept stripping the duct tape from _________'s mouth and then mercilessly replacing it when he'd decided he'd heard enough.
Yeah, I think 999's biggest flaw was that it often failed to take itself seriously enough. It's like the writers were afraid of coming across as too dramatic, so they always took a step back by inserting some lame pun to "relieve the tension". Unfortunately, this kept me from perceiving the characters and situation as realistic, since they were obviously designed simply to entertain the gamer for a short time - not to form long-term emotional connections. 'Tis a shame. If they played their cards right, they might've had the makings of a handheld epic... Almost like a mini-Ever17. As it is, it's more like Ever17 Abridged.

Quote:
What do you mean, "What is your final verdict on Lotus?" ...

Oh, that! I'd completely forgotten. Well:

I feel like the trip through Door 2 with Seven and Lotus did wonders for both of their characters. We get to learn a lot about Seven's past in this arc, but I also found new respect for Lotus when we got to the torture chamber. That was the first selfless thing she'd done all game: and it was one which for all we knew was going to kill her in a horrifying and painful way. So that gave her some cool points back in my book.
Hearing Lotus's story about her kids also upped my sympathy for her. I would've liked to meet them. I think I recognized one in the artwork where Snake was handing out the clovers.

Do you remember if Lotus thanked Seven after learning he was the cop who saved her children? If not, that and potentially an invitation to visit her home to see the kids would've made nice additions to the epilogue, especially given the tsundere dynamic between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Corsola, are you playing this on DS or using an emulator? If the latter, which one are you using?
I used No$GBA. The game works fine, but the final puzzle is made slightly difficult by the fact you can't rotate the emulator. Just tilt your head or screen (if you have a laptop) and you can still solve it.

Oh, and a tip: + on the number pad acts as a turbo button. XP (I discovered I can also keep it set by holding it down and clicking to another window.)
Old 12-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't remember if Seven ever revealed his true identity in front of Lotus before (bad end paths) she died or (good end paths) she was abducted by Hongou.

Certainly she owes him gratitude for rescuing her kids if they were amongst those left behind in the incinerator. Even if her kids were part of the group that went ahead through the door labeled '9' inside the incinerator, I'd still think that she ought to find some new respect for the big lug.

As for Seven x Lotus, it seems to kind of be hinted at through their bickering every now and then, but I actually didn't get strong vibes for romantic relationships out of 999. Even June x Junpei felt forced, conditional, if you will. More like we were told that they liked one another and less like we could see it for ourselves, y'know? Very Amidala x Anakin Skywalker, if that makes any sense. [/neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd]
Old 12-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #22
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
I don't remember if Seven ever revealed his true identity in front of Lotus before (bad end paths) she died or (good end paths) she was abducted by Hongou.

Certainly she owes him gratitude for rescuing her kids if they were amongst those left behind in the incinerator. Even if her kids were part of the group that went ahead through the door labeled '9' inside the incinerator, I'd still think that she ought to find some new respect for the big lug.

As for Seven x Lotus, it seems to kind of be hinted at through their bickering every now and then, but I actually didn't get strong vibes for romantic relationships out of 999. Even June x Junpei felt forced, conditional, if you will. More like we were told that they liked one another and less like we could see it for ourselves, y'know? Very Amidala x Anakin Skywalker, if that makes any sense. [/neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd]
Oh, right. Lotus was left in the dark in the True Ending, which she was complaining about. Hmph. That's why I wanted a longer epilogue, which would tie together all the individual character developments.

Yeah, the romance wasn't too compelling. Still, it might've been cute (in a less silly way) if the writers decided to drop hints of a future relationship between the two.

Never seen Star Wars, but I don't think you have to be a nerd in order to. ^^;
Old 01-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #23
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Since I'm back in a speculative mood and Dopple brought up 999 the other day, I may as well post the major question that's still on my mind after finishing the game:

Who killed everyone in the submarine ending?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #24
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In response:
I read somewhere that it's supposedly Cap (the fat bearded bozo who was dressed up to be the captain of the boat), but I sure hope that that's just some retarded fan theory because it's completely stupid.

I personally imagined that it was June (Akane), and that she had only been pretending to die in Junpei's arms. But I think that that's retarded too!

So I dunno. It's peculiar, that's for sure.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:52 AM   #25
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Haven't gotten very far, the ship just sunk. Someone said there's something involving the dual screen of the DS, so I'm going in thinking the narrator and main guy are different people.

How long is this, exactly? I'm debating whether or not to simply finish SnK because I think it'll be shorter to get through, and I won't have to do the active analysis to try and figure out what's going on.

(I spent the whole day playing Hanafuda so I'm quite tired)
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games