UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 09-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Dunsparce Pokémon Gold and Silver discussion thread

So, with Gold and Silver out for the Virtual Console now, I'm thinking a thread like this would be in order, so we can discuss our respective playthroughs, our teams, our progress, things like that.

Right now, I'm playing Gold, currently trying to boot Team Rocket out of the Slowpoke Well. And the team is as follows:

Unown (G), genderless, lv. 14
~Hidden Power (Psychic)

Togepi, male, lv. 14
~Swift
~Mud-Slap
~Charm
~Metronome

Chikorita, female, lv. 15
~Razor Leaf
~Tackle
~Reflect
~Poison Powder

Future additions to the team will include Lapras and Stantler. Undecided on a sixth- I'm considering Weezing, of course, but I haven't made a final decision there yet.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

...Scratch what I said about Lapras. Ralph just called to inform me of a Qwilfish swarm immediately before I got the Lure Ball from Kurt. If that's not a sign, I don't know what is.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
Heather
Naga's Voice

I'm currently doing a nuzlocke of Silver because I just like agony I guess.

Team is as follows:

Lars, Quilava (M) Lv 14
Lark, Pidgey (F) Lv 13
Andesite, Geodude (M) Lv 12
Pedro, Beedrill (M) Lv 10
Myrtle, Gastly (F) Lv 12
Beruka, Zubat (F) Lv 6

Going to go out and pray for a Mareep because I desperately need a counter for Silver's Croconaw before we hit Azalea and unfortunately with Bite in the picture, Spite Spam with Myrtle isn't an option to deprive it of Water attacks, though that is how I hope to render Murdercow incapable of Murder. Can't touch a female Gastly if you're out of Rollouts, punk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Yikes. Yeah, I think I legit lost a Crystal Nuzlocke to that Croconaw once.

Did you catch an Unown, or are you not bothering? Unown can be surprisingly worthwhile in Nuzlockes in my experience. One time, had this Unown H with HP Flying. Glyph lasted me until near Lake of Rage, when it took two separate five-hit Double Slaps from a Clefairy, the second of which landed three separate crits, to finish it off.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
Heather
Naga's Voice

The first Unown I found (hahahah it was an unown-i) had HP either ground, Ghost, or Psychic (it hit Myrtle for SE), none of which was really going to serve my purposes too well, so I passed it up. Maybe if I'd been able to confirm electric i would have gone for it against Falkner and maybe as a way to soften up croconaw, but nope.

Quote:
Old 09-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
Miror
Marsh Badge

Got Gold for VC as well, team is currently:

Irwin the Male Croconaw, Level 18
OnePercent the Male Dunsparce, Level 18
Popple the Male Gastly, Level 18
Cut Slave the Male Paras, Level 6

I could honestly be Nuzlocking bar Dunsparce taking 20 minutes to find (have yet to have anything get KO'd though so hey), just got into Goldenrod. Forgot how borked Rage can be in early game as both Irwin and OnePercent have it lol

Currently wanting to add 3/4 of Growlithe, Mankey, Natu, or Scyther to the team (sorry Paras but I just needed something for Cut :c), not entirely sure which yet but we'll see.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:56 PM   #7
Heather
Naga's Voice

>Irwin the Croconaw
I've done that name before for probably the same reason you are probably using it.

Quote:
Old 09-24-2017, 10:59 PM   #8
Miror
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
>Irwin the Croconaw
I've done that name before for probably the same reason you are probably using it.
Prolly, I've also named my Mantine in ASB Irwin because I'm a terrible person but :c
Old 09-24-2017, 11:45 PM   #9
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Dunsparce! Nice! Even in the days before Serene Grace, I do love that thing.

In other news, made it past Azalea Gym and my rival, currently making my way through Ilex Forest. Qwilfish was a huge help with both, and Unown wasn't too shabby either. Anyway, gonna call it a night, here's the team so far:

Qwilfish, female, lv. 15
~Poison Sting
~Headbutt
~Harden
~Minimize

Togepi, male, lv. 15
~Swift
~Mud-Slap
~Charm
~Metronome

Unown (G), genderless, lv. 16
~Hidden Power (Psychic)

Bayleef@Miracle Seed, female, lv. 16
~Razor Leaf
~Cut
~Reflect
~Poison Powder
Old 09-25-2017, 08:32 PM   #10
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Alright, just took on Whitney. Only used Unown and Bayleef. Nobody fainted whatsoever. Unown handled Clefairy like a boss (it helped that Clefairy Metronomed a missed Thunder, and then Metronomed a Sky Attack, both of which gave Unown free turns to attack), and then Bayleef sets up Reflect, goes for Poison Powder, and KOs Miltank with two Razor Leaf attacks, one of which is a crit. I... I am stunned. I figured the Miltank of Death would be a team effort to take down. I mean, I'm not looking a gift Ponyta in the mouth here- I am most definitely cool with not having a frustrating time against the Miltank of Death- I'm just a bit surprised, is all.

Well, onward to Ecruteak City, then, I suppose. I'll be catching my sixth team member along the way.

EDIT: I'm looking at my team- nobody's HP even dropped below half! I... I have never had such an easy time with this Gym! I am stunned! Truly I wish you all this level of luck with Goldenrod Gym as well.

Last edited by Missingno. Master; 09-25-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Missingno. Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 PM   #11
Miror
Marsh Badge

Yeah I don't remember ever struggling particularly with Whitney, this time around I out-cheesed her with Glare/Headbutt Dunsparce. Made it through Morty no issue and now am in the weird in between of where to go next. Team is currently:

Irwin the Male Croconaw, Level 25
OnePercent the Male Dunsparce, Level 25
Popple the Male Haunted, Level 25
Quetzal the Female Xatu, Level 25
Buster the Male Growlithe, Level 24
Cut Slave the Male Paras, Level 7
Old 09-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #12
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

So yeah, made it to Ecruteak. And Olivine. And Mahogany. I do believe I've bested all the Trainers I don't need Surf to access, outside of the Burned Tower and the Ecruteak Gym. And I'm going through the Burned Tower now. Beat my rival, taking out the Firebreathers, and am about to unleash the legendary gerbils upon a poor, unsuspecting Johto. Also, as I said I'd do, I caught my sixth team member en route to Ecruteak- not to be taken for granite, Sudowoodo joins the team!
Old 09-27-2017, 12:12 AM   #13
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

So yeah, just cleared out the Ecruteak Gym. Pretty pleased with how the Gym battle went. First off, Unown OHKO'd Gastly with Hidden Power. Well, I say OHKO'd, but Gastly did get off a Curse beforehand, so yeah. But I'm willing to bet it would've OHKO'd regardless. I then sent in Togepi to deal with Haunter. Again, Haunter went for Curse, leaving Togepi to take out the other half of its HP in one move. Then I sent in Stantler against Gengar. Hypnosis, Nightmare, spammed Flash, down went Gengar. I had equipped a Mint Berry to Stantler, replacing his Pink Bow just for this battle, but there was no need, as Gengar's own Hypnosis missed! I then sent Togepi in to handle the remaining Haunter, which it did beautifully, winning me the battle, and to top it all off, the level it gained from those two Haunter was finally enough to get Togepi to evolve into a Togetic!

Might call it a night soon. In the meantime, here's the team:

Unown (G), genderless, lv. 24
~Hidden Power (Psychic)

Togetic@Charcoal, male, lv. 25
~Headbutt
~Fire Blast
~Rock Smash
~Shadow Ball

Sudowoodo@Quick Claw, male, lv. 24
~Rock Throw
~Dig
~Low Kick
~Strength

Stantler@Pink Bow, male, lv. 24
~Headbutt
~Flash
~Hypnosis
~Nightmare

Qwilfish, female, lv. 24
~Surf
~Headbutt
~Poison Sting
~Minimize

Bayleef@Miracle Seed, female, lv. 25
~Razor Leaf
~Cut
~Reflect
~Poison Powder
Old 09-27-2017, 01:37 AM   #14
Miror
Marsh Badge

Made my way through Chuck, Jasmine, and Pryce, as well as the Mahogany Town Team Rocket Hideout. Had my first legendary dog sighting (Suicune!), and am now slogging my way through the Radio Tower/Goldenrod Underground. I'd forgotten how constant the poison/paralyze/confusion statuses arose when fighting Team Rocket as well as the assorted Selfdestruct, so that's been fun. Team update is as follows:

Irwin the Male Feraligatr, Level 31
OnePercent the Male Dunsparce, Level 31
Popple the Male Gengar, Level 31
Quetzal the Female Xatu, Level 31
Buster the Male Growlithe, Level 31
Gigan the Male Scyther, Level 31
Old 09-27-2017, 08:58 AM   #15
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
>Togetic with Shadow Ball

This bothers me in gen 2.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #16
Chalis
Activating Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raves View Post

^

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:08 PM   #17
Miror
Marsh Badge

Beat the Elite Four, things weren't too tricky (bar Koga's Crobat just Double Teaming me into purgatory), went through the S.S. Aqua and made it to Kanto. Also finally got a Metal Coat thanks to the grandfather with the lost child on the ship so I finally evolved my Scyther. Now just have to get the Fire Stone from Bill's grandfather and the Psychic TM for Xatu in Saffron if I don't want to wait until level 65 for it to have any Psychic-type move. Team is now as follows:

Irwin the Male Feraligatr, Level 42
OnePercent the Male Dunsparce, Level 41
Popple the Male Gengar, Level 43
Quetzal the Female Xatu, Level 41
Buster the Male Growlithe, Level 41
Gigan the Male Scizor, Level 41
Old 09-29-2017, 11:20 PM   #18
Heather
Naga's Voice

Well after that hellish week I got to a little progress on my nuzlocke...and I was almost up the damn creek without a paddle, because I did not find a Mareep south ofviolet as I'd hoped, but rather an Ekans that Andesite KO'd with a regular Tackle. Thankfully, Amrita the Oddish has given me a Croconaw counter so now I'm not totally screwed! Teamshot:

Lars, Quilava (M) Lv 15
Lark, Pidgey (F) Lv 14
Myrtle, Gastly (F), Lv 14
Andesite, Geodude (M) Lv 15
Pedro, Beedrill (M) Lv 11
Amrita, Oddish (F), Lv 6

Quote:
Old 09-30-2017, 08:40 PM   #19
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raves View Post

Yeah, I know it's not ideal with Togetic's (lack of) Attack, but it's the only thing on the team that learns it, and the Sp. Def drop could happen, maybe help out Fire Blast a bit sometimes? Worst case scenario, it doesn't do me any good, and I delete it for something else.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #20
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Alright, so, I've been going around, doing stuff with Surf now that I gots me the Fog Badge. On Route 29, after scoring the Rare Candy over in Kanto, ran into Raikou. Had Stantler in the lead, and I know that if Raikou chooses Roar as its move for that turn, its fleeing will have negative priority, so I took a gamble, picked Hypnosis. Sure enough, Hypnosis hits. Feeling daring, I follow up with Nightmare and start chucking Great Balls. Nothing doing. Raikou doesn't wake up, however, and I try fleeing when its HP is at 3/4s, but got "Can't escape!". Now, how does that even? How does that even? It's sound asleep, and would run away itself as soon as it wakes up, and yet, it won't let me flee. I was scared for a second, but miraculously, the fourth bout of Nightmare damage reduced Raikou's HP to what has got to be 1 exactly. Next turn I was able to flee. Learned minutes later that roamers do not retain sleep between battles (ran into it again on Route 30, wasn't even trying!), but still, I just managed to reduce Raikou's HP to exactly 1! I gotta restock on Poké Balls- all I got on me at the moment is a Heavy Ball. I used the last of my Great Balls back on Route 30- used the last one in an attempt to catch Raikou in that encounter where it wasn't asleep anymore. Didn't catch it. But I'll get it.

Will post an update on my team later on, mainly because there's not a lot to update y'all on at the moment. Hoping to get at least one more Gym badge today.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:36 AM   #21
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Wait a minute! What happened there? Chuck's Poliwrath used Mind Reader on Qwilfish. Next turn, it went for Hypnosis, but the move failed! And no, Qwilfish was not already statused. Poliwrath was poisoned, though, and fainted from poison damage that same turn.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:56 AM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
Wait a minute! What happened there? Chuck's Poliwrath used Mind Reader on Qwilfish. Next turn, it went for Hypnosis, but the move failed! And no, Qwilfish was not already statused. Poliwrath was poisoned, though, and fainted from poison damage that same turn.
In Generation 2, Qwilfish had the ability Insomnia. This was changed in Generation 3 with the advent of Poison Point to better suit the Pokémon.

... No, but seriously, that sounds sort of like the Gen 1 glitches we often hear about. Like how ATV the Venomoth managed to defeat Lance's Dragonite because lololol Agility was Psychic-type spammed against the Poison-type moth to no effect. I wonder if you have the right idea about the move failing due to Poliwrath's poisoned status. I wonder if you can't replicate it by having one of your Pokémon be deliberately poisoned, attempt to use Mind Reader followed by Hypnosis against an enemy, and see what happens.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:19 AM   #23
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Definitely gotta try to replicate it, yeah. It'll have to wait until I can get a Water Stone, of course, but I'm putting it on my to-do list.

Anyway, though, I've gotten two more badges since this happened. Pryce should be ashamed at how easily a Bayleef ripped through two thirds of his team. And if not ashamed at that, then certainly ashamed of the fact that the only reason said Bayleef didn't rip through his whole team was because I wanted Unown to have a shot against Seel. And as for Jasmine, Sudowoodo took out one Magnemite with Dig. Then came Steelix, and I knew I could trick this one into sealing its own fate. Sure enough, brought out Qwilfish, then switched to Togetic. Sure enough, the presence of a Water-type prompted Steelix to use Sunny Day, paving the way for a nice and toasty Fire Blast. And then another Fire Blast for the remaining Magnemite.

Anyway, now that Team Rocket seems to have taken over the Radio Tower and most of Goldenrod City, this seems like a perfectly reasonable time to call it a night. Here's the team:

Sudowoodo@Soft Sand, male, lv. 30
~Rock Slide
~Dig
~Low Kick
~Strength

Qwilfish@Mystic Water, female, lv. 30
~Sludge Bomb
~Surf
~Headbutt
~Icy Wind

Unown (G)@Quick Claw, genderless, lv. 30
~Hidden Power (Psychic)
~-
~-
~-

Stantler@Pink Bow, male, lv. 30
~Headbutt
~Flash
~Hypnosis
~Nightmare

Togetic@Charcoal, male, lv. 30
~Headbutt
~Fire Blast
~Fly
~Shadow Ball

Bayleef@Miracle Seed, female, lv. 31
~Razor Leaf
~Body Slam
~Reflect
~Cut
Old 10-02-2017, 08:08 AM   #24
Heather
Naga's Voice

I know at least in generation I, beyond the accuracy check, the opponent had a chance for all status moves that weren't self targeting to just fail for no particular reason. Maybe that's carried over into Gen 2?

Quote:
Old 10-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #25
Beautiful Savage
Oh, hello

I have a lot of free time today and you guys have inspired me, so I 'm starting a run of Silver on an emulator (no VC unfortunately). Just to set the mood, I'll be listening to the album Wild Onion by Twin Peaks while doing this. So far my team is:

Archie the Level 6 Totodile! He knows Scratch and Leer! I'll keep popping in as I beat gyms.

Update: Beat Falkner, and my team is as follows:

Archie the Level 11 Totodile
Becca the Level 13 Pidgey
Trish the Level 11 Sentret
Egg the Egg

Update: Beat Bugsy on my second try, got unlucky the first time and got swept by Fury Cutter Scyther. Anyway, my team is as follows:

Archie the Level 16 Totodile
Becca the Level 16 Pidgey
Liz the Level 15 Bellsprout
Cooper the Level 16 Flaaffy
Trish the Level 15 Furret

I also have Egg the Togepi and Taylor the Ekans boxed away, and I'm switching my music from Wild Onion by Twin Peaks to Emotion by Carly Rae Jepsen.

Update: Beat Whitney with Archie's Rage. Take that, bitch. Anyway, my team is as follows:

Archie the Level 19 Croconaw
Nandi the Level 16 Pineco
Cooper the Level 18 Flaaffy
Becca the Level 18 Pidgeotto
Trish the Level 17 Furret
Liz the Level 17 Bellsprout

Trish is likely to go once I find something I like more, and I've been finding Liz a bit underwhelming. I do like grass types though, so I probably won't get rid of her unless I find something I like a lot more.

Last edited by Beautiful Savage; 10-02-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Beautiful Savage is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON