UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 09-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Duke Nukem Forever

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/...y-be-released/

Quote:
“Duke Nukem Forever,” a video game synonymous with never being released, is finally being released.

The first person shooter about a space marine with a penchant for off-color humor who battles aliens with increasingly destructive weapons, was to be the fourth installment in a series of games that garnered critical praise and generated controversy for its depiction of women. After 10 years in development, 3D Realms, the studio behind the game, announced it was shutting down in 2009.

The game is being finished by Gearbox Software and will be published by Take-Two Interactive, publisher of the “Grand Theft Auto” series. The game is being shown to consumers and the press for the first time at a video game convention today. Gearbox hopes to release the game next year.

Discuss.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
I don't believe it for a second. The only way they could make it work is to release it with Chinese Democracy as the Soundtrack in the hope that the two cancel eachother out.

Duke Nukem 3D was kickass back in the day (i.e when I was four) though.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's not the same thing.

Stuff.
Spoiler: show
It'd be like if Bungie were to come along and say, "Hey, we're putting out this game next fall called Duke Nukem Forever." Just because they share the same name doesn't make them the same venture. The venture known as Duke Nukem Forever -- the venture which was lauded and ridiculed for almost an entire decade -- died last year when the development team was disbanded and the company for which they'd previously work had disbanded.

Let's put it another way. Suppose I make a game and I decide to call it "Shenmue III." And inside of the game, there's a guy named Ryo Hazuki who lost his dad. And there's another guy named Lan Di who killed Ryo's dad. People would not accept this game as the Shenmue III. They'd say, "It's just some kid stealing the name of a highly-anticipated sequel and slapping it onto his POS fan-made video game." Sure, this game may have a blond buff army guy in a black tank-top named Duke Nukem. Sure, the environment may be similar to that in previous Duke Nukem games. But it's not the same venture. This venture is little less than a year old and already they're promising a release in the next year. That's not laughably behind schedule: that's ridiculously speedy.

Still, I'll be interested to see what it looks like. I'm crushed that the original game didn't come out back in, like, 2005. Even then, the trailer that had been released for the game was jaw dropping. I mean, hell: it STILL passes for "barely acceptable" and it's 2010, man. This game would have been amazing had they simply fucking released it.

Duke Nukem Forever trailer from early 2000s

less impressive trailer from 1-2 years ago

I mean, seriously: terminator-style robots, aliens of all shapes and sizes, pinball, presidential abduction, riding a burro, driving a motorcycle while shooting a shotgun ... as one person put it six hours ago, "This had so much potential to be Half-Life's bigger and more badass brother."

Well, I found out that there is already gameplay footage. Cool.

Video #1
Video #2

What can I say? I'm impressed. It looks pretty good (at least to me it does). Now I'll just have to wonder if what I said in the spoiler-box will hold true. Is this just another generic FPS that has the name "Duke Nukem Forever" slapped onto it? Or does this feel like the next in the Duke Nukem franchise?

Last edited by Talon87; 09-04-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I agree with Talon in that it doesn't seem like the success story of 3D Realms getting their stuff together and making a ground-breaking game. But, supposedly some people from the now-dead 3D Realms team ARE working on this release, so it's sort of like a reincarnation.

I also have to second the fear of it being generic - while Duke was the first FPS hero to have a personality, and while his game was more immersive than any other FPS, the original also added some technological improvements that really made it (and to a greater extent Shadow Warrior) show the best 2D game engines could do with a FPS. Except for the bosses. :X

But since DN3D game out, the long development cycle for DNF allowed other games to steal what should have been Duke's thunder. DNF, to be a "success" must eclipse Valve games. It must eclipse Grand Theft Auto # and Metal Gear Solid. Halo. Call of Duty 4. Team Fortress 2 (one of the first games I've heard of to hearken back to '90s era humour). So many excellent games have come out since then that have done what Duke did, but bigger and better. It's tough to imagine a sequel to the original could one-up all of them.

Also Talon - that first trailer isn't actual gameplay. All of that was created solely for the trailer. I definitely want the immersion promised in that game to be brought over to the actual release though.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Seeing as it was made in 2001, that's still impressive. And seeing as they intended to carry it over into the actual in-game experience (whether they could have or not being shelved for now), it's still impressive. It suggests, "This is what they wanted to achieve, in-game, in 2001."

I think it's fair to say that the DNF shown in the 2001 trailer officially died or fell behind the times with the leakage of the source code for Half-Life 2 back in 2004, soon after which time the game was officially released. Half-Life 2 looks more polished in-game than does what's shown in the DNF trailer. At that moment, 3D Realms had to (and did, further delaying the project) start all over from the ground up IF they wanted to one-up everyone in the industry.

That's really the problem with 3D Realms. They had this remarkable arrogance or pride towards their game, pick your descriptor, which prevented them from releasing a title that would be considered second fiddle for its generation. They just had to be #1. And so the game never even came out.

I'd liken it to video game hardware adoption. Suppose it's the year 1998 and a kid is considering replacing his SNES with a new console. He hears about the N64 but he says, "No, the next gen is upon us. I've heard talk of Sega's DreamCast. So I'm waiting." He waits a year. It's now 1999. And out comes the DreamCast. But does he purchase it? No. "I'm waiting for everyone to enter into the foray." So he waits. 2000 comes, so does the PS2, but he waits. 2001 finally rolls around, and at the end of the year he sees the GameCube and the XBox arrive on store shelves. But does he buy any of them? No. "I've heard that there's going to be a slim PS2 on the way." Every time he sniffs wind of a bigger and better console release, he stays his hand and refrains from purchasing a currently-available console. Because he can't bear the thought of purchasing a console only to have it become yesterday's news within a year, he holds off indefinitely.

That was 3D Realms' problem. They weren't willing to be second fiddle. Every time something great came out, they had to go back to the drawing board so they could one up it. But the problem is that great games come out yearly, and it takes longer than a year to develop a video game.

Especially if you're 3D Realms.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Valve has a similar problem, partially because they're trying to be considerate to people with weak PCs. I suspect HL3 will come out with a brand new 3D engine that tops Source and most of the engines out now while needing only moderately more power than the current Source minimum. That could happen anytime from now to never. But in the downtime, they're still earning money by pimping and over pimping HL2 with expansions and hiring mod teams to develop games for them.

3D Realms, which was formerly Apogee (of all corporations!), only put out Duke expansions and Shadow Warrior in the time between DN3D and now. SW was an amazingly impressive game, so they were clearly capable of putting other games out, but why they didn't do what Valve's doing now puzzles me. It would have given them the resources to put out their DNF dream-game at least.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

The old 2001 trailer was said to be faked. (source) It was something to show the public. How much of it was real in-game stuff is likely something we will never know since that stuff is all gone.

The only reason people are putting a bit more hope in this new Duke Nuke'em Forever being released is because Gearbox (the guys who made Borderlands and a lot of other good shooters) is working on it now. They also purchased the Intellectual Property so they're probably going to make more than one.

Unfortunately, they will probably be working hard to rebuild Duke's image. Duke Nuke'em likes to think of itself as the first mature style game of its time. But after all these years, there's nothing new. Strippers, nudity, guts and gore are all nothing new. And badass heroes are not uncommon.

Well, let's hope it comes out and is at least a decent game. Although, after 12 years, I'm sure we're all expecting it to be as awesome as Zero Punctuation's video makes it.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

They may intend to turn it into the Mortal Kombat of shooters: vulgar, obscene, absurdly brutal. I had forgotten just how raw the Duke can be, but last night I was watching some videos on Youtube of Duke Nukem 3D, and one line stood out to me in particular:

"I'm gonna rip off your head and shit down your neck."

Not exactly the sort of thing you'd want your children hearing, laughing at, emulating at school, and then being sent to detention for when they're overheard by one of the teachers.

So, even if sex / nudity isn't a big deal anymore (hello!), I imagine that Duke Nukem's attempt to be sexually controversial once again will be to kick things up a ratings notch via spoken dialogue or in-game mechanics.

For instance, in Duke Nukem 3D, he punts the third boss's eyeball through the field goal posts, right? So there might be similarly ridiculous things in this game, like Duke playing the drums on a girl's boobs ...

... although even that's been done before -- and during the development of DNF, too! lol
Old 09-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
I played Duke Nukem 3D when I was about 6. I'd like to think I'm reasonably socially well adjusted, and have never particularly felt the need to shit down anyone's neck.

That punting of the third bosses' eyeball was pretty damned awesome as well.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
They may intend to turn it into the Mortal Kombat of shooters: vulgar, obscene, absurdly brutal. I had forgotten just how raw the Duke can be, but last night I was watching some videos on Youtube of Duke Nukem 3D, and one line stood out to me in particular:
Duke was always a parody of the 80's action hero taken to its logical extreme though, and at least he can still be relevant in this era of First Person Shooters with military/space marines fighting aliens/terrorists/alien terrorists being played completely straight. On the other hand, Mortal Kombat is pretty much testament to Ed Boon's pathetically earnest belief that Street Fighter could be improved with significantly more gore and color-swapped ninja.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

According to 2kgames, GearBox had to do very little as it was near completion, they just put the final touches to it.

But it could be propaganda.
Treepandaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #12
Loki

Yes, but if we left 3D Realms to finish up, they would wait for the new Unreal Engine, then say they need to update to it and because it is coded entirely differently, they need to redo 97% of the content they had already worked on. And with that, we would need another 12 years to get it. And 3D Realms has said to have a working copy of Duke Nuke'em Forever for almost all 12 of the years they have been making the game. They've had their fake trailer, their other mini-demos, and even had people test the game as seen in the Jace Hall show in June 2008. But it never came out.

Gearbox will say the game comes out in 2011 and the game will come out. Maybe a tiny bit late, but not decades late.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:37 AM   #13
McSweeney
Soul Badge

"I'm gonna rip off your head and shit down your neck."

That was originally a quote from Full Metal Jacket. Most of Duke's quotes were taken from existing movies.

"Hail to the king, baby" - Army of Darkness
"I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of bubble gum" - They Live

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Duke's quotes were stolen but also sort of tongue-in-cheek throwback to the original games. In DN2, he was portrayed as a typical ex-Military who fought off the alien enslavement of humanity simply because he was annoyed by them interfering with his television binges. Which is consistent with him quoting a lot of movies, and thinking he's the star of his own action movie (which he is).

That's just one reason why I preferred SW though...Lo Wang had a lot more original dialogue.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 09-06-2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: game to games + reason.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #15
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I only ever played the original Duke Nuke Em, the really old 2D one, and yeah I still remember the intro:

"I'm gonna save the world and still be home in time to watch Oprah!"

Never played Shadow Warrior, but I did read about it in a really old PC games magazine. There was an easter egg where you could find Usagi from Sailor Moon!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
I only ever played the original Duke Nuke Em, the really old 2D one, and yeah I still remember the intro:

"I'm gonna save the world and still be home in time to watch Oprah!"
I also played DN1 but the only line I remember specifically was Apogee assuring the player that Duke Nukem was "Better than Nintendo!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
Never played Shadow Warrior, but I did read about it in a really old PC games magazine. There was an easter egg where you could find Usagi from Sailor Moon!
Oh, it goes far beyond that.

In spite of my professed adoration for the game I only played the first four levels of the Shareware, but it's the most mind-bogglingly awesome Shareware game as far as interactivity and parody are concerned. Highly recommend trying it out! I think you can even download the full version free now, I'm not sure.

My favourite weapon was the missile launcher. Players could upgrade it twice - once with the heat-seeker card for tracking missiles, and the second time with a nuclear warhead.

It took a few seconds for Lo Wang to fire the Nuke, but doing so was spectacularly destructive.

"Just like Hiroshima!"
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Writes Tycho Brahe on penny-arcade.com,

I was surprised to learn that PAX was home to a few announcements, imagining that this year's Surprise Meter had been depleted altogether. We were startled when people from our own show had asked us what we thought about Duke Nukem Forever being playable at our own show, because we didn't know that it was - our internal map for that booth simply reads "Gearbox."

LOL. That's really cool, actually. Kudos to Gearbox for keeping the unveiling that tightly-lipped.

===========================================

The following bits are from an article on Wired.com. Enjoy!
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/09/duke-nukem-pax/

Quote:
I saw enough [gameplay footage] to reassure anyone worried that a developer change would take the edge off Duke’s greasy sexist charm. Perhaps the high point was the arrival of a building-size, grotesque green alien with three pendulous nude breasts.

“Yeah, I’d still hit it,” Duke growled.
Quote:
The demo began with space marine Duke Nukem engaging in his favorite recreational activity: urinating. Right Trigger: Piss read the on-screen button prompt. Draining Duke’s bladder, I found myself outside in a hallway with some army buddies who were gathered around a whiteboard that described Operation: Cock Block. Apparently we were going to shoot a giant alien.

At this moment, all hell broke loose and the corridors we were inside started getting destroyed, presumably by the giant alien described on the whiteboard. Running around watching men die all around me, I found a big gun, helpfully loaded with exactly 69 bullets. Ha ha.

Arriving in a football field in front of the giant alien himself, I unloaded bullets into him until he hit the floor. At that moment I jumped on him and tore out his eyeball. “A: Kick a field goal,” the screen read. I did. It was good.
Quote:
As the first level came to its touching denouement, the camera pulled back to reveal that the giant alien fight was really just Duke playing a copy of Duke Nukem Forever. While receiving oral sex. From two women at once.

“What about the game, Duke? Was it good?” asked one.

“Yeah,” Duke replied. “But after 12 fuckin’ years, it had better be.”
That last bit, if it's really in the game and is not just the Wired writer pulling our legs, is probably the single best breaking of the fourth wall I have ever heard of. Holy shit. lol

Last edited by Talon87; 09-06-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:27 AM   #18
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So what did people think?

I heard the exploration/adventure element was terrible, which is a DANG SHAME, because the immersive environments were ALWAYS the best elements of 3D Realms games.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #19
deoxys
Fog Badge

I, too, heard it was pretty much "go from point a to point b" and that the pop culture references felt dated and awkward, or didn't work as well as they would have in the 90's.

A shame. I heard they will be remaking DN3D, though, as a joint project alongside modders (or something).
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #20
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
So what did people think?

I heard the exploration/adventure element was terrible, which is a DANG SHAME, because the immersive environments were ALWAYS the best elements of 3D Realms games.
I saw the TotalBiscuit runthrough of the first hour, which was enough of a killjoy for me.

"Oh hey we finally gave you a pistol, now go kiVEHICLE SECTION"

It's a game I wanted to be good, even though I knew it probably wouldn't be simply because it would have been a nice change in tone from Serious Army Man War Simulators of Duty. I'm going to hold off until it's dirt cheap on Steam, though.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #21
Loki

Bulletstorm is considered the modern Duke Nukem with better 'fun' shooting mechanics and silly humor. Duke really is a dinosaur that should have been released back when they originally announced it and not in 2011.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #22
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So I missed the boat and the real Duke Nukem Forever was actually released a couple years ago. Turns out it was locked in a sealed vault within 3D Realms studios and was only discovered through bankruptcy liquidation.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games