UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 10-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #376
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
Sorry if not everyone has the game and henceforth doesn't feel its appropriate to post in the playthrough thread.
"Henceforth" is synonymous not with "therefore" but with "from now on".
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #377
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
"Henceforth" is synonymous not with "therefore" but with "from now on".
Not sure whether to laugh or get angry. But thanks anyways.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #378
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Still dont have the game, and am not looking at the rest of the forums.

I'd ideally like to keep this thread spoiler free so if you have a spoiler as an avatar don't post in this thread. >o

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #379
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I wonder if any of our members have beaten the new game yet. It's certainly possible, as the games've been out nearly two days now (and, in the UK, closer to three days due to their early release), but I wonder. I don't think I'd have beaten it by now, that's for sure. ^^;

Curious to know how many copies sold this weekend. Probably won't hear anything until later this week, but I'm kinda hopeful we'll hear something tomorrow. I wonder if the games sold out in most/nearly all/all regions in the US or not. I doubt it, but then again, Japan sold out over million copies in pre-orders alone, so who knows. I'd also love to know the sales of 2DSes. Would be interested to compare those two figures. Also, I kept meaning to go out to the stores yesterday and today to see if anywhere here sold out or not but I ended up not going. Might try tomorrow (despite it being Columbus Day). Like I mentioned before, I really wouldn't expect it to have been difficult to obtain a copy as a casual shopper this weekend, but Japan's situation has me wondering if I was wrong about this one.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #380
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

@Talon- Given my experience this weekend, I think you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a copy. I was up in Grand Rapids, MI helping with the Comic-Con, and a group of us bought the game at a Meijer at around 12:30 AM. They still had plenty at that point. Then we stopped at a different one the next evening so my brother could pick up a copy, and that store still had both versions as well.

I would think Indiana would be much the same. Gamestop and the like might be sold out, but some of the bigger shopping centers like Walmart or Meijer probably still have some.

No idea about the 2DS, although the Nintendo rep at the con said she had sold one (since she had an unopened one with her) to someone there that was interested. Didn't get to play with the one she had there myself, unfortunately. I was working the entire day, and that room was rather busy.
Schala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #381
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I think you may misunderstand my intent. If I had been going to get a copy for myself, I'd have done so launch midnight. ^^; I'm just curious as to whether or not Indiana sold out. (Though your Michigan comparison, I agree, indicates that that's not likely.) I'll probably not get a copy before getting a 2DS/3DS -- and that's now looking to be unlikely until after the new year. Who knows, I could end up getting it this week, but ... doubtful. ^^; Will probably just bunker down, wait out the holiday season, and hope for a "LOL! Thanks for the free extra $30, suckers! " out of Nintendo as they announce a price drop on one or more of their three models.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #382
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

So is the entire board going to be expected to hold off on spoilers until the new year o0
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #383
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
So is the entire board going to be expected to hold off on spoilers until the new year o0
No one ever said anything of the kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
Don't worry, spoiler rules will hold. However when the release date rolls around we're probably going to have a "dont be a dick rule". That is to say, don't be a dick about major plot spoilers or really awesome hidden stuff. This is going to be harder to enforce, but generally UPN is mega awesome about this sort of thing so I'm confident it'll be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
In all fairness, IIRC you promised / Jeri promised / someone promised them that they'd be able to start discussing spoilers in the TOs once the games came out. That, once the games came out, it'd be open season for Gen 6 discussion. Obviously no one should be spoiling huge spoilers (the same way you wouldn't spoil the end of a film that just came out that you eagerly wish to discuss), but unfortunately "huge spoilers" means different things to different people ... as evidenced, for example, by the spoiler I saw yesterday in Bulbapedia's Gen 6 giveaway. ('Cause like, seriously: that spoiler is pretty big to me, and really neat news -- it's totally something I would've loved to have been blindsided by when playing the game for myself -- but whoever drew up this contest for them must've thought it one of the most insignificant spoilers in the world if he/she thought it would be cool to incorporate it into one of the contest questions.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
Yeah I agree with you Talon. Change your avatars, talk about the game and what town you're at, what Pokemon you caught, etc etc.

The dont be a dick rule applies to any game or series. As in, don't reveal major plot points or the ending etc without a spoiler box. I don't expect Pokemon to have major plot points but BW and BW2 had a good story. Don't ruin it.
If it fails the "Don't be a dick" test, you probably shouldn't be posting it in non-Pokémon video game threads without proper use of a spoiler tag. Think back to the launch of Generation 5, and think of today: what elements from the Gen 5 games might you still spoiler tag out of consideration for people who haven't gotten around to playing those games yet? Plot details, champion and Elite Four identities, cameo appearances from past characters, incredible changes that no one saw coming and that weren't spoiled even by CoroCoro ... these are the sorts of things one generally wouldn't mention outside of a spoiler tag for a game that's only one year old, never mind only two days old.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:05 AM   #384
Mercutio
Banned

It seems that one or two people have beaten the E4, Talon, but I don't know how you define beaten the game.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #385
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Thanks, Kush.

Saw this news article for the UK. Good lord:
Quote:
In comparison to the releases of Pokémon Black and White 2, X and Y have sold roughly double the number of copies, showing the added sales power of a new generation.
Double!? O_o That's insane if true. And would make me astonished that the game hasn't in fact physically sold out internationally. Now I'm really quite curious to see if they're sold out all over the city. Granted, this talk of double the sales is just for the opening weekend, not for the games' entire lifespan. And granted, this news story only concerns sales in the UK, not those in other regions as well. But still. Double the sales ... incredible.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #386
Mercutio
Banned

Also it's put ot by Nintendo so not necessarily an accurate representation of reality. But still most interesting stats. Perhaps the extra hype we felt permeated the wider gaming community.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #387
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I know a lot of people who aren't diehard Pokémon fans who are buying X/Y; I think that the hype extending beyond the fandom might be the cause.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #388
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I think there is also a growing understanding in video game circles in general that Pokemon is huge, and now with XY, they understand that it is huge for very good reasons.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #389
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
X/Y have 8th highest opening week after the first day.

Also the most sold 3DS game, no surprise there.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #390
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
X/Y have 8th highest opening week after the first day.

Also the most sold 3DS game, no surprise there.
I like how that table currently reports that X/Y came out in October 2014. WHEN WE SAY THE BEST SELLING GAMES OF ALL TIME, THAT INCLUDES THE FUTURE TOO! ;p

For comparison though ...
Quote:
In August 2010, one month before the games' release in Japan, Pokémon Black and White gained a total of 1.08 million pre-orders, becoming the fastest game on the Nintendo DS to break the one million mark. In the first two days on sale, it sold more than 2.6 million copies, becoming the biggest launch in the series history in Japan. By November 3, the games had sold over 4.3 million copies in Japan. As of January 9, 2011, the games became the fastest DS titles to sell five million copies.
Quote:
In the US, Black and White sold more than 1.08 million copies on day one, breaking the previous day-one record held by predecessors Diamond and Pearl of 780,000 copies. According to the NPD Group, Nintendo sold 1.3 million units of White and 1.1 million units of Black in March 2011, making them the #1 and #2 top selling games in the US for the month. In April 2011, Nintendo's financial earnings report confirmed that Pokémon Black and White had sold 11.5 million copies worldwide, making them the highest selling DS games for Nintendo in the 2010-11 financial year, and third overall, behind only the Wii games, Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort.
Quote:
As of March 2013, the games' combined sales have reached 15.42 million.
The takeaway from those three quote boxes is:
  1. BW1 sold 11.5 million copies internationally within one month of its NA+EU release. So we would expect to see 11.5 million copies sold by November 14 for X and Y otherwise they're not as hot as the media reports.
  2. BW1 had 2.6 million in sales in Japan alone on launch weekend alone. So the number of sales in Japan this weekend for X & Y should be compared directly against this figure.
  3. BW1 have sold 15.42 million copies in total, so we'll want to pay attention in the coming years to just how many total copies X and Y sell.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News