UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu

My collector's box arrived at 2pm EDT. It was really difficult to get the CD out of its container without damaging either, but in the end, I did, only to find that I appear to be missing the promised pencil board and one of the other features. (All I have is the box, the DVD case, the DVD, the CD case, the CD, and the yellow ribbons which are embedded in the box pieces.) So either Bandai messed up all the collector's boxes from the initial launch or I'm all alone in getting shafted. Sigh.

DVD appears to work. Watched episodes K1 and K2 (the movie and the Meet Haruhi episodes). They worked fine, no errors. Watching this, I've noticed that Kadokawa Shoten's American division translates things very differently from the anime subbing group who did a smashing job last summer. I prefer the flow of the anime subbing group's translation (the American one's Kyon gives me a headache at times and Haruhi's dialogue feels a little stilted), but I think that the Kadokawa group has actually revealed some possible inaccuracies in the original translation, all of them lines which Kyon says and are uttered really damn quickly and run-on sentence-y so they're hard to understand. I recommend looking into it and deciding which translation you prefer. Kadokawa's seems more accurate but also more confusing -- a double-edged sword.

The boxart is beautiful. Scans tomorrow, maybe.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Re: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu

Well, congratulaions. I pre-ordered mine (Mine's limited edition as well) two weeks ago and it didn't arrive today >=O. I was hoping to watch the **** out of this and show it off to anyone around me even claiming to like anime (they have never even heard of Haruhi except for my ramblings about it ><). If I get anything you didn't, I will say, but I have a feeling that everything you listed is ALL it will come with.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/8177 ... 600kq4.jpg

You can bow down later.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:23 AM   #4

For anyone who wants to read the novels...

buy them.

if youc an't read japanese...

use this place.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
Loki

Got DVD 2 Special Edition yesterday in the mail. IN YOUR FACE JULY 3RD RELEASE DATE!

Also go Asahina Mikuru the Combat Waitress 1/6th scale figure. Looks spiffy. Not as spiffy as Haruhi, but spiffy.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Ok, I have watched the DVD, and I am getting really pissed right now. I don't know if it is just me forgetting the exact order of the show, or what I bought really WAS in chronological order, but you tell me.

Episode one: The movie they made. First episode no matter what they do.

Episode two: Where everyone except for Koizumi is introduced.

Episode three: They are pretty much promoting the club. At the end of the episode, Yuki starts to explain what her and Haruhi are.

Episode four: At the beginning of the episode, Yuki finishes what she is saying. Other stuff happens after that.

Ok, I paid the full fifty bucks to get the whole thing in its true order. If I remember correctly, Yuki's speech was interrupted until the middle of the island adventure. Haruhi was MADE to be in its messed up order, and that was the description I got when buying this. Am I really worrying about nothing, or did they throw this is in chronological order?
Old 06-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
Loki

Yeah, the air-date order is only available on the bonus disc in Volume 2.

Volume 1 is in chronological order, which does suck.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Oh, that's a bit of a relief then. I thought they ****ed up my package ^_^;. I was going to order the SEs of every DVD anyway. Ok, I can order the second volume without any fears of everything being all wrong.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

My SE Box 2 is in the mail, says a RightStuf e-mail I got today. Good job, Loki. :1

So, BBB. I watched episodes 1, 2, and part of 3 on our SE DVD 1. Never finished 3 or got around to watching 4. That was three or four weeks ago. Now that you've finally watched it to completion (go you), I guess there we have it. There's our verdict. SE DVD 1 shows them in chrono order rather than airdate order. Yeah, cast my vote for "this sucks. " Bandai clearly did this so that fans new to the franchise could get in on the action without being confused out of their minds. Unfortunately, this is really fucking disastrous because, in terms of chronology ...

Bandai Episode 1, makes no sense. (The movie is in Book 4, and depicted by Book 2. Why the fuck it's shown first is beyond me.)
Bandai Episode 2, great!
Bandai Episode 3, holy shit! Now the movie's making sense!
Bandai Episode 4, great!
Bandai Episode 5, WOOOOOOOW! BEST ... EP ... EVER!
Bandai Episode 6, part 1 of 2 of the end!
Bandai Episode 7, the ending! SO POWERFUL!
Bandai Episode 8 ... um ... baseball?
Bandai Episode 9 ... um ... trip to a deserted island? Cute, but ...
Bandai Episode 10 ... um ... more island?
Bandai Episode 11 ... *yawn*
Bandai Episode 12, 13, you get the idea.
Bandai Episode 14 ... wtf. *smashes head into desk* Most boring episode ever. I think the most exciting part was when Kyon purchased the heater. -_-

So yeah. Very, very stupid. Also, now, because Bandai fucked up the order (by incorrectly claiming that the chronologically first episode is the movie, which makes no fucking sense -_-; ), now we have THREE listings for Haruhi episode orders. Oh joy!

K = Kyon, H = Haruhi, B = Bandai
K refers to the airdate episodes. H refers to the chronology of the stories in the H-universe. B refers to Bandai's disc order.

K01 = H11 = B01
K02 = H01 = B02
K03 = H02 = B03
K04 = H07 = B08
K05 = H03 = B04

And so on and so forth. The Bandai episodes are the same number as the Haruhi episodes for 12, 13, and 14, while one greater than the Haruhi episodes for 02-11, due to the misplacement of the movie as episode 01 instead of 11. Otherwise, the Kyon numerology remains the same as "the episodes in the order in which they aired."

Personally, I vote Kyon numerology.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #10
Loki

So I finally watched disc one in English and I have to say I didn't hate it.

At first it wasn't amazing, but after a while the English voices grew on me. The episode where Mikuru is used to extort a computer from the Computer Club was great.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:39 PM   #11
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Thanks. I forgot to watch the dub.

*two hours later*

Ok, I have just finished watching it in full dub form. I was actually pretty impressed. This is the first dub in a long while that did not feel awkward to watch. Here's my thoughts on the main five.

Kyon- He doesn't have the super power of sarcasm that Sugita has, but I'm sure that there aren't many that do. Not the best fit for Kyon, but still good.

Haruhi- She's really not as intimidating as Hirano, but that's really it. Other than that, pretty good.

Mikuru- Hers was quite excellent. No problems at all with Mikuru's voice.

Yuki- Same as Mikuru. There are tons of actors that could a good Yuki anyway.

Koizumi- I didn't hear much from him, but it was a nice fit. Same as Yuki and Mikuru.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime