UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 05-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #2076
Talon87
時の彼方へ

DOUBLES IS SO WEIRD! (Doubles Random Battle; 10 turns)

Spoiler: show
Moves like Sucker Punch are reduced in efficacy by about 50% because LOL TWO TARGETS NOW INSTEAD OF JUST ONE, EITHER OF WHICH COULD OPT TO NOT ATTACK THIS TURN. Yet at the same time, these same moves become amazing ways to apply pressure to a dangerous enemy, forcing him to essentially not act whilst his weaker teammates are murdered by my other guy.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #2077
Red Panda
head head bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
My second Doubles Random win where the score is better than 2-0.

I failed to save the first one, which happened last night. Pretty much every other Doubles Random match in between has been close, but this one -- despite the overwhelming odds against me early on with an incredibly fast yet non-choice locked Kyogre -- ended up managing to be a 4-0 victory.

Still not crazy about Doubles. This is a fun little distraction from the usual circuits, but other than VGC having the allure of being "official" I can't say I'm too won over yet. (And yes: I realize that Doubles =/= VGC. You know what I'm saying.)
I find it crazy how off-balance teams can be. Typhlosion, Toxicroak, Giratina-O, and Kyogre? Yet you have Chimecho, Torkoal, Castorm, and Farfetch'd yet still win with easy.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #2078
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
My critacular Game

I dont have much to say. Turn one I was able to predict the poison move and switch into Arbok, but him having Crunch was annoying, so I had to switch out to Druddigon to get the passive damage KO. Once I got rocks up, the match was basically in my hands, as Yanmega was permanently crippled. Losing Shedinja to Toxic was annoying, but ehh. The crit on Espeon helped though, as otherwise I wouldve lost Sylveon otherwise.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #2079
Red Panda
head head bitch

NU has been released for XY. I found out by going to make a team in Showdown.

Needless to say I don't expect some of them to stay there long.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #2080
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
VENOMOTH + MAGMORTAR OP PLS NERF
Old 05-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #2081
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

All the lower tiers are crazy this Gen since there are a lot of powerhouses in each tier that could easily compete in higher ones.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #2082
Cloneblazer12

Going over the initial list, I havent seen very many threats. Braviary is gone, which is unfortunate because Braviary + a SR user couldve been the NU version of Deosharp, and not to mention that Braviary is badass as fuck.

Of the things that do stand out, I see threats from last gen such as Jynx, Mismagius, and Primeape. What Im interested to see is Barbaracle. With Tough Claws + Shell Smash, he seems like he'll be a go to sweeper.

AV Bouffalant has served me well in RU, so seeing him in NU is nice.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #2083
Red Panda
head head bitch

Like Dragalge and Archeops are in NU. Did not expect either of them.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #2084
Cloneblazer12

To be honest, Dragalge wont be much of a threat without Adaptability. The low base speed and poison typing screams Golem bait, as hes outsped by Golem by two points.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #2085
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

If you're running Dragalge without Scald as an attacking move, you're doing something wrong.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #2086
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Felt like a Doubles Random battle. Forgot I'd switched back to an account that doesn't have a Doubles Random history. Immediately told it to cancel. Too late. Battle begins. And battle swiftly ends. ^^;
Old 05-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #2087
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The Unlikeliest Counter (Random Battle; 23 turns)

What happens when your Cobalion has neither Fighting nor Steel-type moves?

You get walled by Cradily, that's what.

Yeah, Cradily is not normally a Pokémon one thinks of when asked to identify checks and counters to PokéAthos, yet an apparent lack of Iron Head, Close Combat, or any other Steel- or Fighting-type moves made my Cradily an amazing counter for this guy's Thunder Waving, Volt Switching Cobalion. (And it's not like those moves are uncommon on Cobalion either. It's just that to have neither a Fighting move nor a Steel move is ... well, it's something. ^^; )
Old 05-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #2088
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
To bring the point here:

No Clone, when we are talking about how one Pokemon is stronger hitting than another, nothing else matters. You were strictly talking about Fire Blast, so the fucking meta didn't matter either(whereas if you had said Heat Wave there is no way I could argue that, Rock Slide is definitely weaker than Heat Wave). Darmanitan's strength is roughly similar to ZardY, not to mention that Darmanitan hits on the physical side while ZardY hits on the special. I never once said one was better than the other, I'm not a fucking moron of course I know why ZardY is better than Darm. It's power is not one of those reasons.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #2089
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I just saw a strange glitch in this match. When I ordered Cobalion to use Iron Head on Turn 35, my opponent's Dialga took the hit ... and then started violently pulsing back and forth (sort of like an attack's animation effect, but without any color distortions). This lasted for about fifteen to thirty actual seconds. After about five to ten seconds, I wrote to my opponent to see if he was seeing the same thing I was seeing. After all, the server seemed to be hung up on my Cobalion's attack, so if the match had progressed normally for my opponent (including either a lucky flinch for me or else my opponent's expected attack for him) then I would need to disconnect and reconnect ASAP to see if that would fix it before my opponent could greedily win by timeout disqualification. Anyway, after the fifteen to thirty seconds passed, I saw everything on Turns 35 and 36 happen all at once. Given my opponent's orders for Turn 36, I can only imagine that he saw the result of Turn 35 before I did, meaning the glitch only occurred on my end. While I doubt that sharing the replay with you guys will reproduce the effect, I've included it all the same in case it can be of help to people who error-test the client.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #2090
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

FreezeHax Don't Matter
My opponent got a lucky freeze off Tri-Attack on my Magnemite, giving him a keen upper hand with my biggest resistance pivot rendered inoperable. When it looked like my momentum was successfully stifled...

...I OHKO his Gastly with Knock Off and he quits.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #2091
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
FreezeHax Don't Matter
My opponent got a lucky freeze off Tri-Attack on my Magnemite, giving him a keen upper hand with my biggest resistance pivot rendered inoperable. When it looked like my momentum was successfully stifled...

...I OHKO his Gastly with Knock Off and he quits.
Karma bit him in the ass for his "You deserved it " comments.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #2092
Cloneblazer12

By the skin of my teeth

Im not very good at commentating my battles, but this one went down to the wire. Donphan was a huge pain in my ass, and as long as he was alive, my primary win condition would not be able to do his job. I got lucky a couple of turns, including Sash Azelf saving my ass from Mega Aerodatcyl. Seriously, that this is fast. Were he to remain alive, There would be no way for Mienshao to do what she did.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #2093
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein I feel like Bobby Fischer facing off against Boris Spassky in the world championships. (Random Battle; 91 turns)

One of the most remarkable battles in my Random Battle career simply because of the ridiculous, ridiculous caution with which we each had to fight this fight lest our Jenga tower topple instantly. His was a team built around executing any of his opponent's defensive pivots (Shuckle), weakening water (Groudon), and his ace against my Fire-weak team (Moltres); while mine was a team built around Spore (Breloom), Trick Room (Reuniclus), and a bunch of slowpokes.

If you don't have the patience for long matches, I don't blame you. IRL, this took probably close to 30 minutes to complete, possibly longer. I can't believe it's 7:09pm right now. I think the last time I looked at the clock it was only a little after 6. What the hell happened.

But if you want to see what happens when you pit two incredibly calculating players against one another, this is a match you won't want to miss.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #2094
Red Panda
head head bitch

Gogogoat
Old 05-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #2095
Heather
Naga's Voice

I have people I know who think that:
A: Ninjask is actually good in competitive
B: putting a Choice Scarf on Ninjask is a good idea
C: Same as B but with Jolteon

How do I tell him none of them are any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #2096
Red Panda
head head bitch

Scarf Jolteon is definitely more viable than Ninjask. Scarf Talonflame is somehow a thing, and it can outspeed and OHKO Jolteon with Flare Blitz. Scarf Staraptor can do the same. Scarf Jolteon in return can outspeed and OHKO both. It may not be common, but it has a small niche.

252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 237-280 (87.1 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 336-396 (123.5 - 145.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Staraptor: 396-468 (126.9 - 150%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 356-420 (119.4 - 140.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And Scarf Jolteon can outspeed +1 Dragonite, Gyarados, and revenge kill them.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #2097
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm honestly a little surprised to not see a Choice Scarf set in Smogon's Gen 5 article for Jolteon: not because it's great (it isn't) but because I feel like I saw it every now and again in Gen 5 OU as a "NO U! " sort of ultimate revenge killer. "No fucking way are you outspeeding me, motherfucker! " That kind of a thing. Jolteon users frustrated by Choice Scarf base 100s and base 110s and whatnot being able to outspeed it. With a Choice Scarf of its own, Jolteon says "NO! " and still gets to go first. And while being choice locked is shitty, ironically Jolteon -- per its abysmal movepool -- doesn't really care that much because it was probably going to be forced to switch out by the opponent's next switch-in anyway. ^^;

As Red's pointed out, though, the uses are rather niche and not especially good. Any viable strategy will net you wins where instead you would have had losses here or there, but the measure of a truly good strategy is how frequently it's netting you these clutch wins. I don't think Choice Scarf Jolteon ever did this -- and is one reason why it proved less popular than other sets.

In the current metagame, however, I feel like Choice Scarf abuse has fallen by the wayside. Gen 6 is just brimming with priority, it feels like, with the ever-rising presence of Prankster users, with the brand-new Gale Wings ability, with more Sucker Punches than ever thanks to Bisharp's rise to fame, with more Shadow Sneaks than ever thanks to Aegislash's rise to fame, so on and so forth. I mean, hell: if you had told someone in Gen 5 that Shadow Sneak was going to be a huge thing in Gen 6 OU, they would have laughed at you! And yet here we are with Shadow Sneaking Aegislash. What all of this priority abuse means for Choice Scarf users is that the one thing they were supposed to do -- not be outsped by others -- they're failing at. And since most Choice Scarf users usually have abysmal defenses, that's a serious problem.

Pokémon who desperately want/need a Choice Scarf to be relevant in OU will still make good use of one. But I think the Gen 5 fad of plopping Choice Scarves onto already-fast Pokémon to purpose them as "revenge killers" is over. Choice Scarf on a base 100, okay, he needs it. Choice Scarf on a base 130, you're just wasting your time and could be running better items.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #2098
Cloneblazer12

I don't agree that Scarfs are falling out of style. Scarf chomp is still a thing to kill Dragon Dancing Gyarados, Dragonite, Mega TTar, and Xard, as well as other things like The Latis, Mega Pinsir, Scarf Lando, Thundurus, weakened Keldeo, Terrakion, opposing Garchomp, and others. Scarf Gothitelle in tournament and upper ladder play is used to cripple walls or other Pokémon like Aegislash. The biggest one, however, is Scarftar. Outspeeding base 115s and slower, he can revenge a lot of things including, but not limited to: Thundurus, Keldeo, Lati@s, opposing TTar, Talonflame (KOes before the U-Turn), Mega Pinsir, Bisharp, and anything else that's in that speed tier.

Other things that can be scarfed: Landorus-T, Keldeo, Terrakion, Latios, Rotom-W
Old 05-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #2099
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't need to be lectured on the utility of scarves when 33% of my team has one equipped. I'm just saying, Gen 6 has proven less kind to scarf use than Gen 5 had and that the fad of plopping a Choice Scarf onto something with speed equal to or greater than base 115 seems to have faded into obscurity.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #2100
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I run Scarf Raikou!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON