Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 06-02-2020, 04:48 PM   #451
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raves View Post
Dodrio wants a word with you.
The Dodrio line should be an exception, not a trend! Wasn't the entire reason Gengar lost Levitate because the 3D sprite was standing on the ground?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:50 PM   #452
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
The Dodrio line should be an exception, not a trend! Wasn't the entire reason Gengar lost Levitate because the 3D sprite was standing on the ground?
I figured it was more of a balance thing, Gengar needs that Ground Weakness....

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #453
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
We might never know their exact reasoning. You might be right. Or maybe they just figured Cursed Body worked better. Maybe it's got to do with the fact that its Mega Evolution (and now its Gigantamax form) not only don't hover but are in fact basically rooted to the ground. Maybe they wanted to make it able to absorb Toxic Spikes, put its Poison typing to better use. Maybe they wanted it to be better capable of benefiting from the terrains.

Dodrio, meanwhile, might not be capable of outright flight, per se, but the general implication is that its jumping skills are sufficient enough to compensate for that. I could easily see the same holding true for Galarian Zapdos. Hell, this sort of thing was why I was predicting Fire/Flying for Scorbunny's final evo last year.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:58 PM   #454
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Yeah uh Gengar was nerfed. This was also the generation that took away the Legendary Beasts having good HAs instead of the shit ones they have now.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #455
Zorchic
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Yeah uh Gengar was nerfed. This was also the generation that took away the Legendary Beasts having good HAs instead of the shit ones they have now.
Really? I think the generation that did that was Generation 7? And do not insult Inner Focus, I'm telling you.

As for Gengar losing Levitate, I think it was because it doesn't weigh 0.2 lbs/0.1 kg like the other two members of its evolutionary line (Gengar is heavier). And yeah, I also think it's because its 3D sprite is standing on the ground.

Also, this was the generation that nerfed Aegislash's base stats. In my opinion, that was completely unnecessary.
Zorchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:45 PM   #456
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

Gengar was hit by the Nerf Bat the same Generation the Beasts were- Gen. 7. Everything Emi said is entirely correct there. I remember people freaking out about how Suicune was ruined by the Beasts' change during SuMo's leak period (though it wasn't quite as common as people yelling about how decidueye shouldn't have been so slow; that's it's movement speed, not its overall attack speed people!). What a wild time that was...

I mean, Aegislash has been in Ubers or OUBL pretty consistently since its conception, despite not being a Legendary, Psuedo-Legendary, or Mythical Pokémon. It had no right to be so good, especially after Gale Wings got nerfed so badly in the last Generation! That said, the stat decreases... didn't really hurt aegislash all that much? At least, not quite as much as the reduction of King's Shield's recoil did (it's now -1 to both Attack stats on contact instead of -2), anyway.

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:36 PM   #457
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Aegislash is pretty bad now. It's UUBL in natdex OU and despite almost exclusively using it, I found it to be my weakest Pokemon. Aegislash would be fine in OU without the nerfs.

It no longer has the wallbreaking power to muscle through Pokemon like Tapu Fini, and if it's not running King's Shield it's virtually useless even if it survives a Knock Off.

I'm fairly sure the only reason Aegislash was nerfed was so Leon could use it in the champion battle. Aegislash would be extremely difficult to beat for casual players if it was running Life Orb/Leftovers alongside the regular King's Shield.

Gengar's nerf was baffling considering how popular a Pokemon it is, but GameFreak is a baffling company.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-05-2020, 07:29 PM   #458
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I still maintain that Gengar's Ability change may not have been intended as a complete nerf. Yeah, losing immunity to Ground sucks, but then you look at what Gengar gained in exchange;
  • A chance to disable any move used on it
  • Immunity to sleep in Electric Terrain
  • Immunity to all status in Misty Terrain
  • Immunity to priority moves in Psychic Terrain
  • HP restoration in Grassy Terrain
  • The capability to switch in and absorb Toxic Spikes
  • A boost to Giga Drain, Thunderbolt, and Psychic on Grassy, Electric, and Psychic Terrains respectively
  • A resistance to Dragon moves in Misty Terrain

Yeah, most of these involve the terrains, but with how much more prevalent they're becoming as of late, between Max Moves, and the Surge Abilities going to mons other than the tapu, that ain't exactly nothing.

Like I say, it's obviously not all upside. Loses a damn immunity. But there's more than that to consider here, is my point.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #459
Emi

Yeah no losing an immunity to a weakness is huge. It's especially bad since Gengar already used Disable in its sets so getting more disable isn't exactly good.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #460
sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat
Thunder Badge

I FIGURED OUT HOW TO EV TRAIN IT'S TIME TO START WINNING BATTLES

Cy, Bug Trainer

FB Profile
sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:05 PM   #461
Zorchic
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat View Post
I FIGURED OUT HOW TO EV TRAIN IT'S TIME TO START WINNING BATTLES
There's an easier way. Just use vitamins/nutritious drinks. They cost a lot of money, though.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #462
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

New move descriptions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Github
Expanding Force The user attacks the target with its psychic power. This move’s power goes up and damages all opposing Pokémon on Psychic Terrain.

Steel Roller The user attacks while destroying the terrain. This move fails when the ground hasn’t turned into a terrain.

Scale Shot The user attacks by shooting scales two to five times in a row. This move boosts the user’s Speed stat but lowers its Defense stat.

Meteor Beam In this two-turn attack, the user gathers space power and boosts its Sp. Atk stat, then attacks the target on the next turn.

Shell Side Arm This move inflicts physical or special damage, whichever will be more effective. This may also poison the target.

Misty Explosion The user attacks everything around it and faints upon using this move. This move’s power is increased on Misty Terrain.

Grassy Glide Gliding on the ground, the user attacks the target. This move always goes first on Grassy Terrain.

Rising Voltage The user attacks with electric voltage rising from the ground. This move’s power doubles when the target is on Electric Terrain.

Terrain Pulse The user utilizes the power of the terrain to attack. This move’s type and power changes depending on the terrain when it’s used.

Skitter Smack The user skitters behind the target to attack. This also lowers the target’s Sp. Atk stat.

Burning Jealousy The user attacks with energy from jealousy. This leaves all opposing Pokémon that have had their stats boosted during the turn with a burn.

Lash Out The user lashes out to vent its frustration toward the target. If its stats were lowered during the turn, the power of this move is doubled.

Poltergeist The user attacks the target by controlling the target’s item. The move fails if the target doesn’t have an item.

Corrosive Gas The user surrounds everything around it with highly acidic gas and melts away items they hold.

Coaching The user properly coaches its ally Pokémon, boosting their Attack and Defense stats.

Flip Turn After making its attack, the user rushes back to switch places with a party Pokémon in waiting.

Triple Axel A consecutive three-kick attack that becomes more powerful with each successful hit.

Dual Wingbeat The user slams the target with its wings. The target is hit twice in a row.

Scorching Sands The user throws scorching sand at the target to attack. This may also leave the target with a burn.

Jungle Healing The user becomes one with the jungle, restoring HP and healing any status conditions of itself and its ally Pokémon in battle.

Wicked Blow The user, having mastered the Dark style, strikes the target with a fierce blow. This attack always results in a critical hit.

Surging Strikes The user, having mastered the Water style, strikes the target with a flowing motion three times in a row. This attack always results in a critical hit.
Urushifu: 100.130.100.63.60.97 (BST: 550)
Zarude: 105.120.105.70.95.105 (BST: 600)
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-17-2020, 12:16 PM   #463
Zorchic
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Urushifu: 100.130.100.63.60.97 (BST: 550)
Zarude: 105.120.105.70.95.105 (BST: 600)
I could see either of them using Choice items in competitive play.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #464
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Both of them are probably only ever going to be seen Scarfed. Urshifu's at an awkward speed tier and it's got enough punch I feel. Zarude... I think it was doomed from the off by that typing.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #465
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I wish Gyarados had Zarude's stats. It's annoying that GF felt the need to give it an efficient BST spread, seeing as the mon is basically worthless with that bad typing + bad ability.

Add in that it stars in possibly the worst Pokemon movie, it's very transparent as a committee-brainstormed event Pokemon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #466
Emi

Zarude can definitely still be good.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:13 AM   #467
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I used Urshifu today and I've got to admit it's massively overrated. Banded Surging Strikes in rain isn't enough to OHKO another Urshifu - in fact, it does about 20% less than Jolly Dracovish. So the wallbreaking power isn't there, or isn't spectacular anyway.

Urshifu has surprising physical bulk but is OHKO'd by almost any super effective special move. So you don't stay in on something you can't OHKO, meaning a misprediction can be punishing.

Single style is basically the same as Terrakion. Slower, but more powerful with fewer boosting options but a strong U-Turn.

Grassy Glide Rillaboom is a beast. It can pressure out Dracovish due to the healing it gets from Leftovers + Grassy Terrain. It can run all-utility and just rely on priority STAB.

Zarude sucks. Mega Alakazam was banned.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-19-2020, 12:15 AM   #468
Emi

Mega Alakazam getting banned is pointless because NatDex OU is a glorified OM.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:35 AM   #469
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Mega Alakazam getting banned is pointless because NatDex OU is a glorified OM.
To a degree, all Smogon metas have been like this, as long as sleep clause has existed. But natdex feels more real than the official OU which is a chaotic mess, and the bans in natdex just serve to illustrate just how insane GameFreak was with this generation's power creep.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-24-2020, 08:22 AM   #470
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
League of Pokemon, developed by Tencent

You couldn't make this shit up

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:38 AM   #471
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Slowpoke.jpg but Crown Tundra dropped? Why October? Isn't Pokemon usually a November release?

We all know this is "the" game right?

Anyhow, anyone playing this now and can give the dirt on what's happening? I've been surprisingly isolated from any feedback on the game lately, so I have zero idea about it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-27-2020, 04:09 AM   #472
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

The horseys use generic stock horse sounds as their cries. It's pretty bad.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:10 AM   #473
Emi

Generally heard good things about Crown Tundra: the environments look really good, Dynamax adventures are very fun, decently challenging post-game area with a multi-battle tournament.

New Regi is base 200 speed which will be fun and the new legends are both super silly.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:42 AM   #474
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I got a look at the new Pokemon (Ice Horse, Ghost Horse, Calyrex, Regidrago, Regieleki).

I think the Ghost Horse is an Uber in both forms (base and fusion with Calyrex). At first blush it's a buffed Blacephalon, but if you look closer it's actually a buffed Ash-Greninja, sporting slightly less power and speed than Ash-Gren but no need to nab a KO to transform...and Beast Boost as an ability.

Even with a nonexistant movpool, Shadow Ball is enough. Specs Shadow Ball dents everything and even pressures resists or specially defensive balance switchins. You're basically required to run Chansey, Blissey or Snorlax to handle this thing, and that's going to centralize the tier.

I think Calyrex, Ice Horse, Calyrex Ice Fusion and both Regis blow pretty hard. Regieleki is a failure from a design standpoint as yet another fast, frail, hard-hitting Electric-type. As if the type wasn't stereotyped bad enough they introduce this. It's inferior to Tapu Koko but not necessarily better than Zeraora, since Zeraora already outspeeds most of OU and has the meaty coverage moves Regieleki doesn't have.

Regidrago is...Guzzlord. L o freaking L. Yes, it's faster than Guzzlord but it's still horrendously frail, slow for a Dragon-type AND, unlike Guzzlord, has no good moves.

Guzzlord has Knock Off, Fire Blast, and Earthquake. These don't redeem it but they're the bare minimum of coverage for a bad Pokemon. Regidrago doesn't have ANY of those moves.

Ice Horse is pretty decent as a slow, bulky hard-hitting Ice-type, but it's not OU material. Ice is too weak of a defensive type, its ability is better on a fast offensive sweeper and the good bulk is held back by the typing.

Calyrex has awful typing, stats and ability. Calyrex-Ice looks like a future OU Pokemon to me, at least it fits in the tier better than Kyurem-Black does today. Calyrex-Ghost is a buffed Lunala, who in turn was a buffed Necrozma-DW.

My predictions:

UBER: Calyrex-Ghost, Ghost Horse
OU: Calyrex-Ice
UUBL: Regieleki
UU: Ice Horse
PU: Regidrago, Calyrex
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-27-2020, 05:29 AM   #475
Emi

Regieleki is faster than most of the relevant Choice Scarf users. It's actually unreal how fast it is and Transistor is such a good ability (+1 boost on using an Electric move, it's not actually Adaptability) that it ends up not having low power. Thunder Cage is also a super strong move that will likely see play on Eleki as a new substitute for Dugtrio.

Calyrex-IR is actually an Ubers level Pokemon. Native access to Trick Room and having immense bulk along with 160 base Attack and a 130 BP Ice move means its actually really dangerous. It's more balanced in Ubers thanks to Kyogre and better Ice resists but it's actually just too strong thanks to its massive bulk, imo.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News