UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 09-26-2018, 03:06 AM   #151
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Marshadow received a motivation in I Choose You!. Pokemon don't need some sob backstory (re: every XY mythical) or history with humans to be unique. The very first chapter of Marshadow's legend was written with that movie. Thematically, I feel like this was very appropriate for a movie attempting to channel a remake of the Shudo-led OS anime. Pokemon have their own world, too, and it's only something humans are a small part of.

If there's a problem, it's that Marshadow's connection to Alola wasn't made clear by the anime. Marshadow can use a Z-Move, and he doesn't need a crystal, ring or trainer to use it. There wasn't enough time in the movie to explain it, but Marshadow cameo'd in Alola, making him the only other mythical aside from Darkrai to appear in the anime. There was opportunity to explain this that wasn't utilized properly.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:32 AM   #152
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Meloetta also appeared in the anime too tho :p
Old 09-26-2018, 05:44 AM   #153
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Wait, people actually watched Best Wishes?! I thought that was a meme...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #154
phoopes
Double Dragon

Heather I just want to say that you really hit the nail on the head with mythicals you're doing amazing sweetie
Old 09-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #155
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Serebii trailer.

I'm probably not the person to comment on 3D games - I hated the idea of a transition and criticized people begging for it for years - but I don't think I'm stepping on to thin ice by saying this is a pretty bad look.

It has nice polish. But we're looking at upscales of the 3DS models with limited character animation. Daisy sitting down in RBY is acceptable because your imagination fills in the blanks at what she's doing at the table. Here, it's plain to see she's creepily idling around without any human behaviours.

I don't think GameFreak has any excuse for this...USUM only had like 10% different content than SM and were marketed as new games instead of expansion packs. LGPE is almost as plagiarised, using the Kanto map, the Kanto dex and the 3DS models.

It also has an identity crisis in trying to appeal to Go fans (who are adult) while compensating with Barney-style hand-holding. I wonder if the Ghost Marowak will be censored in this title? It seems within reason when the other details are added up.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #156
Emi

Already I'm upset with the lack of an Eevee rival fight.

Five bucks it's a Vaporeon at the end.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:10 PM   #157
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Already I'm upset with the lack of an Eevee rival fight.

Five bucks it's a Vaporeon at the end.
I think they'll keep it like in Yellow. Lose the first battle, he evolves it into Vaporeon. Win the first, lose or skip the second, Flareon. Win the first two battles, Jolteon. And I'm sure in Let's Go Eevee, he'll do something similar with Pikachu. Lose the first battle, he doesn't evolve it. Win the first, lose or skip the second, Normal Form Raichu. Win the first two battles, Alolan Raichu.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #158
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So is it confirmed Chase is going to get the opposite starter to your own? He doesn't always default to Eevee?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-27-2018, 09:23 PM   #159
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
So is it confirmed Chase is going to get the opposite starter to your own? He doesn't always default to Eevee?
Not as far as I know, but it would make sense for him to get Pikachu in Let's Go Eevee. I see no reason why it wouldn't go that way, personally.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:33 PM   #160
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Spoiler: show
The Gengar vs. Nidorino poster is a cute touch. =)

Your mom looks nothing like Delia nor what generations of fans have envisioned Red's mom looking like. And sadly, she doesn't look particularly great nor does she stand out. :\ She looks like a generic NPC. (Sadly, a lot of people in the comments focusing on the skin color. Lotta people who don't understand that you can genetically be fair-skinned and have a dark-skinned parent or vice versa. I don't care about the skin tone -- for me it's the hair, the clothing, and just the look in general.)

Chase refers to Professor Oak as "Professor Oak" all the time, and never "Gramps" or "Great Grandpa" or "Grunkle Oak". Hmm. Sure seems strange seeing as Chase seems like a shoo-in for Gary's son.

Female trainer's first interactions with Eevee >>>>> male trainer's first interactions with Pikachu. ^^;

Aww, they didn't sync Pikachu's lip movements up with Ohtani Ikue's voice acting. I recognize that's a tall order from Game Freak , but I kinda sorta hoped that they would. That's okay. This is the same team that gave us a Skull Kid for a protagonist in Sun & Moon. Baby steps. ^^;

Aww, they made Pikachu happy fresh out of the gate. Not that I like him to be sad, but ... he's supposed to be grumpy when you first get him! C'mon, now! What's the point in a Pokémon Yellow reboot if you're not going to stick to the anime?

Quote:
I don't think GameFreak has any excuse for this...USUM only had like 10% different content than SM and were marketed as new games instead of expansion packs. LGPE is almost as plagiarised, using the Kanto map, the Kanto dex and the 3DS models.
There really is no excuse.

Quote:
I wonder if the Ghost Marowak will be censored in this title? It seems within reason when the other details are added up.
Ha, I hadn't even thought of that. You're right, it's quite possible that they will. But no, I hope that they won't. The fact that 25% of their Pokémon: The Origin special five years ago focused specifically on the Ghost Marowak and Pokémon Tower gives me hope that they won't shy away from it here, now, in LGPE. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:54 AM   #161
Miror
Marsh Badge

It's been confirmed that motion controls/physical gestures won't be required in handheld mode for capture, allowing you to use the left stick to aim instead. Glad they didn't go the Super Mario Party route with this and force the use of Joy-Cons in addition to not being able to go handheld.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:36 AM   #162
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
I think they'll keep it like in Yellow. Lose the first battle, he evolves it into Vaporeon. Win the first, lose or skip the second, Flareon. Win the first two battles, Jolteon. And I'm sure in Let's Go Eevee, he'll do something similar with Pikachu. Lose the first battle, he doesn't evolve it. Win the first, lose or skip the second, Normal Form Raichu. Win the first two battles, Alolan Raichu.
Except it literally can't work how it does in Yellow because the Rival Lab fight doesn't exist.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:54 AM   #163
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Except it literally can't work how it does in Yellow because the Rival Lab fight doesn't exist.
Did you watch all the videos Serebii posted? It does exist, it's just been moved to when you deliver Oak's Parcel.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #164
Heather
Naga's Voice

>people getting pissy about skin colors (re: Talon)

That's either a lot of stupidity or just straight up racism because hello, adoption exists and regardless of hereditary ethnicity being able to produce this or not (and that's not even getting into how your pops is nowhere to be seen as per usual), adoption is a thing and we have absolutely no canon material telling us these protagonists weren't, so this arrangement is solidly within the range of possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:07 PM   #165
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
>people getting pissy about skin colors (re: Talon)

That's either a lot of stupidity or just straight up racism because hello, adoption exists and regardless of hereditary ethnicity being able to produce this or not (and that's not even getting into how your pops is nowhere to be seen as per usual), adoption is a thing and we have absolutely no canon material telling us these protagonists weren't, so this arrangement is solidly within the range of possibility.
Their reactions are disappointing. I just don't like the character design because I have a fanon-entrenched view of Red's mother in my mind and this character design doesn't come anywhere close to fitting it. Hairstyle, clothing choice, and so many other factors that subtly convey a person's personality. When I picture Red's mother, what I see screams "mother character"; when I see this character design for his mother, it screams "generic NPC you'll find in {Gen 6-8 city}."

>mfw googling "Red's mother" turns up the Pixiv fanart picture I hand-searched for on Pixiv

See? It's that iconic / popular of an interpretation. The picture has over 3,700 favorites, for God's sake.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:40 PM   #166
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

All that matters is that the mom is hot and single.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #167
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

New Japanese trailer about Meltan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqQit0JrdFQ

Spoiler: show

Looks like someone nailed the idea that there would be a Solder Meltan.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #168
Emi

It is now illegal to not like Meltan because that trailer was far too adorable for hatred.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #169
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Trailer was super cute, but reinforces my belief that Meltan should have been this generation's Riolu or Zorua. Something hyped up and given a movie appearance, a two-stage evolutionary line with child and parent forms, but ultimately a mid-RegionalDex Pokémon that is by no means a mythical or legendary.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #170
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Literally it's Zygarde cell/core but an actual Pokemon.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #171
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm not a big fan of Meltan, but I loathe Zygarde from top to bottom. If it's meant to improve on that concept, all the well.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-11-2018, 03:53 AM   #172
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

From what I've seen on Serebii, it's hardly an improvement. It can only be caught in PoGo for about half an hour after transferring something, so if it requires multiple it may just hard-require Pokemon Go. And I struggle to see how that's any sort of an improvement over a mildly irritating mapwide hunt.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #173
Emi

ITS SQUISHY AND LOVES FRIENDS WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED
Old 10-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #174
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Something that doesn't mandate a shitty mobile game.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #175
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

At least its a free shitty mobile game
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News