UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 03-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #26
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Going to wait for the hype to die down. Hype can have a strange, almost sort of "peer pressure"-ish way of making everyone want to say the same things. If after three months people are still saying things like "BEST VIDEO GAME OF ALL TIME", okay, will keep monitoring the situation. If after a year people keep saying "BEST VIDEO GAME OF ALL TIME" and I still haven't played it myself, you'll most definitely have my attention.

My enthusiasm for playing through Skyward Sword has waned, but it's by no means absent. I just have other things I'd rather be doing right this second, many of which themselves were backlogged thanks to my out-of-nowhere Zelda spree with OoT 3D and Skyward Sword. I bring this up because, it'll be interesting to see if BotW just feels like "a better Skyward Sword" or if it genuinely, truly does look and feel like "the best video game of all time." Those are big words, man. Those are fighting words. For you to be the best video game of. all. TIME, you have to be better than Shadow of the Colossus. You have to be better than Super Mario World. You have to be better than Super Street Fighter II. You have to be better than Pokémon. Fighting words. Fighting words to be saying, "Best game of all time."
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #27
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

yeah it's pretty ok I guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #28
phoopes
Double Dragon

Literally everyone I've talked to that has the game already (including those who have it for Wii U) says it's incredible. Hnnnnnnggg I don't know if I want to wait.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #29
Sneaze
Mrow?

I don't know about best game of all time but having 100% every single Zelda game to date I can definitely say this is the best of the series by a wide margin. This is with about 20 hours of playtime, mind so it could change depending on later areas and whathaveyou.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:10 PM   #30
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaze View Post
I don't know about best game of all time but having 100% every single Zelda game to date I can definitely say this is the best of the series by a wide margin. This is with about 20 hours of playtime, mind so it could change depending on later areas and whathaveyou.
The best of the series and by a wide margin. That's cool to hear. Obviously individual tastes vary, but yeah, what would you say it's better than the other Zeldas in? Story? Gameplay? (Perceived) replay value? Music? Visuals? Puzzles? The always important but difficult to pin down "Fun Factor"?
Old 03-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #31
Sneaze
Mrow?

Will try to sum up without spoilers or being too lengthy here due to typing this up on mobile.

Story is hard to say due to obviously not being anywhere near finished it yet, but what I have gotten through has been incredibly solid. Link feels more an important part of the world than ever, as opposed to a lot of past games where you were either just there or were being dragged along by the story with no actual feeling of true influence.

The gameplay is just amazing in every way, really. Every bit about it screams do things how you want, while still constantly challenging you to think about the actions you're making. What do you swap out for this new weapon? One of your weaker weapons and keep the niche functional stuff you might need for a puzzle later? Or ditch a functional item instead of a weaker weapon in case you end up in a long fight? It's all up to you and your choices can mean a lot in how the game plays out just five minutes later.

Replay value, even just percieved, is likely very high. It's an open world game done right and that means the ability to come back and do things differently every single time.

Music and visuals both boil down to personal preference, with most Zelda games being incredibly good in these departments to begin with, but I feel they both work very well together as well as with the tone of the game as a whole.

Puzzles are great too. A lot of what I've seen has that aforementioned "do it your way" mentality, instead of feeling like you're being funneled through a long hallway of switches with obvious solutions on how to press them.

I'm not going to touch on fun factor for the obvious reason of it being hard to describe, but all in all when it comes to that department it just boils down to the game being both a great make your own choice medium while still holding on to that challenge factor a lot of open world games give up to allow that (side note this may just be the most challenging Zelda game to date as well, depending on individual skill levels at any given task).

So, ending my thoughts on the matter, it's been a while now since I have felt a game was 100% worth the money I spent on it. BotW I can honestly say is worth every penny I put out for both it and the Switch combined.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:19 PM   #32
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Been enjoying my time so far, but my god, one particular puzzle was a serious pain in my dick...

Spoiler: show
One of the early shrines which has a stupid marble-maze style puzzle, where you have to use the gyro. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that shit. Took me 15 minutes to get the shot right, particularly the ending where you have to flick it on to the platform. Ugh.

... On the bright side, THERE ARE DOGGOS THAT CHASE THEIR TAILS I REPEAT THERE ARE DOGGOS THAT CHASE THEIR TAILS
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 03-04-2017, 10:17 PM   #33
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I'm not a big Zelda person but I am seriously considering buying this with all the attention and praise it's getting...

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:42 AM   #34
Miror
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
I'm not a big Zelda person but I am seriously considering buying this with all the attention and praise it's getting...
I can add my ringing endorsement, the game is fantastic.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #35
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Second dungeon I did, I found significantly more challenging than the first, because I completely forgot the trick you need to use to get the map. Spoilers below...

It was the Zora dungeon. I completely forgot to freeze the water underneath a gate in order to get the map.

Having Revali's Gale made it super easy to get about for the most part, and I'm genuinely unsure how you would get the terminal on the trunk without it. Please feel free to let me know if you've been through it, interested to hear. Boss was fairly simple at least, thanks in no small part to having the full set of Zora Armour and the Great Eagle Bow, AKA my BABY.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 03-08-2017, 12:05 AM   #36
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:
Second dungeon I did, I found significantly more challenging than the first, because I completely forgot the trick you need to use to get the map. Spoilers below...

It was the Zora dungeon. I completely forgot to freeze the water underneath a gate in order to get the map.

Having Revali's Gale made it super easy to get about for the most part, and I'm genuinely unsure how you would get the terminal on the trunk without it. Please feel free to let me know if you've been through it, interested to hear. Boss was fairly simple at least, thanks in no small part to having the full set of Zora Armour and the Great Eagle Bow, AKA my BABY.
To answer:

Did Zora first. You can get to it by gliding to the tip of the trunk when it it completely lowered, and then raising it slowly while moving to stay on it until you can access the terminal. Not sure if that was the intended way, but it works well enough as long as you are careful.
Schala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:09 AM   #37
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schala View Post
To answer:

Did Zora first. You can get to it by gliding to the tip of the trunk when it it completely lowered, and then raising it slowly while moving to stay on it until you can access the terminal. Not sure if that was the intended way, but it works well enough as long as you are careful.
This is how my friend and I did it as well. It never occurred to me that this may not have been the intended way lol
Old 03-08-2017, 12:32 AM   #38
Sneaze
Mrow?

Everyone I've talked to has done the same, including myself and Kadota.

I've done two myself, the second being...

The Gerudo Desert. The camel puzzle is simultaneously easy to understand and challenging to actually progress through. The boss is also just pure evil, super fast, tons of damage, Electric damage that ravages you unless you perfect dodge, and can eat up your shield and weapon if you don't perfect block it's other attacks to create an opening. Highly recommend doing other areas beforehand.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:01 AM   #39
Miror
Marsh Badge

I've done two and seen my brother do one I haven't done yet:

Did Zora first and Rito second, and have watched my brother do the Gerudo one. The Rito puzzle is actually quite easy, just lots of tilting (and make sure to have plenty of arrows) and the boss wasn't too bad either. Curious to see what the Goron one ends up like.

Also just did this and holy crap it is the most annoying thing in existence:

Eventide Island. That is all. I did manage to finally beat the Hinox there but I had to get rather ingenuitive with the method of disposing of it.

Last edited by Miror; 03-08-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Miror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #40
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Ahhh thanks for that info guys.

But I COMPLETELY FORGOT the most ludicrous minute or so of gameplay I've ever experienced. Spoilers for a certain game mechanic, but this happened while I was heading up to Zora's Domain.

So I left the bridge where you first meet Sidon and headed up the trail, when I came across a deer. Figured I'd see if I could sneak up on it and Sneakstrike it for some meat since I was trying to save arrows.

I couldn't.

But I saw a single word prompt: Mount.

Holy shit I can ride a deer.

I CAN RIDE A DEER.

Needless to say I jumped on that fucker and soothed her into my command. Sure she's not fast and can't gallop but goddamn I'm riding a deer WHERE IS THE NEAREST STABLE SO I CAN REGISTER HER

A fair ways away, probably a few minutes' ride. Easy. I turn the deer around and go back towards the bridge, only to discover something disgraceful.

She's shit at climbing. And in the rain (at least), the rocks are too slippery for her to properly climb. I can't go back on the deer and if I get off her, she decides "I'M OUT".

My only option then is to go forward and HOPE there's a stable at Zora's Domain.

But there's more rocks in the way and Octoroks are shooting at us. And the deer handles like shit (shut up she is my precious girl) and I'm taking wayyyyyyy too much damage. So I can't go forward or back.

I have no choice.

I get off the deer.

Then an Octorok hits her with a bullet and she FREAKS THE FUCK OUT, kicks me to the ground and springs around like she's on acid before, to my horror, jumping into the river and evaporating like Yoshi in Mario Sunshine.

It was horrifying and traumatising beyond words. I'm still not over the shock.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 03-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #41
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
This is how my friend and I did it as well. It never occurred to me that this may not have been the intended way lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaze View Post
Everyone I've talked to has done the same, including myself and Kadota.
Maybe it is the intended way. it just felt a little like I was doing something I shouldn't have been when I did it, but I suppose I can't think of any other way to do it.

Quote:
Ahhh thanks for that info guys.

But I COMPLETELY FORGOT the most ludicrous minute or so of gameplay I've ever experienced. Spoilers for a certain game mechanic, but this happened while I was heading up to Zora's Domain.

So I left the bridge where you first meet Sidon and headed up the trail, when I came across a deer. Figured I'd see if I could sneak up on it and Sneakstrike it for some meat since I was trying to save arrows.

I couldn't.

But I saw a single word prompt: Mount.

Holy shit I can ride a deer.

I CAN RIDE A DEER.

Needless to say I jumped on that fucker and soothed her into my command. Sure she's not fast and can't gallop but goddamn I'm riding a deer WHERE IS THE NEAREST STABLE SO I CAN REGISTER HER

A fair ways away, probably a few minutes' ride. Easy. I turn the deer around and go back towards the bridge, only to discover something disgraceful.

She's shit at climbing. And in the rain (at least), the rocks are too slippery for her to properly climb. I can't go back on the deer and if I get off her, she decides "I'M OUT".

My only option then is to go forward and HOPE there's a stable at Zora's Domain.

But there's more rocks in the way and Octoroks are shooting at us. And the deer handles like shit (shut up she is my precious girl) and I'm taking wayyyyyyy too much damage. So I can't go forward or back.

I have no choice.

I get off the deer.

Then an Octorok hits her with a bullet and she FREAKS THE FUCK OUT, kicks me to the ground and springs around like she's on acid before, to my horror, jumping into the river and evaporating like Yoshi in Mario Sunshine.

It was horrifying and traumatising beyond words. I'm still not over the shock.
(Spoilers for the certain game mechanic and the contents of the above spoiler.)
Deer aren't the only non-horse thing you can ride. Unfortunately, no one has found a way to register anything that isn't a horse, so even if you had made it back, you wouldn't have been able to register her at the stable. I would be riding a lot of ridiculous things instead of horses everywhere if you could, that's for sure.
Schala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:46 AM   #42
Sneaze
Mrow?

Re: SoS's silly mechanic

You can also ride bears, as I found out earlier today and proceeded to do for about an hour. As well as one other thing I will not spoil because it's just that hilarious.

But yeah there's no way to register them. Guides confirm this.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #43
deoxys
Fog Badge

Alright, I've waited a week to let the hype settle down some and let the reality of the game to sink in before jumping on any sort of bandwagon. I think calling something 'the best video game of all time' or putting it up there requires a lot of introspective and analysis before you can really make such a large and bold claim. In fact, it's beyond bold to say something like that. If you're going to claim this about any game, on that broad of a scale, you need to be absolutely serious if you're not just saying in tongue in cheek.

Now. With that being said.

BotW may actually be one of the greatest video games ever created. Granted, this is still somewhat preliminary given my playtime, but so far what I've put in stands up to that. Everything, everything works so flawlessly. The amount of "meat" in the world in both content and the game's "rules", such as physics, is probably more substantive than I've ever seen in any other game before. The amount of things you can do, things you can cause to happen is crazy. The world itself is very much alive, to boot. And for the first time, I'm playing an open world game - one of the biggest open world games, at that - that feels like it's not either insanely empty, or full of too many icons and targets filling my map and overwhelming me. The game encourages user exploration to 'make your own story' to the point where you can ride in any direction for just a few moments and you'll surely find something intriguing, or you'll get into some kind of trouble.

I've probably only put 20 hours into the game and I've only done the first three main story quests. I've spent a ludicrous amount of time exploring Hyrule and getting myself into dumb shenanigans just for the sake of it...

I'll wait to give a "full review", if I even do one, but as of right this moment, a week later, I can confirm that the reviews legitimately are not overhyping this (as rare as that seems these days). This is the real deal.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #44
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Respectfully, one week still places you very much within the maelstrom of bias and hype. You can't expect one week to provide you with the distance required to look back on something objectively and say, "Yes: this is truly the best thing ever." Easy, easy cases in point:
  • people comparing Twitch Plays Pokémon with the JFK assassination, "shared global experience," "Will you remember 30 years from now where you were when Twitch played Pokémon? I will!", etc.
  • people claiming that Mario Galaxy was "the best Mario game ever made" in the months following its release
  • UPNers voting that Gen 6 was "the best generation to date" in the days immediately following its release, only for the community to do a 180 a short year later where the majority placed it at only 3rd or so place
For me, this isn't about you or me or any one specific person making the claim that BotW is the best Zelda ever and one of the best, if not the best, Zeldas ever. This is about a proven track record that the majority of people, including the majority of people on our forum, are greatly susceptible to hype.

That stated,

Neat.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #45
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Shiny new toy syndrome is definitely a thing, yes, but equally it's probably hard to compare to the old zeldas because it's too different. All the other zeldas have been fairly linear. Either the 'Three dungeons, plot, more dungeons' favored by LBW, TP, OoT etc., or the 'This dungeon, then this one, then this one, and so on' favored by LA and MM. This one's literally 'Here you go, there are these temples if you want, no set order though, just wander off, do shit, then go here when you're bored for the finale'. The sheer change of everything makes it look better simply because it's different. The best example is how people hyped S/M to be the best Pokemon games because they were different for a change, and now I don't think anyone really keeps them in too high a regard. They were ok, but they weren't the best thing to happen to Pokemon ever. I can see BotW being similar to that (Approximating from BCS and WCS).

That said I had a go at one of the shrines on my mate's version (Coincidentally it was the one josh was going on about, idk how that was hard), and I am definitely going to see about diving into whatever money I have left to get one when I don't run the risk of it causing me to fail second year miserably.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #46
Sneaze
Mrow?

...there are a ton of Zelda games where you can do dungeons in whatever order you please. Heck even OoT allows it (albeit to a lesser degree). The big thing is just there is always a recommended order. And frankly that's still the case for BotW, we just don't have it nailed down completely as of yet.

So saying it's not comparable to older Zelda games for that reason is just plain wrong. Weapon systems, the way open world puzzles work, etc? Yeah absolutely different. But freedom of choice is not new to Zelda.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #47
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

The freedom of choice is less 'order of dungeons' and more 'they're all optional'.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #48
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
Shiny new toy syndrome is definitely a thing, yes, but equally it's probably hard to compare to the old zeldas because it's too different. All the other zeldas have been fairly linear. Either the 'Three dungeons, plot, more dungeons' favored by LBW, TP, OoT etc., or the 'This dungeon, then this one, then this one, and so on' favored by LA and MM. This one's literally 'Here you go, there are these temples if you want, no set order though, just wander off, do shit, then go here when you're bored for the finale'. The sheer change of everything makes it look better simply because it's different. The best example is how people hyped S/M to be the best Pokemon games because they were different for a change, and now I don't think anyone really keeps them in too high a regard. They were ok, but they weren't the best thing to happen to Pokemon ever. I can see BotW being similar to that (Approximating from BCS and WCS).

That said I had a go at one of the shrines on my mate's version (Coincidentally it was the one josh was going on about, idk how that was hard), and I am definitely going to see about diving into whatever money I have left to get one when I don't run the risk of it causing me to fail second year miserably.
I recently finished A Link to the Past (and will write up my thoughts on it sometime) so let me say this: most people are biased due to playing Ocarina of Time during a formative time in their gaming careers.

I've never played Ocarina, and having played the Oracle games first, I wasn't impressed with ALTTP. It was fun, and challenging at times, but at no point did I feel like I was playing true greatness unlike how I felt during my virgin play of StarCraft back in 2007.

ALTTP is said to be one of the greatest games ever, and this is supported by a number of lists, but it's aged poorly because of the subsequent Zelda games that reuse the same ideas and mechanics. Ocarina has aged graphically and (reputedly) game-play wise, but the story hasn't been matched by later Zelda titles. The story then is what most people will remember fondly from Ocarina, rather than the engaging gameplay or the beautiful graphics.

Given this, it's not hard for me to imagine someone who grew up with Minecraft but is a Zelda neophyte not finding Breath of the Wild groundbreaking. People are going in imprinting their Zelda histories onto the backstory of the new game, crediting Nintendo for an artificial experience Nintendo is not responsible for.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 03-11-2017 at 08:17 PM. Reason: "not" changes the entire argument!
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:05 AM   #49
phoopes
Double Dragon

>Talon

See maybe I'm in the minority here but I remember where I was for Twitch Play Pokémon (drumline practice, our instructor even got in on it) and think that 6th gen was the best gen ever until gen 7 came out (objectively, like gen 3 is my ~favorite~ but I think every successive generation has been better than the last with the exception of gen 4 > gen 5). And as for Mario Galaxy I thought the same thing but looking back on it I would rank it second only to super Mario World. Wasn't really trying to play devil's advocate, these are just my opinions and experiences that I guess other people don't share.

EDIT: To bring this all back to BotW, I played a couple more hours at my friend's house and I've continued to be blown away. For me so far it has absolutely lived up to the hype. Purchasing it myself as soon as I can (which seems to be mid-April around my parts lol)
Old 03-11-2017, 02:46 AM   #50
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

If people are remembering OoT for the story then they are seriously grasping at the dregs. OoT's story was pretty much generic Zelda fare, and nothing that stood out from the generic formula. OoT's the game that brought Zelda into 3d, and that's why it's hyped as amazing: It was so completely different. Hence people's love of BotW, it's different.

Honestly of the Zelda games I've played, the only one I'd say that stands out as being great is Majora's Mask, and that's mainly to do with the music and the cycles. ST was abysmal (mainly because touch screen controls), LA was ok but it being more linear than a ruler did not help, LBW was ok and OoT was not great. MC I haven't gotten far enough to properly evaluate it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games