UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork

Old 10-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Simple Way to Deal With Spambots' Threads

Make it so that you can't post new threads unless your post count is at least 5 or greater. Most spambots attempt to make new threads. Most of the ones I've seen on UPN do not attempt to post spam in existing threads. This would effectively shut down their modus operandi.

Pretty sure all modern bulletin boards allow for this implementation from within the CPanel. Should just be a question of whether you like the idea or not.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I think we had that and someone asked about it, then Kuno disabled it. Although, it could have had been a completely different restriction, as my memory is horrible.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hey, look: I made a suggestion five years ago to confront the very problem plaguing us this month.

So ...? Can we implement this change or what? 'Cause I'm sure sick and tired of the Thai spambots that keep posting garbage threads, and it seems pretty pointless a) to ask the community to wait for Yuki or some other staff member who cares to show up to clean up the mess and b) to ask Yuki or other staff members to keep cleaning these messes up. The proposed fix would be easy and should introduce zero controversy. Many webforums have a "no thread-posting privileges until you've hit X many posts" policy, and since we already have the "no hyperlink-posting privileges until you've hit 10 posts" rule in place I can't really see the argument against restricting thread creation as well. It's not like you can say, "I'm afraid that if I do this then people will spam UPN with shitty posts to hit 10." If they're going to do that, then they are already going to do it because of your hyperlink restriction.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Needing a few normal posts proving you're human before ya can make threads seems like a super reasonable policy idea! Dunno if this version of the boards support it but ya'd think so.

edit!

btw is it better to soft or hard delete threads? I've been seeing the games forums unfortunately crapped up with soft deleted threads. Dunno if regular users see 'em or not? Should they be kept around as "evidence" or something?

Last edited by Lindz; 05-10-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
btw is it better to soft or hard delete threads? I've been seeing the games forums unfortunately crapped up with soft deleted threads. Dunno if regular users see 'em or not? Should they be kept around as "evidence" or something?
1. We don't see them. Thankfully!

2. I believe the reason the threads are being soft deleted (by the person or people doing the soft deleting) is that Kuno has in the past stressed that mods and admins should not hard delete threads. He had reasons for this; however ...

3. I know that I for one would be really discontent to have to settle for a UPN littered with trashy threads. Which is to say, if I could see them, I would be pushing pretty hard for permission to either a) relocate the threads to a Trash Bin forum or else b) be allowed to hard delete them once the account associated with them is banned and/or it's been 24 hrs / 48 hrs / a week / a month since the threads were locked.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Oooh whoops! I did hard delete one without thinking but will leave the rest be!

Last edited by Lindz; 05-10-2015 at 10:50 PM. Reason: prolly dumb of me ta talk about banning stuff in public x.x;
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:24 AM   #7
Mercutio
Banned

Do it.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:29 AM   #8
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

You can hard delete stuff, Lindz. It doesn't matter if it's new threads or spam, it is fairly easy to search up a users post history and just delete things from that.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I don't know if it's possible but as an added level of protection we can ban users who drop certain strings of unreadable text in their posts, akin to the bots.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #10
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I'd really like to implement Talon's suggestion, especially since we have the policy of editing post counts if they're real people. Putting it at 5 would change nothing.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:32 PM   #11
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Oh, I have a side note for you guys: it's not just threads you have to keep an eye on: the social groups are also something to be careful about with spambots. Thankfully there's not many of them (only 2) but I'm pretty sure we don't want to have that happen again.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:03 AM   #12
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I even had a spammy VM some time ago!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork