UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

THQ's "we are beyond fucked" Humble Bundle

www.humblebundle.com

Saint's Row! Darksiders! Soundtracks! A user average several times higher than THQ's stock price! Indie devs qq'ing! It's a trainwreck of fun for everyone!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
deoxys
Fog Badge

I think this is great and Indie devs need to calm down. THQ is in trouble and have a history of making fairly decent games. I don't want to see then go anywhere or those people to lose their jobs, so I would gladly help and pitch in despite already owning Saints Row and Darksiders.

This is a REALLY good deal.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I think this is great and Indie devs need to calm down. THQ is in trouble and have a history of making fairly decent games. I don't want to see then go anywhere or those people to lose their jobs, so I would gladly help and pitch in despite already owning Saints Row and Darksiders.

This is a REALLY good deal.
Realistically, your money will be going to THQ's creditors long before anyone else at the company. I liked some of the games they've published this gen, but we're talking about people who think the world wants a sequel to Homefront so their end is pretty much inevitable.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
deoxys
Fog Badge

To give an idea of just how fucked they are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDN
The company defaulted in covering credit facility debt earlier this month but has managed to arrange a forbearance with Wells & Fargo, giving THQI some borrowed time until January 15. The unpleasant part is that even with this time frame, THQ has no releases that could rack up revenue and help them seal the leaks of their ship. This leaves the private placement of equity as the only solution that could save the company.

THQI filed a delayed 10-Q that saw them logging a Q3 net loss of $20 million. The company’s three anticipated releases – Metro: Last Light, South Park: The Stick of Truth and Company of Heroes 2, have all been delayed. Despite the ’Metro (THQ)’ official Facebook page repeatedly affirming the new Metro game will be released in March 2013, Metro: Last Light still has no release date listed beyond Q1 of 2013.
THQ probably holds first place for most frequently and most generously discounted titles on the world’s largest online distribution platform – Valve Software’s Steam Store. Seeing how even new releases like Darksiders 2 were plagued by day-one DLC and more or less flopped shortly after release, both the company and investors may have something to worry about in 2013.
Source: http://www.gamersdailynews.com/story...reholders.html

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Old 11-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

No new Company of Heroes it looks like =(
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
No new Company of Heroes it looks like =(
You were saying?

BORKED
Old 11-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Loki

I guess THQ has to survive until March then. And then somehow keep supporting the game with obvious patches and balance changes.

I sure hope that game is good. I've been dying for an Eastern Front in a WW2 game.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #8
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I'm tempted to get it, but I dunno. I don't even have Steam at the moment, and I don't really game much, aside from DS games and GBA games, and almost all I play there are Pokemon games. This worth it? If it is, is it worth it to pay above the average price, too?
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
I'm tempted to get it, but I dunno. I don't even have Steam at the moment, and I don't really game much, aside from DS games and GBA games, and almost all I play there are Pokemon games. This worth it? If it is, is it worth it to pay above the average price, too?
You can just download Steam: it's not like you need to give Gabe Newell a prostate massage or anything.

Darksiders is good, Red Faction Armaggedon is meh, Saint's Row the Third is really good (you don't get the DLC, but having played most of those I can safely say you aren't missing much), Company of Heroes is also pretty good but I have zero interest in any WW2 game so you'll have to check with others on those.

Probably the only thing that would stop you from spending six whole dollars(!) is if your machine isn't up to snuff: you can use this site to see if your machine can handle the games you're interested in.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
deoxys
Fog Badge

THQ is dead.

SEGA acquired Relic, which means Company of Heroes and Warhammer.

Koch got Volition, Metro series, Red Faction and Saints Row.

Ubisoft got South Park. No one got Darksiders/Vigil yet.

Oh and Crytek bought Homefront.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 01-23-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
I sure hope that game is good. I've been dying for an Eastern Front in a WW2 game.
It is ridiculous how little modern games/etc focus on the eastern front given the vast majority of the fighting/Axis troops were focussed there.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #12
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
It is ridiculous how little modern games/etc focus on the eastern front given the vast majority of the fighting/Axis troops were focussed there.
My point exactly. The Cold War has been over for two decades and it is still difficult for publishers/developers to make a game where the Soviet Union could be seen as the hero.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

As long as South Park gets finished and released, who cares? =O
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #14
deoxys
Fog Badge

Damn... this is a sad read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigil Games' combat lead designer
My name is Ben Cureton, and I was the Lead Combat Designer at Vigil Games. I'm sitting at my desk among... what appears to be a warzone. The walls look bare. It's quiet.

The seats are empty.

We've all been on edge for the past couple months... and more so, the last couple weeks. I mean, I'm sure you can imagine what it's like to wonder if you will have a job tomorrow. Most of us here joked about it just to keep the mood light, but we all knew what could happen. Now I look around and I realize... it did happen.

Am I sad? Well yea. I've been in this industry for 20 years. Seriously. Two decades. I've been laid off more than once. It sucks every time. But am I sad I don't have a job? Not really... I'm sure I'll get another one eventually. I'm sad because it won't be THIS job. It won't be at Vigil. That's why I'm sad. The people I waged war with are no longer together. The people that I bled with, vented with, argued with (often times LOUDLY), and kicked back with... these people will never be together again in the same combination.

Not that it was perfect. But what is perfect? Did I like coming to work? Yes. Was I proud of the work that I did? Yes. More importantly, was I proud of the work that WE did? Absolutely. I knew, without a shadow of the doubt, that the project we were working on (Codenamed: Crawler) was going to blow people away. In fact, it DID blow people away. We did, in TWO months, what many companies haven't done in a year. The pride of knowing that no one was doing anything like us was so satisfying, it kept us coming to work and giving 100% every single day, even through the dark times.

... so maybe you can imagine what it feels like when you read the list of who bought what only to discover your name is not on the list. Why? Did we do something wrong? Were we not good enough? Were we not worth 'anything?' Imagine that.

Vigil was filled with people that I would put up against the best in the industry. People that made my work better, people that made me a better designer, and people that made me a better person. And now they are gone.

Their seats are empty.

It's OK, though. I guess this post makes it sound a bit melodramatic. Seriously... if you work in the video game industry you have to be resilient. Doing what you love often comes with a price - anyone who has been around for a while can tell you that. Today, that price has been paid. That being said, I'd still never dissuade anyone from following their dreams if their dream is to make video games. While it's not as romantic as it sounds, it's sure a hell of a lot of fun.

So don't cry for the people at Vigil. We made games for game players. I have no Horror stories from working here... only Honor stories. Through both praise and critiques alike, our goal was always to make a product as if we, ourselves, were the end-user. We may have gotten pushed and pulled in certain directions by forces out of our control, we were always in it to make games for game players. And that's what we did.

I can only hope that those spared from the other companies remain employed long into the future. There is not much worse than false hope, and these people deserve to continue making great games. You may not know their names, but they exist, and they bleed, sweat, and cry for your entertainment. I mean that honestly, with no negativity. They do it... no, WE do it... because we want you to have a good time.

In closing, I can only say thank you to the fans of Vigil games. Your support means more than you can imagine. Your feedback (both positive and negative) gave us long-lasting insight that we will all take with us, wherever we may go. You are the reason we made Darksiders 1 &2... and you are the reason we will continue to make games.

And with that... my seat is empty.

Ben Cureton
Lead Combat Designer
Vigil Games

P.S. This is no place for a horse.
Also some employees from platinum games (Bayonetta, Anarchy Reigns) were musing on twitter tonight about buying Darksiders.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #15
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Also some employees from platinum games (Bayonetta, Anarchy Reigns) were musing on twitter tonight about buying Darksiders.
To be fair, does Platinum really need another low volume niche-selling IP?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #16
deoxys
Fog Badge

No, but I think it's pretty much a light in the dark for fans who don't want to see a series they enjoy die just like that. From what I've personally played of Darksiders, I liked it fine and from what I've played in games like Vanquish and seen from Bayonetta, I can understand why this would get people excited for the gameplay aspect.

Platinum really isn't a well known studio among the majority of gamers I'd say, so it really probably wouldnt benefit them much more than possibly becoming their most well known IP if they did decide to buy it.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #17
deoxys
Fog Badge

Necoring because the THQ bundle is on sale again this week, but this time if you pay more than the average you get Darksiders 2. Really sweet deal.

http://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games