UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 09-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Where do you stand politically?

I found this site that gives you an interesting questionnaire to determine how you stand politically; http://politicaltest.net/

Took the test, this was my result:

Some of it (such as the... anarchistic aspect) I was a bit surprised on... and my overall result "Patriotic"...? ...."Social Democrat"? Er, I'm a little confused.

Anyway, share your stances? Or even if you don't take the questionnaire, where do you stand politically?

EDIT: Found this one, too. Gonna give it a go. http://www.politicalcompass.org/test - EDIT - Finished, was put into the Left Libertarian catergory - a good, well rounded test in terms of results and professionalism.

EDIT 2: MORE SITES (if you have lots of free time)

http://www.nolanchart.com/survey.php (Determines Liberal, Statist, Conservative, Liberatian, or Centrist ideologies)

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz (Purportedly similar to the above)

LONG QUIZ - http://c4ss.org/quiz - gives your results like these - More spot on?

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 09-15-2012 at 11:53 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos

EDIT: I'm a social democratic Cosmopolitan.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/159916/

Well then.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
phoopes
Double Dragon

"You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 16 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 86 percent are more extremist than you."

Some of these certainly surprised me. For example, I wouldn't have thought that my anarchist rating would be that high, and I thought I would score a high rating with pacifist instead of getting a small percentage leaning towards neutral.

Also, lol at 86% are more extremist than you for both me and Deo.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
deoxys
Fog Badge

Ahaha, both of you Social Democratic Cosmopolitans.

In before everyone else is, too. Just like with Jill Stein.

EDIT: I just realized, I bet you it only called me "patriotic" because I leaned 2% right into the 'Nationalistic' category. That doesn't seem very proper considering it's pretty much neutral :/

EDIT 2: I just discovered another site I'm going to try out as well.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Last edited by deoxys; 09-15-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Apparently. Pretty shitty questionnaire though.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal

...didn't expect to be so communistic.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

I agree. Just because I don't want government to have control of the media does not make me an anarchist.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash

I don't understand the Anthropocentric. At all.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #10
deoxys
Fog Badge

Well, I think what this test did is split multiple categories into two pieces; anarchist in this situation means more or less smaller government whereas authoritarian is the opposite, at least, that's how I see it.

The test would also be a lot more accurate if it were larger.

As for the other site I linked, I just finished it; here's my result... Libertarian Left. And in the chart? You'll see I scored INCREDIBLY differently than some fairly well known names...

And here are the 2012 candidates for the record: http://www.politicalcompass.org/charts/us2012.php

ALSO! I've found MORE SITES to take tests on, for those curious for a better idea of their beliefs! And I've linked in the OP!

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Last edited by deoxys; 09-15-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #11
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept

I guess I'm just a dirty, dirty communist. Except I really don't like communism :p. I think the 28% towards communistic rather than capitalisitic is because I voted stronglt against stuff like "a companies only social responsibility is to make a profit" because I like the Bill and Ted philosophy of "Be excellent to each other". Sure the free market has it's place, but if we have the power to improve peoples lives then we bloody well should (hence things like charity, and the successful drive to erradicate smallpox - both of which benefit people who haven't "earnt" it per se, but are still good things). The trick is finding a compromise between providing a certain baseline level below which we don't let people fall and not making it completely irrational to ever work at all.

Another for the "social democratic cosmopolitan" bandwagon. Bits of the quiz I left as neutral though as they were too American-centric, and the nolan chart I found completely untakeable.

Last edited by Concept; 09-16-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #12
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Why does every single one of these online polls make everyone out to be very left wing indeed? Seriously, where's Kush, why is this? Clearly people aren't rampantly left wing on average as there aren't that many seriously left wing governments in the developed world.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #13
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

People who take these kind of quizes aren't an accurate representation of society at large. For example I know I'm more secular than average even by British standards, let alone the States.

Last edited by Concept; 09-16-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #14
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Yes, but everyone gets to the end of them and goes "Wait, I'm really not that left wing".

Political Compass is one of the worst for it, pretty much everyone I knows comes out hard left and most of them vote Tory. I guess it's a question phrasing thing (Insert Kush's favourite YPM clip) as the right wing ones tend to be like

"Do you support big businesses right to blend children into a paste if there is a market for it?"

And the left ones are things like

"Do you like cute kittens?"

Which are extremely leading.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #15
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Corollary to the above - people who write these kind of quizzes aren't an accurate representation of society at large.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #16
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

I think that one might be a lot more true.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #17
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
"Homosexuals are entitled to have the exact same rights as heterosexuals."
This is an unfair question. Of course Homosexuals should be granted the same rights as heterosexuals, including the right to marry someone of the opposite gender, because marriage of the same gender is not a right granted to heterosexuals.

"Without believing in a higher power, it is not possible to establish a plausible system of values."
So true.

O.o;
Democratic National Liberal?

The label doesn't make sense, but the graph fits better. What in the world is anthropocentric about though?

Anthropocentrism, ah, it means I consider Humans to be better than animals. Well, that's fair.

Edit: Next quiz Political Compass
"The only social responsibility of a company should be to deliver a profit to its shareholders."
Well now, that's a completely ignorant question. Only corporations have shareholders, most small businesses are sole proprietorships, partnerships, S-corps, or LLCs, which do NOT generally have shareholders. I'm going to have to disagree with this statement, and it's likely going to impact my score..

Ah, I guess it's ok, because the next question is "The rich are too highly taxed." lol. Of course they are.

"No broadcasting institution, however independent its content, should receive public funding."
Of course they shouldn't. The very act of receiving funding means they can not be fully independent, especially since government's first priority is always to amass more power then it's allowed.

"Sex outside marriage is usually immoral." Why can't they state absolutes to be agreed with or disagreed with by degrees? Unfair question.

Economic Left/Right: 3.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.44

More Authoritarian then Libertarian? Must be because I remarked that, an advantage of authoritarian governments is no need for political squabbles. Which is true, but doesn't mean I support it. And it probably factored all my religious answers (which are personal and have nothing to do with proper governance) just to spite me.

Now I'm seriously confused- Obama is more "right" than I am? o.o

Last edited by unownmew; 09-16-2012 at 11:10 AM.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #18
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Yeah, I found that quiz to be really strangely biased with the wording of some of their questions, deoxys. It said that I'm a liberal patriot. WTF?

It's also really hard to answer some of these questions with their system. For example, the question "do you think religion should be taught in schools?" is vague. I do think it should be taught in schools, because religion has been and is a historically, politically, culturally, etc important part of mankind, but I don't think that a specific religious background should be taught. And because I put "I agree in part" it labels me fundamentalist. Really weird.

Strange.

Last edited by Amras.MG; 09-16-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Everyone in this thread is more anarchist than unown "anti-government" mew. Evidently, something is wrong with the quiz, if it already wasn't clear enough.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #20
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not really. For all his talk of how he hates the gub'mint, he's incredibly authoritarian when it comes to theocracy. Or do you not remember his Rick Santorum fangasms? He believes in a government telling people who they can and cannot marry. He believes in a government telling people they cannot abort. He believes in bossing people around on how they privately live their lives on a great number of matters all guided by his religious beliefs. Thus, if you consider how much he wants a theocracy, it's no surprise at all to see how authoritarian he'd register on the scale.

Not that that means the quiz isn't horseshit, but I'm just saying you can't exactly take his "BARACK OSAMA BIN SATAN!" anti-federalism as a sign that he's a true blue libertarian anarchist.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #21
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
It's also really hard to answer some of these questions with their system. For example, the question "do you think religion should be taught in schools?" is vague. I do think it should be taught in schools, because religion has been and is a historically, politically, culturally, etc important part of mankind, but I don't think that a specific religious background should be taught. And because I put "I agree in part" it labels me fundamentalist. Really weird.
I had the exact same though process when it came to that question (and answered it the same way you did). Do I want schools to teach children a specific religion as fact? No. Do I want them taught about major world religions? Of course I do - for one so they can make their own decisions, but most importantly because it such a major part of so many peoples lives you're asking for disaster if you don't teach people at something about them.

>UM

Actually Talon has a point - I've always found your views on the authoritarianism scale kind of all over the place because when discussing federal government you come across as "no almost any government regulation or control or telling people how to live is bad" but when it comes to the state level you're very pro-states rights (and have previously argued against applying several amendments, such as the first with freedom of religion, to state governments) - an incredibly "state governments should have incredible power and authority over their citizens" point of view, and frankly a level of power that I would find terrifying in any group. How do you reconcile these two seemingly contradictary viewpoints, and which of the two would you take in countries like the UK that don't have this two layer state and federal thing? Should the UK government have the level of power you're comfortable with the state governments having, or be restricted to the level of power you're comfortable with the federal government having?

>Democratic Social Liberal

It's not applying democratic in terms of the party but in terms of democracy, nor does it seem to be applying liberal in the way Americans have decidied it means that it never has meant :p

EDIT the first: Massive lols at UM's polticial compass score, it's placed him noticeably left of where it's placed Obama :p. Man these things are nonsense, but I suppose it gives us a good general politics debate thread as the Candidates for President one goes out of date in seven weeks :p

Last edited by Concept; 09-16-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #22
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Next quiz, the Nolan chart:
Apparently it has no "linkable picture" but it places me As Libertarian, closer to centrist and Liberal than Total Libertarian and Conservative but decidedly in the middle of everything. Probably because it has very little religious questions.

Next quiz

Interesting, this one is almost the exact opposite (right/left), as the previous Nolan one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
>UM

Actually Talon has a point - I've always found your views on the authoritarianism scale kind of all over the place because when discussing federal government you come across as "no almost any government regulation or control or telling people how to live is bad" but when it comes to the state level you're very pro-states rights (and have previously argued against applying several amendments, such as the first with freedom of religion, to state governments) - an incredibly "state governments should have incredible power and authority over their citizens" point of view, and frankly a level of power that I would find terrifying in any group. How do you reconcile these two seemingly contradictary viewpoints, and which of the two would you take in countries like the UK that don't have this two layer state and federal thing? Should the UK government have the level of power you're comfortable with the state governments having, or be restricted to the level of power you're comfortable with the federal government having?
Well, Short answer: I'm a Constitutionalist.

It would surprise you, I think, as well as frighten you, that when the Constitution of the United States was adopted, and for few years after, at least a couple of the 13 colonies, were very much theocratic governments, even to the point of disallowing members of a particular denomination from holding public offices. This was very much not illegal under the US Constitution, and could have persisted for quite a long time, except that the people of those states decided, of themselves, to amend their State Constitutions to fit the ideals of the US Constitution of religious equality. They didn't have to, and it's still not strictly illegal. The First Amendment, particularly about Religious freedom, but everything else there as well, applies only to the US Congress, not the states or their legislatures.

So, how do I reconcile these two seemingly opposed convictions of "limited government" vs "authoritarian government"? Quite easily.
Government's purpose is to ensure freedom and opportunity, while encouraging a moral society.

In America, the Federal government is in charge of protecting citizens from some few gross appropriations by the states (right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed, right of the people to be secure from unreasonable searches and seizures, right of the people to a grand jury, due process and just compensation, speedy and public trial by jury, protection from excessive bail or fines, and cruel and unusual punishments, right of the people of any color or gender to vote, and freedom from slavery and involuntary servitude, except in cases of duly convicted criminal offenses) as well as the right to a republican form of state government, but the Federal government is otherwise only there to ensure ease of interstate trade, international trade, and the protection of the nation from foreign aggression or domestic insurrection, as well as governance over all non-state Government Property/Land. Or any other thing that may be amended to the constitution through the proper procedures.

While the states have all other authority, as granted by the people through the state constitutions, and exercised by their locally elected legislatures, in any other matter, particularly those of moral character.

The initial passage of the Prohibition Amendment precludes that the Federal Government does have authority to legislate over the States regarding serious moral issues that impact the entire nation, when the people grant it such powers, but otherwise, this power falls to the states, and by extension, the people, to legislate morality as they see fit. A Law based on a particular morality, be that a religious morality or not, so long as it has no strict religious bearings, or the reason for it's inclusion is because of the religion it's from, does not abridge religious freedom.

Public morality falls squarely under "promoting the general welfare," as listed in the Preamble, while not denying the blessings of liberty, freedom which result from self government. This doesn't contradict with limited government, because, limited government is only necessary when there is no higher governing power to keep it in check. States are regulated by the Federal power, so it is impossible for them to usurp power from the people, but the federal government has no such body to prevent it from usurping power from it's people, so it must needs be drastically limited.

Edit: Because of the locality of State Governments, being as that they are far closer to the citizens than the federal government is, they can be granted greater power, because they are more directly responsible to their people, and it is far easier to keep their government in check as citizens.

As for nations which do not follow the Federal form of government, I support this: Constitutionalism- as per that country's constitution, and self-government.
It's kind of difficult to take the power to legislate morality out of a non-federal government's hands, as the very idea of non-federal government structure is contrary to the standards of limited government, and a non-federal government without that power would be a husk of itself, but I suppose the best substitute would be putting that power in the hands of the local cities/provinces, except when the majority of the people desire a certain moral at their national level.

Or they can just apply for US Statehood, as that would solve the problem very easily.

Last edited by unownmew; 09-16-2012 at 02:01 PM.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #23
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Cubone View Post
Why does every single one of these online polls make everyone out to be very left wing indeed? Seriously, where's Kush, why is this? Clearly people aren't rampantly left wing on average as there aren't that many seriously left wing governments in the developed world.
I was looking at the results on other sites and there were LOTS of people who scored primarily only to the right; they were dubbed Bourgeious Nationalists, for some.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 09-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #24
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

>UM

You must have some view on what powers it is an isn't appropriate for any government to wield. You mentioned federal government "protecting citizens from some few gross appropriations by the states", which suggests that there are certain things you don't believe even the state governments should be allowed to decide, and you must have some way independant of the constitution of working what they should and shouldn't be able to decide - if there wasn't, there'd be no way of deciding what goes in a constitution to start with. How would you go about putting together a new constitution? What things would your ideal constitution allow a government to do or not do? And most importantly;

What principle(s) is behind these choices? And if more than one principle, give us a way of determining which take precedence over which when they inevitably conflict.

Last edited by Concept; 09-16-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #25
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
um's result makes me lose faith in humanity. Both in how someone can be that far that direction, but also that apparently he could be 34 percent more capitalist.

> This is an unfair question. Of course Homosexuals should be granted the same rights as heterosexuals, including the right to marry someone of the opposite gender, because marriage of the same gender is not a right granted to heterosexuals.

I'm trying to hold back my "die in a fire" rage for now, but seriously, are you disturbed?

Stop giving me reasons to hate humanity.

> Concept

He'll say something like "God is fundamental as the base of all government" or something
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Last edited by Slash; 09-16-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate