UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation

15 students are selected to attend Hope's Peak Private Academy, a high school for promising and privileged persons with a hopeful future ahead of them. However, upon arrival they discover they are forever trapped in the school run by a principal named Monokuma (Monobear). There is a catch, though: if a student murders another student and gets away with it, he or she will be allowed to leave. If, however, a student murders another student and is discovered, he or she will be executed.

Length: 13 episodes
Airs: Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copygoo View Post
I was gonna make a thread for this but it's already here so cool!

A note: This thread will be ONLY for the anime and as such absolutely no spoilers whatsoever are to be discussed here, not even in spoiler tags. For everyone who's read the Let's Play or otherwise knows what's going to happen, discuss everything in the Dangan Ronpa thread in the Entertainment forum.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 07-05-2013 at 03:38 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
deoxys
Fog Badge

Characters: (descriptions taken from Wikipedia)

Makoto Naegi: The protagonist. An ordinary high school student who was accepted to the academy by raffle. He has no spectacular talents apart from his optimism and was given the title of Super High School Level Good Luck.

Monobear: A strange teddy bear who proclaims himself to be the principal of the academy and initiates a life of mutual killing amongst the students.

Sayaka Maizono: A cheerful girl who is the leader of a five member nationally popular idol group. Makoto and Sayaka went to same junior high school. Her title is Super High School Level Idol.

Leon Kuwata: A brash teenager who is exceptionally good at baseball. His title is Super High School Level Baseball Player.

Kyouko Kirigiri: A mysterious female who seemingly has amnesia but also possesses a cool head and reasoning skills. The skill for she was accepted into the academy for is unknown.

Byakuya Togami: The successor of a highly successful family corporation who considers himself superior to all the other students in the academy. His title is Super High School Level Heir.

Aoi Asahina: A well meaning, air-headed student who excels in athletic sports, especially swimming. Her title is Super High School Level Swimmer.

Kiyotaka Ishimaru: An enthusiastically straight laced student who is a stickler for rules and order. His title is Super High School Level Hall Monitor.

Touko Fukawa: A gloomy girl with a persecution complex who is a best selling novelist. Her title is Super High School Level Literature Girl

Mondo Oowada: A hot-blooded student who is a head of the largest bōsōzoku group in the country. His title is Super High School Level Gang Leader.

Sakura Oogami: A fearsome student who is a world class fighter and is nicknamed "The Ogre". Title is Super High School Level Wrestler.

Hifumi Yamada: An otaku student who is a popular dōjin manga artist. He proclaims that his interests are solely in the "2D World". His title is Super High School Level Dōjin Author.

Celestia Ludenberg: A student in Gothic Lolita costume who is a famous gambler and known as the "Queen of Liars." Her title is Super High School Level Gambler.

Yasuhiro Hagakure: A laid back student who is a rising star in the fortune telling community. His title is Super High School Level Fortune Teller.

Junko Enoshima: A charismatic gyaru fashion model who has modeled for many popular magazines. Her title is Super High School Level Gyaru.

Chihiro Fujisaki: A shy, retiring student who is a skilled programmer, with the title of Super High School Level Programmer.

Last edited by deoxys; 07-05-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

Even though we have a Dang Rope thread in Entertainment, I made one here because I didn't want discussion of the anime to interfere with the game/Let's Plays.

First episode impressions:

I'm not sure what to think just yet. Going into this I didn't at all know what the premise of the show was, so I was slightly let down once I discovered the whole battle royale/hunger games-esque storyline, though I'm not exactly disappointed. It's an interesting premise for sure, but it's not something I'm entirely a fan of.

The good news is the premise of the show alone means this will more than likely be a hot topic in terms of something to discuss given the very nature of the show coupled with the "whodunit?" scenarios we are almost sure to encounter.

On Monobear: Don't really know how to feel about that. Obviously it's a robot or something remote controlled, maybe even a demon (I doubt it), but I've never really been a fan of "serious" anime having a cartoonish animal/comic relief character. I know, it was a game before it was an anime, but still, I feel very meh about it. I won't let it get in the way of the story though.

So that's about it. I don't really have any spoilery thoughts on the episode for this week since we're just getting started, so I think this is all I have to say for now.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Have you played the game VGM?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
deoxys
Fog Badge

I haven't, nor have I watched the Let's Plays. Everything I know about the story I know from the first episode and the MAL description... so this is an entirely fresh experience for me.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I think the designs are "kawaii". Trying to avoid using two other adjectives that would commit me to a certain mind-set.

Will watch!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

I was gonna make a thread for this but it's already here so cool!

A note: This thread will be ONLY for the anime and as such absolutely no spoilers whatsoever are to be discussed here, not even in spoiler tags. For everyone who's read the Let's Play or otherwise knows what's going to happen, discuss everything in the Dangan Ronpa thread in the Entertainment forum.

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I watched the first episode.

It's interesting, but nothing mind-breaking. I'm less interested in the premise and more the execution, as it were. I'd imagine that as stability breaks down in Hope Academy, the complexity of the murders will increase as it becomes more difficult to pinpoint who did what.

I got myself spoiled though on a character death, looking up something. That said, I did find some odd information.

(stuff I don't consider spoiler material but others spoiled me by pointing it out)

Spoiler: show

Sakura is female. Chihiro is male (and voiced by a male CV). Most of the Evangelion cast is here, and Monobear is Doraemon (who is very distinctive, having played few other roles). It seems the CV cast of this is trying to evoke a sense of familiarity by drawing on anime classics.

I like Sayaka. Would bang. Unfortunately, I think she's going to go the route of June in 999.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 07-05-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Yeah that second fact in the third paragraph is a spoiler

Old 07-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
deoxys
Fog Badge

Sorry Copy, didn't mean to take the thread from you! If I'd known you were going to make it I'd have left it for you. I watched the episode this morning and wanted to talk about my thoughts so I just decided to go ahead and make it. I did edit the OP with your rule though, I think it's solid and everyone should see it.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Oh no, I'm not mad that you made it! There's no issue. Thanks for putting my rule in the OP.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
deoxys
Fog Badge

So as a big Dang Rope fan, how do you feel about the anime so far? Do you feel like it has done the game justice?
Old 07-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Absolutely! My only complaint is some of the translations, but that's not the anime's fault. Like in the dub, Togami is "Super Duper High School Scion" and Mondo is "Super Duper High School Outlaw Biker", but I much prefer the Let's Play's translation of "Super High School Level Heir" and "Super High School Level Gang Leader", respectively.

SDHS doesn't roll off the tongue as well as SHSL, and also Gang Leader is a much better and more accurate title for Mondo than just "Outlaw Biker".

Yamada's title is better as Super High School Level Doujin Author, too.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
hey doppel that second fact is a spoiler so you might wanna edit that
How is it a spoiler if it's obviously a male actor? Heck, the only reason I went to confirm it is to check out which one.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copygoo View Post
Absolutely! My only complaint is some of the translations, but that's not the anime's fault. Like in the dub, Togami is "Super Duper High School Scion" and Mondo is "Super Duper High School Outlaw Biker", but I much prefer the Let's Play's translation of "Super High School Level Heir" and "Super High School Level Gang Leader", respectively.

SDHS doesn't roll off the tongue as well as SHSL, and also Gang Leader is a much better and more accurate title for Mondo than just "Outlaw Biker".

Yamada's title is better as Super High School Level Doujin Author, too.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ダンガンロンパ_希望の学園と絶望の高校生

Quote:
超高校級
ある分野において特に優れた能力をもつ高校生につけられる称号。
This is what you're talking about, right? Choukoukoukyuu or "Super High School Grade/Class/Rank". It's possible that some of the translators are opting to use an official English localization's word choice. Didn't you mention a while ago that the game's coming out in English now? Maybe the official translations of some of the game's terms were leaked. And so maybe some of the fansubbers are using those leaked terms, for legacy viewers' sake. It's like when someone translates Phoenix Wright comics: they call him Phoenix Wright, not Naruhodou Ryuuichi. Same deal, maybe. *shrug*

UTW is who I'm watching with, and they've opted for Super Duper, it looks like. Like, they have "Super Duper High School Luckster" at around 2m15s.

*resumes watching*
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #16
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

It's not coming out in English, per se, but there's a fan translation patch made for the game that translates it into English. So none of the translations are the "official" English localization. I just prefer "Super High School Level" because "Super Duper" anything sounds really ridiculous.

These are all my opinions though! I'm not stating any of these as how they are 100% /supposed to be/, I was just noting the difference and how I think they sound better.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pausing on Fujisaki Chihiro to say that she sounds like a trap. I recognize that voice. I'll be damned if I can say from where though. In no way, shape, or form sounds like a girl.

(for video game players only thanks to now-edited or deleted comments from earlier)

Am going to laugh my ass off -AND- thumb my nose at you guys for giving Doppel so much hassle if this is in fact the thing you guys were talking about earlier but have since deleted or edited or whatnot. Didn't want to be spoiled so I tried to forget about it, but good gravy does this stand out.

Am also going to lay the blame pretty squarely at your boys' feet for spoiling us on this one. Doppel was just speculating based on the voice alone, the same as I was just now. It's you guys, by confirming he was right, who spoiled everybody. This is also why I'm leaving my own personal speculation outside of the spoiler tag -- because I'd have said this very same thing even without Doppel's post. I KNOW THAT VOICE! -- but am respectfully placing the rest in here.

In the future, give folks like Doppel or Yuki or bbb the benefit of the doubt. We've seen a veritable boatload of stories, and in some cases are a decade older than you. There's a lot we're probably going to be able to figure out via deductive reasoning and familiarity with anime cliches that you guys might not have. Don't assume we've cheated and don't think that just because we nailed it it means you should tell us we nailed it. No. Leave the unspoilered speculation to us TV viewers, and please leave the confirmation or rejection of 100% of our theories to the TV show itself. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

It's not like I'm going to tell you every single time you speculate something right or wrong. We just pointed out that one because we thought he had looked it up and he already knew it 100% for sure, and we didn't realize he was talking about the VA.

BUT it is definitely our fault for bringing attention to it, so, yep. Better topic: Purely by first impressions, who do you all think will survive, who do you think will kill someone else, and who do you think will be killed?

Old 07-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #19
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Wait, there's a translation out? I was under the assumption this was not a PC game. Or is the patch for a console or hand-held?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #20
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

It's a PSP game.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This entire cast of characters looks utterly unappealing. Only ones I'm thinking I'm gonna like are:
  • Mondo
  • Touko
  • Kyouko <3
  • maybe Celestia
Kyouko's the obvious Talon's Choice Award candidate, but we'll see.

Some of these names might be clues, as in 999. For example, Kirigiri (Kyouko's last name) evokes 切り切り "cut cut", so who knows, maybe she uses piano wire or knives or something.

Naegi and Sayaka (the protagonist and the girl with fair skin, blue eyes, and long navy blue hair) seem like they're torn straight out of 999. When I see Sayaka, I feel like I'm looking right at June. So ...

(Major spoilers for 999, but 100% pure speculation for Dangan Ronpa)

... Sayaka is currently my #1 suspect for having set all of this up. It would explain how Naegi got here (since he's otherwise a plain average Joe with no special traits) since she knew him from before. She just feels very June-like. So yes, #1 suspect by far.

You ask who I think is going to live or die but I've only just met the kids -- I'm about 6m30s in -- so I'm going to be pretty blindly speculating based on tropes and visual clues alone.

Will make it far for sure:
  • Naegi (duh)
  • Sayaka
  • Kyouko
Will at least make it to the halfway point and be a memorable character:
  • Mondo
  • Aoi
  • scary muscle dude
  • blond prissy dude
  • Chihiro
  • Touko
Probably won't get too far but will be a memorable early opponent:
  • Celestia
No clue, but generally likeliest to be among the early casualties:
  • everybody else

Last edited by Talon87; 07-05-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I really really like how they're using the games music for this. It fits perfectly. Although we didn't hear Monobears theme? Or did I miss it somehow? I hope they play it, it is a cool tune.

Other than that, even though I read the whole thing the anime already looks way better.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #23
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
In the future, give folks like Doppel or Yuki or bbb the benefit of the doubt. We've seen a veritable boatload of stories, and in some cases are a decade older than you. There's a lot we're probably going to be able to figure out via deductive reasoning and familiarity with anime cliches that you guys might not have. Don't assume we've cheated and don't think that just because we nailed it it means you should tell us we nailed it. No. Leave the unspoilered speculation to us TV viewers, and please leave the confirmation or rejection of 100% of our theories to the TV show itself. Thanks.
For the record, I've read the Let's Play, so you'll see no speculation from me unless the story changes significantly for the TV broadcast. For that matter, I checked Dopple's original post, and the spoiler was already laid out there even without people pointing it out. I was tempted to edit it out myself until I scrolled down and saw it was too late. *shrug* I haven't watched the episode myself anyway, so I can't comment on how obvious it was even to first-time viewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
This entire cast of characters looks utterly unappealing. Only ones I'm thinking I'm gonna like are:
  • Mondo
  • Touko
  • Kyouko <3
  • maybe Celestia
Kyouko's the obvious Talon's Choice Award candidate, but we'll see.

Some of these names might be clues, as in 999. For example, Kirigiri (Kyouko's last name) evokes 切り切り "cut cut", so who knows, maybe she uses piano wire or knives or something.

Naegi and Sayaka (the protagonist and the girl with fair skin, blue eyes, and long navy blue hair) seem like they're torn straight out of 999. When I see Sayaka, I feel like I'm looking right at June. So ...

(Major spoilers for 999, but 100% pure speculation for Dangan Ronpa)

... Sayaka is currently my #1 suspect for having set all of this up. It would explain how Naegi got here (since he's otherwise a plain average Joe with no special traits) since she knew him from before. She just feels very June-like. So yes, #1 suspect by far.

You ask who I think is going to live or die but I've only just met the kids -- I'm about 6m30s in -- so I'm going to be pretty blindly speculating based on tropes and visual clues alone.

Will make it far for sure:
  • Naegi (duh)
  • Sayaka
  • Kyouko
Will at least make it to the halfway point and be a memorable character:
  • Mondo
  • Aoi
  • scary muscle dude
  • blond prissy dude
  • Chihiro
  • Touko
Probably won't get too far but will be a memorable early opponent:
  • Celestia
No clue, but generally likeliest to be among the early casualties:
  • everybody else
Sadly, I had to look almost all these characters up, and honestly can't remember a single one's name off the top of my head (including the main guy) except for Celestia since she's kaisap's favorite. ^^; I think that speaks for how memorable the cast is.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #24
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
Sadly, I had to look almost all these characters up, and honestly can't remember a single one's name off the top of my head (including the main guy) except for Celestia since she's kaisap's favorite. ^^; I think that speaks for how memorable the cast is.
Really? That's weird. You're basically the only person who can't remember them after reading the Let's Play, then. Everyone else I know can rattle off every character's full name no problem.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #25
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
To be fair, you randomly got introduced to a ton of characters at once without a bunch of dialog for most of them so give it a few weeks.

Personally I will never be able to unhear Zoro or Ranmas voice, ahaha.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime