UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

View Poll Results: Will you be sitting out spoilers for Gen 6?
Yes! No spoilers for me this time! 17 48.57%
No! I love learning the latest news during pre-release season! 18 51.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Will you be sitting out spoilers this time? (Gen 6 pre-release poll)

Making voting public so it's sort of a "we're all in this together, brothers!" sort of thing. You can see that others are with you in keeping themselves spoiler-free until October. And if you don't mind spoilers, it'll make it easier for you to find out who you can share your finds with and who you politely should not.

Anyway, pretty self explanatory again:

Vote "Yes!" if you plan to try and avoid spoilers before you get a chance to play (and beat) the game yourself. This means no CoroCoro magazine scans, no more interviews with Nintendo or GameFreak staff (at least not when they're clearly going to talk about Pokémon; you can still check into E3, TGS, and PAX, of course), no reading Serebii's front page spoilers until October, nothing. If you fall off the bandwagon a little (whether by choice or not), no worries. Just hop right back on and let's enjoy the ride together until October.

Vote "No!" if you relish in the latest intel, don't mind spoilers, get pumped up by knowing the entire PokéDex's contents before the game is even out, plan to look up your starter's evolutions, plan to read CoroCoro magazine scans, etc. This is a perfectly awesome choice too!

Whatever your choice, we'll all see each other again in October. Now go and vote!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Mercutio
Banned

Never been much for spoilers, I'll be keeping abreast of events. But were I not heavily invested in the ASB as a GL (therefore meaning I need to know what new stuff I get to play with) or were UPN not my internet home outside of Facebook, I'd not really be paying attention since I have no interest in playing the games.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Didn't vote because the answers are too over-specific. I don't really push to find stuff out, but there are certain things (specifically, starter lines) I'd prefer to know.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I usually don't give a rats' about spoilers, but considering that it will be a lot easier than the past few gens to do it, I might as well discover the Pokemon in my first playthrough, as I had in Gens I and II.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I thrive on spoilers for Pokemon games that are due to be released. Especially when said games herald the start of a new generation, and we're getting new Pokemon in the mix as well. I'm not gonna avoid any spoilers at all. Hell, with luck, I'll have my entire team planned out before we even know all the Pokemon, like with Generation V (Tepig, Klink, Zoroark, Basculin, Pansage, and Woobat were all revealed pre-release)! I already know 1/6th of my X Version team- Chespin.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I'm gonna -try- to minimize Spoilers this time around; last time I knew nearly everything about Gen V and it ruined the experience for me somewhat. With BW2, I barely knew anything about the new content and was pleasantly surprised to find all the new stuff.

I say this but when all the news comes out I know I'll rabidly flock to it. Let's hope they trickle it unlike Gen V.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I avoided spoilers gen 4 and gen 5. So of course I'll do it again this time. Haha.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
deoxys
Fog Badge

I don't mind finding out about like up to a total of five more new Pokemon, but that's it, no more, I want it to be completely fresh when I start. I actually really hope Nintendo and Gamefreak refuse to show off that much info until the month of release, to be honest. With Gen 5 it felt like they were releasing 20 new Pokemon a month up to release... I really don't want that, so if they pull that, I'm going to avoid all Pokemon XY spoilers like the plague.

That said, I will want to see the region map. Other than that, I am avoiding spoilers completely. I want to go into this with about as much knowledge as I had for Red and Blue.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I guess I should list out my own idea of what is and is not allowed (for me; you guys do whatever! )

Allowed:
  • what's happened so far (seen the starters, know the gen is coming, know the sales date)
  • anything revealed by the anime between now and October
  • other stuff, TBD?
Not Allowed:
  • finding out the secondary types (if any) of the starters or their evos
  • seeing what the starters' evos look like
  • finding out any elements of the plot
  • finding out about new mechanics or features (like how Gen V did infini-TMs or how Gen IV did the physical/special split)
  • other stuff, TBD
Not Sure If Allowed Or Not:
  • asking a friend to check for me if so-and-so evolves and if so then how. On the one hand, I don't think it's fair if he tells me that it doesn't evolve. That should be a surprise. On the other hand, it's a bitch of an unpleasant surprise ; and I also want to, need to, know if the guy I'm raising CAN evolve but can only do so under some very specific circumstances. Back in RBY, this wasn't true. Back in RBY, I could just test out every possible method for evolution and then be shocked if/when my guy did or did not evolve. Fire Stone. Leaf Stone. Water Stone. Thunder Stone. Trade with friend. Level up past Level 45. And that's ... pretty much it. If the guy didn't evolve under those six circumstances, then he wasn't ever going to evolve. But since RBY, we've introduced trade evolution items (like Shiny Coat or King's Rock), we've introduced new evolution stones (like Dusk or Shiny Stones), we've introduced happiness evolution, we've introduced time-of-day evolution, we've introduced contest points evolution, we've introduced species where only one of the two genders can evolve, on and on it goes. So like, I don't want to sit there with a Level 50 Petilil on my team, not having known how to evolve it, but at the same time, I don't know if it's fair that he tell me that the Level 29 Maractus I just caught in the desert doesn't evolve. Is it? I dunno. I guess I'll have to decide come October.
  • looking up what the two fossils become. I would hate it if I picked what to me is the shit fossil and passed up what to me is the god fossil. It's not the end of the world, I realize, but still.
  • other stuff, TBD
Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
I'm gonna -try- to minimize Spoilers this time around; last time I knew nearly everything about Gen V and it ruined the experience for me somewhat. With BW2, I barely knew anything about the new content and was pleasantly surprised to find all the new stuff.

I say this but when all the news comes out I know I'll rabidly flock to it. Let's hope they trickle it unlike Gen V.
Pretty much this exactly for me.

BTW Talon, I don't think that asking your friend about one-stagers would be cheating.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
Trepie
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Trepie Send a message via MSN to Trepie
Like every game I'll try to avoid spoilers but accept that at some point between now and October, someone somewhere on the internet will spoil something for me.
Trepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I don't care if I get spoiled about Pokemon. Getting spoiled is part of their marketing plan. If the Pokemon looks bad/stupid/terrible, I'll possibly end up skipping it. If everything from that trailer is awesome and gets more awesome with each passing month, I will seriously have to consider the 3DS and Pokemon X/Y.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #13
Trepie
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Trepie Send a message via MSN to Trepie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
I don't care if I get spoiled about Pokemon. Getting spoiled is part of their marketing plan. If the Pokemon looks bad/stupid/terrible, I'll possibly end up skipping it. If everything from that trailer is awesome and gets more awesome with each passing month, I will seriously have to consider the 3DS and Pokemon X/Y.
*Le gasp* Could Loki truly return to the Pokemon genre?! Tune in to find out :p The 3DS is far from the best handheld on the market and the game selection is currently garbage. But there's a few upcoming titles that have peaked my interest. (Pokemon X&Y included)
Trepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #14
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I know. But BW and even HG felt like reiteration with the same kind of stuff happening but with slightly different Pokemon and slightly different sprites, XY looks like it's a whole new game even though it would be played the same. i.e. the whole new look for the battles, the new look of running around the overworld.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #15
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I guess I should list out my own idea of what is and is not allowed (for me; you guys do whatever! )

Allowed:
  • what's happened so far (seen the starters, know the gen is coming, know the sales date)
  • anything revealed by the anime between now and October
  • other stuff, TBD?
Not Allowed:
  • finding out the secondary types (if any) of the starters or their evos
  • seeing what the starters' evos look like
  • finding out any elements of the plot
  • finding out about new mechanics or features (like how Gen V did infini-TMs or how Gen IV did the physical/special split)
  • other stuff, TBD
  • asking a friend to check for me if so-and-so evolves and if so then how. On the one hand, I don't think it's fair if he tells me that it doesn't evolve. That should be a surprise. On the other hand, it's a bitch of an unpleasant surprise ; and I also want to, need to, know if the guy I'm raising CAN evolve but can only do so under some very specific circumstances. Back in RBY, this wasn't true. Back in RBY, I could just test out every possible method for evolution and then be shocked if/when my guy did or did not evolve. Fire Stone. Leaf Stone. Water Stone. Thunder Stone. Trade with friend. Level up past Level 45. And that's ... pretty much it. If the guy didn't evolve under those six circumstances, then he wasn't ever going to evolve. But since RBY, we've introduced trade evolution items (like Shiny Coat or King's Rock), we've introduced new evolution stones (like Dusk or Shiny Stones), we've introduced happiness evolution, we've introduced time-of-day evolution, we've introduced contest points evolution, we've introduced species where only one of the two genders can evolve, on and on it goes. So like, I don't want to sit there with a Level 50 Petilil on my team, not having known how to evolve it, but at the same time, I don't know if it's fair that he tell me that the Level 29 Maractus I just caught in the desert doesn't evolve. Is it? I dunno. I guess I'll have to decide come October.
  • looking up what the two fossils become. I would hate it if I picked what to me is the shit fossil and passed up what to me is the god fossil. It's not the end of the world, I realize, but still.
  • other stuff, TBD
I was going to see what the starter evos were going to be, and then stop the spoilers there.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Like I said, you guys do whatever. Everyone has their own idea of whether they're sitting out enough spoilers or not, what constitutes a spoiler and what constitutes fair game, etc. And I'm not even entirely sure myself on my own self-imposed rules.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #17
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I think Jeri, Elsie and I are a bit boned on the "avoiding spoilers" front if there's ever going to be SC/attack lists for gen vi. I'll probably try to avoid anything other than new mon and attacks, though, so gyms/towns/areas/evil team/plot.

I would love to be able to sit out spoilers entirely but would feel bad leaving Jeri to do the new stuff almost entirely on his own again.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #18
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
  • other stuff, TBD
In BW2, you could call Cheren and stuff and ask about your Pokemon. He would tell you if they evolve, and how. Like.. oh this Pokemon doesn't evolve. Or it evolves by level up. Or it evolves by a stone. Etc.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #19
Spikkle
Cascade Badge

Send a message via MSN to Spikkle
Not going to be able to help looking at details of the new pokes when they come out. I will be spoiled on them anyway, plus I'm genuinely interested in seeing some new bros from this gen to add to my PASBL wishlist.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the anime teases us info though, since that's what made the advent of GS so exciting as a kid.

Everything else is off the cards for now. We sure won't be having a another Pokebowl until after the game releases anyway, so I don't care about attacks, in-game locations, etc etc until I have them in my hands.

Spikkle ------ Hollo ------ Tyke ------ Kooky Monster ------ Blake ------ Rockon

PASBL Squad | Fizzy Bubbles | Winner of deo's Award for Least Intelligent Comment of All Time

Need refs for: vs. Copy (new match)

Bonus:
Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Pikachu is like me when I play tennis. If I play someone that sucks, I start to suck and lose. But if I play someone good, I play somewhat decently and still lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
"One cross referee; one wayward pinch of banned narcotic substance, one RNG... AND KABLOOIE!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
And the round starts off with both Pokemon pulling out a Monopoly Board and.. it seems to work! Relicanth starts things off by picking the Tophat. Vulpix seems to be upset, as he coveted that piece. Luckily for him he does just that! Vulpix uses Covet and gets to play with the Tophat piece. Relicanth looks quite upset by these turn of events, and decides to use the Car instead!

The round continues with Relicanth landing on Central Avenue! He decides to purchase the property.. it's super effective! Vulpix instead decides to use Imprison! Suddenly Relicanth finds himself in jail! What an exciting twist! The round ends with Relicanth unable to do anything else at the moment.

Spikkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
Emp
Volcano Badge

To each is own but I don’t think PASBL or FB members should feel any differently to this than normal players of the game since both RPGs take several months to implement the new generation. Even if I was in an administrative role making it your duty to glean over base stats and move sets kinda sounds depressing ._. This is all a bit of fun after all. Though some people find fun in spoilers so I digress.

I’m quite adamant on avoiding spoilers now as I’ve come to the realisation this is one of the main reasons I’ve not enjoyed the later gens as much. Gen I-II I was just a kid and didn’t really know how to use the internet, no less use it to find spoilers. I think this was one of the contributing factors to why I loved these gens so much. By gen III none of my friends were into Pokémon but I ended up getting Ruby as an impulse buy for my birthday, along with a load of other kids on my street who had it. I think by this point I was able to google “what level does X evolve” without delving much further than that. I don’t think I was even interested in seeing all the Pokémon available as that was part of the fun in playing the game.

I stopped playing Pokémon as I reached my teens and got back into it just as Gen IV had launched. I know I discovered Bulbapedia at the same time but I can’t remember how much I spoiled myself. I definitely didn’t look at any plot details. Even still, I loved this gen thanks to online trading/battling, chaining for shinies and just everything that made the post-game so much better than any game before it. Gen V didn’t really add anything to that, and by this point I was too busy to bother with any of the extra features. I think I had one playthrough of white and that’s it. But I think the main thing that ruined this gen for me was the fact that I knew every Pokémon’s details down to their base stats. This is the first time I’ve been in such a close-knit Pokémon community so there was a lot to miss out on if you didn’t keep up with the pre-launch media and leaks. I really want that feeling I had coming into the first 4 gens though, so this time I’m staying clear of news sites and the XY discussion thread. I know there’s bound to be a few members with avatars of new Pokémon floating around but I think I should be safe otherwise.

For the record:

Allowed
- Total number of new Pokémon. In fact, this is something I’d really like to know because I don’t want to be really picky with my squad if there’s only something like 50 new Pokémon. I can’t see how this would ruin the fun for me at all, it’s the sort of thing I’ve always known (“There’s 150 and more to see!”)
- The name of the region. Like above, this is the sort of thing you find out on the back of the game box. Really wouldn’t bother me if I found this out early.
- The names of the mascot legendaries. I already know what they look like now so it won’t really bother me knowing any more information that doesn’t give away plot details. Neither of them are my favourite legendaries, although I do really dig the bird (its griffin-like head totally suits the European region for some reason)

Not Allowed
- Any further information on starters or any of the new Pokémon.
- Elements of the plot
- New gameplay mechanics or features
- Any further information on the region (areas, cities, landmarks etc.)

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Last edited by Emp; 01-09-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
Mercutio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I think Jeri, Elsie and I are a bit boned on the "avoiding spoilers" front if there's ever going to be SC/attack lists for gen vi. I'll probably try to avoid anything other than new mon and attacks, though, so gyms/towns/areas/evil team/plot.

I would love to be able to sit out spoilers entirely but would feel bad leaving Jeri to do the new stuff almost entirely on his own again.
Outsource the work.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post

I thought Jeri was one of the people who voiced in the News thread, before I made this poll, that he would be trying to avoid spoilers. So either he forgot about ASB or else you overestimate the league's insistence on having Gen 6 Pokémon and attacks available out of the gate.

A friendly suggestion for you guys in the ASB staff, if I may: have your Gen 6 party thirty days after the release of Gen 6. Why? One, you guys want to be playing the games in your limited free time anyway, don't you? Having to do the rules stuff in October would make ASB duties feel less like play and more like chores taking you away from fun play. Two, thirty days is plenty of time to beat the game and then make the league updates. Three, thirty days is not so long that sensible people are going to flip their shit that they can't use Gen 6 mon yet. And fuck insensible people.

There's no reason other than self-imposed reasons why you staff should have to ruin your once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be wowed by this game. Relive your childhood. Allow yourself to be wowed. And thank your friends and peers for their patience and understanding whilst they wait.

And then party hard in November.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #23
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
- The names of the mascot legendaries. I already know what they look like now so it won’t really bother me knowing any more information that doesn’t give away plot details. Neither of them are my favourite legendaries, although I do really dig the bird (its griffin-like head totally suits the European region for some reason)

The names of the box legendaries have been confirmed. That's all I'll say, as I imagine I'm breaking someone's rules saying that.

As for myself. I think I'm going to try figuring the game out for myself this time around. I'm torn about how much I want to know about the new Pokemon and new moves introduced.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
>Talon

Looking back on gen v, it looks like the attack descriptions (not spoilery at all and really quite fun to work on) was the only thing done in advance so it'll probably end up being the same this time. A few weeks/month won't make any difference.

EDIT the first: Last time around I think the first "can I has B/W pokemon" question was asked in september 2010 - six months before English release. I will castrate anyone who does the same this time.

Last edited by Concept; 01-09-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I wouldn't want to know new attacks in advance. ^^; I want the same awe I experienced when Jasmine's Steelix used Iron Tail. Or when I discovered that HOLY SHIT Bug got a 120 power move and a good one at that. I want to go into a gym fight and be so amazed by the gym leader's signature move. I want to tear off the gift wrapping from every TM I get with the same voraciousness of a child on Christmas Day eager to find out what's inside.

If for you it's fun to spoil yourself on moves though, then cool for you and bueno for the ASB. You could even be helping your fellow staff members out if they feel the same way I do and don't want to work on the Attackdex before beating Story Mode.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON