UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 09-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Charizard Pokemon Fire Red Expanded

Think GameFreak is on crack? Probably. But soon, you'll think the same of MEEEEEEEE!

Since I got the tools I'd been looking for but didn't know where to find (thanks, big), I decided to just try it out. Edits have been made, some that make a lot of sense (the obligatory Masquerain change to Bug/Water, obvious Butterfree edit), some that make moderate sense (Anorith gets Surf and Dive now), and some that are just pure randomness and wish fulfillment (Levitating Metapod).

Most every Pokemon has some changes. Some ideas came from old TO marathoning, some just popped into my head. Typing changes, movepool changes, and changes to the moves themselves, as well as some evolution method changes and stat changes are all to be expected. Abilities have been changed around every which way, and you'll never know what to expect with some of the Pokemon. What you can expect, however, is:

- Every Pokemon (excluding legendaries) is to be found in the game.
- A few very slight map edits because just beginning to test them out. Hopefully, later betas will have better edits.
- A few "theme" areas. Some places, I have made it where one type is all that can be found there, or at least the vast majority of the time. One area is full of Fire-types. Another, birds rule the roost. Hoping to get that expanded later on.
- Changes in some way, shape, or form, to most Pokemon. You'll never know what you'll get until you look.
- Move changes. Horn Drill's a high-power low-accuracy Ground type move, Twister's a more powerful Flying type move. I took a leaf from big and went with Ice-typed waterfall, because so many water HMs make me a sad panda. Razor Wind is now Flying, and some sort of WindyThing. Forretress appreciates that in is movepool. Some HMs are better now, like Flash being semi-useful early stages, and Cut is a Bug move.

I'm working on some more extra stuff, but I have a beta right now. I'm playing it right now, but here's the question:

Before I release this here, I want to make sure it's good. Would there be any people who have the free time/interest enough to want to beta test this? If I made any fundamental errors, I want to know (and not risk [semi]public embarrassment).

This has been a message from the Kairne Public Alert System.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Charminions
Your reality is mine

You should make a dungeon add-on with UPN trainers because big won't do it.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
I'll give it a go if I can request changes :p
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Slash
Silver LO

Of course, LC. That's a part of why I was asking for beta testers in the first place.

First Public Beta is here.

Some warnings, though:

- Cerulean's Pokemart has been a mite glitchy. It should hopefully be fixed now, but be careful about it.
- Internal battery crap, so you'll probably have to use save states.
- I'm really new at this, so it might suck.

Also, you'll need to input this GS code to unlock the National Pokedex, because if you don't, all those fabulous Jhoto and Hoenn Pokemon can't evolve.
Spoiler: show
3202461F00B9

I've been running through it, seeing what things need fixing, so I can fix them. I've toyed around a bit, and I need to toy around a lot more, but hopefully what I have will work okay. I need to take a few lessons in scripting (so if anyone knows where I can find a nice resource for that, please tell me), and if I learn hopefully I can make some new levels, spread things out more, maybe I can create things like the UPNDungeon and even areas for legendaries, to really complete it all.

May the odds be ever in your favour.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Last edited by Slash; 09-19-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I don't really agree with ice-type waterfall (Climbing a Waterfall is icy? Okay then.), but I see why you did it.

Other than that, I love this. Looking at your list of ideas, you've used some of the things I've come up with before, but never had the time to do- Count me one of your beta testers.

EDIT: Okay, I have a problem right out of the gate. Your link seems to only go to the MediaFire main page. ._.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.

Last edited by Kindrindra; 09-19-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

I will beta test for you too. I need something to do after I beat my fixed emerald

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Slash
Silver LO

I bumped up a lot of BSTs up, and part of it actually took a cue from you, kind, due to your previous hack ideas. A lot of cool ideas piled up in TO25, and I ran with some of them. Although I'm a little less stingy with Firefly Light (although I understand why you are).

EDIT: As a note, in lieu of doing the extremely cliche Bug/Dragon Flygon, I went with Ground/Bug, because that also makes a lot of sense. Although if there's enough of a movement for it, I might change it to Bug/Dragon and/or give Yanma that distinction. And I fixed the link.

Last edited by Slash; 09-19-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I, for one, am in support of Bug/Dragon Yamna.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Can you give sableye a better ability?

Old 09-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Sneaze
Mrow?

Can you give Sableye Wonder Guard?

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
Slash
Silver LO

I gave him Compoundeyes.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

I approve

Old 09-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
Think GameFreak is on crack? Probably. But soon, you'll think the same of MEEEEEEEE!
Come on, Kairne, it's time to go back to the place with those nice young men in those clean white coats...

Quote:
- A few "theme" areas. Some places, I have made it where one type is all that can be found there, or at least the vast majority of the time. One area is full of Fire-types. Another, birds rule the roost. Hoping to get that expanded later on.
After we beat E4, you have GOT to have one Boss UPN Trainer Time (BUTT) for each area.

i.e. Daisy gets Flying, Stu gets Bug, TDos gets Rock, Mozz gets That Place With All The Wobbuffets And Small Vulnerable Innocent Little Girls, I would probably spring for Psychic because Bug and Rock are taken, etc. As game's creator, of course, you get total jurisdiction over who appears where and might even place more than one person in each area.

- Move changes. Horn Drill's a high-power low-accuracy Ground type move, Twister's a more powerful Flying type move.

Quote:
- Some HMs are better now, like Flash being semi-useful early stages, and Cut is a Bug move.
If you can, I'd totally change Flash to a damaging Steel-typed or Electric-typed move that also lowers accuracy. Give it 70 base power and you've got a viable move; make every cave Super Dark and you've got a good use for it.

Quote:
Before I release this here, I want to make sure it's good. Would there be any people who have the free time/interest enough to want to beta test this? If I made any fundamental errors, I want to know (and not risk [semi]public embarrassment).
I have downloaded the BETA and will be searching for great areas to put BUTTs.

Probably make [semi]snarky suggestions-that-are-criticisms throughout the entire thing but surely it'll be helpful
Old 09-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
Slash
Silver LO

I think I made Flash Electric, base 50 or so power, and can lower accuracy.

I would totally love to change the gym leaders around.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
So, I went to get Oak's parcel at the beginning of the game and after I left the Pokemart I would get a "Repel has run out" message every time I stepped. Anyone else encounter this?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
Slash
Silver LO

Turn off the code for the nat dex.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
I think I made Flash Electric, base 50 or so power, and can lower accuracy.

I would totally love to change the gym leaders around.
Ooh, that's a tough one. It all depends if you're willing to go the extra mile and make all the gyms' puzzles harder...and different...or if you're going to leave them as is. In which case you'd have to go by type.

Brock - Rock
Misty - Water
Lt. Surge - Electric/Godawful Trash Cans
Erika - Grass
Koga - Poison/Invisible Walls
Sabrina - Psychic
Blaine - Fire/Questions
Giovanni - Ground?/Evil

Depending on who you want filling each position, base it off the puzzle in each Gym. For instance, you can easily make Giovanni do Steel or Dark (absoool), but you have to keep Sabrina Psychic because of the teleporter pads. Brock and Misty, too, are pretty much a given.

But I'd love it a whole bunch if you would shuffle the puzzles around and had free reign to manipulate the procession of Gym Leaders. Every Gym puzzle that isn't run by Sabrina or Giovanni is ridiculously easy. Lt. Surge's and Koga's make you rage. Make 'em tricky.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #18
Slash
Silver LO

Sabrina's is ridiculously easy.

Also, I can edit the gym's look, and with some scripting knowledge, even change some events. And Sabrina's could fit Ghosts, too, with phasing.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #19
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

The only gym I disliked was surge's. and if you learn how to script would you help with my hack?

Old 09-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #20
Slash
Silver LO

Okay, so some ideas I'm working on for the next beta:

- Physical/special split (I think Kind might know where I can get the patch for that, although not 100% sure it will be implemented)

- Move Tutor Edits ( maybe some better MT moves?)
- Egg Move edits (Wooper w/ Recover, Remoraid w/ Mud Shot, Phanpy w/ Water Gun, and maybe including some NYPC/Purification/other event moves as well. Also, randomness, because randomness)
- Gym Edits (I found a tool that seems great at Trainer editing, looking into it)
- Text edits to make the previous changes more seamless

Other edits I will look into (if I can learn how to do them):

- Legendary Dungeons (may or may not be every legendary. I am planning layouts for the Regi rooms already)
- A UPN Trainer Dungeon (I may just replace the Trainer Tower with it)
- TM changes (want the Punches back? Me, too)
- Getting the Running shoes early instead of after Pewter
- a Mt. Moon Jirachi event

EDIT: Also, I may change around just a couple of the damage modifiers, like making Steel weak to Electric or Water weak to Ice, but not sure yet. Bugs should probably be weak to Poison, even if it screws them over.

Last edited by Slash; 09-20-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #21
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

[QUOTE=Kairne;385678][COLOR=SlateGray]Okay, so some ideas I'm working on for the next beta:

Quote:
- Physical/special split (I think Kind might know where I can get the patch for that, although not 100% sure it will be implemented)
If you can do this that would be amaznig.
Quote:
Bugs should probably be weak to Poison, even if it screws them over.
This is how it was in Red/Blue/Yellow and it wasn't a good idea there. If you're going to go that route you're going to have to make Psychic immune to Ghost, too (why do you think they introduced 2 new types in GSC, both of which were resistant to Psychic?).

If you're going to be shuffling around type advantages you're going to have to do it in the true Game Freak on-crack style ok?
Old 09-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #22
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Maybe you could make egg moves tutor moves or lv.1 moves?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #23
Slash
Silver LO

I was up all night adjusting movesets and such. Egg Moves and some new Tutor moves are a go (meaning, they'll be there in my next version). However, I have not yet edited the NPCs' text regarding the changed moves. As well, the flavour text will be the same on the altered moves as if they hadn't been altered, but the effects might be different. However, changes in accuracy, power, type, and PP are still apparent.

I'm not going to spoil all my secrets, but I will say that you'll want to look at every Pokemon at some point. Abilities have mass changes, as do typings.

And just wait until you get ahold of the mighty Dunsparce.

I will clue you guys in on a couple of the Tutor edits I made, although I'm not going to spill it all. Mimic was replaced by something a little more flashy to lighten the mood of everyone who cries out in rage for getting a move that is generally so useless. As well, the Tutor in Silph now teaches a move even more shocking than before. One more clue. Some dreams aren't eaten, even if they're not bad ones.

Oh, look at the time. I must be off, to do... that one thing.

I might have the next beta up tonight (yank time), but almost certainly by weekend.

All hail the most mighty Magikarp.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #24
Slash
Silver LO

You know, I really should feel bad about doubleposting, but I don't.

Because I got the next beta done. Fixed a couple things. Remember that you need the GS code for the Nat Dex still (although I'm looking into a fix for that).

Get it here.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #25
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Can you send me a link to the physical/ special patch if you find it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON