UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 11:31 PM   #26
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: Things that piss you off

I see what you mean. You were polite, but they've mistaken your politeness for possible interest in the Church and/or gullibility. I've had the same problem for years with a good friend who was raised very strongly Christian; as a kid, he'd now and again say things like, "I'm sure one day you'll come to believe"; and then as we got older, he pushed a little harder (e.g. buying me a Bible for a birthday present); and then as we got older, he pushed a little harder (e.g. calling me three times in a 3-day window to come to a Christian dinner event where they read a chapter from the Bible and discuss it for 2 hours during and after dinner). He eventually quit pushing altogether and hasn't talked to me in a while, though that's more to do with life throwing him a few curve balls (like finding out some of his closest friends are outright atheists, having to change schools because he couldn't cut it academically, etc.). Still, I wouldn't say my friend has ever pissed me off with his "pushing" so much as annoyed me. I guess it's a subtle difference? "Pissed off" makes it sound like you're angry at the person; I was more frustrated than angry.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:55 AM   #27
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I've known a good number of Mormons throughout my life now, and I can honestly say that apart from being offered a copy of the Book of Mormon maybe twice, they never tried to push their religion on me in any way. I don't really find their beliefs too much more outlandish than the standard Christian line, and they certainly aren't as pushy as the bible thumpers I've been dealing with for as long as I can remember. And they don't even complain about evolution being taught in schools.

Side note: Every religion has their door to door people, and they are all trained to push and push and push to at least get a foot in the door. Getting people to change religions is a tricky job, and you have to go for it completely or you won't have a shot.

Anyways. Mormons are near the bottom of my list of "Religions that are destroying the world" so I try not to hit them with too much hate.

For a free copy of my "List of Religions that are destroying the world", I'll be by your door soon.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:02 AM   #28
Hanatori2
Pokemon Trainer

Eh, not a lot of stuff really gets to me that much, but I'll give this list a whirl:

1. The idea that Japanese manga/anime/music are automatically superior to everything else because they're from Japan. Those people are the reason why I'm ashamed to like anime/manga/Japanese music as much as I do.

2. The "If you don't watch ________, you're an idiot" people. That really just makes me want to avoid the show in question, and about nine times out of ten, it's something that I actually do want to see. If it's a show I'm already watching, it makes me very ashamed to be a fan of the show.

...Eh, I may as well just say elitism as a whole makes me angry.

3. When people spray too much perfume, especially in a closed room. I have allergies, along with many other people, and they're only going to get worse when I smell the overpowering scent of Eau du Skunk or whatever the hell they're spraying in the locker room. Even when it doesn't cause me to sneeze my brains out, it's irritating for my nose and eyes. Amusingly enough, this mostly happens at school, and I'm pretty sure there's a rule against spraying perfume in school...

4. The comments section on YouTube videos... sometimes.

More to come, if I think of anything else.

Edit: Birtha, after looking at your posts on the anime/cartoon matter, I'm curious about what you think about the argument that anime are cartoons. I can't help but remember a member on UPN from a couple of years ago - Mootwo was his name, I think? - that would have a field day with that.
There you have Ochi"

tungsten
Hanatori2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #29
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Well, I have to admit that Mormons don't bother me as much as the others, but I ONLY listed Mormons because I thought they were the only ones safe to list(since Namek and Ixclude listed them). I figured if I listed some of my others, everyone might get all pissy at me. I do respect the Mormon people who visited my house a bit, because I live in Redneck Christian Hell. I'm sure they were torn to bits by the other people in my area for not being Christian. Because of that, I was extremely patient with them, but after refusing to accept "No" after sending like 4 different people, I got annoyed. After that, I just lied and told them I would read a Mormon bible that we already had. I haven't heard from them since.

EDIT: I removed the spoiler box. This REALLY should not bother anyone. If so, then you are a ****ing douche.

61.Sereotypical Islamic people- I said STEREOTYPICAL for a reason. I'm not talking about regular believers that it mostly consists of. I'm talking about the actual terrorist bastards that everyone seems to see every one of them as. The people are the reason that the whole religion has a bad name and they themselves just piss me off. Mass murdering people daily is really not necessary.
62.Bigot Christians- I really hate these people. I am surrounded by them, and the simple fact that I am an atheist is just enough reason for all of them that know about me to look down on me. I have tried to show them another way of looking at this instead of "I am a Christian, and you are going to burn and die if you are NOT." However, every attempt failed. After a little bit, I got extremely pissed and said "I gurantee that I am a better ****ing person than all of you. I don't look down on you because you are Christians, and I know that every ****ing one of you are sex obsessed potheads, but you just use the name Christian to make yourself all high and mighty! The reason I am atheist is because if there was a god, he would never let human scum like you exist!!!" Because of this, my only buddies fit in the rare category of "Not Christian" or "Not close enough friend to know about me being an atheist". One is a Wicken, the other is a Niyalist(spelling?) and the others simply don't know about me(I try to hide it from as many people as possible).
63. I mentioned this in old UPN. That's all I am saying.

EDIT: Hanatori. I am well aware that anime are pretty much cartoons. People around me call anime cartoons all of the time, and I don't get pissy. I did not call it "American animation" because "cartoon" is shorter. Also, just to clear up any confusion about my general opinion on this... I merely perfer anime to cartoons (still using the shortening) and I am well aware that not all cartoons are trash. There's Aqua Teen Hungerforce, Family Guy (before season four), The Simpsons, Metalocalypse, Perfect Hair Forever (this is poking fun at anime, but this is still great) and alot more. The only cartoons I have ever liked were comedies. Cartoons have never brought me to tears, or had me pumped up in excitement. Anime frequently does this, and it has also left me suffocating in laughter. I think I should've said this earlier, so I didn't look like a dick.

Cartoon-Fine Arts. a full-scale design for a picture, ornamental motif or pattern, or the like, to be transferred to a fresco, tapestry, etc.
As you can see, anime also fits into this category. Incase you wanna challenge what I said, remember that dictionary.com is never wrong.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #30
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wiccan and Nihilist, huh? You're in the nerd group or the emo group. No idea which. (All the Wiccans and Nihilists in my school were emo, but you don't strike me as emo, so ...)

Nihilism is a Latin word meaning "the belief in nothing." A nihilist basically throws up his hands and says, "Fuck. " That's my take on serious nihilists, anyway. (Hence "annihilation" is the complete obliteration of something, i.e. destroying something so thoroughly it becomes nothing.)

Stereotypical Muslims that (as you said) far too many Westerners mistake for the real, genuine Muslims do suck, as they do give Islam a bad name. As far as I'm concerned, real Islam isn't any worse than real Christianity and (frankly) is slightly more sensible since it doesn't make the outlandishly paradoxical claim of "there can only be one perfect being, which is why Lucifer failed ................ but ............. Jesus and God are both perfect beings." Christianity tries to resolve this pseudointellectually (imo) by saying, "They are two and they are one. They are the same and they are different. They are the Son and the Father, and they are also the One Almighty." Islam takes a more realistic approach and says, "Look, guys. Jesus was cool and all, and he's the real deal, and yes, God did give him a pretty nifty power ... but he's not the son of God. Because there can only be one God. Legendaries don't breed. :P"

Bigoted Christians also suck. Although in my town, it wasn't so much "bigoted" as it was generally hypocritical. All the self-proclaimed "Christians" were the kids who broke the law, did drugs, drank alcohol, had premarital sex, had abortions, etc. etc. One of the biggest biblethumpers in my grade, and the choir boy for his church, was a real jerk to me and my friends and then got himself into a car wreck which damaged his brain to a permanent level of 3rd-grade intelligence. a.k.a. he became retarded from a car wreck he got himself into. How? He was speeding over 100 mph down a country road in our town at 2 in the morning with an illegal blood alcohol level (for a legal adult), never mind that he was only 15 and therefore one year too young to be driving and six years too young to be drinking. And he crashed into a tree. A farmer heard the noise, which he described as "an explosion", and rushed out from his farm across his acres of land to the county road, where he found the car, all crumpled up and wrapping around the tree. And the boy, mashed up inside the car. The farmer pulled him and saved his life -- minutes later, the car's gas tank ignited.

All the kids in classes the two of us had had in common were all weepy and wanted me to feel sorry for the guy. When they saw that I wasn't deeply remorseful, and was just generically "sorry for any sort of tragedy" (I wouldn't wish retardation upon my worst enemy, but still, this guy was a douche who got himself into trouble; he wasn't the victim of anything, he had a good life and loving family) ... anyway, when they saw that I wasn't crying and shit, his best friend threatened to beat me up. Again with the "model Christian" bullshit. So I got angry and basically said that the guy was a big phony Christian and everybody else was being phony for saying "he didn't deserve this, how could this have happened? " because if anybody deserved it, it would be him. I said, "You guys are asking God to come and save him and return him to a normal life; but how do you know that it was part of God's plan to smite this false Christian and to knock some sense into the rest of you?" They were pretty horrified by that, but I stand by it to this day. If God is real, I don't doubt that he would "hate" false Christians if it was within his power to hate his beloved children. False Christians make me fucking sick. They are the real-world equivalent of "a wolf in sheep's clothing." "I raped a girl, but I'm going to Heaven because I've been baptized and I asked God for forgiveness. You're a great kid, but you don't believe in God, so you're going to burn in Hell." Fuck you.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:47 PM   #31
Hanatori2
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha
EDIT: Hanatori. I am well aware that anime are pretty much cartoons. People around me call anime cartoons all of the time, and I don't get pissy. I did not call it "American animation" because "cartoon" is shorter. Also, just to clear up any confusion about my general opinion on this... I merely perfer anime to cartoons (still using the shortening) and I am well aware that not all cartoons are trash. There's Aqua Teen Hungerforce, Family Guy (before season four), The Simpsons, Metalocalypse, Perfect Hair Forever (this is poking fun at anime, but this is still great) and alot more. The only cartoons I have ever liked were comedies. Cartoons have never brought me to tears, or had me pumped up in excitement. Anime frequently does this, and it has also left me suffocating in laughter. I think I should've said this earlier, so I didn't look like a dick.

Cartoon-Fine Arts. a full-scale design for a picture, ornamental motif or pattern, or the like, to be transferred to a fresco, tapestry, etc.
As you can see, anime also fits into this category. Incase you wanna challenge what I said, remember that dictionary.com is never wrong.
Fair enough. I just wanted some clarification on your point, and you gave me what I asked for.
There you have Ochi"

tungsten
Hanatori2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:17 AM   #32
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Even like the Lion King or Bambi or something, triple B?

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Another Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:56 AM   #33
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'm assuming you are talking about the whole "tearing up" thing. If so, then no. The last time I watched either, I was a child, and a character getting killed in something would do nothing to me (I was pretty heartless as a child)

Also, I don't really belong in a particular group. The Wiccan is this hardcore nerd, while the Nihilist is this heavy metal pothead, whom is also addicted to WOW (his name is Poonja =O).
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #34
quilava plush
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to quilava plush Send a message via MSN to quilava plush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87
False Christians make me fucking sick. They are the real-world equivalent of "a wolf in sheep's clothing." "I raped a girl, but I'm going to Heaven because I've been baptized and I asked God for forgiveness. You're a great kid, but you don't believe in God, so you're going to burn in Hell." Fuck you.
I normally don't visit Pokemon forums to read miscellaneous threads, much less to discuss/debate religion, but as a Christian myself* (albeit non-fluffy and I look at it from a different perspective than most other practitioners), I have to agree wholeheartedly. =| Part of forgiveness (in my POV) is self-discipline, and chances are if you don't give a damn of remorse for your rape crime you're not staying in the "saved pool" (I'd go on about how I hate the term "saved", but that's a whole other ballpark), and if there is a hell, only God could say who is and who isn't going. I'm sure He doesn't like people putting words in his mouth (and doing a crappy job at it), especially when they haven't even followed the most basic of Jesus's teachings.

Granted, I can never claim to know how the theoretical Big Guy works his ways, and I'm a mere human and can't pretend that I'm a "model Christian" myself - but I just leave it at that. No telling people they're going to hell because of their lifestyle or personal beliefs. (I'm not perfect, and I have my own odd quirks, too!) No forcing my beliefs on others, because I view spirituality as a personal relationship between a person and their god(s). (I normally don't even announce my beliefs to the internets because I view my faith as a personal thing and leave it there.)

I've probably strayed waaay off topic, but there's two cents from an alternative perspective. *floats back to the D/P board*

*This isn't going flag me as a lolcow/flamebait, is it? =_=
Old 05-15-2007, 10:58 PM   #35
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"lolcow", never heard that one before ... sounds like something a sexually-frustrated male would say to a girl on 4chan who he's trying to make fun of. "You stupid lolcow ... I'd hit it. ._."

Neh, we've all probably seen or heard too many religious debates. I think we can all agree (theist and atheist alike) that the world needs more people like you, though. There are far, FAR too many fakers and "bossy boots," as my mom would put it.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #36
SulcataIxlude
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to SulcataIxlude Send a message via MSN to SulcataIxlude Send a message via Yahoo to SulcataIxlude

The reason why I put mormons on the list of things that piss me off, is because most mormons in my region of the states are the type that are 'aggressive' with making their faith look like it's the shit. :P My high school had a seminar building where all the mormons go to for religious studies, and they act like they are so much better than everyone else thinking all non mormons are inferior savages. :P Also whenever I encounter mormon 'enlisters' they get kinda pissy if you don't take time to listen to them blab about their faith, and even try to shove tons of pamplets about their church and whatever in your door/mailbox on their way out.

Plus I've had some bad encounters with a few mormons, but I won't go into detail about that now. I am not saying all mormons are a bunch of latter day saint fanatics that impose their mutated views on christianity on everyone (westboro baptist church already does this amongst most baptist and evangelical groups of christians), but due to some negative experiences with the mormons in my region of the states my view on them is kinda iffy on them. In fact christians in general in southeastern washington are not exactly my most favorite people, but thats just in that part of the world. I have no problems with other christians for the most part (except for most evangelists, baptists, racists that use christianity as a devious tool for their plans, and groups like westboro baptist church) and when I went to a Indonesian catholic church with my gf I was surprized by the lack of 'holier than thou' attitude that I see in most christians in my part of the usa.

Not to mention Indonesian muslims are some of the most easy going people I've ever gotten to hang out with (most of my friends in Indonesia are either protestant or muslim indos. :P) Most american muslims in my region of the usa seem to avoid ya, pretend to 'not speak english', or just speak with you briefly then go back to their business. Moral of the story: SI region of the USA makes religious fanatics even nastier and more bigoted than all others in the pacific northwest.
SulcataIxlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:47 AM   #37
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Sylar Send a message via MSN to Sylar

The one thing that pisses me off the most in the world is...

...getting a burger from McDonalds, peeling the gherkin off the top of the cheese, then taking a bite, only to realise some bastard's put another one under the cheese. ><

Edit: Oh yeah, and people who treat their own opinions as fact. Which I've seen in this thread a couple of times already. >>

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc