UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 09-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Jirachi You Must Contruct Additional Pylons!

Anyone else playing Starcraft 2?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

What are you, Korean?

Oh wait.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

@Jeri: Oh wait nothing: Chinese are Korean about as much as Americans are Mexican.

@Loki: Nope. Holding out for an eventual "3-in-1" package in 2012 or so. Not a big RTS fan in the first place, so I can afford to wait. But how do you like it so far?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Name: Mcsweeney
Code: 299

Hit me up!

Talon: I like it a lot, even though the game is not revolutionary or anything at all. It's just a really, really improved Starcraft 1. The single player story is disappointingly mediocre, but the gameplay is fun.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
Talon: I like it a lot, even though the game is not revolutionary or anything at all. It's just a really, really improved Starcraft 1. The single player story is disappointingly mediocre, but the gameplay is fun.
Figured as much.

But the fans are dumber now than they used to be, so I'm unsurprised.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 09-12-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:31 AM   #6
Loki

I think the game was balanced out much better. With the resource collection slowed down and base expansion more plentiful, it makes for some nice games. Not necessarily drawn out games, but definitely better games.

Also, it is now possible to more easily manage games with your friends. I used to never do league matches in old Starcraft because it was so random. Now I find myself getting cell phone calls at strange times of the day asking if I'm on Starcraft 2 and if not, when I will be. lol.

Thanks to the new marvels of the internet since 1998, there is fast internet and voice chat programs like Skype (the in-game voice chat sucks) which makes everything easier to communicate in real time. I used to hate typing out "Help" and by the time it got through, I would be completely obliterated.

The game story is only 1/3rd done, so I can't judge the overall yet, but yeah, so far it is kind of mediocre. Very predictable ending. I was hoping Raynor's choices would let you change it, but not at all. :/ Then again, if my alternate ending happened, the next expansion would never happen lol.

Anyway McSweeney, I sent you a friend invite. Your record is much, much better than mine. :x
Old 09-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Shoot, I don't see any friend request! What's your info? Maybe we both have to do it.

I need to get my Starcraft II time in now, because once Civilization V comes out you may never see me again!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 09-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Loki

Name: KoalaOhmNom
Code: 266

I don't think it works as a request, I just show up on your friends list.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Every person on my friends list played this game for one week and then quit forever. What's the story? Me, I'm not going to quit until I make the Diamond League!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 09-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The people I know through Facebook who have bitched about StarCraft 2 have bemoaned the plethora of super-good Korean players and the absence of decent American players. I think what it boils down to is, they feel like they're playing Tic Tac Toe against Americans, so it's not fun for them because it's too easy/random to determine who wins; and they feel like they're playing chess against a Russian grand master when they play the Koreans, which is also not fun.

It may seem silly to say of a video game, but it really does seem like the attitude one must assume towards StarCraft is the same attitude one must assume towards games like chess and Go. You don't get good without putting in a LOT of manhours, and even if you do put in those manhours there's still no guarantee that you'll ever get to be as good as you wish to be. I think a lot of players realize this and they subsequently abandon the game.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
McSweeney
Soul Badge

The Koreans really are insane, but far from discouraging me, it inspires me to play that well.

Witness this fellow Tester aka oGssSKS (the blue Protoss) hold off a huge marine/bunker rush with nothing but a few sentries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqktgFBcsJk#t=5m06s

To attain that kind of strength ...

The really scary thing is that the truly godly Koreans, the so called S-ranked players (Flash, Jaedong) are still playing Starcraft 1 and haven't switched over yet.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 09-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
Loki

I was playing with a friend in 2v2s and after a chain of losses (like 3), he kept bitching and whining and I got fed up with him. I'll probably play a bit again in a couple of weeks.

Also, Dead Rising 2.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #13
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
The really scary thing is that the truly godly Koreans, the so called S-ranked players (Flash, Jaedong) are still playing Starcraft 1 and haven't switched over yet.
Being a 9-dan in Shogi doesn't automatically make one a Chess grandmaster. It's a different game, what they bring to the table is potential (dedication and dexterity) to excel.

Anyway, what's Boxer doing these days? Is he retired yet?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #14
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Oh yeah, Boxer is of course a legend, and the most famous Starcraft player of all time, but he's washed up now. I guess he joined the air force and didn't have as much time to play anymore, and/or burned out. It would be cool if he tried to make a comeback in Starcraft 2.

I get what you're saying about how a great player of one game wouldn't necessarily make him the best at another game, but there are so many similarities between SC1 and SC2 that a lot of their skills would be transferrable. Of course, it would take them several months of training to get their mechanics correct, but given enough time I'm pretty sure they'd have no problems reaching the top.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 09-30-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Some more thoughts on the fall of Boxer.

He was most famous for his creativity. He revolutionized Starcraft with an unusual new playing style. For instance, vultures were once universally considered to be a useless unit, no one ever built them ... until Boxer came along and displayed astonishing usage of spider mines. A litany of other things too, like making enemy siege tanks shoot each other by doing crazy dropship micro. Because Boxer did so much to popularize Starcraft in Korea, it's likely that there were players with better mechanics than him all along, and just needed to be exposed to his groundbreaking new strategies in order to surpass him.

While Boxer was noted for his unorthodox strategies, the current undisputed champion of Starcraft, Flash, on the other hand, is known for playing Terran "the way it was meant to be played". His mechanics are perfect, his APM (actions per minutes) are insane, and, simply put, Boxer is no match for him ... not even in his prime.

Anyway, Starcraft lore is very interesting. I really enjoy reading about high level players in games that I play, be it Starcraft or Go or whatever, even if I'm not that good myself. I guess that's what seperates me from Talon's Facebook friends.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 10-01-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #16
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Any videos of this Flash guy? I saw a competition between a Korean and some guy referred to only as "The Russian", it was sort of funny to see the Koreans floored/devastated at seeing a Korean lose to a non-East Asian.

As for commentary, I'm sort of a mix between Talon's Facebook friends and your own philosophy. On Billy vs. SNAKEMAN, I am one of if not the best mahjong player there, so there's a sort of envy that riles up in me when I lose a game, while someone else boasts of a win. But at the same time I do like reviewing games played by other players, even those ranked more highly than I am on Tenhou. Perhaps it's because I'm less invested in Tenhou now, and more in BVS?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-04-2010, 04:21 AM   #17
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Oh yeah, me too. I'm fanatically competitive and always want to win any given game I'm playing, but I'm talking about the very top players, people with a level of skill I can never reach. With them I can look on in awe ... just as long as they aren't playing me!

Quote:
Any videos of this Flash guy?
Here's him playing Jaedong in the last semifinal of the World Cyber Games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISAMB...bedded#t=2m50s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBnNU...layer_embedded

But more importantly than that ... Boxer has just been spotted playing Starcraft 2!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_RCB...layer_embedded

Watching that game made me feel the same as when Akagi made his first appearance in Ten. You know he's old and past his prime, but damn it, it's still amazing watching the legend kick some ass.

Yes, 30 years old is considered ANCIENT by professional gaming standards. How depressing!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 10-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #18
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I haven't watched the Boxer video, but I'm half-way through the Jaedong v. Flash one...and given Jaedong's expansion and insane Muta-micro, I thought he had this in the bag.

Yet Flash warded him off...then WOW.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #19
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Flash actually isn't that exciting to watch, because his style isn't flashy (lol). He's just extremely sound defensively and never makes mistakes. It's like the old saying in sports goes: "Defense wins championships". Boxer, by contrast, often makes spectacular drops and multi pronged assaults.

I remember about 10 years ago when I fancied myself as being really good at Starcraft, and that I was destined for the top of the ladder. Then I watched a video of Boxer for the first time. It's like I was Krillin watching Goku fight!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 10-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"Yeah, I'm good for FORTY-TWO actions a minute. How many can you do? " - a young Mcsweeney
Old 10-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #21
Loki

I've been watching a lot of replays lately. I totally see why those Koreans are definitely better at the micromanaging when they hotkey everything including first Overlord scout and such. I need more practice, then maybe I can stay in Platinum League :x
Old 10-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #22
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

http://www.mediafire.com/?gqxqzsoptev984g

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #23
Loki

Your opponents were pretty dumb, but yeah Ultralisk spam for the win! If those Terrans built their Command Center and lifted them off to those resources, you probably would have had a much harder time.

Small tip- You should make more Queens since you like your Ultralisks so much. They do well in multiples because of Transfusion to keep Ultras alive and trading Transfusion between Queens can help with base defenses against those air units that you have trouble against. Also, more creep expansion is always good for Zerg, even if it doesn't go across the whole map.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #24
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

For McSweeney

http://www.mediafire.com/?70i9niiprdo0y5o

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #25
McSweeney
Soul Badge

For anyone else watching, that was a horrendously laggy 4 vs 4 game, against a bunch of trash talking little pricks, where one of our allies got rushed and taken out early. They came for Kuno next, who did a heroic last stand and defeated wave after wave of troops, allowing me to tech up to colossus (at one point they got his hatchery down to HALF A RED HIT POINT OMG but we showed up just in time).

Then some other stuff happened, we got invaded by a giant army of marines and our two allies quit out of despair ... but Kuno and I decided to FIGHT ON. He made mutalisks and did a complete contain, stopping any mining activity whatsoever. I made high templars and basically killed their entire army, two of their players quit because they couldn't take anymore rockin', and we prepared to move in to the final battle together ... then I lagged out of the game.

It seemed like they had a good chance to win when I dropped out of the game ... until 14 ultralisks simultaneously popped out of Kuno's hatcheries. The victory was all the more sweeter because our opponents were such monstrous douches.

Anyway, I hereby dub thee PRO. I have a lot of exciting games with you!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games