UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 01-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Lucario Decline of instant messaging.

Wow, this skin really is bad, I cannot even read the title I was typing for this until I had already finished. >>;

Onto the topic. I met two of my juniors at my former college a few days ago and proposed they give me their AIM contact info so we could keep in touch. Neither actually knew what AIM was.

This shocked me. Ever since something big happened in 2005, with people addicted to social networking sites, older modes of communication have gone by the wayside.

I'd imagine people who were adapted to the 'net before 2005 would have had AIM, and maybe people after that might not have one, but they should have at least heard of it. I mean, I've heard of Usenet, even if I've never actually used it.

Why is this? Perhaps a lot of people who never even used the internet started using it in 2005 simply for the social networking aspects, plus the attractive internet subcultures (SomethingAwful, YouTube, Colbert Nation, etc.)? It's so bizarre.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
deoxys
Fog Badge

I stopped using AIM a few years ago; Just got bored of it, didn't hardly use it or talk to anyone, and anyone I'd wanna talk to I could just text message. So that's my perspective of it, and I'm sure many probably share the same story.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 01-08-2010 at 02:05 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I still use aim because it is awesome. I avoid social networking sites because they have a creepy stalker touch when anyone can find you.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Torkoal Stu
This

Yanmega

Personally I've found Facebook and its (extremely annoying) chat function has found a decrease in my MSN useage. I used to go on MSN quite frequently, yet now I have less time (due to university) when I do have spare time on the computer I mostly log into facebook and chat to anyone I need to using it's chat function (I have a lot of people on facebook I don't have on msn for example) or giving them a comment on their wall (or something to that effect). In a similiar vein I also text a lot more than I used to, and with certain people phone calls, so it just seems I have very little need for MSN or AIM or any instant messaging service. Also especially now that I'm a lot busier its easier talking to everyone I need to with texts or quick facebook messages rather than instant messager conversations which often go on for hours at a time.

Of course in the holidays if I have nothing to do for a night I probably will go on MSN. Just never as much as I did previously.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
I have MSN, but I use it a lot more to talk to people from the ASB/Other online things than any of my friends now...going to University now, everyone keeps in contact on Facebook, nobody has yet asked me for my MSN address.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I pop in MSN occasionally and I check Facebook regularly (if I can), but don't stay on too long, or really post any messages.

I'm actually on AIM a lot because I log onto my AIM at the same time I log into Google Talk, which is part of Gmail. Which I leave on forever.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I hate Facebook.

Instant Messengers are so much better and far more personal, in my opinion. Facebook is obnoxious.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I personally dislike sites like Facebook or Myspace. Just whoaring your information like that is just screaming "I love me and you must too!" I have accounts in both, but all of the information I put on there is stuff I made up.

As for messenger, I just keep logged in whenever I'm on in case someone wants to talk to meh. It's really the only way I can keep in contact with old friends.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
Torkoal Stu
This

Yanmega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
I hate Facebook.

Instant Messengers are so much better and far more personal, in my opinion. Facebook is obnoxious.
You're facebook obnoxious. *shot*

For some reason I do really like facebook, I'm not completely sure why. I think it's now I'm away from home I can keep in touch with people who I normally would never have spoken to go again, also it can be easier talking to people who I want to keep in touch with while I'm away on facebook than say texting them or whatever. So from a social student just left home and now going to university and wants to keep in touch with good friends/people from back home (who may also have left home or whatever) it is a very useful tool.

That said I hate those games like 'Farmville' and 'Cafe World' and 'My Zoo' that people play on facebook. Seriously I went to the library to do some work and some girl next to me was playing Cafe World for two hours straight and she had her headphones in but you could still here the annoying music. Seriously it's insane! That's where I draw the line, I used to play 'Farm Town' but got really addicted and I was like 'what the hell am I doing with my life?'. So now I don't play those games but I get a lot of invites from like half of my friend list.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
Tenorphin
Boulder Badge

I usually just hide those notifications and block those applications. It made life so much easier.
The Cloud Garden
Spoiler: show
Cotton
Level 14
Tenorphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:36 AM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
For some reason I do really like facebook, I'm not completely sure why. I think it's now I'm away from home I can keep in touch with people who I normally would never have spoken to go again, also it can be easier talking to people who I want to keep in touch with while I'm away on facebook than say texting them or whatever. So from a social student just left home and now going to university and wants to keep in touch with good friends/people from back home (who may also have left home or whatever) it is a very useful tool.
From my experience, that only seems to last while you're in university. When people graduate, they either stop managing their Facebook accounts or delete them out of embarrassment of the kind of job they ended up getting. Only a handful of my original "freshman" class continues to maintain public, maintained accounts, and those are not micro-managed, they're more like an update/week rather than a few times every hour.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

AIM is dying? No ways! ICQ is dead but AIM still lives! I watched a friend chatting through one of those social sites and it was crap! Tiny windows with a kinda popupish feel and it seemed more like posting on a board then a quick back and forth conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
I can keep in touch with people who I normally would never have spoken to go again
Isn't that kinda weird? If ya feel that way why would ya continue speaking with them? Almost kinda sounds like your forced or forcing yourself to keep up with those peoples.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:59 AM   #13
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Amazingly there are people on my blocklist (or who have blocked me) who still use AIM, and I've found that out looking at dupe accounts I made back in the day. I want to talk to them, why won't they unblock me.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
Stlbk
taco...

Send a message via AIM to Stlbk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Amazingly there are people on my blocklist (or who have blocked me) who still use AIM, and I've found that out looking at dupe accounts I made back in the day. I want to talk to them, why won't they unblock me.
Maybe you should try finding them on Facebook? XD

Either that or stop stalking them...
You can also delete your entire buddy list and wait to see if anyone sends you IMs.
This way you find out who still wants to talk to you.

No wonder my AIM list is sparse....so sad....
Stlbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That happened once. When Facebook introduced their "AIM buddy add" automatically, it showed me all the people on my list. Including Namek's profile! I'm not quite ready to share my true identity just yet though so I ended up taking my contact off Facebook. Sad!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc