Holy Kingdom gets attacked by Devils
Pandemonium everywhere
Hell on Earth
The pain and depression of people looking for Salvation
They ask for help of the Sorcerous Kingdom
Victory for both? A fierce fight.
Volume 12:
Ainz Ooal Gown vs Jaldabaoth

I was wrong, setup be darned. It's lights, camera, kick arse.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:27 AM   #7327
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Overlord Volume 12 teaser spoilers!

I was wrong, setup be darned. It's lights, camera, kick arse.
I'm extremely hyped. Just sad the release date is just "2017" instead of something more specific.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #7328
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Well considering it's October, 2017 was a given. However, I would estimate we're looking at a January or February release. Here's why:

Overlord Volume 6 - 31 January 2014
Overlord Volume 7 - 30 August 2014
Overlord Volume 8 - 26 December 2014
Overlord Volume 9 - 29 June 2015
Overlord Volume 10 - 30 May 2016
Overlord Volume 11 - 30 September 2016

Volume 6-7: 211 Days
Volume 7-8: 118 Days
Volume 8-9: 185 Days
Volume 9-10: 365 Days
Volume 10-11: 123 Days

It takes Maruyama an average of 159 Days to finish a novel, if you throw out the outlier that is Volume 9-10. Why did it take so long to do Volume 10?

Well, if we use the average, Volume 10 should have come out around 15 December 2016. Given the reports, Maruyama reportedly had finished Volume 10 and was going to release it, but his editor said more information was required for the aftermath of Volume 9, so they held of on the publication and instead wrote a new Volume 10, and released that when it was finished.

From 15 December 2015, if you add the average again, the date you get is:

13 May 2015

Which is in spitting distance of where the actual Volume 10 emerged at. So, this means that on 30 May 2015, Volume 11 was already done. 159-123 = 36 days, add that to 30 September 2016 and we get an estimate of 5 November 2016.

In other words, Maruyama should already be darn near finished with Volume 12. If they committed the novel to 2017, it will certainly be released in January, which puts Maruyama back on schedule for a 3 novel per year pace (I'm guessing his publisher's aim is a 180 day per novel release timetable).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-18-2016, 12:50 AM   #7329
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Finished Chapter 1 of Volume 10. Getting closer to being caught up.

Solid shit so far. Pretty damn solid shit.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #7330
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
I'm extremely hyped. Just sad the release date is just "2017" instead of something more specific.
i mean, that's how all release dates are like now-a-days.

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:12 AM   #7331
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Re-read Volume 11:

Spoiler: show

I like Hejinmal. At first I didn't, because he's a pretty pathetic dragon, but he really follows in the footsteps of Hamsuke as a comic relief "pet". There's more than enough fearsome creatures in Nazarick to not need a fearsome dragon like Olasird'arc.

That said, Hejinmal looks to also be very useful. He can read Dwarven, which Ainz can't, and has a lot of knowledge about the New World (due to researching and being long lived). Moreover, I think being part of Nazarick is one of the best outcomes for him, as he gets to travel like he wanted and has access to all the knowledge in the library, not unlike Fluder. It remains to be seen if he can transform into a human at some point later in the story.

Also, and I may be reading between the lines, but Hejinmal said he would be asking "favours" of his father's concubines in return for saving them. I automatically associated that with sexual favours, and it sort of makes sense. Two of the concubines aren't related to him so he could breed with them.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #7332
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Updates....with love!

Classicaloid
Episode 2 was a letdown. The surrealism from episode 1 was gone. Also the episode was about the female protagonist, who is not a good character. It seems her whole shtick is being a bitch. Mozart's bits were entertaining though. Atleast this episode was funnier than episode 1. Admittedly it's disheartening seeing it have such a low score. Episode 1 was absolutely fantastic, but it's the second lowest rated show I'm following (Occultic;Nine takes first spot). People need to learn how to appreciate the finer things in life....like bulldozers fusing into mechs and dancing with piano mechs.

Occultic;Nine
Episode 2 was umm....there? It took 20 minutes of my time, and I watched something. There's just nothing that stands out about this show. Occult things like curses and fortune telling being real, and a kid who is loosely involved gets heavily involved. It's not bad, but it's not interesting either. I guess this is why everyone pays much attention to that one girl's massive tits. That's the only extraordinary thing about the show! Funny that her fanart still dominates the Occultic;Nine tag, even though she only appeared in episode 2 for 5 seconds. She would have every image, but one asshole drew a solo picture of the main protagonist. Sad thing is, I actually look forward to her presence in C91.

Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari
Episode 2 was cute, but that's about it. Not much happened in the way of development, or at all. It was just cute funtime with a little tanuki boy.

Muteki Kanban Musume
Oh god I'm finally done with this damn show! This was such a chore to watch. It's just not very funny. Sure, it'll give a few laughs here and there, but 90% of the time, I'm bored or irritated. The characters are incredibly 1-dimensional. One episode had the characters behave like actual people and not be so stupidly over-the-top, and it actually wasn't bad. Sad thing is that it was only one episode. Every other episode is just the same damn unfunny nonsense over-and-over again. "FIGHT ME MIKI!" "THIS CHARACTER DID THIS!" "DESUWA! OH HO HO HO HO HO!" Even worse is how overpowered Miki is. She beats everyone at everything, and it's frustrating because of how bad of a character she is. Miki is a ruthless bully, an awful employee, and looks down on everyone. It makes you want to see her fail, but no, she's better than everyone. I give this a 5 just for the fact that it's still watchable and it gave a little enjoyment...only a little.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #7333
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

>.> <.< >.>

I'm following a ton of shows this season, but while I came for my number one "OMG I MUST GUSH ABOUT THIS TO EVERYONE" show I guess I can list some highlights so far. In no particular order:

Bungou Stray Dogs S2

Gotta love those supernatural modern day editions of more and less famous authors. They're seriously amping up the cast with the American crew and some big names (Lovecraft, anyone?) and so far it's looking just as pretty as the first season. Focus for the time being, if not the whole season, seems to be on Dazai and his days with Port Mafia so if nothing else we're not forced to watch the "EVERYBODY HATES MY EXISTENCE" flashback of last season's lead for the umpteenth time.

Drifters

"Hang on...is this Kouta Hirano? It absolutely is, isn't it? *checks the work* WHY YES IT IS."

Guy's got a signature drawing style, what can I say. Anyway, I'm already dubbing this one "Kouta Hirano's Wikipedia Binge" because there's a huge cast of military heroes and lead figures from a wide array of historical periods, each and everyone making direct or indirect references to their glory days, strategies, victories and losses constantly. Shimazu Toyohisa as a main character is a good choice since he doesn't seem to be a very well-known guy, historically speaking. It's nice to learn about a new guy entirely instead of the same old Sengoku cast over and over again. Obviously the other two of the leading trio are golden oldies Oda Nobunaga and Nasu no Yoichi but even their characters feel new and refreshing in this show.

My favorite part about the show isn't the bloody battles (though they are great!) but instead the fact that every single big, bad warrior in the show is, at their very core, a petty little shit. "YOU TOTALLY STOLE MY BATTLE STRATEGY! I DESERVE THE CREDIT!" "NO YOU DID SHIT, OLD MAN" seems like a fairly frequent exchange, and what more do these Drifters want to know than what happened after their deaths in the real world and which vassal did what. When Nasu no Yoichi's not busy decimating his enemies, he's busy taking the piss at Nobunaga and Toyohisa because he's still physically 19 and beautiful in comparison to these "grandpas" (Toyohisa's 30, so the rules of anime-aging seem to apply). It's a fun weekly history corner. :3

Keijo!!!!!!!!

Alright, we gotta talk about Keijo. It's infamous as hell for the sport of "boobs and butts". All jiggle physics, butt-shots and boob-shots are on board. But somehow...I'm still very much enjoying the show.

As far as sports anime writing goes Keijo is wonderful. No, not kidding or being sarcastic. The script is interesting and fun, the girls with their heavy regional accents and personal quirks and goals aren't totally boring 2D-boob-hangers, and once I stopped thinking of the boobs&butts as a sexual thing...I found myself rooting for the girls and getting sucked into the seriousness the universe has about their sport. And for the first time in a long time there's a group of characters in a sports anime who have no aspirations to become the best Keijo-players in Japan or the world. The leading girl wants to be the richest player and the serious prodigy type is in it for the cute custom swimsuits. Training looks hard and exhausting and watching a line of girls doing the "ass-walk" while complaining about their aching muscles is far from the "OOPS BOOBS TEHEH~" fanservice offered by every other anime out there.

Keijo is now what Shimoneta was last year: the odd fanservice premise makes you roll your eyes, then you find yourself waiting for the next episode for the storyline. It's a guilty pleasure show.

Yuri!!! on Ice

I wasn't expecting much of this show. The premise seemed...oddly specific. Any sport can get an anime these days, but figure skating wasn't the first thing on my mind. But this show is amazing. From the music and powerful OP to the skating choreography (of course made by a real figure skating professional) to the wacky, beautiful skaters and an interesting social media angle (characters use Instagram and such in the show, and the ED makes use of this in a very pretty and funky way)...it's all so very, very good. Voice-cast might be somewhat typecast, with Junichi Suwabe as the suave older professional the protagonist admires for the millionth time, but one can live with it. The show is getting me interested in figure skating all over again!

3-gatsu no Lion

This show is a visual candy land. It's beautiful. It's gripping. The story doesn't explain nearly as much as it shows you, getting through exactly the sort of pains the protagonist has, the little joys, and while the protagonist is a professional shogi player this is not a sports anime. At all. Shogi is pretty much the source of all of the protagonist's worries, anxieties and troubles with himself and in relation to his adoptive family. How could you be happy and proud about being a great shogi player when everyone ousts you and is disappointed about it - only because you're not the biological son of the man you can beat with your hands tied? When the only thing between people being amazed, proud and happy and disappointed, sad and dismissive is your blood-relation? "It's amazing! Now if only he was the biological son..."

The depression is deep. But I still want to watch and hope things will turn out for the better.

Occultic;Nine

I dreaded this one, to be honest. Steins;Gate wasn't too bad, but as soon as something becomes a series I get wary. Gonna blame Hollywood's cashcow "MAKE AT LEAST FIVE MOVIES OUT OF THESE 100 PAGES" method for that. >.>'''

But I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out that as soon as the show moves away from the motor-mouthing, tropy perv of a protagonist, played by Kaji Yuki, the show actually becomes interesting. At the end of the second episode I was legit disappointed I have to wait for the next episode and more of the story. I'll keep watching this one, hopefully it won't be a total bust like Attack on Titan...

And now, the main event that made me want to post in the first place!

Fune wo Amu

Okay, I recognize this might not be a show that appeals to everyone. But as soon as the first episode opened with all the words, continued with the words and their importance to the main character...man. I was in love. Mitsuya Majime (yes, the very maji character is named "Majime" ) is a somewhat awkward guy with not much in terms of social skills and lives with an elderly lady, tons of his beloved books and the cat, Tora. He's absolutely failing his job as a sales rep for a publisher - something he gets chastised for by a person working in another part of the same publisher organization. This guy then goes on to tell his boss and coworker about the odd sales rep who could make up definitions for words at the drop of a hat...right when the boss is desperately looking for a young, precise, attentive, gifted person to help with their project, a new dictionary. The boss meets Majime and it's love at first sight: words get defined, words get written, words become a very exciting and interesting thing in this show. Heck, the importance of having different dictionaries and recognizing them as their "own personalities" gets its own segment! At the end of the episode I was basically shaking the screen and going "WAIT NO I WANT TO HEAR TAKAHIRO SAKURAI DEFINE MORE WORDS! ". I'm hooked.

Now my first reaction was "I GOTTA TELL TALON ABOUT THIS MARVEL! >8D" . It's so very Japanese, as in the language, that it most likely won't get an official dubbing. Words, their origins and definitions, the kanji, it's all a big deal. There's some real love for language in the show and the original novel, which has already gotten a live-action adaption or two. Take it from a translation major: dictionaries have never been this cool and interesting. I could sit down and listen to Majime explain words and meanings for hours.

There's also a much featured fat cat named "tiger", for god's sake! WHAT MORE COULD YOU POSSIBLY ASK FOR?!

>.> <.< >.> *runs off again*
Old 10-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #7334
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

@kaisa

I want to hear regional accents. Actually, it seems like I've had this weird inkling to want to listen to drama CDs lately, just to hear people speaking Japanese. I dunno if my Japanese has gotten better listening to freaking J-Pop but it does seem I've gotten better at discerning some things, and it's pleasing to the ear.

Also BBB, it's sad you're dropping Muteki Kanban Musume. There's no way I could drop a show where a girl says ~desu wa. It's too much of a turn on.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #7335
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
@kaisa

I want to hear regional accents. Actually, it seems like I've had this weird inkling to want to listen to drama CDs lately, just to hear people speaking Japanese. I dunno if my Japanese has gotten better listening to freaking J-Pop but it does seem I've gotten better at discerning some things, and it's pleasing to the ear.
If you're looking for regional accents I highly recommend Barakamon. It's heavy country accent all around, it's great if you're into that. :3

As far as listening to Japanese goes, aside from music and drama CDs I absolutely insist you give radio CDs a go. There's plenty of radio shows hosted by anime voice actors that are based around the anime they're starring at, for example Attack on Titan and Kuroko no Basuke had very good radio shows. It's usually 2-3 people at a time speaking natural Japanese, usually about really down to earth topics (KnB-radio discussed Valentine's day memories and such in one episode, absolutely no need to know anything about basketball or the show). Sports anime seems to attract radio shows a bunch, but if you look you'll find other kinds, too. Even the sports shows don't focus on sports 90% of the time! KnB-radio is my absolute favorite radio CD-collection. x3

Hah hah, sorry for the flood of words, I have an affection for radio CDs.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #7336
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
ViVid Strike!

Okay, so this is a nice watch and I'd recommend it for something somewhat light though the story seems anything but.

Now onto some fun thoughts I've had...
> potential Lambo (Reventon) and Ferrari (Berlinetta EDIT: adopted name it seems. Maybe she was originally a Lambo too. EDIT2: Or maybe not..?) rivalry
> Berlinetta girl has a device named Scuderia
LAMBO VS. FERRARI THE ANIME IS CONFIRMED!
> has a red crystal in her device, Ferraris are predominantly red
> there's another girl called Miura
Okay, it's confirmed now
100x times confirmed
> even a girl named Stratos
LANCIA GETS A REPRESENTATION!

EDIT: It seems that this isn't as much a theory as much as the creators keep referencing cars, Stratos's device is named 'Teo' after the Teo Martin Lancia 037 Stradale and Reventon just got her device in ep.5... Her device is named 'Huracan' after the Lamborghini Huracan. Also a new person with Chevelle as their last name, as in the Chevrolet Chevelle.

Last edited by Chiko; 11-06-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Chiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:31 AM   #7337
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Working!

Hey, this is cute and funny. Who would have guessed.

It's pretty, uh, well,

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #7338
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Dragonball Super spoilers:

Big V is coming back, and the internet meltdowns in response.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #7339
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I have a huge freaking grin on my face.

BBB showed me a clip from Show by Rock!! (I believe it's in this thread) and it was cute as heck. The art, animation, and song were bubbly and warm.

I finally got my sinful hands on the full version of that opening song, "Heart wo Rock!!" and it's even better extended. Usually, singles are of the same quality or better, but something like "Guren no Yumiya" sort of conditioned me to fear feature length. No matter, this song is ULTRA CUTE, my goodness. You can bet I have high blood sugar right now from the sweetness.

An anime update.

Working!!

I'm halfway through the first season. This show isn't super compelling, but on face value it seems like a bad match for me. Cliche romance setting? Check. Actual work? Dull. Food service? Gag me with used toilet paper (false).

This show is actually really awesome from a development POV. It's not just food service 4koma gags like I feared, the romantic tension gets resolved one step at a time in each episode. That's really cool, and I never expected this.

I'm still not feeling that urgency to watch each episode, but once I get going it passes easily enough. Like eating vegetables I guess - you aren't compelled to eat them, but once you do it's not bad.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-17-2016, 12:27 AM   #7340
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hey, guys! I watched an anime!

Guess what's next on the list?

I told you it wasn't dropped.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #7341
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yay for brutality!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-17-2016, 11:04 PM   #7342
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I have been meaning to post for a while, but I kept putting it off until I finished a show I'm watching. Sadly I keep putting that off as well. I guess an update is still in order! I'm several episodes behind on all of my shows besides Udon no Kuni and Show by Rock. Time demanding RPGs kind of does that to you.

Classicaloid
I almost feel stupid for gushing about this like I did. I know I saw brilliance in episode 1, but the next few episodes didn't have that brilliance at all. Episode 4 was about as good as episode 1 at the very least. I think the show would be much better if it were about the Classicaloids, and ignore the irritating reverse harem building around bitch landlord lady with a man-cut.

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
I stopped watching it at around episode 4. The show started to take a direction I just don't care for. It's not bad or anything. Maybe I'll pick it back up if I have nothing else to watch.

Nanbaka
The jokes are getting really old. I'm still watching it because of all the pretty colors.

Show by Rock!!
Season 2 is surprisingly interesting when it's not doing SoL nonsense with Plasmagica. While it's nothing great, it's the first show I want to watch if I have time to watch something. I wish I could find that original game PV I found a while back. I forgot whether or not the characters even had human forms in the original game.

Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari
Second show I will usually watch if I have time to watch something. A realization kind of hurts some enjoyment, but I still enjoyment. After a while, you start to realize Poco isn't really needed. Souta has all of these internal conflicts, but the kid is unrelated to any of them. He's mostly just there to make you "DAWWW" to death. Sadly I'm afraid the show might be really boring without the kid. Atleast in the latest episode, you start to feel the weight of Souta's internal struggle, and it actually goes somewhere.

Nanatsui no Taizai
I started watching this because the art style looked interesting. It's....well....it's a shounen. It's a better shounen at the very least. I really like the character designs. I'd say it's like an evolved Akira Toriyama art style. The giant is freaking cute. Also the characters have interesting pasts. It's nice watching through all that while we get through combat. My biggest issue is how the battles end up. After a certain point in this show, victory is only obtained through new powers, characters, or weapons. If something new doesn't present itself, the "almighty powerful 7 Deadly Sins" get their asses kicked. It's frustrating. I still have a few episodes to go. I don't understand how this flew completely past my radar. I never even heard of it until I saw it on Netflix. You would think I would take notice of an eye-catching show like this when it aired.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #7343
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

If nobody makes an Overlord topic when the next volume is released, I'll do it myself.

I've been reading the Overlord novel volumes lately. It's too addicting really. I've read things out of order - started with Volume V, skipped to VIII, went back to VI, and now I'm reading IV.

I was looking for little things I would notice that other people probably missed, or lesser known facts. Stuff like:

-the Platinum Dragon Lord's name
-Narberal knows that Evileye is a vampire, but Ainz just thinks she's a sorcerer girl
-it's possible for Ainz to resurrect Surshana
-Ainz was posing as Momon at the end of Volume VIII, instead of Pandora's Actor (who I thought)
-Elves with heterochromia are believed to be of godly descent
-Ainz started using Perfect Warrior to hide the fact he can't use martial arts like a normal warrior could

I thought Brain was insufferable in the anime, but he's one of my favourite (human) characters now. I'm really cheering for him to make progress against the monsters.

I also like Jircniv. The summaries made him sound like FSN's Gilgamesh, a good king but arrogant. The novel proper makes him out to be a great king and a pretty likeable guy. Way more likeable than anyone in the Re-Estize Kingdom.

Volume VI, the invasion volume, was way more interesting before Nazarick started to counter-attack. Describing the tomb and its hidden secrets, the worker backstories, and their experiences was much more interesting. I can see why Ainz likes adventurers.

Volume VI also puts into perspective just how awesome the Lizardmen are. The alliance beat back an army of undead of comparable strength to what the workers faced, and they also beat a more powerful lich than what Heavy Masher went up against (even though they faced a group).

Fun stuff. It's eating my time away!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #7344
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

HAHAHA TALON AND LOKI.

Childhood ruined, childhood ruiiined...if wasn't ruined before, it's ruined now!!

Well, not really childhood. But this probably does ruin something for you blokes. And it makes me go all smugma because my crazy conspiracy theory was right.

Can you guess what it's about?

http://otakomu.jp/archives/461850.html

The sacred cow died, giving birth to a cash cow!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #7345
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Cardcaptor Sakura isn't safe either.

I wonder what else will get hit with this nonsense. Shuffle? ToHeart? Princess Tutu? Air?!

Here's an idea. They do a sequel to K-On. The girls are put into cryogenic sleep so they can spread their music in the future. Sadly, a nuclear fallout happens. The girls then have teatime in a nuclear wasteland. The girls don't age due to radiation, and all of the boys are dead! IT'S PERFECT!
Old 11-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #7346
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
HAHAHA TALON AND LOKI.

Childhood ruined, childhood ruiiined...if wasn't ruined before, it's ruined now!!

Well, not really childhood. But this probably does ruin something for you blokes. And it makes me go all smugma because my crazy conspiracy theory was right.

Can you guess what it's about?

http://otakomu.jp/archives/461850.html

The sacred cow died, giving birth to a cash cow!
What are you on about? What conspiracy theory? I have never once heard you say something like "{Person} isn't really dead" or "There's gonna be an S3 some day."

And it wouldn't really have made sense for you to do so anyway -- because the original is pretty explicitly clear about how it ends, and this proposed sequel(?) seeks to ruin that. It's about as bad as an alternate reality where Episode VII: The Force Awakens revealed that a certain person hadn't really died at the end of Episode VI. Like ... no. You can't do that. You showed him dying on screen. Pretty inescapably, I might add.

I'll give you one thing though -- this is the latest example of how the anime industry is stuck in the same sequelitis rut that Hollywood is. I love a good reboot as much as the next guy, but that's the thing: "good reboot." Good ones are few and far between. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhhood was one. Kanon (2006) was another. And I don't say no to good sequels or prequels. I applauded Fate/Zero. I welcomed each successive installment in the Ace Attorney series. But again, good sequels are hard to come by. We're not talking the S2s and the S3s for ongoing works like Rozen Maiden, Genshiken, Natsume Yuujinchou, or Minami-ke. We're talking true blue sequels to concluded art pieces, sequels like Psycho-Pass Season 2 (ehh) or Digimon Adventure -tri- (been enjoying it so far! ).

A third season, a movie, even a manga one-off chapter sequel to the events of Code Geass is already ill-advised seeing as the original wrapped things up so very, very well with the series finale. But one in which {Person} is brought back, one in which the game is back on and it's like we never really left it ... that's not only dumb, but it undermines the ending of the original.

I haven't watched anything Geass-related since the original concluded, and I have to say: I'm not likely to check this one out either. For me, Code Geass ended for better or for worse with the S2 finale.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #7347
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Air can never be rebooted, BBB, because Misuzu is freaking dead.

As I commented on the anime when I saw it, Misuzu's CV being dead adds a supernatural uniqueness to her character. I know she voiced Hikaru Shidou too, but it really gave me this feeling that Misuzu was unique among anime characters in that her voice was hers now, not a CV speaking through her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
What are you on about? What conspiracy theory? I have never once heard you say something like "{Person} isn't really dead" or "There's gonna be an S3 some day."
The last major discussion in the Code Geass topic is between Vran, myself and Loki about how Lelouch is/isn't alive. It takes up several pages (one page for me, since I have max replies/thread enabled). It's easy to find because it follows a string of posts where I talk to myself for three months.

Vran's identity has been since publically disclosed so I will just take your admission of ignorance as just due forgetfulness - afterall, that discussion was eight years ago! - and not an effort at preserving a deception.

Quote:
And it wouldn't really have made sense for you to do so anyway -- because the original is pretty explicitly clear about how it ends, and this proposed sequel(?) seeks to ruin that. It's about as bad as an alternate reality where Episode VII: The Force Awakens revealed that a certain person hadn't really died at the end of Episode VI. Like ... no. You can't do that. You showed him dying on screen. Pretty inescapably, I might add.
!

I disagree! And I recommend revisiting the past because it's a lot of work to restate the arguments I put forth back then...in fuzzier form.

My only objection with this anime is that it takes place a mere few years after Zero Requiem. That means the majority of the cast should be coming back. If it took place like, one hundred years afterward, that would be more interesting. Even 20 years later would still be decent as regimes can change in a quarter century.

You likely haven't seen the Akihito spinoff, but I highly suspect there will be some cousincest between that and R2, and the recessive genes will show up in this new anime. Not disclosing any spoilers JUST IN CASE but there's a major plot twist in Akihito that I think is the major driving force of "R3".

Quote:
I'll give you one thing though -- this is the latest example of how the anime industry is stuck in the same sequelitis rut that Hollywood is. I love a good reboot as much as the next guy, but that's the thing: "good reboot." Good ones are few and far between. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhhood was one. Kanon (2006) was another. And I don't say no to good sequels or prequels. I applauded Fate/Zero. I welcomed each successive installment in the Ace Attorney series. But again, good sequels are hard to come by. We're not talking the S2s and the S3s for ongoing works like Rozen Maiden, Genshiken, Natsume Yuujinchou, or Minami-ke. We're talking true blue sequels to concluded art pieces, sequels like Psycho-Pass Season 2 (ehh) or Digimon Adventure -tri- (been enjoying it so far! ).

A third season, a movie, even a manga one-off chapter sequel to the events of Code Geass is already ill-advised seeing as the original wrapped things up so very, very well with the series finale. But one in which {Person} is brought back, one in which the game is back on and it's like we never really left it ... that's not only dumb, but it undermines the ending of the original.

I haven't watched anything Geass-related since the original concluded, and I have to say: I'm not likely to check this one out either. For me, Code Geass ended for better or for worse with the S2 finale.
This isn't a case of memberberries, though.

Sunrise, the studio behind Geass, is notorious for franchising pretty much everything they make. The studio's bread and butter is reincarnating Gundam every other year, even though the original MSG still stands as an all-time wonderful classic, in spite of its dated visuals.

Keroro Gunsou, Gintama...these are all anime held together in cajun zombie form by Sunrise's voodoo. It isn't surprising that Geass would be stitched together and reanimated either, so it's unlike the broader trend of reboots and sequels and forced franchises.

If anything, I'd say Japan is less susceptible to this than the US. Japan infrequently outright reboots a show, like FMA, Kanon or FSN. They are more partial to second seasons, sequels with different cast, omake or spin-offs.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-01-2016, 01:55 AM   #7348
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well, because Yuki's a jerk and knows I've got the following progression:
IRL project --> Pokémon Sun --> Katawa Shoujo
she figured she'd add a link to the chain in the form of Koe no Katachi.

BORKED
(link)

Koe no Katachi is a story about a young man and the deaf girl whom he bullied in elementary school.

I'm fifteen chapters in. The story is about sixty-two chapters in length.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #7349
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Roughly thirty chapters into Koe no Katachi. I'm enjoying it.

Have decided the next backlogged anime project I'll tackle will be Barakamon. Last I'd watched it, I was eight episodes through. I just watched 09 while taking a break from a project, and will probably watch the final few episodes some time over the next week.

After Barakamon is either going to be Prisma Illya (a re-watch of S1 followed by journeying back into S2 and pushing forward into S3 and S4) or else No Game No Life. It'll probably come right down to the wire.

During/Before either one of those, though, will be the continuation of Katawa Shoujo which Koe no Katachi so cruelly interrupted. Much excited to relive the Hanako path and finally finish the Lilly one.

Haven't watched any Pokémon in weeks. Will try to polish off XY&Z here in the near future. Won't be watching Alola until I get the chance to complete the game myself.

Caught up with the latest JoJo. Enjoying it fine, but as before my position is that Part IV is the least entertaining of the four arcs we've seen thus far. It isn't to say that it's bad, because it's not bad. It's just to say that the arc I'm currently watching is the arc I'd put in last place.

I had started the third Digimon -tri- movie a month or two ago but I never finished it because STUFF. I need to do that still.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #7350
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

As great as Part IV's villain is as a character, I would have to submit that his "boss fight" is one of the less exciting ones in Jojo. It's not the least, that one is yet to come. But it's down there, and not because it's bad, but the standard is oh so high for the others.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime