UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 10-20-2016, 10:12 PM   #26
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

The Splatoon scene just looked like scripted animation scenes as opposed to a preview of either a Switch version of Splatoon or Splatwoon
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #27
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Any talk of battery life on it?
I'm going to take a bold stance here and say either 1)total ass or 2)performance will be throttled in handheld mode (like 30FPS caps or similar).

Honestly kind of cool on the reveal so far, because I feel like the Switch has probably made too many compromises to be a console that you can take with you (or a portable you can plug into your TV) to fully satisfy anyone, and the idea that I could start playing Mario Kart at home and then finish while flying on a plane to the other side of the country is novel but not a niche that my life really needs filled. As has usually been the case though, you're primarily buying the console for Nintendo's first party output and anything that isn't total garbo and/or done better on another platform is a nice bonus.

EDIT: Because fuck you I'll put in Battletech references wherever I fucking feel like it, it's probably going to be the LAM of consoles.

EDIT EDIT: I feel the slowly dawning horror that Nintendo may have just created a slightly larger PS Vita. It will probably do better because (unlike Sony) Nintendo actually has somewhat-coherent handheld strategy, but still.

Last edited by Blastoise; 10-20-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:46 PM   #28
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Because I hate myself I decided to see what NeoGAF is saying about the console.

One guy is bragging about how smart he is because he predicted that the GPU would be an NVIDIA in a market where all console makers get their processors from one of two major manufacturers. Good job nailing that coin toss, buddy.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:50 AM   #29
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miror View Post

There had been rumors prior to its announcement that Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker, and Super Smash Bros. Wii U would all be ported to the NX with additional features. This would also explain why the Mario Kart in the trailer, while looking very similar to Mario Kart 8, has some different features as well (King Boo as a character, two item slots, etc.). My bet personally is that they're ports but they could surprise us with sequels, either way I'm down lol
Quote:
(King Boo as a character, two item slots, etc.)
>Double Dash 2 will never exist

Old 10-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #30
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Someone reported that the Switch is going to be region-free. Can anybody source this? It looks like it's just a rumor as of right now. But if the Switch is region-free, that's fantastic news. Some of my favorite DS games (Shonen Jump Superstars and Mojipittan, for example) were exclusive to Japan. It'll be nice to be able to play such games again.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #31
GrJackass
Night Man

i saw pictures yesterday but i didnt know if it was a hoax or not. I like the concept a lot but i do have some issues. one it looks pretty unwieldy for actual on the go gaming/packing for travel. it's going to need a great case of some sort which will eat even more space.

I do like the on-the-couch multiplayer without screen watching and on the go is its major saving grace

i know they were trying to save space but it seems like a missed opportunities to make the "controllers" into motion controllers. they look like the wiimote just stubbier.

Also yea, is nintendo finally getting skyrim? i thought someone in the Ad dept done fucked up.

when is this coming out? christmas 2017? or is it sooner?
I'm definitely going to wait to see this in person and see if it takes off in general. for my liking i feel like its stepping on the 3ds's toes.

Yes i've always wanted to game my game with me but it'd never work out. Either im going to be driving or getting sick looking at the monitor being a passenger. Also that scene in the commercial was FUCKING ridiculous. who would go to a rooftop party just to play a game? with super sun glare, and super people glares. It just seems to be this is trying to make everyone happy but actually making everyone just slightlty miserable. it's kind of a master of none sort of thing.

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #32
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrJackass View Post
i saw pictures yesterday but i didnt know if it was a hoax or not. I like the concept a lot but i do have some issues. one it looks pretty unwieldy for actual on the go gaming/packing for travel. it's going to need a great case of some sort which will eat even more space.

I do like the on-the-couch multiplayer without screen watching and on the go is its major saving grace

i know they were trying to save space but it seems like a missed opportunities to make the "controllers" into motion controllers. they look like the wiimote just stubbier.

Also yea, is nintendo finally getting skyrim? i thought someone in the Ad dept done fucked up.

when is this coming out? christmas 2017? or is it sooner?
I'm definitely going to wait to see this in person and see if it takes off in general. for my liking i feel like its stepping on the 3ds's toes.

Yes i've always wanted to game my game with me but it'd never work out. Either im going to be driving or getting sick looking at the monitor being a passenger. Also that scene in the commercial was FUCKING ridiculous. who would go to a rooftop party just to play a game? with super sun glare, and super people glares. It just seems to be this is trying to make everyone happy but actually making everyone just slightlty miserable. it's kind of a master of none sort of thing.
The new remastered skyrim, apparently. March of 2017 from what i recall, based off the trailer.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #33
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Someone reported that the Switch is going to be region-free. Can anybody source this? It looks like it's just a rumor as of right now. But if the Switch is region-free, that's fantastic news. Some of my favorite DS games (Shonen Jump Superstars and Mojipittan, for example) were exclusive to Japan. It'll be nice to be able to play such games again.
The last Nintendo console that was region free was the DS, so I wouldn't imagine they're going to walk it back for the Switch unless Miyamoto randomly demanded removal of region locking and they did it to make him stop throwing dog feces at the front of the building.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #34
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I trust Laura K Buzz on these matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #35
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Releases March 1st, priced at $299.99. Need to pay for online play service kind of like Xbox Live and PSN network.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #36
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
well shit

gg nintendo

you fucked up

again

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #37
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I disagree.

The Switch is actually cheap in AUS dollars, less than 500 is really good for a launch console.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #38
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
The Switch will be fine.

They've confirmed no region locking iirc
Old 01-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #39
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
The Switch will be fine.

They've confirmed no region locking iirc
Thats 1 good thing outta about a zillion bad ones!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #40
Miror
Marsh Badge

Region locking is confirmed to be gone which is nice, Breath of the Wild on its own will move the console so it's not too much of an issue that it has a mostly staggered launch, the only problem I could see with the launch is if Nintendo pulls a Nintendo and doesn't move enough consoles to meet demand. The major complaint I can see coming is the whole Nintendo having paid online now but in this market it really was inevitable as well as if it means we actually get decent, reliable Nintendo online servers and whatnot now as well as more games with online support, I'm totally fine with it.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #41
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I didn't think this would affect me ... And then I realized this means Pokémon online stuff is affected too. Well shit. Hopefully the packages are cheap. I don't even have a Netflix account, and now you want me to likely pay a comparable monthly fee ... :\

Serious question: do the major developers need this money to keep decent servers running? I see a lot of heated opinions on both sides. Lot of PC gamers saying no, lot of XBox and PlayStation gamers saying yes ...
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #42
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Breath of the Wild on its own will move the console so it's not too much of an issue that it has a mostly staggered launch
No Zelda isn't even remotely enough. For the hardest of the hardcore sure but to the vast majority of casuals and well people like me who don't enjoy Zelda games its getting ignored.

Quote:
Zelda: BotW
1, 2, Switch
I Am Setsuna
Has Been Heroes
Just Dance 2017
Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!
Super Bomberman R
This so far is the launch day lineup just 7 games. Outta all the other games announced for it the only one with a date so far is the Mario Kart port at the very end of april. This is not the kinda launch lineup that can sustain a system for 2 months.

Quote:
Serious question: do the major developers need this money to keep decent servers running? I see a lot of heated opinions on both sides. Lot of PC gamers saying no, lot of XBox and PlayStation gamers saying yes ...
As I understand it most games online are P2P with very few have dedicated servers so the costs are really low. Like they're charging you ta use your own internet which ya already pay for. Live/PS+/Nintendo are absolutely gouging players for money. Even the Cloud Saving Live/PS+ offers (which Nintendos made absolutely no mention of having on their service) is likely real inexpensive.

Last edited by Lindz; 01-13-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #43
deoxys
Fog Badge

The naysayers are overreacting. I understand some of their concerns but... How short our memories are. Does nobody remember the AWFUL launch lineup that was the Wii? 3DS? Wii Sports and Twilight Princess carried the Wii so fucking hard and it still wound up being one of the best selling consoles in history with a decent library by the end of its life. In my opinion, 1 2 Switch really needed to be a bundle-in game, or at least $20, but Nintendo really wanted to hit that $299 sweet spot, because I'm pretty sure no one is going to buy a haptic-feedback minigame simulator for $60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DS launch

Nintendo games:

Pilotwings Resort
Steel Diver
Nintendogs + Cats
Third-Party Games:

Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
The Sims 3
Madden NFL Football
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Ridge Racer 3D
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Bust-A-Move Universe
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
Asphalt 3D
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
Rayman 3D
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wii Launch

Nintendo
Wii Sports (bundled with console)
Excite Truck
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Activision
Call of Duty 3
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Rapala Tournament Fishing
Tony Hawk’s Downhill Jam
World Series of Poker: Tournament of Champions
Atari
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Atlus
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
EA
Madden NFL ’07
Need for Speed Carbon
Konami
Elebits
Midway
Happy Feet
Rampage: Total Destruction
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
The Ant Bully
Sega
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
SNK
Metal Slug Anthology
Tecmo
Super Swing Golf
THQ
Barnyard
Cars
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Creature from the Krusty Krab
Ubisoft
Far Cry: Vengeance
GT Pro Series
Monster 4X4 World Circuit
Open Season
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Double Agent
Vivendi
Ice Age 2: The Meltdown

The Wii U wasn't great either, being almost entirely ports that were months and months old, and Nintendo Land. New Super Mario U was nothing new, because it was just like the other New Super Mario Bros games, and therefore couldn't carry anything worth the weight it had to bear. The third party killer app, ZombiU, wound up being a massive failure and a god-awful piece of shit. This terrible fucking launch led to most of these third party games never being sold, and the third parties blamed Nintendo, even though the truth is no one bought them BECAUSE THEY ARE GAMES THAT EVERYONE ALREADY PLAYED ON OTHER PLATFORMS. Good going, third parties, you morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wii U launch
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Skylanders Giants
Transformers Prime
Wipeout 3
Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
FIFA Soccer 13
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
New Super Mario Bros. U
Ninja Gaiden: Razor’s Edge
Nintendo Land
Sing Party
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Warrios Orochi 3 Hyper
Darksiders II
Assassin’s Creed III
ESPN Sports Connection
Just Dance 4
Rabbids Land
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Game Party Champions
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

PS3 had a terrible launch too. My point is all of these systems wound up thriving very well, except for the er, well, Wii U - which mostly suffered from its god-awful marketing problems, which led to 3rd Parties bailing (as well as their own idiocy). The Switch is not going to have those problems.

Also, we haven't seen a list of all of the third party games coming to Switch in 2017 yet. We have a super tentative list right now. Sonic Mania, Disgaea 5, Snipperclips, Fast RMX, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, Puyo Puyo Tetris, RIME (which looks amazing btw) should all be coming out within the first two-three months at most of the Switch life cycle.

I also imagine we will be getting a healthy amount of VC titles, too. And this doesn't even cover other third party titles that haven't been brought up yet, and by the time Odyssey comes out, I imagine we'll have a good chunk of a library out that is, right now, unannounced.

Yes, that's a large expectation of BotW to carry the whole launch on its shoulders, especially since I doubt most people are going to actually give a shit about 1 2 Switch, Just Dance, or Bomberman - and most Wii U owners will probably hold off since they can get BotW on Wii U.

Personally, I already bought and paid off my pre-order. I can tell the system itself is gonna be fantastic, and I'm really looking forward to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 (the latter quite a lot actually). Yeah, I'm a little bit of a Nintendo whore, but then again I was so turned off by the Wii U that I didn't get one until a year after it launched. The Switch has made a believer out of me.

I think what Nintendo is doing is getting this out the door early in the year so that by Christmastime, there is a healthy market basket of games to be had when the Switch is inevitably the hot item to have along with Mario Odyssey.

PS - If you are complaining about the Switch online service costing money, I sure hope you feel the same about its competitors. If Nintendo is gonna charge though, this new online system better be robust and really nice, a la PSN+.

Last edited by deoxys; 01-13-2017 at 05:43 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #44
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Xenoblade 2 looks interesting.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #45
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:

Yes, despite what PC gamers will tell you (of which I am one, by the way, having sunk $2,000 into my own setup - and whose main platform is a free one in Steam, ironically, which has its servers go down every fucking day), it's an entirely different ballgame from PC gaming because you actually have to set up an infrastructure for your user interface to support online gaming. Non-Steam multiplayer games don't have this problem because the developer/published handles all online interaction right within the game itself.

Let's look at this as an example. Microsoft charges for Xbox Live, Sony charges for PSN. Both have relatively nice and neat UIs as well as nice features such as voice chat, achievements, leaderboards, social interactivity, free games. Even when PSN was free, it lacked a lot of the nice features it has since gained from going pay2play. Nintendo fans know this, and whine about how shitty their free online services are in comparison - Miiverse? FRIEND CODES? Get the fuck out of here, am I right? Babby's first online system.

If you want these features, it's going to cost money. Server farms aren't cheap to maintain and host for a lengthy period of time, especially with how much data they're going to process. Top that off with most likely an entire new division/expansion of current division at Nintendo dedicated to developing web-based features (I'm assuming) that mimic the likes of PSN and XBL, and yeah, it's gonna be $$$.

So, here's where I stand on it: I'm okay with it, if Nintendo doesn't pull a fucking Nintendo. History shows they have, and hints already show they probably will, with their supposed one free virtual console game per month apparently...only lasting for that month before the user needs to buy it. Essentially a month long free demo. Jesus Nintendo, get with the times. What an embarrassment.

But, if they DO manage to pull it off, and make an actually good, reliable online infrastructure, then yes, I believe it will be worth it.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #46
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Zelda is big and cool enough that it will attract most people who don't specifically hate zelda. It's an open world adventure as much as it is a puzzle solving dungeon game and it also looks cool as hell to many casuals. Its very likely that Nintendo is putting a lot of hope into Breath of the Wild by releasing it with a new console and not releasing any large titles that will steal Breath of the Wild sales, which is risky but from what I've seen the game looks absolutely phenomenal game play wise and graphics wise so hopefully for Nintendo is stays that way No Man's Sky flashbacks intensify.

The other titles looks super good too. Mario Odyssey looks eally cool, giving off that galaxy vibe but instead of weird planet we have large expanses of different environments that allow for a more open world playthrough. Feels like that's becoming a recurring theme for Nintendo. Anime!Xenoblade looks astounding as well, going back to the fantasy roots of Chronicles but with more cartoony characters and the classic giga fucking normous world. Mario Kart Deluxe is pulling Nintendo's major racing game up to the modern platform. Arms looks like a fun boxing / shooting hybrid which will probably be defined entirely by how it plays, so that's something to look forwards to. Good to see that after 14 years of no new IPs they've started coming out with them in spade, from Splatoon to Ever Oasis and now Arms. Speaking of Splatoon, Splatoon 2 is hyper as shit hell yeah. We didn't see much but the bit we have seen shown some interesting mechanical changes along with new special and gear. Its almost certain that Nintendo is going to try pushing Splatoo into the esports scene so lets hope that all the issues with the original Splatoon are fixed (random gear better not still be there) and maybe Splatoon might actually get somewhere.

Pay to Connect services are bad sounding at first but if this means improved online services and more importantly better servers then I'd be all for it
Squad Summary

Old 01-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #47
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

+ no region lock
+ its a console
- no miverse
- no streetpass
- paid online
- x1zillion: paid online is the barest an most basic they could offer. see: http://i.imgur.com/8AorVPc.png
- "free games" = 1 nes OR 1 snes game a month, for that month only. no keeping them as long as you're subscribed ala Live/PS+
- 32gb internal memory? lol
- micro sd support instead of sd support
- extremely expensive additional controllers
- for a "portable" it sure is huge
- 3 hour charge time~ enjoy charinging it longer than playing it
- non-removeable battery. it dies? send it back to nintendo & be w/o a Switch until they get it back to ya
- asymetrical analog sticks? eewwwwww!
? no d-pad
? 2 - 6 hour battery life

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
The naysayers are overreacting. I understand some of their concerns but... How short our memories are. Does nobody remember the AWFUL launch lineup that was the Wii? 3DS? Wii Sports and Twilight Princess carried the Wii so fucking hard and it still wound up being one of the best selling consoles in history with a decent library by the end of its life.
2 negatives dun make a positive. Just cause a buncha past systems, regardless of manufacturer & eventual success, had cruddy launch games dun mean we should handwave it away each time it happens.

Quote:
PS3 had a terrible launch too. My point is all of these systems wound up thriving very well, except for the er, well, Wii U - which mostly suffered from its god-awful marketing problems, which led to 3rd Parties bailing (as well as their own idiocy). The Switch is not going to have those problems.
3rd parties can't bail on the Switch if they're not onboard to begin with >.>

Quote:
I also imagine we will be getting a healthy amount of VC titles, too.
Gonna rebuy the same ol' ancient games for the 10th time? It'll still be a dripfeed since they've finally stolen netplay from emulators circa 2000. The cries of "well they gotta ensure perfect emulation an quality" will be rehashed for yet another generation lol.

Quote:
PS - If you are complaining about the Switch online service costing money, I sure hope you feel the same about its competitors.
This is how I feel:

R.I.P. online console/handheld gaming: 2000 - 2016 (or whenever PS3/3DS onlines go down for good). Dreamcast, PS2, GC, DS, PS3, PSP, 3DS will be my lifetime experience with online gaming. End of an era!

Quote:
If Nintendo is gonna charge though, this new online system better be robust and really nice, a la PSN+.
They're making ya doing chat/game lobbies through a smartphone and giving away a single 20-30 year old game a month (which will expire at the end of said month). Nothing about Cloud Saving either. Live/PS+ this is not.

Last edited by Lindz; 01-13-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:14 PM   #48
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
- no miverse
- no streetpass
It should be noted that the Switch has been stated before to deviate in a different direction from the 3DS. Just because the Switch is portable doesn't mean that Nintendo is going to add all the fun little device to device interaction that the 3DS has. If you want all that, buy a 3DS.
Quote:
- paid online
- x1zillion: paid online is the barest an most basic they could offer. see: http://i.imgur.com/8AorVPc.png
This doesn't really deserve such a negative recption. Nintendo's servers are known to be quite poor so a lot of things are going in the back end to improve the online experience that aren't clearly listed there (yes they should be clearly listed there though). Also we don't have a price. If the service is really so barebones there's a chance Nintendo won't change big $$$ for this service
Quote:
- "free games" = 1 nes OR 1 snes game a month, for that month only. no keeping them as long as you're subscribed ala Live/PS+
Free and temporary is still better than nothing at all. Most older games I can finish within a week to two weeks, so losing them after a month isn't that big a deal.
Squad Summary

Old 01-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #49
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
It should be noted that the Switch has been stated before to deviate in a different direction from the 3DS. Just because the Switch is portable doesn't mean that Nintendo is going to add all the fun little device to device interaction that the 3DS has. If you want all that, buy a 3DS.
Ya but usually when ya remove features new ones pop up in their place. Yet I see nothing new? Maybe even less since as ya said its not the same as the 3DS, so the music/photo playing/viewing stuff will prolly be gone to lol. While removing some things like BC and CD playback, MS & Sony both added streaming/sharing/screenshotting, even game sharing this gen. Nintendos mentioned nothing of the sort which is odd since streams often get plopped on youtube so they'd have a ton more videos they could copyright claim for $$$!

Quote:
This doesn't really deserve such a negative recption. Nintendo's servers are known to be quite poor so a lot of things are going in the back end to improve the online experience that aren't clearly listed there (yes they should be clearly listed there though).
Outside of Smash Brawl I never heard people complaining about playing DS/3DS/Rev/U games online. I myself never had trouble connecting online to play DS/3DS games in multi or just to poke around in their other online features like Style Savvy's online player shops. Nintendo WiFi Connection / Network always seemed nice an stable to me. What people do complain about is their atrocious online store design & interfaces!
Old 01-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #50
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Personally, I think the make-or-break point will be the online subscription cost. If it's pretty decent, like Bank charging you about a fiver a year, then fine. If you're having to shell out twenty quid a month (Or heavens forbid, pay-per-play), that shit can go fuck itself up the arse with a cricket bat wrapped in razor wire and covered in chilli oil.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games