Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #26
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner89 View Post
Inzektors and Wind-Ups.
I have no idea what those are and I don't ever care to know.

Just like when I found out they opted out of Fusion monsters for the newer, shinier Synchro cards. I only slightly understand what they do and I think it's just... it just shits all over my YGO youth, is what it does.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #27
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
My friends and I would often get into chains of trap cards. "I play Spell Card!" "Magic Jammer!" "Trap Jammer!" "Trap Jammer!" etc. Those were the days.

>Yata

Fuck that card. Coincidentally, I stopped playing shortly after spirit cards were introduced.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #28
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Talon, you have NO IDEA how right you are, as painful as it is to admit it. Yugioh is a VERY fast, broken game now. My deck forces you to start your first turn with only 2 cards in your hand(after drawing) and the other top deck right now destroys 2+ cards on the field every turn, while summoning 2500+ beaters every turn.

Although, the highest level fours are still 2000 ATK

Thanks Pengy!

Watching every episode of pokemon

Most Recent Episode: Se3 Ep133 - Fighting Flyer With Fire
Old 02-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #29
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I'm stuck in the past, I think, where the four-star elites were Vorse Raider and Gemini Elf. I can only imagine that, in an effort to get kids to keep buying cards, there are probably four-star monsters now that have stats like ATK 2500 DEF 2200 or ATK 3300 DEF 1700. Crazy shit that wouldn't have even qualified for 6-star status back in the day, it'd have been deemed too good.

My attitude is, "Let me just play you with my old school deck." But unlike with MtG where old school = most powerful school, I get the impression that with YGO there's probably crazy trap and monster shit I'd never have even dreamed they'd print that would make me rage pretty hard if you sprung it on me.

Talon: I swing with Vorse Raider and Summoned Skull.
Tuner: I block Summoned Skull with Pyero the Wicked. (ATK position, ATK 1700)
Talon: That's it?
Tuner: That's it.
Talon: Okay, then. Well I--
Tuner: TRAPSPLOSION!
Talon: Excuse me, what?
Tuner: It's the Trapsplosion phase.
Talon: "Trapsplosion phase"?
Tuner: Yeah, didn't they have Trapsplosions back in your day?
Talon: No, I thought you were just being silly.
Tuner: No, dude. It's Trapsplosion time.
Talon: So what happens.
Tuner:
Well, since you attacked Pyero the Wicked with a Fiend, that means I gain 3000 life points.
Talon: Huh!? Why?
Tuner: Because I activate my Trapsplosion card "PYERO'S FIENDISH DESSERTS!"
Talon: 'If your opponent attacked this turn and you blocked with Pyero the Wicked in attack position, you lose no life and instead gain 3000 life points.' What? That's bullcrap!
Tuner: Yeah, and it gets better. Check this out! "RELEASE THE KROOKEN!"
Talon: Release the
Krooken?
Tuner: Yeah, it's a reference to a monster from Forgotten Realms.
Talon: "Forgotten Realms"?
Tuner: *sigh* ...
Anyway, it says that all of your monsters die now.
Talon: What.
Tuner: And you lose life points equal to their attacks.
Talon:
Tuner: Squared.
Talon:
Tuner: Plus 200 more for every card that's still in your--
Talon: OKAY, OKAY, I GET IT. I LOST.
Tuner: Well geez, you don't have to be so crabby about it.

That about sums up my feelings on it. Fuck everything after the "Cybernetic Revolution" set, and even that is a stretch. Cyber Dragon was a great card, but OP. 4 stars, 2200 attack, can only be summoned if your opponent has one more monster than you (I think, may be wrong).

I still have my good deck somewhere, but last time I tried to find it (a few months ago), I failed horribly. I'd like to go through it and write out a list of what I used to share it with you guys for opinions...
Old 02-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #30
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I'm with you. Fuck this franchising of the XYZ Dragon Cannon into a whole slew of fucking monsters. It pissed me off almost as much as the "Elemental Hero" phase. No, it pissed me off more. It was stupid as fuck... When I found out about that I faceplamed hard.

I don't think you're dumb for using anti-meta, I think it's bold and unique.

I hated the Nurse decks. They were always OP, and when I got one, I tried to make a Nurse burn deck, but failed miserably because a. I lacked the cards necessary and b. didn't care enough. So I stashed it in my binder and never looked at it again.

I also tried a DD Chaos deck (loved warrior lady and Bazoo the Soul Eater. Also Dark Ruler Ha Des was fun).
*brofist*

I think it was what Tuner(?) said in the TO about them being pissed that I beat their Super-Brionic Lockdown deck with frickin' Gustas.

I was boss with a Nurse deck. "Gift Card" really made it good. I should really try to find that thing.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #31
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Talon, you have NO IDEA how right you are, as painful as it is to admit it. Yugioh is a VERY fast, broken game now. My deck forces you to start your first turn with only 2 cards in your hand(after drawing) and the other top deck right now destroys 2+ cards on the field every turn, while summoning 2500+ beaters every turn.

Although, the highest level fours are still 2000 ATK
As an old school duelist, fuck your deck and fuck Konami for making it possible. That sounds OP as fuck and I want no part in it.

I'd play again if I could play with the way it used to be, with the old cards only. I wouldn't want to even see any of the new cards. Like I said, YGO died to me after Cybernetic Revolution.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #32
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I haven't played in a long ass time. The last time I played was when playing Ulitmate Masters 2006. The deck I used was pretty cool. I covered the field in strong mages with a bunch of special summon abilities, so in one turn, I'd have 5 2300+ mages on the field. I forgot what I used to do so, though.

What's the most recent pure dueling by the rules handheld game for Yu-Gi-Oh? I might try to emulate that and see how the playing style has changed.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #33
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I hope someday in the future, Upper Deck and Konami enforce the "Play while riding on motorcycles" rule. That would make the games 1,000,000 times more awesome.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #34
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
As an old school duelist, fuck your deck and fuck Konami for making it possible.
You ever seen Glad. Beasts? They make old school players (like myself) angry about how retarded things have gotten. Remember when we could only summon from our hands? Fucking Glad. Beasts get to summon a new monster from the deck just for attacking. Gets really stupid really fast.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #35
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Most recent handheld is the DS game World Championships 2011, but that was released over a year ago and the game has COMPLETELY changed since then... if you want to play the game like it is now, waiting for a new game, or going on duelingnetwork.com is your best bet.

Thanks Pengy!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #36
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Yeah, this sounds like Vintage blue decks in MtG. With the right opening hand, the game is over on Turn 2.

Dunno why you'd even want to play such a game. Or how you're able to find others who would want to play with you. Is it really fun to you? Sounds pretty dreadful, to be quite honest. I wouldn't mind playing Deoxys in an old school block (and I'd still probably get my ass handed to me), but I don't think there's even any point in playing your deck if it's something that says, "Turn 1, you only have two cards in hand and it's only going to get worse from here." If I can't draw, I can't play. If I can't play, then fuck the game. At least in MtG, if a combo deck is going to shut down card draw, the victim at least has a good opportunity (3-4 turns minimum) to see it coming and maybe do something about it. This ... this just sounds like a waste of time.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #37
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
www.duelingnetwork.com

A heaven for free yugioh players, although most of the players are casual(which is perfect for what it sounds like you want)
Thanks for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos
My friends and I would often get into chains of trap cards. "I play Spell Card!" "Magic Jammer!" "Trap Jammer!" "Trap Jammer!" etc. Those were the days.
So, basically what I already said with Mystical Space Typhoon?

I actually might have to sig something with something called Mystical Space Typhoon. Memories...
Old 02-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #38
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusari View Post
You ever seen Glad. Beasts? They make old school players (like myself) angry about how retarded things have gotten. Remember when we could only summon from our hands? Fucking Glad. Beasts get to summon a new monster from the deck just for attacking. Gets really stupid really fast.
In the game as it is now, Gladiator Beasts are too slow and can't special summon enough to compete with current decks. They're now considered a "fun, nostalgic archetype" Although after every banlist they come back in the competitive world for about a month before dying down again

Thanks Pengy!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #39
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
No, I've never even heard of them, and what you said makes Konami literally Hitler.

I'm so frustrated I could just kick scream. /fluttershy

I think I want to live in my own world where YGO cards don't exist after GX series 1 and forget everything I know about Synchros and rule changes.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #40
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
So, basically what I already said with Mystical Space Typhoon?
A slew of Mystical Space Typhoons were included in those as well.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #41
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Quote:
Yeah, this sounds like Vintage blue decks in MtG. With the right opening hand, the game is over on Turn 2.

Dunno why you'd even want to play such a game. Or how you're able to find others who would want to play with you. Is it really fun to you? Sounds pretty dreadful, to be quite honest. I wouldn't mind playing Deoxys in an old school block (and I'd still probably get my ass handed to me), but I don't think there's even any point in playing your deck if it's something that says, "Turn 1, you only have two cards in hand and it's only going to get worse from here." If I can't draw, I can't play. If I can't play, then fuck the game. At least in MtG, if a combo deck is going to shut down card draw, the victim at least has a good opportunity (3-4 turns minimum) to see it coming and maybe do something about it. This ... this just sounds like a waste of time.
Yeah. We used to be able to throw our favorite cards together and have a working deck. Now you pick an archetype, get the cards you need and follow a specific pattern with said cards. Not much fun or originality anymore. Hence my hatred for most meta.

>In the game as it is now, Gladiator Beasts are too slow and can't special summon enough to compete with current decks. They're now considered a "fun, nostalgic archetype" Although after every banlist they come back in the competitive world for about a month before dying down again

*eye twitch* I fucking hate this new game.

Last edited by kusari; 02-18-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #42
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:

Well, it goes in phases. Every few months, the meta pans out and there are more options, and decks are forced to adapt and become less broken... We're just in the middle of a phase where 2-3 decks are out of control, and no one in the community(believe me) enjoys these phases, even when we're running the broken decks. We all stick around because we know that in a couple months it'll be better again, and theres no point sitting out in the mean time when there's money to be made.

Most of the allure of the game is the community. I play the game daily with my close friends, and go to tournaments 1-3 times a week. It really gives me something to do, and it's a great way to socialize, honestly. Along with that, yugioh is a GREAT way to make money. It requires SIGNIFICANT investment(I recently shelled out over $600 on my new deck) but if you play the market right and win tournaments you can make A LOT of cash. I have several friends who are paying for college through yugioh.

Thanks Pengy!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #43
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:

I agree, that doesn't sound fun at all. It just sounds like it boils down to whoever has the most OP cards in their deck, not strategy. I'd be down for an old school duel Talon, that would be refreshing. I don't think you'd get your ass handed to you, by the way, I haven't aged well with the game. I would have a very difficult time playing again without practice, even in 2007-2008 style rule sets.

I did get into MtG a few months ago because of some friends and because the guy at the local comic shop gave me four free Planeswalker decks. It's fun, but I began to sink money into it and stopped myself immediately from pursuing any further. Nowadays my friends and I will just bust out a huge box of cards and play 3 man EDH. Fun as hell, drinking makes it better.

Also, Tdos and phoopes, nothing quite like MSTing an MST that MST'd your other MST that was trying to stop _____, am I right?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #44
phoopes
Double Dragon

So I've signed up for that Dueling Network thing... now someone remind me how to play. I remember most of the basics, but it sounds like things have undergone a massive overhaul.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #45
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:

>In the game as it is now, Gladiator Beasts are too slow and can't special summon enough to compete with current decks. They're now considered a "fun, nostalgic archetype" Although after every banlist they come back in the competitive world for about a month before dying down again

*eye twitch* I fucking hate this new game.
What in the actual fuck?

Old 02-18-2012, 01:54 AM   #46
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

>Also, Tdos and phoopes, nothing quite like MSTing an MST that MST'd your other MST that was trying to stop _____, am I right?

Are there 3K MSTs?

>So I've signed up for that Dueling Network thing... now someone remind me how to play. I remember most of the basics, but it sounds like things have undergone a massive overhaul.

I might, just to see if I can get back into the swing of things. We can relearn together!
Old 02-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #47
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
So I've signed up for that Dueling Network thing... now someone remind me how to play. I remember most of the basics, but it sounds like things have undergone a massive overhaul.
http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/gameplay/
Old 02-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #48
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Archetypes can still be fun as you can grow attached to them and do everything you can to make that archetype or deck theme succesful despite all the new decks. For Example, one of my favorite archetypes is called Reptiliannes... They're terrible. Despite how bad they are, when I wanna play casually, I try to build them up so they can play competitively, as a challenge. Usually I do bad, but sometimes I win with them, and that's fun!

The other challenge is in finding NEW combos, which is really challenging. My friend had an idea for a deck using Elemental Heroes a few months ago, and gave the idea to one of our friends who made top 8 with the deck at Nationals. Completely original deck using cards he enjoyed, and now that deck is a big threat. It shows that anything is still viable.

One of the newest decks coming out soon runs Blue-eyes White Dragon and Curse of Dragon because of the need to summon normal dragon type monsters. I thought it was pretty cool

Thanks Pengy!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #49
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Unfortunately, Dueling network doesn't hold your hand AT ALL. the basics are that every turn you draw, then you summon a monster level 4 or under, set your trap cards, and play your magic cards. You attack your opponents monsters, and if your attack is higher, you win. if their monster was in attack mode, they take life point damage equal to the difference. if they don't have a monster, you can attack them directly for life point damage equal to your monster's attack. Other than that, it's all reading card effects... for the most part.

If you want, i can play some games with you and help you get into it, or I can answer any questions you have here, or in PM =)

Thanks Pengy!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #50
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Well, it goes in phases. Every few months, the meta pans out and there are more options, and decks are forced to adapt and become less broken... We're just in the middle of a phase where 2-3 decks are out of control, and no one in the community(believe me) enjoys these phases, even when we're running the broken decks. We all stick around because we know that in a couple months it'll be better again, and theres no point sitting out in the mean time when there's money to be made.

Most of the allure of the game is the community. I play the game daily with my close friends, and go to tournaments 1-3 times a week. It really gives me something to do, and it's a great way to socialize, honestly. Along with that, yugioh is a GREAT way to make money. It requires SIGNIFICANT investment(I recently shelled out over $600 on my new deck) but if you play the market right and win tournaments you can make A LOT of cash. I have several friends who are paying for college through yugioh.
This is true, unfortunately none of the tourneys I won ever gave cash prizes, just cards and equipment =/

My best friend's brother is the Dragon Ball Z CCG 2004 World Champion, won $5000 from upperdeck + every card ever, got through college with it, I believe. Crazy shit. Coincidentally, he's also won Pokemon game championships, too. EVs/IV trains like a fucking maniac.

Wish I had named this thread "CARDGAMES ON MOTORBIKES" or "A CHILDREN'S CARD GAME"

in america

Last edited by deoxys; 02-18-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment