UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 12-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #51
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

HnnnngNoYouMustNotStartWithoutMeeeeee

Damn I need to get home so I can start. Shame I still have a meeting to get through first. ;_;
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #52
Talon87
時の彼方へ

S.S. Anne:

So, after finishing up with all of the electricians and gamblers to the east of Vermillion, I decide to board the S.S. Anne, curious as to whether or not my Chibi Sanae will evolve before her showdown with Surge or not. There was one trainer aboard the ship who had a Yuuka. His comments, and her follow-up, were amusing. (1 2 3) There was another trainer on board who had sighted one of my #1 wants for my team, Hijiri Byakuren. IIRC this scene was originally for Articuno? (1 2 3) But, as I'll explain later on, I know for a fact that Byakuren isn't the replacement for Articuno in this game. So this just goes to show you that not all of the changes in TPPE line up 1:1 with the original games. There's been a lot of interesting fusions which keep Story Mode surprising for seasoned Pokémon veterans. (EDIT: Blaze points out it was for Snorlax, not Articuno, ... but since Snorlax has been replaced by Yakumo Yukari in this game , my point still stands.)

Anyway, eventually I make my way to Renko and defeat her, her team way stronger than my pixies but just barely weak enough that my Chibi Sanae can, for the most part, overcome anything she throws my way. The conversation had a bit of broken English in it -- there's been quite a bit of that, actually, I just haven't mentioned it before now -- which is an admitted consequence, I suspect, of the fan translator's limited grasp of our tongue. But it's not the end of the world and we press on towards the Captain's chambers. Maribel rubs his back and soon enough he's feeling well again, giving Maribel HM01 since he has to attend to his ship's duties as captain and regrets he won't have time to demonstrate his swordsmanship prowess for her.

my team immediately before fighting Lt. Surge (following the defeat of his gym's three trainers)

So I leave the ship, it sets sail (you guys know the drill), I withdraw Momiji from the PC, I teach her Cut, and it's off to Lt. Surge's gym. I'm excited: Chibi Sanae, Chibi Sunnymilk, and Chibi Lunachild are all within reach of evolving. As I fight the three trainers in the gym, being sure to allocate the enemy EVs to the appropriate recipients, it becomes clear to me that Sunny and Luna probably won't evolve until after the gym match. Sanae, on the other hand ...

Lt. Surge:

My fight with Lt. Surge was pleasantly easy but with moderate challenge, particularly in the end. Surge has three Pokémon, and we'll look at them in turn in the spoiler box below.

Spoiler: show
Lunachild:

Surge hits the ground running by sending out Luna Child, a fully-evolved fairy with a base stat total of 480 and a specific build of 100 SpAtk 130 Speed. Nice. This was my first time seeing a Lunachild in action (not counting when I was looking things up in the Touhou Wiki's 1.8 Pokédex) and it made me all the more excited to have one of my very own. Luna is Wind/Nature, analogous to Electric/Grass in the real games. Pretty sweet typing flavor-wise.

The very first thing Luna led off with was Double Team. "Ouch," I'd normally say, ... but for the fact that my Chibi Sanae led off with her MVP move, Decision. (The Faith-typed Shock Wave. Can't miss. )

Luna then turned to offense, trying for her powerful Shock Wave. Unfortunately for her, the Faith type resists the Wind type (I've no idea why ), and she only dealt Chibi Sanae 5 HP worth of damage. A second Decision was all it took to knock out Surge's first Touhoumon.

Chibi Iku:

Lt. Surge's second Touhoumon is none other than Chibi Iku, the pre-evolved form of Nagae Iku, the oarfish youkai who serves Hinanawi Tenshi. Naturally she would be an Electric type, so since the Electric type was consumed by the creation of the Wind type in this game, so too does Iku find herself being shuffled over into the Wind pile. Since Chibi Iku and Iku award SpAtk EVs, I called Chibi Sanae back and sent out Chibi Sunnymilk to see if she could handle the oarfish baby. My strategy was to lead off with Mud Slap, reducing Chibi Iku's accuracy, and to then either (1) run away but hopefully buy an ally a safe switch-in courtesy of accuracy hax or (2) stay put and try to get loads of EXP towards Sunny's own evolution. Well, it seemed to work at first as Chibi Iku fired back at me with a Thunder Wave which missed. She Thunder Waved me successfully on the second attempt but I managed to squeeze in another Mud Slap before that. Confident I could 3HKO the oarfish, I forgot two things. The first? A.I. Super Potions. -_-; The second? Shock Wave. Yeah, of course everyone would have Shock Wave, why wouldn't they? So my own attempts to fuck with the A.I.'s accuracy, attempts the A.I. has done to me so, so many a time, ended up failing just as gloriously on me as they do on the A.I. when I fire back with Decision. Sunny was 2HKOd and back out came Chibi Sanae to handle clean up plus Surge's final Pokémon. A single Decision did it (FUCK YEAH \o/), and so the Army lieutenant was forced to send out ...

Technician Iku:

Just to clarify the name real quick: "Technician" here doesn't mean the PokéAbility. It refers to what type of role the Pokémon fulfills on a team given its base stats, its movepool, etc. Technicians tend to be the ones who do things like reduce enemy accuracy, abuse Serene Grace with status effect moves, and so on. Technician Iku has a base stat total of 530 with an impressive 110 in Special Attack. And here I am confronting it with my Chikorita. (A Chikorita admittedly with a base SpDef of 90 and a resistance to electricity but never you mind that! )

Nagae Iku is a personal favorite. She's beautiful. She's powerful. She's beautiful. If I weren't going for Team Shinto, I'd definitely be sorely tempted to catch and raise my own. Maybe some other time.

But anyway, what does Lt. Surge's Iku do? Well, one of her best moves is Thunderbolt. This was the first time I'd ever seen the move in the game, and it did decent damage to someone so high leveled and with an elemental resistance (~12 HP per hit, my total HP being 102). Obviously it'd be a much more frightening attack if I weren't so overleveled or if I didn't resist it.

More worrisome for me was TIku's second attack, Light Screen. This pretty much nerfed my team's chances to 3HKO or 4HKO her since my entire team right now is SpAtk-based. The A.I. used this very intelligently in our fight, much to my frustration.

To be honest, I'm having a hard time remembering TIku's other two moves right now ^^;, but that's because many of the turns in our match were spent not by her but by her trainer. Lt. Surge will spam Full Heal if ever you try and status TIku and Super Potion whenever she goes into the low red. In the end, I had to beat her by lowering her to the upper yellow using Water Pulse and then clobbering her with a non-crit Decision which did around 35% HP damage to her.

Once I defeated Surge, it was time to ... huh?

HELL YEAH! Chibi Sanae, in truly epic fashion, gained enough experience points from the gym battle with Lt. Surge to reach Level 36 and evolve into ... Sanae!

A quick comparison with Chibi Sanae's stats (picture taken immediately before challenging Surge) confirms that the growth is modest. I think this is because the pre-evos are already plenty strong (90 base SpDef!? ^^; ). But I definitely noticed the difference right away: Chibi Sunnymilk, my second strongest Touhou on the team, had a Special Attack that was only in the lower 40s at the time. And here was Sanae with her SpAtk of 72. I can't describe how surreal this is. On Christmas Day 1998, my Bulbasaur evolved into an Ivysaur in Vermillion City and I thought it strange that he was already evolving. To this day it still feels weird to me. But now, here I am fourteen years later playing roughly the same game, and I have a Venusaur already. A Level 36 evolution with a BST in the 500s and it's mine before I've even left the third gym badge's city. Crazy.

But leave it I had to, for there was nothing left to do here for now. I headed back north and was reminded by a helpful aide of Professor Oak's to go and use the Diglett Yamame Cave now rather than later so I could procure HM05 Flash. So I did that. Then I used Momiji to cut down trees and return to Pewter City's museum so I could get the Old Amber. I went back through the Diglett Yamame Cave to Vermillion and headed back north to the Daycare. There I checked in on a Level 10 Lily White who I had dropped off just for kicks. She was already at Level 21 so I decided "Let's get Sunnymilk and Lunachild to evolve as we make our way towards the Dark Cave and while we're at it we'll get the Daycare to raise Lily a few more levels and get her to evolve too." So I did exactly that. First Sunny ...

And then Luna ...

And finally Lily White.

Sorry, no animated gif for you, girl. ^^;

Pushed my way east, caught a Timid Chibi Cirno while I was at it (HELL YEAH ... although neither "Timid" nor "Modest" describe Cirno in the slightest ^^; ), and right now I'm saved south of the Dark Cave while I try and figure out who I am going to teach Flash to since, despite these guys having tried their best to make it a nicer move, it's still not something I want to teach to any of my permanent guys, including my starter -- who is the only one on the team right now who can learn it. -_-; Flash is now a 65 base power Faith-type move with 90% accuracy and 15 PP. If it dealt a bit more damage, had a bit more PP, and/or was 100% accurate, I'd probably be happy to teach it to Sanae. But as it is, Decision is a really great move since it's always guaranteed to hit. And this A.I. is in love with accuracy-lowering moves. In fact ...

Why Sanae is a Hiker's Worst Enemy:

1) Water Pulse + Serene Grace

2) STAB Never-Miss attack with base power of 60

They can Sand Attack, they can Minimize, they can do whatever the hell they want: I ain't missing. Usually they go down in just one hit from Water Pulse too but that particularly Chibi Suika was quite SpDef sturdy. Fourteen levels lower than me, weak to the attack I'm using, attack has base power of 60, I have pretty decent SpAtk, I'm evolved, you're unevolved, and yet you still don't get OHKOd? My respect, little one. My respect.

Last edited by Talon87; 12-04-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #53
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
So, as is my new goal in every game, is to raise all the Pokes to the Gym Leader's level.

And then my heart sank when I saw it was 17.

Before Route 4, it is difficult as hell to get any experience, because you still find level 3 Pokemon. It makes me sadface. But, here is my party right now, spoilered for space.

Study: CTokiko (Pink Energy)
Lv. 12
Flying
Gentle Nature
Limber
-Peck
-Sand-Attack
-Quick Attack
-Stomp

Despite the descript saying that it may flinch, Stomp actually paralyzes! And Flying + Beast is a really good offensive combination at this point.

Lily: CSanae (Pink Energy)
Lv. 12
Faith
Bashful Nature
Serene Grace
-Pound
-Growl
-Gust

The bulkiest member of my team. This may change because on Mt. Moon, there are Chibi's with base stats in the 115s! That is scary. Too bad you can't trade her yet. Base 180 defense sounds amazing.

Bugsy: CWriggle (Blue Energy)
Lv. 12
Nature
Quirky Nature
Overgrow (>_>)
-Tackle
-Growl
-Quick Attack
-Faint Attack

Physical sweeper...kinda. Doesn't learn a STAB move until he is in the twenties, but he once he gets Needle Arm I WILL DEFEAT MISTY~~~~!!!!

Shine: CSunnymilk (Blue Energy)
Lv. 12
Fire
Sassy Nature(>_>)
Vital Spirit
-Tackle
-Swagger
-Ember
-Mud-Slap

A really good poke, one of my favorite of the sweeper fairies. Mud-Slap plus Ember is really good, plus Tackle and Swagger for the lolz is really nice.

Claire: CLuna Child (Pink Energy)
Lv. 12
Wind
Quirky Nature
Pick-Up (She looks like a maid, so this is kinda offensive.....)
-Scratch
-Torment
-ThunderShock
-ThunderWave

In a world where you have no sleepers.....go with Thunder Wave. Not as good coverage though as Shine. PICK UP IS THE BEST ABILITY EVAH!!!!

Mouser: CNazrin (Pink Energy)
Lv. 12
Beast
Hasty Nature
Pick-Up (makes complete sense since she is a dowser[I do my research :P])
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Thief
-Mud-Slap

Thief....I have 22 Green UFO's. What do you do with those? I saw a picture that showed them being traded for five Rare candies...unless it is the other way around. IDK, but I'm keeping them anyways.

LEVEL 17 AGOGO!

My CNazrin just picked up TM 10, Poison Jab. Who am I going to teach that to....?

Actually, that wasn't as hard as I thought. Only Bugsy could learn it. It works out well to: Bugsy resists Water AND Poison Jab is an 80 power Miasma move, which SLAMS Water types.

Talon:Lucky bastard.
Me: :>

Last edited by Emi; 12-04-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #54
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Speaking of Green UFOs, a friendly reminder: click on all boulders which stand out from their surroundings, all open areas in the middle of a patch of grass, all clumps of grass in the middle of a clearing, etc. Just as in the real games, you'll often times come up empty, but occasionally there are hidden items there. Since you don't get the Itemfinder until Vermillion, and since you really don't want to have to do Mt. Moon over again (do you?), get it right the first time and click on curious depressions, juttings out, and so on. For example, I think a rare candy is in ...

the flowerbed north of the homes on the very northwest corner of Cerulean.

By doing this, I've gotten a few rare candies, one or two UFOs (I think just one), an ether, a Super Potion, etc. It's the pretty usual stuff, I realize, but the UFO is interesting as it tells us that at least some things have either been planted by the hack writer or else altered from different items planted in the original game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
My CNazrin just picked up TM 10, Poison Jab. Who am I going to teach that to....?
If you're anything like me, you'll just wind up pointlessly holding onto it. However, if you're clever, less paranoid, and in a pinch for cash, you can sell it. IIRC each TM10 sells for 5,000 Pokédollars. That's a pretty sum of cash, especially early on in the game when you're pinching pennies just to be able to afford the bare necessities. I have five of these TMs right now, so that could be $25,000 if I wanted ... but I'm also at a point in the game where, owing to my natural stinginess and minimalist approach to using items, I've already got over $30,000. ^^;

Someone on AichiyaSanae's weblog did mention that he taught it to his Wriggle Nightbug though and that he proceeded to rape everything. Not sure if Wriggle gets STAB off of it too or what. (Unsure of Wriggle's typing, unsure of Poison Jab's typing. I would assume Poison Jab is Miasma and that Wriggle Nightbug is not but I could be wrong.)
Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #55
Talon87
時の彼方へ

All this talk of Touhous and looking for pictures to clarify various points has resulted in my scouring Pixiv for some new finds. Disclaimer: you'll need a Pixiv account to be able to see any of these pictures at their full resolution.

Tonight's featured pictures are provided courtesy of シーラカンヌ. You can load up the pages for the original sizes by clicking on the pictures above. Be warned though that the images are quite large in their original format and size (larger than 4 MB per file) and will likely take a while to load.

On the left, we have the Moriya Shrine maiden, Kochiya Sanae, seemingly physically possessed in some sort of Moriya ritual. Above her and to our left stands Yasaka Kanako; above and to the right sits Moriya Suwako; and above and in the center ... I have to admit I'm not quite sure who that's supposed to be. Perhaps bbb knows the answer.

On the right, we have Kirisame Marisa, Gensokyo's witch extraordinaire, at the bottom of the nuclear reactor core powered by Reiuji Utsuho (seen above).

Some other pictures I found and thought worth sharing:
Nagae Iku (large!)
Saigyouji Yuyuko
Hakurei Reimu and Kochiya Sanae
Hakurei Reimu and Kochiya Sanae again
Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #56
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

To answer Kindaria's questions:

1) No. I never really encountered any Touhou characters until playing my first Touhou game, IaMP. I saw talk about it, but since the name Touhou was foreign to me, I never touched anything with that name.

2) It's probably an even split between Patchy and Youmu. I first started with Youmu when playing IaMP, and kinda grew attached to her since she was the first Touhou character I played as. Patchy I just kinda gradually grew to like as I saw more fanart of her. Sariel is a close third. Sadly Sariel never gets any attention since she's only in the first game. Though her theme is cool as hell (the touhoumon remix of her theme is effing great). Marisa, Suwako, and Yuyu are cool as well.

Onto Touhoumon 1.8. I should probably check out the version you're all playing. The version I played was in full Japanese, so I was mostly blind to anything anyone said. Actually the only reason I could get by was because I played first gen Pokemon so many damn times, and had most of the game memorized.

One of the biggest treats to me is the remixed themes. The evolution theme, the gym battle theme, the Lavender Town theme, and the "Mewtwo" theme all kick so much ass. It also balances the types better and is more difficult than Pokemon.

I think I started with Alice and made a Marisa's harem team. You know, Patchy, Alice, Marisa, Nitori, Flanny, and someone unrelated (I couldn't get Raymoo, since I had to choose between her and Marisa).
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #57
Talon87
時の彼方へ

We're playing Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced v.1.11.

Seven Island spoiler:
See the next spoiler box.

TM spoiler:
I was agonizing over deleting Sanae's Decision (which I think I am going to do) and this led me to search for information on unlimited TMs or something. Well, Aichiya thought of everything, it seems, if this user commenter is to be believed.

Quote:
Talking with the sign in the trainer tower on 7 island lets you buy every TM i believe, there’s also a shop in lotus land if you’re that far.
Source

A later commenter goes into further detail about the mentioned Lotus Land. I skipped over most of it 'cause I'd like to experience the joy of reaching such a wondrous place for myself, but suffice to say that this place sounds like the original Join Avenue, if you catch my drift. Which is very, very nice!

Game's killing me by holding out on a strong Wind move for Sanae for so long.

(Sanae Lv.40 and Lv.56 comments)
Twister, why you gotta be base 40 power too? T_T

But Aeroblast sure does look promising with Serene Grace.

Though I wonder if I'd be better off with Thunder (huge paralysis chance) + Extrasensory (super flinch chance) instead? Decisions, decisions.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 AM   #58
Emi

Wait a minute, Serene Grace boosts critical hit rates?

Actually, no. Sheer Force has no effect on Stone Edge, since critical hits aren't considered special effects. I just remembered that.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #59
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Aw poo. Was hoping there'd be a better justification for using an awesome, normally-Lugia-only move like Aeroblast instead of a dime-a-dozen move like Thunder; but given Serene Grace, I think I'd be crazy not to go for ParaFlinch. Can you imagine if Togekiss could learn Thunder in place of Thunder Wave!? That's what this is. I still have a 60% chance of paralyzing you ... and I do 120 base damage. And in Sanae's case it's STABbed. Man.

Aeroblast:

*will probably still use Aeroblast because c'mon man it's friggin' Aeroblast*
*will just breed a second Sanae, make her Modest, have her evolve into ASanae, and Rain Dance / Thunder / Hydro Pump / Extrasensory all the things*

Still stuck at the mouth of the Rock Tunnel. Still can't decide whether to delete Decision (and maintain four elements) or Razor Wind (and have 35 PP worth of powerful STAB Faith). Probably will delete Razor Wind because 1) it's Decision minus the STAB and 2) Flying only super effectively hits Beast and Nature, and I already have Beast covered with Water Pulse. Yep: definitely axing Razor Wind. Sorry, guy. =\
Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #60
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Can you imagine if Togekiss could learn Thunder in place of Thunder Wave!?
Soooooo....a worse Jirachi? *shot repeatedly* (In regards to Togekiss, not Sanae)

Anyways...^^; Got most of my Boneka to Level 17, just raising my Chibi Daiyousei and my Chibi Star Sapphire(who I hope learns what she wants to be instead of the awkward bulky wall special sweeper thing she is now, her stats are so ambiguous).

Also, if you want to know how pick-Up works in this game, Serebii is here to save the day!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #61
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Also, if you want to know how pick-Up works in this game, Serebii is here to save the day!
Did not realize that Pick Up was so shitty limited in FRLG. Good to know, and suddenly I don't feel quite so bad about Lunachild losing Pick Up for {spoiler} or about contemplating dropping Chen off in my PC since I have no plans to have her be on my final team, desperate for a physical sweeper though I may be.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Somebody mentioned Kaguya to me via PM and I figured I may as well post this here. (bbb, please feel free to chime in with corrections, additions, whatever. )

Houraisan Kaguya is a very famous Touhou. She is the Stage 6 (standard final) boss of the 8th main series game, Imperishable Night, and is based off of the character Kaguya-hime (Princess Kaguya) in the ancient Japanese tale Taketori Monogatari, "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter." It's essentially a Japanese version of Tom Thumb but the story, which dates back to at least the 10th century A.D., demonstrates how the Japanese at the time already had such a strong cultural connection with the Moon and it furthered that connection over the next thousand years. You can read more about it if you like in the Wiki article. Suffice to say, ZUN took inspiration from a combination of Eastern folklore about the Moon, Western folklore, and 20th century world history (read: lunar landings) in concocting the story of Imperishable Night and its characters. Kaguya, as a princess of the Lunarians, is lord over most of the characters seen in Imperishable Night. These include Eirin (her attendant) and Reisen (her pet).

Some four or five years ago, the Japanese launched their first Kaguya rocket to the Moon, so named because of the legendary Kaguya-hime. The fanart above is a personal favorite which was produced around that time when the Kaguya rocket was making headlines.

Some additional Kaguya fanart I just pulled up via this one Tumblr:
Kaguya and Mokou (these two have a bitter enmity that goes way back ... but they share a cursed existence which has sort of resulted in them becoming friends? Depends on the particular fan's headcanon)
Kaguya
Kaguya
Kaguya
Kaguya
Old 12-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #62
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Dunno why I didn't post this before going to sleep last night. Ah, well. From teh beginning to just before the first forest.

And so, I begin my journey into this fantastic fusion world.

Soon enough, my first roadblock presents itself- A name.

I MADE IT UP, IT CAN BE GENDER NEUTRAL IF I WANT
Let's say it's pronounced 'keen' when a girl's name. Yeah let's go with that.

My first thought is 'Thank god I'm playing with headphones on'. As espected of a Touhou fangame, loving the music already, and, as a Pokemon fangame, this is an unbelievable treat. Anyway, I withdraw my standard-issue Potion, and it is time to begin.

The books on the shelf being Boneka books was expected, but THIS. This was a surprise.

And then I changed an option setting I had only fiddled with without results before and suddenly EVERYTHING'S BETTER WITH STEREO. But, anyway, the starters are the important part.

First, I consider going with Sanae. "Hey," I think, "then we'll all be facing the same challenges, which makes it a more equal playing feild!" Eh. I now consider it a possibility, but continue to look at my other choices.

Did I just say it was a possibility? I take it back. I take it all back. Reisen?! Okay, that's a lie. I'm still stuck between "OMFG BADASS REISEN" and "DAWWW SANAE". "Eh," I continue to (stupidly) think, "May as well check out the last one."

ALICE?! You've got to be kidding me. Suddenly this is impossible. Especially since Alice is (kinda) the closest to the 'Fairy' theme I was thinking of going with (WE WILL BE THE STROOOONGEST). Uuuuuuuugh.

Much angsting later, I finally decide on this dear.

Upon seeing her type, I'm reminded that I was going to go with Heart after finding out the starting trinity, but I'm happy with what I've got. Dat ability is pretty damn broke, too.
Of course, my rival IMMEDIATELY takes the other one I was seriously eyeing up. Urg.
AND THEN EPIC RIVAL THEME AND EVERYTHING WAS FORGIVEN.

If you knew the guy I named Renko after, you would be rofling so hard right now.

I have to say, when I glimpsed the Yin-Yang symbols on the options while setting my trainer name, I wondered what they had been put in for. And, let me say, this is genius, replacing genders with Yin-or-Yang affiliations. Very cool.
Anyway, the fight was closer than I imagined, with Reisen proving to be quite offensively powerful. Anyways, this is pretty much one of my stupidity-induced blind runs, so let's see how this goes. From my Alice's current stats, she appears to be a tank of sorts, with high SpAtk and defenses, yet noticably low speed. Eh, makes sense, I suppose. She did teleport more than move in that battle... But I digress. However, I will be using Talon's EV chart for choosing grinding zones. Yes, grinding zones. Since this game apparently requires grinding. AND EVs, judging from how Talon's been faring. Ah, well. Here we go.

Route 1, and the music remains badass. This is glorious. Route 1 Nazrin and Chen, I presume?

Yep, and...

ENOPE. Well. Ah, yes, Kanto does have fliers on route 1, doesn't it? Shame, was looking forwards to maybemaybe using Chen. The VS Wild music is absolutely stunning, but what else is new? Try to avoid EXP to make catching 'mon when I get Pokeballs easier.
Wait, what's that? Tokiko gives HP EVs? Oh. Nevermind, abort old plan.
Oh, yeah. The music house was a nice touch.

Ah, yes. Was curious about what the catepillar guy said, and...

Very cool.

>Image I was too shocked to screenshot goes here<
Easy Balls? I think this takes the Meme Density to an entire new level. I cannot believe they actually managed to incorporate the famous advice into the capturing system! Ah, well. This is going to be fun.

So. Found this on a wild CNazrin. The mystery deepends. Attempts to use the item fail with the standard Key Item message. Possibly something you can trade later for dat newfangled alien Touhou? That would be awesome, actually. Kinda like Porygon. But that carries it's own set of questions with it...

And, so here I am, minding my own buisness, grining in front of the forest entrance against the same old same old, when suddenly...

OMFG FIRST FAIRY GET?!
Not even going to wonder about the lack of 'C' prefix.
...So. Her stats seem to portray her as some sort of special sweeper. Let's see how this goes!

EDIT: There we go. All fixed.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.

Last edited by Kindrindra; 12-05-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #63
Emi

Chibi Daiyousei is pretty poor, unfortunately Kin.

Also....

It's...Omanabuto? *shot* (It's a joke. ^^;)

Beat Brock, recorded the video, and will post when I finally decide to make a Youtube account.

Last edited by Emi; 12-05-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #64
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Admittedly it would've been interesting had we each chosen a different starter, but I'm all for everyone picking what he personally most wants, and it seems like we did that. Or at least two of us did. ^^; (I'm sure Sanae has grown on Blaze but his original post did make it sound like he regretted not picking Reisen. ^^; She is quite the character, after all!) I hope you enjoy Alice. While for me personally there's no way she could compete with Sanae or Reisen, I know loads of people love her to pieces, she's pretty darn old school, and that broken-in-the-early-game Rough Skin ability. >_< (Actually, I just looked her up to see if she loses it when she evolves and ... it turns out Alice has two abilities. O_o One is the Rough Skin one, called Doll Wall, but the other is one called Barrier. Not sure what it does but I imagine it boosts defense.) Alice's basic evolution's stats are pretty nice too. Not sure why she gets so many elemental punches and Swords Dance though when her build favors SpAtk over Atk but whatever. We'll see how you use her.

The reason Chibi Daiyousei doesn't have a C in front of her name is because they went and simply called her Yousei. Daiyousei means "Big Fairy," yousei means "fairy." So rather than say "Chibi Big Fairy", they went with "Fairy."

Your pictures seem quite a bit darker than mine. I wonder why that is. Perhaps a difference in emulator settings.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #65
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

So I started on this and chose Reisen this time. I still think Marisa, Raymoo, and Sakuya/Sanae make more sense as starter choices.

I had a bit of difficulty against Brock. I had to get Reisen up to lv 18, where she learned mirror shot before she could do any decent damage against Yuugi. I also had to rely on the luck of confuse ray, because karate chop nearly one-shots her.

I'm at Cerulean City, but I haven't found a good secondary team member yet. I might go with an Imperishable Night theme, I might not. Though I might not since I missed catching Tewi.

Also I wonder why they changed the Gym Leader theme. The original one was a bit of a mess, but still cool as hell. Youmu's theme doesn't really fit.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #66
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
So I started on this and chose Reisen this time. I still think Marisa, Raymoo, and Sakuya/Sanae make more sense as starter choices.
I agree that those three make more sense. ^^; I'm not really sure of it myself why Reimu and Marisa were relegated to fossil duty while Reisen and Alice were promoted to the position of starters. (Particularly Reisen. Much as I personally love her, the one and only time Reisen's ever shown up as a playable character in the danmaku games has been Phantasmagoria of Flower View, no?) But as present (Youmu) and past (Sakuya) games have shown us, the starting line up is always subject to change with the only exceptions of Reimu and Marisa. Even Sanae's time in the starting lineup may be limited. (Though I've definitely loved having her along these past two games.)

One possible (though doubtful) answer I can think of would be that they made Reimu and Marisa stronger in Touhoumon 1.8 (better movepools, BSTs, and/or stat distros) because fans felt that they were too weak, but this presented Story Mode problems if they were allowed to remain put as starters. (Sanae is fine because the way she is built w/o stone evolutions is like a Meganium. But Reimu, who is more balanced, and Marisa, who I'm guessing is probably more SpAtk sweepy, could've presented problems.) But this doesn't seem to hold up when you look at the data. Compare:
  • 1.5 EX Reimu vs. 1.8 Reimu.
    • 1.8 Reimu is less evolved ...
    • ... yet has better typing (Faith/Flying > Normal/Flying)
    • ... and a slightly better BST (550 > 540)
    • so, this supports the theory
  • 1.5 EX Marisa vs. 1.8 Marisa
    • This time their BSTs are equal ...
    • ... and I actually think EX Marisa has a pretty good typing (Electric/Fire), though 1.8 Marisa does too (Wind/Reason, which is like Electric/Psychic sort of) ...
    • ... not to mention EX Marisa has the more potent stat distro for Story Mode (125 SpAtk 100 Speed vs. 1.8 Marisa's 115 SpAtk 115 Speed)
    • so, this seems to refute the theory
So I dunno. *shrug* Only way to know, I suspect, would be to ask the person who made Touhoumon 1.8 as well as AichiyaSanae who then modded it to make Touhou Puppet Play Extended v.1.11.

TBH, I still don't know why they left the gyms, gym leaders, and city names intact. I mean, since I haven't played Kanto for myself since Summer 2006 I am enjoying it? Not gonna lie? But like, I think it'd have been cooler / more Touhou immersive if each of the cities had been retooled to correspond to an area in Gensokyo and if each of the gym leaders had been replaced with the regional boss. (So like, Eientei would've been one of the areas and Kaguya naturally would've been the gym leader there.) Maybe that's something someone else will make one day. Maybe even one of you! ;o

Last edited by Talon87; 12-05-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #67
Emi

So, I made that Youtube account!

Here is the Gym Battle against Brock. CToriko is an amazing wall.
BORKED

I also fought the Rival for the Third time, and that was close. She is quite harder than Brock was. I lost Shine, my Chibi Sunnymilk, to a crit Aurora Beam, but i pulled a win, ironically with Chibi Sanae. That video is being uploaded now. >_>

BORKED

Last edited by Emi; 12-05-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #68
Talon87
時の彼方へ

How are you recording the videos? Does your emulator have video recording as a feature? Or are you using computer video recording software separate from the emulator?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #69
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
How are you recording the videos? Does your emulator have video recording as a feature? Or are you using computer video recording software separate from the emulator?
Visual Boy Advance can record videos.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #70
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh wow, that's what I got to play this. :o I should be doing that!

*instantly regrets not recording earlier fights*
*but it's okay 'cause I didn't know *

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #71
Emi

If you want to see my Rival battle video, just look above, I edited it in.

More importantly, though, I would like to talk about Chibi Keine.

Now, Talon WAS right. Most of the stone evolutions require the National Pokedex. However, Chibi Keine, most likely because of an oversight on the hackers, has its Attack Keine evolution in the Kanto Pokedex. So, if you have a Power Heart, feel free to use it. DDDDDDDDDDDD So happy right now. Base 130 Attack and 105 Speed is SOOOOO nice.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #72
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Interestingly, the physical/special split is bugged.

Because of the way the hex coding works, pinch abilities like Blaze and Swarm don't work, Hidden Power and Weather Ball's equivalent moves and whatnot are also glitched, having a base power of and doing 1-3 damage. Type boost items may also have no effect, while weather has no effect on boosting the power of their relative moves.

On a side note, there IS a touhoumon Emerald version with a fixed one, which I may try showing off here sometime in the near future. And tis a good thing that 1.8 mons are nowhere near as bad as 1.5's: That EX Marisa is effectively our current Blaziken with Speed Boost, and STAB fire/electric moves have insane coverage, especially in weather. It also gets fucking Spore. Yes, that Spore.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #73
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakittenyfool View Post
Interestingly, the physical/special split is bugged.

Because of the way the hex coding works, pinch abilities like Blaze and Swarm don't work, Hidden Power and Weather Ball's equivalent moves and whatnot are also glitched, having a base power of and doing 1-3 damage. Type boost items may also have no effect, while weather has no effect on boosting the power of their relative moves.

On a side note, there IS a touhoumon Emerald version with a fixed one, which I may try showing off here sometime in the near future. And tis a good thing that 1.8 mons are nowhere near as bad as 1.5's: That EX Marisa is effectively our current Blaziken with Speed Boost, and STAB fire/electric moves have insane coverage, especially in weather. It also gets fucking Spore. Yes, that Spore.
Well, everything except weather is rather inconsequential, and Hidden Power isn't even a TM anymore so it isn't too limiting, but it is nice to know!

Also, found out something else interesting. If you use a Power Heart on a AKiene, it will evolve again...into a normal Kiene. Interesting.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #74
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Chibi Daiyousei is pretty poor, unfortunately Kin.
Checked Touhoudex to try and refute this.

Eh, she's cute, I dun care if she isn't particularly good.

But... Out of curiosity, what's the full list of 'mon which can evolve by a method other than level before you get the national dex? Curious, especially since Daiyousei's stone evos have really cool stats (Defense form has 160 Special Defense?!). Not that having to go with the normal one would particularly discourage me- Very good speed, passable spAtk, and usable defenses.
Quote:
Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #75
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You can't do any stone evolutions until you get the NationalDex, meaning ...

You have to beat the Elite Four and have at least 60 Pokémon registered as captured/owned.

So just let 'em evolve when they want to evolve. Worry about ideal stages post-E4. Don't cancel evolution because Chibi Touhoumons don't learn any new moves past the level where they were supposed to level-evolve.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games