Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
HunterXHunter author's health

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEUglNkBfmc

Scary stuff
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:22 AM   #2
deoxys
Fog Badge

I might be remembering incorrectly but wasn't Yu Yu Hakusho's sudden and abrupt end so long ago due in part to health issues he was having?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
LOL.

Those comments are so cryptic, he could be joking or could be serious. A lot of the folks in HxH topics on other forums seem to think Togashi's illness is made up and he's just lazy, but I have no idea.

I will say that to these manga-ka, finishing the series isn't a huge priority for them. It's their vehicle to make money so it's not like they are mortified by the idea of an unfinished work. The author of Zero no Tsukaima, on his death bed, did the fans a favour by at least giving out the ending of the novel and having another person take up that vision. But Guin Saga had 30 years to finish and the author died before completion.

Not everyone is an Akira Toriyama who can coast on the sales of old works. Once you've made it into a Weekly, there's a strong incentive to stick in the Weekly.

And some guys, like Togashi, are too prideful to employ assistants. Togashi's art during his hiatus period of HxH was so bad because he did it by himself. Some blame illness, others blame the laziness.

But it's funny to me. Could be serious. I dunno.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pretty sure he did Yu Yu Hakusho by himself too, Doppel, but that work while being ten years older than HxH looks leagues better than what he turned in for the Chimera Ant arc. Hell, you don't even have to look that far back: you can just compare Chimera Ants with what he was turning in for Heavens Arena or Yorknew City.

I don't think Togashi's been perfectly healthy this entire time, but I suspect that his problems are a mix of physical and mental and that the mental components complicate the picture for fans trying to deduce what the hell is going on. For instance, fans long have mused that HxH goes on hiatus every time a new Dragon Quest game comes out. And like, I think that probably has an actual connection and isn't just a coincidence. I bet Togashi does put the manga down 'cause he wants to unwind and play the newest DoraQue. But like ... is he just being lazy? Are all of the theories about him being ill just made up? I don't think so. IIRC we have it in writing from his wife, Takeuchi Naoko, that her husband was ill during the Chimera Ant arc. IIRC we also have it in writing from somewhere else that he was hospitalized at one point -- and, again iirc, it was for the long haul, too, and not just an overnight stay.

Clearly he's a private enough man that he doesn't want to share with the world what's going on with him. Lord knows the interest is there, and must have reached him by now, and that he's had plenty of opportunities to broadcast his situation to a large audience. The fact that he's chosen not to do so even after all these years, it points to either privacy or else that he has nothing to show. And I know Doppel's musing that it's the latter, but I don't think it's that. I suspect it's the former, and that we won't know what happened to this guy until he either dies or permanently retires.

I wish him well.

I don't expect that we'll see the natural conclusion to HxH in Togashi's lifetime. Whatever his reasons and situation may be, the fact of the matter is that he is taking too long to tell the story he wants to tell. If HxH were a series of novels instead of a manga then perhaps we'd have the entire story by now. But clearly he wants to keep it a manga, so whatever. If we're lucky he'll have left end-game notes in the vault for his wife to divulge to the world once he passes. But I don't think we'll be luckier than that. I don't think he's going to miraculously finish Part II and III and IV and V when it took him over a decade to finish just Part I.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:34 AM   #5
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I will say that to these manga-ka, finishing the series isn't a huge priority for them. It's their vehicle to make money so it's not like they are mortified by the idea of an unfinished work.
This makes me despair for Nana which went on an abrupt hiatus at a very emotional time in the series. The author has been dropping hints and doing things in her old publications as sort of teasers for a return for the past couple of years now, but it's still entirely uncertain if there's ever going to be any resolution.

Despite the good reviews for HxH I've read, I've been hesitant to get into it because I'd really hate to get invested in something that has no hope of a proper ending.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:49 AM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Imagine a classical five-act play. Now imagine that each "act" is comprised of five books, each several hundred pages long and each detailing its own story. It wasn't obvious from the outset, but as you near the end of what I call "Part I" of Hunter x Hunter, everything comes into focus and it becomes very clear that everything we just watched fits within the classical formula of a five-act play for what a first act should be. Hunter x Hunter's scale, its scope, becomes very ... grand towards the end. You realize that everything you just watched is only the beginning of a much longer story. But because this "Act I" is comprised of multiple novels that each have their own rising action, climax, and resolution, it's not like you're left utterly hanging. And indeed, there are some pretty big questions that, beforehand, people would have thought of as "endgame questions" that do end up getting answered by the end of Part I. It's just that you realize that they were only ever endgame questions for Part I, all along, and not for the entire property.

I would say that you can enjoy Hunter x Hunter (the 2011 anime; can't speak for those who've started up the resumed manga) without feeling too crushed by how it ends. Yes, it leaves some questions unanswered. Yes, it ends on a cliffhanger of sorts. No, it does not end leaving you feeling unsatisfied or without resolution. I wouldn't compare it with reading Harry Potter books 1-4 and then having to stop. I wouldn't compare it with watching Fellowship of the Ring and then having to stop. It's more like ... I guess you could say it's more like reading The Hobbit and then having to stop? There's this entire universe out there, and so many unanswered questions, but The Hobbit is as much a self-contained tale as it is a prequel to The Lord of the Rings. I dunno. I've never read nor seen The Hobbit. Speaking from what I've heard others say of it. Of what I have seen ... ah, here's a good comparison. It's not like ending after Season 1 of Avatar: the Last Airbender. It is like ending after Season 1 of The Legend of Korra. If Korra S1 had been all there ever was, fans would've wanted to know more ... but you'd still have quite the bit of closure. The story could have ended there. You can clearly see the horizon which beckons you, but you could end the story here staying put on the patio.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime