UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction

Old 06-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The Transformation Challenge

I came upon this contest on DeviantArt.
Phase 1: Show us "who you are" transformed into "what you could be".

You get three panels to show us a three-stage progression into a radically different person or thing. Use the template. Any style. Any visual medium. Any tool, any machine. If you are shy, you can use an original character or object instead of yourself.

Three grand prize winners will be selected, their entries will be featured as a billboard on deviantART and Motherboard's website linking back to the artist's deviantART account. The winners will be flown, all expenses paid, to either Brooklyn, NY, Honolulu, HI, or Los Angeles, CA to collaborate with either Dash Shaw, Jasper Wong, or Jordan Crane in their studios and will each win a Microsoft Surface Pro 3.*.

*In order to qualify as a Grand Prize Winner, you must be able to travel between July 25th - August 1st to participate in the collaboration. Winners will be assigned to a specific city.

Time remaining in two-week entry period: 14 days 3 hours at time this post submitted

How to Enter:

Step 1: Download the three-panel template below and create your original entry using any static visual medium.

Step 2: Show us your transformation! Remember, it must be a three-stage progression that ends with you or your original character changing into a radically different person or thing submitted as a single .JPG or .PNG file fitting on the provided template.

Step 3: Enter your artwork into the contest by using the ENTER NOW button below. Your entry should include in the deviation description your answers to the questions asked below.

ENTER NOW

Give us answers about your creative process. What programs or tools did you use? Where did you find your inspiration for your entry? How long did it take to complete?

Three grand prize winners will receive ...
  • a Microsoft Surface Pro 3
  • $1,000 from deviantArt
  • All expenses paid trip to one of three locations: Brooklyn, NY, Honolulu, HI, or Los Angeles, CA to participate in Phase 2 and collaborate with a selected artist

Phase 2: For this challenge, the adventure continues beyond just physical prizes. The three grand prize finalists will be flown to one of the three artists studios to work alongside either Jasper Wong, Dash Shaw, or Jordan Crane on a collaborative project. We will document your journey for you and the world to see. The joint artworks produced from the collaboration will be featured on a page on deviantART sponsored by Microsoft and also on Motherboard.

Are you up for this quest?

Rules: THE TRANSFORMATION CHALLENGE BEGINS AT 12:00 AM PACIFIC TIME (PT) on JUNE 10TH, 2014 AND ENDS AT 11:59:59 PM (PT) on JUNE 24, 2014.

Entrants may enter as many entries as they like however duplicate entries are not allowed.

Entrants must be at least 18 years old as of June 10, 2014.

Entrant may reside anywhere in the world.

Entries must be received by 11:59:59 PM (PT) on June 24th, 2014 and be submitted through the contest gallery on deviantART.

Membership to www.deviantART.com is required to enter the Contest. Membership to www.deviantART.com is free.

Entry must be submitted at the Contest Site as a single .JPG or .PNG file using the provided template without resizing.

Entry must feature yourself or an original character or object. Third party characters are not allowed.

Read the Official Rules carefully.

Judging Critera: 25 semi-finalists will be selected by full-time deviantART staff. From the semi-finalists, the VICE and Microsoft judges will select three grand prize winners which will be posted on deviantART.

Judges will review the entrant's description of his or her creative process and will use the following criteria in whatever degree they feel appropriate:
  • Technical and Artist Skill
  • Effective Presentation of the Progression into a Radically Different Person or Thing
  • Originality
I figured I would be remiss if I didn't bring this to our community's attention. We have many talented artists and aspiring artists here. I'm not sure how often deviantArt hosts tournaments, to what extent this one is legit, etc, but it seems like a pretty cool chance to win an all-expenses-paid trip, a cash prize, and a 2-in-1 drawing tablet and computer. Even if you don't win the grand prize, this still seems like a fun exercise. And if people want to, once the deadline for Phase 1 passes you can even post your submissions here and everyone can enjoy discussing them.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Not my work and >3 panels.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

xfd those panels

Anyway, this contest sounds really interesting! I may give it a shot, if I'm not swamped by tests and quizzes :<

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Heather
Naga's Voice

>must be at least 18

That's ok, I knew I wasn't going to win but...really? Come on, now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:07 AM   #5
Chalis
Activating Rampage

Awwww... I'm a decent artist, but I'm not 18 yet. My brother could do this, he's an awesome artist!

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
Heather
Naga's Voice

My sister could legitimately enter in this, she's 19 and a wonderful artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction