UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Pacific Rim, a movie starring GLaDOS and Giant Mecha Power Ranger Master Chief

BORKED

I don't think I need to say "Title says all".

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
phoopes
Double Dragon

Godzilla and friends vs. a bunch of Mechagodzillas? Looks pretty awesome to me.

Also, that sounds dead-on to GLaDOS. Same voice actor or just really similar?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

Same voice actor, Ellen McLain. Also found this little quote from Guillermo Del Toro from a year ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
I'm right now playing Portal 2. It's a great puzzle game, and it's really good because it travels with me. I've been traveling so much between location in Los Angeles and Canada that we the Xbox either in the house in LA or the house in Toronto. I'm incredibly happy with Portal 2 because it's really fun puzzle solving.

Source: IGN

So yes, he is a Portal fan.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
This looks like a rancid movie. Everything about it is bad, bad, and turbo-bad.

I'd only give it a chance because of Guillermo de Toro, but the putrid is so overpowering I don't feel like being fair.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

GLaDOS voice is way too distracting. The moment she came up, I lost focus on the trailer. Not sure I could take the movie seriously when it's 100% GLaDOS's voice that's being used. The entire time I'd be watching, I'd be like, "Oh boy, is this going to be part of Valve canon now? "
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
This looks like a rancid movie. Everything about it is bad, bad, and turbo-bad.

I'd only give it a chance because of Guillermo de Toro, but the putrid is so overpowering I don't feel like being fair.
But that's why it looks good! It's a classic monster fight giant robot action movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87
GLaDOS voice is way too distracting. The moment she came up, I lost focus on the trailer. Not sure I could take the movie seriously when it's 100% GLaDOS's voice that's being used. The entire time I'd be watching, I'd be like, "Oh boy, is this going to be part of Valve canon now? "
Yeah... it was really drawing away from the film. Still blew my mind when I heard it, though.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
But that's why it looks good! It's a classic monster fight giant robot action movie!
That's not the problem. I mean visually, it's disgusting. It looks more like a video game cutscene than a popcorn flick, and Transformers taught us that even giant robots can be offensive in CGI form.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #8
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

So you want guys in giant monster outfits? Classic Toho style? Because I don't think old school Godzilla movies will ever be made like that ever again.

First you need to find a stuntman who is willing to do action in an awkward, constrictive, and usually suffocating rubber suit. Then they have to make the fights look good somehow. Then they have to endure things like explosions, flames, have stuff thrown at them, and run through scaled (sorta) models of cities and demolish them. Now find a second stuntman who is willing to do the same. And then have them fight. Health insurance.

Then you need guys to build sets for them to destroy. If the shot goes poorly, they have to rebuild that set right away. They also have to make the sets again if they need to do the shot at different angles and there aren't enough cameras.

Miniatures of things like tanks, ships, and planes need to be used for the various scenes involving the army fighting the giant rubber suit monsters. These need to be made in bulk and have to be controlled correctly or the shots are ruined and possibly require more to be made. You could replace them with CGI, but that's what we're trying to avoid right?

Pyrotechnicians need to be on staff almost all the time to blow up stuff. Explosives and gasoline need to be in large supply and also need to be handled safely. Anything goes wrong and more explosives and more gasoline and more man hours will be needed.

This all turns into a horrible mess going way over budget to appeal to a niche group who wants rubber suit monster fighting movie. Everyone else will think it's stupid/childish/out of date and not watch it. Sure it will become a cult classic, but those have no direct returns, which are needed since the movie went way over budget.

This is why we haven't seen a Godzilla movie since 2004.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Pyrotechnicians need to be on staff
Wait, that's a real job?

WHERE DID I GO WRONG WITH MY LIFE

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

I thought this was the Monsterpocalypse film for a moment.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
So you want guys in giant monster outfits? Classic Toho style? Because I don't think old school Godzilla movies will ever be made like that ever again.

First you need to find a stuntman who is willing to do action in an awkward, constrictive, and usually suffocating rubber suit. Then they have to make the fights look good somehow. Then they have to endure things like explosions, flames, have stuff thrown at them, and run through scaled (sorta) models of cities and demolish them. Now find a second stuntman who is willing to do the same. And then have them fight. Health insurance.

Then you need guys to build sets for them to destroy. If the shot goes poorly, they have to rebuild that set right away. They also have to make the sets again if they need to do the shot at different angles and there aren't enough cameras.

Miniatures of things like tanks, ships, and planes need to be used for the various scenes involving the army fighting the giant rubber suit monsters. These need to be made in bulk and have to be controlled correctly or the shots are ruined and possibly require more to be made. You could replace them with CGI, but that's what we're trying to avoid right?

Pyrotechnicians need to be on staff almost all the time to blow up stuff. Explosives and gasoline need to be in large supply and also need to be handled safely. Anything goes wrong and more explosives and more gasoline and more man hours will be needed.

This all turns into a horrible mess going way over budget to appeal to a niche group who wants rubber suit monster fighting movie. Everyone else will think it's stupid/childish/out of date and not watch it. Sure it will become a cult classic, but those have no direct returns, which are needed since the movie went way over budget.

This is why we haven't seen a Godzilla movie since 2004.
Miniatures are still the way to go when it comes to space ships. It's tough to explain, but there's an artificial glossy look to CGI ships that the miniatures don't have, or at least when I rewatch the original Star Wars films I definitely prefer puppet Yoda and the miniature mock-ups to the later CGI. Though, it might just be that Phantom Menace et. all might have aged pretty poorly.

CGI isn't necessarily a bad thing, but this movie makes it bad. It gives me the impression that the intended audience are for people who play Call of Duty.

/realizes VGM made the thread
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
Loki

Space ships? Did you not see the trailer? The aliens come from a portal at the bottom of the Pacific. lol

How you find the illogical story less disgusting than the graphics is beyond me. And Transformers movies were terrible because of the story and how it raped adult's childhood rather than terrible CGI.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I would agree that Transformers' offensively idiotic script and hambone acting was what turned me off the first film (and led me to never even check out 2 or 3), not the Hollywood-budget CG effects.

But I would also agree with Doppel that Frank Oz Muppet Yoda is still the best Yoda and for the reasons he explored. Muppet Yoda is by no means flawless, and if we had met Yoda in the prequels first then there's probably a good chance we'd have ridiculed Muppet Yoda for being so clearly a puppet and not "feeling like an organism of his own." But Doppel's absolutely right that the CG effects in the Star Wars prequels, and in the other 21st century Hollywood blockbusters which have taken advantage of modern CGI to tell stories previously untellable well in live action (like Transformers or Harry Potter), do still pale next to the real thing. Obviously. ^^; We haven't perfected CG yet and so real-live textures are still superior to CG textures. It's all a question of trade-offs with CG. Is what you gain from the CG worth more than what you lose because of it? With a film like The Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring or The Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, that answer is abso-friggin'-lutely. The tradeoff was very much worth it. CG talking beavers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a man in a human-size beaver costume pretending to be a beaver, and CG Eye of Sauron >>>>>>>> whatever they would've done in a live-action LOTR film back in the 1980s. But for things which can be replicated via miniatures, like a vehicle, or with puppets, like a small alien, it is often times better to stick with minis, I feel. No matter how real Gollum looked to us in 2002, 2003, you gotta admit he's noticeably fake and stands out from the real environments around him. Could a puppet have worked better? Perhaps, perhaps not. I would argue that Alien's alien looks way better real than she would have CG, and that's partly thanks to the fact that since she was a never-before-seen creature, we didn't fault her sometimes stiff or slow on-camera movements as being limitations of the puppet/suit/whatever. We were like, "That is how that alien moves." And since she was made of real material, all of the skin lighting worked right, all of the saliva lighting looked right, how she grabbed or came into physical contact with people or materials looked right, and that's because it was all really happening in the material world. CG will get there some day ... but that day is not yet here.

Do I think Doppel's coming at it from the right angle with this film, attacking it for its gaudy CG special effects? Nyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh I dunno. I wouldn't attack it on those grounds first. I'd start with the script and the acting. And I certainly wouldn't ask them to make it like a 1980s-style Toho Godzilla film. But I can definitely see where he's coming from when he says that they're misapplying CG in this film and that they'd have been better off doing some of the stuff with minis.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
Loki

Yes. CGI looks fake. And your brain is attuned in such a way that when things look fake, you know it. But as this is the best Hollywood technology possible at this time, it's the limitation of the times. Just as we wouldn't say black and white movies are terrible because they lack color. Or silent movies are terrible because they lack audio.

But for Hollywood, movies are a business. As I said in my other post, using traditional means to get a real live machine/puppet/minitaure to do special effects with is always going to lead to problems, which leads to delays, which leads to going over budget.

When it comes to efficiency and getting things which are physically impossible, like giant mechas fighting giant monsters on the Pacific ocean, CG is the best way to get it. It takes less time, stays on budget, and gives considerably better control over the scene than the limitations of puppets.

And anyone who shows their children Star Wars from episode 1 to 6 instead of 4 to 6 and never showing the prequels is a cruel parent.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
CGI isn't necessarily a bad thing, but this movie makes it bad. It gives me the impression that the intended audience are for people who play Call of Duty.

/realizes VGM made the thread
-_-;

I think the movie looks horrible - and that's why it also looks good. Trust me, I prefer a good story any day over something like that, but there is nothing wrong with, every now and then, some mindless giant monsters with terrible acting. Something about it isn't very reminiscent of playing with action figures as a kid.

I see your remark was intended to perhaps be a jab, but it's the same thing for Call of Duty. Then again, my opinion of the Call of Duty story series has somewhat changed with the latest with how goddamn dark and depressing it was. Speaking of, haven't touched CoD since I beat the story. Guess that was a waste of money...

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

So you're saying it's So Bad, It's Good?

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
So you're saying it's So Bad, It's Good?
I am sad to see that under their subheading for Anime & Manga they do not have Samurai Shodown: the Motion Picture listed.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Yes. CGI looks fake. And your brain is attuned in such a way that when things look fake, you know it. But as this is the best Hollywood technology possible at this time, it's the limitation of the times. Just as we wouldn't say black and white movies are terrible because they lack color. Or silent movies are terrible because they lack audio.
Only bad CGI looks fake. That's the uncanny valley effect. Most animation that looks nothing like reality don't turn off people because they operate within the brain's limits for what's acceptable to exaggerate.

I have no problem with CGI. Every film has it, yet no film has really turned me off like that Pacific Rim trailer did. It literally looks like a cartoon. There's no way that's state of the art. If it is, someone needs to be fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
-_-;

I think the movie looks horrible - and that's why it also looks good. Trust me, I prefer a good story any day over something like that, but there is nothing wrong with, every now and then, some mindless giant monsters with terrible acting. Something about it isn't very reminiscent of playing with action figures as a kid.

I see your remark was intended to perhaps be a jab, but it's the same thing for Call of Duty. Then again, my opinion of the Call of Duty story series has somewhat changed with the latest with how goddamn dark and depressing it was. Speaking of, haven't touched CoD since I beat the story. Guess that was a waste of money...
I feel there's something lost in translation.

The plot is fine for what it is. It's not meant to be fine literature, but the rest of the movie is supposed to compensate for it. Music is usually not going to do it. Actors/actresses only have to be hot, there's little empathy for them otherwise because there's not enough time to write a legit backstory. The film has to look good, but I don't think it looks good. I think it looks really, really ugly.

That Guillermo del Toro is connected, let alone directing it, is shocking. I guess for me, it's like a lot of people being surprised Quentin Tarantino could make a movie as bad as Inglorious Basterds. I guess Toro was ready to discharge some brain fluid and it's been a long time coming.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 12-13-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I dunno, I thought it looked pretty state of the art. I mean, the robot mechas looked more real than either Jar Jar Binks or Watto did in Star Wars Episode I: the Phantom Menace. I'd say they looked more real than Gollum in LotR too. Not sure what you mean by "cartoon." I mean, they still do look fake, but they're not as bad (to me) as you're making them out to be. ^^; I'd give 'em a free pass. I guess everyone has their own boundaries for the Uncanny Valley though and this film for you's crossed it. For me, I'd say modern CG has exited out past the Uncanny Valley for everything except lifeforms. Trees, dogs, birds, people, these still elude the pros. But immaterial things like buildings and aircraft carriers, I feel like we're on the other side of the valley already and have been since ... I dunno, but for quite some time now.

Now let's all enjoy the Odaiba Gundam once more.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #20
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm not talking about the robots, my concern was everything before 1:04. The way the water parts before the ship. The puppet articulation of the monster movement. The plastic quality to the buildings, cars and bridge.

I could say the movie is dense, with a lot of stuff happening at once. Maybe that's an achievement itself, in the same way that eating ten boxes of popcorn and clogging up a movie theatre's only toilet are accomplishments. But I wouldn't feel comfortable watching this film, and it has nothing to do with the robots.

In fact, robots being inherently clumsy and inelegant, they have the most believable animation of anything else in the film.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I could say the movie is dense, with a lot of stuff happening at once. Maybe that's an achievement itself, in the same way that eating ten boxes of popcorn and clogging up a movie theatre's only toilet are accomplishments.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #22
Loki

Quote:
I'm not talking about the robots, my concern was everything before 1:04. The way the water parts before the ship. The puppet articulation of the monster movement. The plastic quality to the buildings, cars and bridge.
So you don't want CGI of buildings, cars, bridges because they look like plastic? But you want mini's to be built instead. Mini's whichi mostly likely be made of plastic. Because the plastic looks less like plastic than the thing which actually isn't plastic... Right?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #23
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Mini's whichi mostly likely be made of plastic.
Or metal, ceramic, or whatever. Real cars are made of a similar material to what minis are made of - something called "matter" - and although I'm not linguistically gifted enough to properly convey the entirety of my aestheticism in words, I can say matter has substance, and I prefer my movies to have substance (in more ways than one).

Plastic's just a metaphor to describe how artificial, un-realistic that god awful CGI is. You'll have to cut me some slack, there's only a set number of ways I can characterize it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #24
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
>CGI

Who the hell cares? Sharpest-of-sharp graphics mean about as much to this movie as plot does to porn.

I have high hopes for this movie. Not expecting it to sweep award shows or anything, but I think it'll be fucking amazing to actually get to see. Cast looks decent [Charlie Hunnam, Charlie Day, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman and Rinko Kikuchi (gawd I enjoy her)]. Del Toro is awesome. FUKKIN' GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING FUKKIN' KAIJU!

Yeah. It's gonna be good.
kusari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #25
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

People who have seen the movie are suggesting it has the same ending as Gunbuster. Seriously? Anyone confirm/deny this?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment