UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 09-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #3376
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Don't move the goalposts. Don't act like your set is the be all end all. If you want to prepare, you need to prepare for the most popular sets. I never said you would keep Ferrothorn in. Obviously you wouldn't. Did I ever say you would? I said Ferrothorn can take a hit from any of the moves on the most common set. This includes switching in. When you asked on why Ferrothorn was specially defensive most of the time, I gave you an answer. Quit it.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #3377
Heather
Naga's Voice

So now that we have that cleared up, Try those Hp Fire calcs again without Rain involved this time because I'm not a huge fucking moron.

I'd do my own but the thing is very fickle on the iPad and it's prone to mistakes on my part (see Landy vs Thundy debacle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #3378
Emi

Quote:
252 SpA Keldeo Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 84-100 (47.6 - 56.8%)
You still do less damage than with Secret Sword. Also Secret Sword is not a contact move.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #3379
Heather
Naga's Voice

Okay then. Well, it's a decent option in case Secret Sword is for whatever reason unavailable and it hits shit like Breeloom nicely. Done deal?

Also you forgot my positive nature modifier. AGAIN. Don't bother with it though it probably serves to maybe inch closer to if not to or beyond the halfway mark.

Quote:
Old 09-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #3380
Emi

What does it matter if its positive or not? It still shows that Secret Sword is still stronger than HP Fire. Breloom is hit slightly harder by HP Fire, but that doesn't make a difference. Without a boosting item like Expert Belt or Choice Specs, both still only get the 2HKO.

Quote:
| 63 | Breloom | 1.65466% | 2523 | 2.154% | 1822 | 2.135% |
More over, Breloom is hardly ever used. The ONLY common Grass-type is Ferrothorn.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:34 PM   #3381
Heather
Naga's Voice

I can say that I've seen 'Loom and Ferro rather equally. Not exactly bit they're pretty equal in appearance count.

Quote:
Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #3382
Emi

Even so, personal anecdote does not disprove the hard numbers. I can pull up the higher rankings stats too if you'd like.

Quote:
| 75 | Breloom | 0.77752% | 2523 | 2.154% | 1822 | 2.135% |
Quote:
| 84 | Breloom | 0.44615% | 2523 | 2.154% | 1822 | 2.135% |
The only reason you are seeing it as often as you are is because you are at the lower end of the ladder. Once you get higher, as the numbers show, you will see it less and less.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #3383
Heather
Naga's Voice

Considering that the lower ladder is where I'm going to stay as I'm screwing around with monotype in Übers, I don't care about your higher ranking numbers. I'm not reaching for the sky with this team (If I was, I would probably find replacements for stuff like Clawitzer).

Quote:
Old 09-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #3384
Emi

So basically since you don't actually plan on doing remotely well no suggestion I make is going to make a difference.

*flips repeated tables and storms out of thread*
Old 09-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #3385
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyro12
Wow, I've never seen such active goalposts!

Credit to Daisy for this glorious Battle Cut :3
Kyro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #3386
Heather
Naga's Voice

We've repeatedly gone over the subject of how more often than not I'm not seriously trying to ladder, and yet you all still forget. So clearly, there needs to be a clear definition laid out. But come on now, there are much better Water monotype builds to make in Übers, and I'm pretty sure you guys could name a few. It makes me cry that you'd think I'd start a laddering venture without you guys. Chances are If I don't ask for help with the teambuilding it's just for shits and giggles, and a few replays here and there when I pull a 6-0 or a close win or something else. When I actively ask for suggestions before going in, then you can infer that I'm going for something at least above 1300.

So yes, keep that in mind and we can avoid this from ever happening again. Kapeesh?

Quote:
Old 09-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #3387
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

So.. You defend your decisions.. And then you say you're not trying to do well... Which would make it seem helpful to take suggestions which will most likely improve you... But you're just doin' you, so whatever, man. Or something? I guess?

I don't understand why you seemingly refuse everything people try to help you with. Like, you just make an excuse as to why your way is the right way, but then you say you're just not trying to win. If you're not trying to win, why not accept the trying-to-win advice as better than your own decisions?

Old 09-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #3388
Heather
Naga's Voice

I'm not saying my way is right, I'm just saying it serves well enough that it isn't horribad.

Quote:
Old 09-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #3389
Emi

Has UPN ever had a laddering competition? It kinda makes me want to do one.

Who would be interested in that?
Old 09-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #3390
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
Has UPN ever had a laddering competition? It kinda makes me want to do one.

Who would be interested in that?
My kneejerk reaction was that I'd be interested.

But then I realized that ... well, we kinda sorta already do that, y'know? If you imagine what a tournament friendly is like, that's sort of what Daisy, Red, myself, you, CloneBlazer, rotomotorz, and a few others are actively involved in across a number of tiers. We're not competing competing with one another, but there's that friendly sort of super-lite competition between us, to see who can get the high score or to see how close those of us who can't can at least get to reaching the person who can.

Trying to turn what we already do into a more formalized, competitive tournament ...
  1. might not be well received? ^^;;
  2. might make it less fun to ladder? :\
  3. has a lot of weird rules to be figured out, e.g. deciding the eligible tier(s), deciding the time frame, deciding whether every single battle record must be provided or not, and so on.
I guess what I'd say is that you can make an informal contest of it yourself? Find someone you want to beat and ... well, keep trying until you finally beat their score. Then if they care to try to beat your score back, you might have found yourself a "dueling buddy." *shrug*
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #3391
Emi

That's understandable. I don't think we'd have to provide replays to be honest, since the point of a competitive ladder run is simply to show how high on the ladder you can, which can be easily done with a screenshot. All that would need to be done is 1)Provide a time frame for it to be done and B)Specify the tier.

I have decided that I'm making my own solo run, and to boot, I finally found a use for my tumblr. It's going to catalog my laddering experience up the XY OU ladder. (Can you even see it without a tumblr account???) I don't have a specific goal, just get as high as possible.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #3392
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
That's understandable. I don't think we'd have to provide replays to be honest, since the point of a competitive ladder run is simply to show how high on the ladder you can, which can be easily done with a screenshot. All that would need to be done is 1)Provide a time frame for it to be done and B)Specify the tier.
See, you say that. But the moment you start talking "tournament," you start talking competition and (the risk of) cheating. The moment you start talking cheating, you have to consider the possibility on PS of rigging one's score to a partial (not full) extent when laddering by:
  1. requesting your opponent forfeit, explaining the situation to him, when your opponent is someone you happen to have befriended
  2. they forfeit, giving you the win and the score boost
  3. you don't provide the battle replay video because it contains the evidence of your dirty deed
Not an issue with casual laddering. Suddenly becomes an issue with a more formalized tournament that spans days if not weeks and which we can't all be expected to be in attendance for at all times.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #3393
Emi

Well I would like to think no one on UPN would do that. :/ I mean I get your point but the number of battles needed to get high on the ladder is pretty nuts.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:25 PM   #3394
Heather
Naga's Voice

Talon, I find your lack of faith in the community here rather disturbing. I mean, we remember the morality debate from worlds but that was Worlds. This is us UPNers doing a tournament with no stakes save bragging rights done mostly for shits and giggles. I don't think we have anyone who would do that in this setting, the stakes are practically nonexistent and youd make yourself look a scumbag. Is our character really that questionable?

Quote:
Old 09-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #3395
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Fowl II View Post
Talon, I find your lack of faith in the community here rather disturbing.
Shut up, Myles. This has nothing to do with my faith in individual members of the community. I didn't even say that I personally would enforce such a rule were I organizing such a tournament. It's just not worth the hassle with a trustworthy group like ours. I only said that such considerations are to be raised the moment you take things out of the casually competitive environment and transport them to the more serious competitive one.

Don't posture about faith in a community I have been a part of almost as long as you have been sucking air into your lungs.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #3396
Heather
Naga's Voice

If its irrelevant here as you say, why bring it up? Quit wasting our time with concerns you yourself wouldn't bother with.

Quote:
Old 09-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #3397
Emi

Either take it to PMs or stop. No one is in the mood for another argument between the two of you.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #3398
Heather
Naga's Voice

Back to your regularly scheduled thread!

Phew this was close.

From being stalled to hell to...Tiny Kaiju 6-0!?

Quote:

Last edited by Heather; 09-30-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #3399
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

New OU Team's First Battle [OU, 28 Turns]

WoW is good. Knock Off is good. A few good plays on my part and the great pressure provided by Will-o-Wisp sealed me the game. Oh, and that early parahax really made a difference in the long run, so sorry about that, Blaze :/

Old 10-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #3400
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
Re: laddering stuffs:

I'd be interested in a ladder tour. Idk if it will take off well, as very few people here do comp and even less do OU on a consistent basis***. Regardless, the only issue I could foresee is people using Alts created before the set start date to gain an early advantage. I dont really think that this is serious enough to request your opponent to forfeit, and most of the time when you do get a forfeit, you were bound to win anyways.

Anyways, I don't see the harm in trying it out. Have it so like a new alt has to be made, something like 'UPN [USERNAME GOES HERE]' or something along those lines, idk. Sounds fun, especially since this is basically an 'every one knows everyone' scenario and would be pretty casual.

Also I do agree with the whole casual competition of people here seein if they can pass each other on the ladder. Never really occurred to me untill Talon brought it up.

***based on my observations alone, may or may not be be accurate

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON