UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 05-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
sultyrano
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via AIM to sultyrano
To any of you who may have been BMG members during the '99-2001 era

I'm here for a bit of nostalgia - I originally visited the new Bulbagarden, hoping to come across a few familiar names. I was lucky, and found DarkChromiumDragonite, who directed me here, suggesting that some of the original members had migrated to this community. THANKS!

Anyhow, I wasn't very popular or active or anything like that - but I'd love to chat some about the glory days, back when link cables were king, Pokemon Online was a promising and exciting project, UBB code abounded, people who could make banners, avatars, or animated gifs using tools better than MSPaint were revered as gods, the "Seraph" group was everywhere, and our Kanto pokedex was still in Japanese.. you get the idea.

My old user name was Dark_One, and yes, I was kind of a fuck, but I'd still enjoy reminiscing with a group of people who helped to define my childhood.

Rocky Cliffs, oujosama, Zac/Lugia2K, SaiyanSaviour; if you're still around I'd love to hear from you guys as well.
sultyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Wow, that's a long while back.

Unfortunately I wasn't part of the BMG community back then. Did that BMG predate Archaic's ownership of the site?

Still, welcome to UPNetwork.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I've been a part of the UPNetwork community since 1999 but not the Bulbagarden community, so I can't really help you out on most of your stuff, including your directed shout outs. (I have no idea who those people even are. ^^; ) But there is one thing you said which stood out to me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sultyrano View Post
the "Seraph" group was everywhere
I don't know anything about a Seraph username group on BulbaGarden, but I do know that around the spring of 2000, there was a user on UPN who had previously gone by the name of Kojiro who then began going by the name Seraph Koji. I didn't think it was part of a huge naming scheme on BMG, and perhaps it wasn't, but I figure it's at least worth pointing out that, yeah, I do remember someone using a Seraph username in the time period specified.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
sultyrano
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Wow, that's a long while back.

Unfortunately I wasn't part of the BMG community back then. Did that BMG predate Archaic's ownership of the site?

Still, welcome to UPNetwork.
Hey, thanks for the welcome! I'm not too sure about who Archaic is, but at that time Chris (Bulba) was webmaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I've been a part of the UPNetwork community since 1999 but not the Bulbagarden community, so I can't really help you out on most of your stuff, including your directed shout outs.

I do remember someone using a Seraph username in the time period specified.
There were quite a few of them, one that stands out is Seraph Nightmare, but that's the only specific one I remember with certainty.
Seraph Kojiro does ring a bell, though. I also had an account on UPN, but wasn't nearly as active here. I don't even remember my username.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

Hi there - I guess I'd be from the tail end of this era (registered in 2001; username was Scyther though I don't expect anyone outside some PASBLers to remember me) and while much of what you listed draws a blank for me, it's always neat to see someone else who was around for that turn up in these parts.

Also, on the subject of BulbaGarden, I was always disappointed that I could never access the much-hyped Ultimate Episode Guide because AOL Parental Controls slapped a web restriction on it for some reason. That AOL, depriving kids of their sparkly Johto-era anime wonderland.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by sultyrano View Post
Hey, thanks for the welcome! I'm not too sure about who Archaic is, but at that time Chris (Bulba) was webmaster.
Archaic was one of the admins along with Chaka, SeelBG (Frost) and Konidias (MeowthBG). He more or less assumed leadership of BMG after Bulbasaur abdicated his throne. Archaic came to power sometime around 2003, which is as far back as the current BMG(.net) leads back. Bulbasaur was in control as late as 2001, because I remember the September 11 attacks were a huge topic on BMG that late, but by that time I'd moved on to

PiccoloNamek, ChaosRocket, and McSweeney (as Big Pimp Krillin, which I still call him) posted on BMG during that era. Morgoth was also on BMG for a time but I don't recall how long.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
sultyrano
Pokemon Trainer

Okay, yeah, I think I may remember the Archaic name. Or maybe your mention of it made me synthesize the memory.

I definitely remember Big Pimp Krillin, and PiccoloNamek.

Also, your banner... it's evil. So many bruises...
Old 05-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #8
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Uh yeah, sorry if it conjures bad memories, it's my favourite biochemical and one of the screen-names I've been going by online lately.

Some reading information-

http://wiki.upnetwork.net/index.php?...r:Doppleganger
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...a_%28person%29
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Archaic
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
sultyrano
Pokemon Trainer

Okay, I laughed out loud at the first section of your bio. Your method for stopping the spread of HIV... priceless. The shitposting I remember, but the HIV bit was new. I think that was the same year the boards kept getting spammed with Zone-Archive hentai, that Christmasy pic of Ash's mom... with the candy cane ---nevermind.

Also, I think I may have lugia2000 confused with someone else... hmm. I ended up playing a Diabloesque KMMORPG called Helbreath for a short while (post Chris-era BMG) with Zac/Lugia(something). His old AIM handle was PkmnMasterLugia.

I really wasn't that active, (mostly sat in the Art forums, hosted several animated gif request threads, made banners with Corel) but nonetheless all this BMG stuff is hitting me right in the childhood.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:14 AM   #10
deoxys
Fog Badge

I was on BMGf in 1999-2000 under the name Lil' Murkrow, and before that xXGiovanniXx. I was 9 years old at the time, 23 now. I doubt anyone would remember me given I was just a kid, and I really didn't post anywhere except in Fizzy Bubbles, but I come from back in the day when BMG was a tiny geocities/angelfire/whatever page with a MIDI loop of the Mt. Moon music playing in the background.

Anyways, hello.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I come from back in the day when BMG was a tiny geocities/angelfire/whatever page with a MIDI loop of the Mt. Moon music playing in the background.
That sounds excruciating.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #12
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Big Pimp Krillin here. I had a notorious reputation on all of the big 3 Pokemon websites, because I had a tendency to act a little crazy and troll the admins. Those hentai pics you're remembering may have been my doing too, I can't remember. I'm still banned from Bulbagarden to this day. I've calmed down a lot in my old age, though. In fact the owner of this site is my good buddy ... an unthinkable prospect back in the day! I always made a point to never fraternize with admins and mods.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #13
Hunter
Excessive Spammer

Yeah, I had an account there. It was just a placeholder if I wanted to post one of those pointless "I'm from UPN and this is what I think" type comments. The new BMG has jealously guarded accounts there, so I have an old one there, but once again, a placeholder.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc