UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 06-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #26
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Interesting, Muyo. Thanks for the quick summary.

Deo, you mention having "controversial opinions" on abortion, and I guess that when it comes to abortion there aren't many positions which can't be called controversial; but reading your post makes me wonder what you would make of people who are pro-infanticide.

My freshman year of college, we were assigned to read, amongst many texts, Peter Singer's Practical Ethics. Singer is a highly controversial philosopher who, amongst other things, argues in favor of euthanasia and infanticide. For that reason, his arguments are worth your time to read as doing so shall for you either be a necessary exercise in getting to know the arguments of your philosophical nemesis or else be a perhaps enlightening exercise in getting to know the arguments which support your own worldview, either/or. The relevant chapter of the book can be found here, for your edification. It's not the sort of thing you can read right now as a two-minute diversion from UPN with your attention half on the text and half on drawing up an awesome reply to the thread; I would instead recommend that you save reading it for later, perhaps before you go to bed or as you wake up in the morning. Load it up on your cell phone or your laptop, whatever bedside device you have ready, and read it if and when you have the time and interest to commit to it. I myself don't have that time right now, and the last time I read this chapter was over nine years ago so I could sorely use a refresher.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #27
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm open to reading it if not just to at least see the world from other's points of view and opinions, but just from what little I did read that honestly sounds terrible. I can't see any argument that could honestly justify it even "they lack morals and are therefore not actually people". That really is just murder at that point. There really is no excuse at that point to not just let someone else adopt it.

Euthanasia is an entirely different topic that I have mixed feelings on as well, but this sounds just awful.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate