UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 11-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #151
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'd like to add that I don't think Geass particularly merits a sequel either. While it was a good show -- better than some give it credit for -- it's not a story I've felt like revisiting once over the past five years, and very very few times over the past ten. It'd be dishonest to say that Geass is without its warts. It's a flawed story, for certain. While I believe its writing to be particularly well-orchestrated (though it was not perceived as such by S2 weekly viewers), that doesn't mean it was necessarily good. And while I'd say it was good, even I would say it wasn't fantastic. I'm not rarin' to revisit Orange-kun. I'm not dying to know how Villetta or Cornelia are doing.

The series has a really great ending. It's one I have referenced, whether in speaking/writing or whether just inside my own head, countless times over the years when thinking about leadership and movements for social change. The idea of a ...

Spoilers for S2 finale:

Spoiler: show
... leader (e.g. of a political movement) who poisons the world against himself so utterly and deliberately as to make him their Great Evil, to unify the planet against him, and to make it so that humanity, once rid of him, can enter into a new era of utopia ...

is an interesting one. Alan Moore kinda-sorta visits it in his earlier work of Watchmen, but Moore's characters aren't quite the same as Geass's, and I don't personally know of any other examples that so perfectly encapsulate this idea as does Geass's star.

Viewed as Sunrise's attempt to channel lightning in a bottle, Geass was a swing and a miss. It's weird. It's messy. It's all over the place. It has enough going against it that fans both new and old can be forgiven for not placing it on the same pedestals as the ones occupied by the likes of Cowboy Bebop and Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu.

Viewed as a series that knew where it wanted to go and ended perfectly, I would say that Geass accomplished this goal very, very well, and that it would be meaningless -- nay, deleterious -- to revisit the setting.

Either way, an S3 seems ill-advised to me. People aren't going to be as excited for a Geass S3 in 2017 as they were for the original season of Code Geass in 2006. Sunrise isn't the name it used to be. I don't think the Emis or the Connors are all too familiar with the studio on brand name recognition alone, and it's not as though Sunrise has given them much to work with over the past ten years anyway. It seems like Madhouse, with works like Death Parade and One Punch Man, has filled in the niche once occupied by Sunrise. "We do the awesome art house stuff." (e.g. Death Parade) "We do the awesome action stuff." (e.g. One Punch Man) Even if my analysis there is wrong, I remain right about one thing, I am pretty sure -- that Sunrise hasn't done much of note in the last ten years.

If Sunrise wants to relive its glory days, I'd much rather they gather talent around a new property instead of trying to resurrect a lukewarmly-popular one from the grave. Give us a new setting, a new story, new characters. Give us "Code Geass done right," not "a third season to a flawed masterpiece which seeks to rekindle a fire long dead."
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #152
Char
Banned

Was surprised to see this thread bumped...with S3 news. I'll watch it no matter what regardless.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #153
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Geass' ending was horrible. There needs to be a distinction between the esoteric "dying for a just cause" ideal and implementing it in a believable way. There's far too many ways to interpret Lelouch's idea as anything but whimsy, decided on only with Suzaku's sword pointed as his throat. It takes a lot of logic loops leaping to trace any kind of consistency in Geass, because there actually isn't one.

A lot of people misunderstand what the series is about: no, it's not Lelouch-Suzaku. It's not Lelouch-Nunnally or Lelouch-Kallen/C.C.

It's about Lelouch, and it's about his power fantasy. The entire series exists as fanservice to sell Lelouch dominating other people somehow. It's basically the same thing in Akihito even though he isn't even Lelouch there.

Given that, I don't have a problem with continuing on the series. My gripe is it takes place only a few years later. That is what may set the series up for failure.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:04 AM   #154
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

JIBUN WO, bleaches!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #155
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Sunrise is releasing what appears to be a trilogy of recap movies. Why bother, you might ask?

Japan commonly uses such recaps to establish an official canon ahead of a new project they might undertake. For example, for AliceSoft's Rance, the first three games became remakes after Rance VIII and that served as the canon for IX and the final game, X.

There are a few new scenes in what is basically S1 of Geass R1. What I like about it is those new scenes are animated/drawn in the same style as R1, rather than using R2's look.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-24-2018, 05:36 AM   #156
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't know what it is about Code Geass and it having such a troubled production history. It's well known how ad hoc the original anime and its subsequent seasons were. It's like when you have a blockbuster people lose their god dang minds (we've seen something similar with Haruhi, One Punch Man, Kemono Friends, Fate, and others).

What was initially supposed to be Geass S3 where Lelouch actually didn't die, turned into a bunch of recap movies leading in to a movie continuation following R2, finally culminating in an AU retelling of seasons 1-2 leading to a non-canon alternate universe where Shirley is alive, Anya doesn't exist and oh yeah Lelouch didn't die and he's not the cart driver for sure this time!

It is at this point where I put my foot down and agree with Talon. The original wrapped itself up pretty well. My initial speculation was that "R3" was going to take place a hundred years after the second season because that way we wouldn't have to deal with any of the plot lines of the original story except Lelouch/C.C. But no, apparently R3 had to take place only a few years after the season 2 ending! However, I was still open to the idea of more Geass. Lelouch is that compelling a character that you'd still watch his antics.

But a non-canon AU? Only really stupid fans, of which I'm sure there are many, would accept this. For one, it's not the same Lelouch and not the same story we all got invested in 12 years ago. Sunrise has made changes to the story we're not aware of, that changes Lelouch's development. He can't be the same person at the end of the 2nd "recap" movie if Shirley is still alive, because her death was a major catalyst of change for him.

Worse, it's possible that Lelouch never actually died in the new movie canon, meaning that a title like "Lelouch of the Resurrection" is shallow clickbait.

Screw Sunrise, I'm not watching this. AU can be compelling. Pokemon's I Choose You! movie was great because it channeled the spirit of Takeshi Shudo in a way the anime hadn't in decade. This, I'm not even giving a chance, based on the dumb retcons.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-10-2019, 01:06 AM   #157
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

SPOILERZZZ

Do not proceed unless you're willing to regret it for the rest of your life! Treat the following information as you would THE IDENTITY OF THE LEGENDARY TREASURE "ONE PIECE":

Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitaaaa━━━(゜∀゜)━━━ッ!!

Text stuff

Lelouch did die at the end of R2, but came back to life after 10 years by working his way through the "World of C".

The "World of C" is in fact the afterlife, or something like Berserk's Interstice, which sort of explains why God/Jupiter was there in the first place. Lelouch's subjectivity went there after he died, and the events of the movie lead him to reconstruct his ego somehow.

Obviously, as many of us predicted, he returns with Charles' code. This movie will explain away a lot of the details from the series that were never fully explained I think.

I haven't read all the spoilers because there's not misinformation out there. But that picture and the ending sequence are undeniable.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #158
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Well, Leleouch of the Re;surrection came out last week, but it's playing in less then 500 theaters nationwide and nowhere near me. Reviews seem all over the place. Just glancing at the x/5s, it's mostly positive but the people leaving their negatives are really negative about it.

Hopefully it comes out on Netflix or Hulu or something.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #159
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I read the spoilers for this some time ago. I think the biggest issue a lot of people have are the changes from the TV series, which were necessary to not step on the toes of the original and allow for the ending the producers wanted.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime