UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 02-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #1226
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I did not expect that Turn 2 result. o.o (Random Battle; 16 turns)

Spoiler: show
We all know Rampardos is strong ... but damn. Non-STAB Fire Punch, only 75 base power strong, going up against a Pokémon who may well be weak to Fire-type attacks but who I thought had a bit more bulk than that! Apparently not! That poor mole never knew the club that hit 'im!

My opponent got a team with zero resistances to Ice, four of whom were weak to it. I had two Ice types (Aurorus and Regice) and access to Ice on a third (Feraligatr), placing my opponent at a significant disadvantage. I felt sorry for him, but a game's a game, and frankly, I have experienced a string of RETARDEDLY bad luck today on PS. :\ No fewer than three different games where I lost 0-1 with my opponent in the low red ... and on either the last turn or the second to last turn he got the game-winning critical hit, as otherwise I was in position to eke out the 1-0 victory for me. This is just the tip of the iceberg too: loads of stacked matches and bizarro plays have resulted in my rank falling as low as the very low 1600s when I had been in the 1740s this morning.

Vivillon vs. Spinda (Random Battle)

I think this would be a good instructional match for beginners. Lots of teaching material here.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #1227
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
It's the battle of black versus white! Or is it White versus Black?(Random Battle)

As you will soon see, neither dragon does much at all during the match. But man that first match-up is priceless! I ended up getting quite a few pretty good Pokemon, and I kinda misplayed with Marowak. If I had set-up another Substitute, I would have been able to take a serious dent out of Giratina with a +2 Thick Club Stone Edge. But instead, I got burned and you saw what happened from there. I'm slowly building my way up, but Randbats in my experience has some balance issues. So it really depends on what you get.

I'm now at the 1500s!

It's weird sometimes how useful a Pokemon can be in randbats compared to its actual tier. Yvetal is a seriously bulky Pokemon in Randbats, as you just saw, while its practically useless in Ubers, being a rather poor Pokemon due to its typing and lack of power. And it works pretty well, until Rapidash takes a nice couple of bites out of it and KOes. The lucky Focus Blast crit at the end sealed the deal, as may last two Pokemon pretty much have no chance against a full health Slowking. So, hax for hax, today was a good day.

Last edited by Emi; 02-16-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #1228
Red Panda
head head bitch

Victorybell

So, new rules for myself when on PS. One battle at a time, and no late night playing. Because just yesterday afternoon I was at 1460 and now... mid 1200's. It's bad. But anyways, losing Sceptile early on was stupid on my part, I keep forgetting that Sound goes past subs now. But due to some bad guesses on his part, I managed to set up with Victreebell, turning the match around for me. Hopefully I'll work my way back up the scores.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #1229
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's not every day you see Arceus-Water. (Random Battle)

Only sharing this one because of the exotic Arceus-Water. The battle is fine but nothing terribly impressive on either side.

Re: scores dropping drastically in little time, don't worry about it too much, Red. If it's any consolation, Daisy and I haven't done too hot recently either. My score's currently in the 1660s after having dropped by roughly 150 points yesterday (from 1740 when I woke up to 1590 at its lowest last night), and I continue to be frustrated by a slew of really bad luck in the form of:
  • untimely enemy crits
  • terrible movesets
  • stacked odds against me
For the first bullet point, I lost no fewer than three games yesterday due to an enemy crit that happened either on the last turn or the second to last turn where, without the crit, I was guaranteed to win. For the second bullet point, there are too many examples to list. One that stands out was Nasty Plot + three physical attacks. -_-; Another was one battle where Hydro Pump missed four times in a row, any one of them hitting would have KO'd the enemy, and I ended up losing the match by exactly one turn. Good lord do I despise Smogon's hard-on for Hydro Pump. It's totally unjustifiable when the gap between it and Surf is only 20 points now and Hydro Pump's accuracy has fallen to an abysmal 80%. As for the third bullet point, examples include the usual: he gets three Level 86 legendaries and I get Team NU, he gets four Water types and I have three Fire types, he gets four things with powerful priority attacks while I get no priority attacks, etc.

There's definitely much to be said for not playing when you lose twice (or sometimes I would even say once) in a row. That wasn't what happened to me yesterday (as I did take hour-long breaks in between the many individual losses), but if it's what you noticed happening to you, then yeah, be careful about that in the future. It's far too easy to get into a losing slump and the more irritated and/or desperate you get the poorer you play. Not true for everybody, but if you notice it of yourself, it's something to manage accordingly.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #1230
Haymez
Decidedly Epic

Send a message via Skype™ to Haymez
I can win despite your hax!/This is why you should fear Jynx (Random Battle)

Started off just fine, I bring in Cradily and start to curse up, ready to start destroying stuff when he gets the freeze. Not only that, but it immobilizes me for 5 turns! At this point, I really don't have anything to deal with Feraligatr. I go to Shedinja in the hope of him not having crunch, which he ends up having. At least I can burn him right? Wrong!

At this point it looks like game over, I send in Jynx after he kills a couple more of my 'mons, expecting to die instantly to crunch after missing the first lovely kiss, but he doesn't go for it! I hit the second lovely kiss and proceed to nasty plot up. He then gets lucky and wakes up first turn, and still doesn't go for crunch! This allows me to take out most of his team with Jynx.

Shedinja finished off strong though, all I had to do was click will-o-wisp until he ran out of sucker punches or died to burn. My opponent tried to bait me into attacking a couple of times, but I wasn't falling for it.

Ended up a very frustrating 1-0

Just started doing randbats. I've only had 7 or 8 battles so far, but I can see why it gets so frustrating.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #1231
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymez View Post
I can win despite your hax!/This is why you should fear Jynx (Random Battle)

Started off just fine, I bring in Cradily and start to curse up, ready to start destroying stuff when he gets the freeze. Not only that, but it immobilizes me for 5 turns! At this point, I really don't have anything to deal with Feraligatr. I go to Shedinja in the hope of him not having crunch, which he ends up having. At least I can burn him right? Wrong!

At this point it looks like game over, I send in Jynx after he kills a couple more of my 'mons, expecting to die instantly to crunch after missing the first lovely kiss, but he doesn't go for it! I hit the second lovely kiss and proceed to nasty plot up. He then gets lucky and wakes up first turn, and still doesn't go for crunch! This allows me to take out most of his team with Jynx.

Shedinja finished off strong though, all I had to do was click will-o-wisp until he ran out of sucker punches or died to burn. My opponent tried to bait me into attacking a couple of times, but I wasn't falling for it.

Ended up a very frustrating 1-0

Just started doing randbats. I've only had 7 or 8 battles so far, but I can see why it gets so frustrating.
I was very confused by his strategy at first.

I am too used to seeing the Sheer Force Life Orb Feraligatr in Random Battles. I was actually about to post here and explain to you that you shouldn't waste your time aiming for a freeze from Feraligatr's Ice Punch in future battles until I expanded the spoiler box and read your comments, giving away that Cradily winds up frozen (which of course must mean Feraligatr isn't packing Sheer Force). Also, that I was watching him thinking it was you and vice versa. ^^; But I've got that straightened out now: you were the Cradily + Jynx user, he was the Feraligatr user. Got it.

To be honest, I'm still astonished that that Feraligatr even exists on the Random Battle circuit. Can't believe the Smogon brass opted to run a Torrent Feraligatr alongside the Sheer Force one. It must've been because of predictability concerns with the Sheer Force variant or something.

Turn 14 with Empoleon ... oh man. It's at this point that I'm feeling really sorry for your opponent you. ^^; You weren't doing anything wrong per se. It's just that your opponent happened to have an answer to everything you sent out, all on this one Feraligatr. Crazy.

Turn 21: GO JYNX!

The final turns of the match: man, that really must've sucked for your opponent. For Jynx to reverse all of those fortunes incurred by Feraligatr and then for you to have Shedinja and him to have nothing but Druddigon. It's sad to watch those turns as he keeps spamming Sucker Punch, praying that you will use some sort of attack against him besides Will-o-Wisp. When he finally accepts that you never will and that he is powerless touch you, he forfeits and vanishes, and it is sad. Shedinja: shatterer of souls. ^^;
Old 02-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #1232
Red Panda
head head bitch

The Exceptional Huntail

First off, PS updated to Gen 6 pokemon! Not sure if I'm all that happy, but it's cool enough.

The set I got for this Huntail is definitely one that I like much more than the sweeping variant. Usually the item is wasted on White Herb, while Life Orb or Lefties would be quite helpful. After I successfully shell smashed and bp'd to Sceptile, I thought that it was game over. If not for that burn it would've been a clear win for me. So, I had 5 pokemon left and thought, you know what, I'll try to BP again. I cannot believe that he did not kill me there and then. Maybe that set didn't have attacking moves, I don't know. But I'm in the red zone for health and you use toxic when you know that I can BP out? I dunno.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:19 AM   #1233
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAA! {SPOILER}! O_O (Random Battle; 23 turns)

This was my first battle ever with Pokémon Showdown's latest surprise. Go check out the site yourself and get into a battle if you haven't already.

GEN VI ANIMATED GIF SPRITES! NEATO! You can see my child-like excitement dotted throughout the match. ^^; This was a pretty neat surprise. My only disappointments were:
  1. They didn't have Mega Banette yet, so what we saw during the match was her static gif that a fan made for PS to use and what I think you see for her in the video link I just provided is a jumbo-sized ordinary Banette. Hopefully they'll fix this soon. (Edit: It looks like the video shows the static gif now too. Still not a proper animation from XY of Mega Banette. )
  2. Regirock looks rather fuzzy, like a low-resolution rip, whereas all of the others look very crisp and look like they were taken straight from the 3DS. I'm not sure if this is what Regirock looks like in the actual games or not, but either way I know I don't like it.
Aside from those two complaints, the new graphics are pretty sweet. I had never seen a lot of these Pokémon in 3D before and man did they look sweet. (CRESSELIA! So beautiful! Her lunar lobes look much prettier in XY than they did in DPPt or BW+BW2.)

As for the match itself, I got lucky several times. My opponent did a good job of applying pressure with Mandibuzz, but:
  1. Staying in with his Ice-type Rotom on Regirock backfired on him when Stone Edge missed not once out of six or so uses. Incredible. :')
  2. Calling back his Nidoking for Mandibuzz proved fatal for him as I gunned for Rock Polish instead of Earthquake that first turn.
I'm not sure if either of these alone accounted for my winning the match as I still had a Malamar and some other good Pokémon waiting, but they definitely helped seal the deal.

Last edited by Talon87; 02-17-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:06 AM   #1234
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

All hail the based Cherrim.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #1235
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I can't say I'm surprised they switched over, now that animations are pretty easily available. I admit that I'll miss the charm of the sprites but this does give Showdown a nice visual upgrade.

I do sorta hope they try to update the entire engine a little to look a bit sharper with the 3D models. It looked okay with sprites (of course, it never replaces the real thing) but I'd like to see something a little more fitting if possible.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:57 AM   #1236
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Giratina budges for no one. (Random Battle; 15 turns)

If you've ever wanted to see the defensive form of Giratina completely dominate, now's your chance.

Notice how I don't panic when I discover that Seviper has Shed Skin. I remain calm, I'm fully aware the thing normally packs Sucker Punch, and I stick to Will-o-Wisp and Calm Mind with the exception of the one time early on where I sneak in a cheeky Dragon Pulse. A bit of Russian roulette on my part, as much meant to feel him out as to bait him on the next turn for a Sucker Punch (buying me a free turn to burn him).

Admittedly, I should have gone straight for Dragon Pulse on Turn 14. But my thinking was about crippling Mega Pinsir for the long term and forcing a panicky player into Swords Dancing again (which he did do! ). I didn't even bother to check Mega Pinsir's stats, so I had no idea that I would likely OHKO that sucker with just a single Dragon Pulse following three Calm Minds.

Further admittedly, he would have had first move with Uxie, so it's possible that a Shadow Ball would've knocked out Giratina, particularly if it was a critical hit. I kind of doubt it though. I think I had the 6-0 in the bag.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #1237
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Quick, someone teach me how to Beta Competition.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #1238
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraJolteon View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the beta tournament more or less a VGC doubles tournament that's meant to test the waters regarding VGC bans of Mega Gengar, Mega Kangaskhan, et al? That was the impression I got when reading about it several weeks ago: that it's essentially a doubles tournament and at the very end of it they ask you to complete a survey about what you did and didn't like regarding the tournament. I imagine that they're trying to get figures on how many people say that they enjoyed being able to play with their favorites vs. how many people say that they disliked that particular creatures or other elements were allowed.

If I'm right, then I guess I'd suggest reading up on VGCs / doubles, watching some videos or reading some battle logs from the Fall 2013 and Winter 2014 regional tournaments, and just practicing a bunch on Pokémon Showdown and/or Pokémon-Online before you commit to training your team members in-game.

You might find this resource helpful if you haven't already.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #1239
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

VGC only allows mon in the Kalos Dex. Beta Competion allows anything hatched in Kalos.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #1240
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
VGC only allows mon in the Kalos Dex. Beta Competion allows anything hatched in Kalos.
Hmm, okay. Well, courtesy of Google, it looks like this is the list of Pokémon not common to both formats. Of these, there are certainly quite a few that stand out to me for Singles relevance, but as for Doubles, I feel like you could see a good one-third to one-half of the fully evolveds on this list, easy, and it's just going to boil down to random chance which of them you're up against. Few of the non-legendaries seem to be Pokémon that were super popular in last year's Worlds. I don't see Amoongus here, for example. I don't see Ludicolo or Rhyperior either. I remember seeing these guys near constantly last year on Worlds teams, so if I had to guess, I would guess that the Beta landscape would not be that much different from the Worlds 2013 landscape but for the addition of Gen 6 playtoys, all common to both the VGC and Beta formats.

It would be pretty great if you scored highly. If you want to playtest your team with any of us, please let us know. I'm sure we'd all be happy to help you out.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #1241
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein Masquerain reigns supreme. (Random Battle; 16 turns)

If you're a fan of Masquerain, you should check this one out. Otherwise unremarkable and attributable to good luck on one player's side and bad luck on the other player's. But as for Masquerain's performance ...
Old 02-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #1242
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Quote:
Use your VGC team.
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:38 PM   #1243
Emi

How would the Twitch team fare against the likes of a (somewhat) Standard Gen I OU team?

Watch and find out. ;o
Old 02-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #1244
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Considering he had no problem running quality moves that the real Twitch team lacks, it was rather frustrating to watch him use pisspoor Gen 1 Mega Drain when he could've been using Petal Dance instead.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #1245
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Considering he had no problem running quality moves that the real Twitch team lacks, it was rather frustrating to watch him use pisspoor Gen 1 Mega Drain when he could've been using Petal Dance instead.
Yeah, I have to agree. When I saw Sand-Attack Pidgeot I thought to myself "Okay, he's keeping in the spirit" and then nope Body Slam on everything. And if you are using Vileplume in OU, you might as well ignore any pretenses of it doing anything and run Petal Dance. The only time you are running Mega Drain is when you literally have no other options (Exeggutor, and even then you probably should be running Explosion) or you need it for coverage (Gengar for dealing with Golem / Rhydon switch-ins.)
Old 02-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #1246
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein Durant feasts on six Pokémon. (Random Battle; 18 turns)

We've had this conversation before: Random Battle Durant is one of the format's MVPs. He's usually good for one or two guaranteed KOs before he falls, but sometimes he'll run into a team like this one where nothing is safe. Because of Durant's base stats and the way the format works, he has a speed that places him out of reach of most things. That means that if you give him one Hone Claws and then have nothing that resists his attacks, you're pretty much sunk.

Tip: one mistake this player made was to switch his best Durant check in immediately. This cost him the check and allowed Durant to continue to sweep without ever taking a single hit. While I very much doubt Whiscash would've managed to OHKO, and while nothing else on his team weathered a single hit, thus indicating that the net result wouldn't have been that much different in this particular battle, it still was the wrong play. The better thing to do when you see a Durant set up like this is to send out a sacrificial lamb who can at least do something to Durant in case the Durant user opts to keep on spamming Hone Claws instead of attacking. So like, don't send out something that can only use Toxic to deal damage. That's a bad idea. But send out something that is a weaker link of your team yet should it get a free switch-in it can maybe do something with that. If you switch in your check immediately, you're almost guaranteeing your defeat: few checks can afford to take two boosted hits from a Durant. As we saw from this battle, Whiscash is not one of the Pokémon who can.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #1247
Talon87
時の彼方へ

After many years of stubbornly (or moreso lazily ) refusing to register a Smogon account, the current debate over whether or not to ban Swagger, Prankster, or the combination of the two forced my hand. You can read my thoughts here. I imagine it will be attacked viciously by all manner of vitriolic members on both sides of the fence, but meh: I presented my case.

If it's too long for you to read, the gist of it is:
  1. I'm not sure which side of the fence I'm on, but ...
  2. If we're to ban anything, then I recommend banning teams from having 3+ Pokémon with Prankster. Simple to code, should lock out Prankster abusers while still allowing non-trolls to play with their favorites -- as much as Smogon rules currently allow them to do, anyway.
  3. I draw attention to the debate over whether to ban Stealth Rock or not (Summer/Fall 2007) since I see a lot of parallels here.
Feel free to respond there if you like. Agree, disagree, whatever. Just be honest and polite. The thread could use a lot more civility. -_-;
Old 02-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #1248
Emi

Gogo civility!

Man does that thread remind me why I dislike the Smogon forums so much. There are so few actually good rational people. Guess that's comp for you. -_-
Old 02-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #1249
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Second post. I'm not really interested in spending more time on discussion in this thread though, especially not when most of the people in the thread have not given me confidence that they are able to accept criticism or hear opposing viewpoints, but I figured I would respond to him all the same since it was topical with the Stealth Rock + Rapid Spin corollary in my original post.

Thanks for the likes, guys. I'm not sure who Albacore and RyanKoopa are, though blazeVA is kinda obvious. Hopefully this might catch the attention of a few Smogon brass. I kind of doubt it since Page 30 is six feet under for most people's patience and then you couple with that just how long my post was. But who knows.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #1250
Emi

>blazeVA is kinda obvious

dood someone stole my name halp :P

I'm very tempted to bring up that SubSwagger could have been very much a strategy in Gen II with Pokemon like Raikou. So, so tempted.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON