UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 03-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #6251
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pokémon: Watched XY018. And ...

Spoiler: show
This was one of the best filler episodes of all time we've had in a long while. I want to say that it was one of the best of all time but I feel like that may just be the viewer's high talking. It was a good episode regardless.

The moment the sneak peek last week revealed the possible prominence of a loli bitch ojou, I wondered if she might end up falling for Citron in a humorous reversal of the situations Eureka is always getting Citron into. The moment the episode showed Citron's face before the title card, indicating that this was to be thought of as "a Citron episode," I was like, "Could it beeeeeeeee ...? " But I'll admit: my confidence was still only at like 10%. The thought had crossed my mind multiple times by this point but I didn't think the writers would actually do it.

But they did.

And it is glorious.

Unova gave us Dent x Cabernet, but Cabernet's signs of liking Dent were always rather vague and required the viewer to read into things; and Dent, for his part, never showed any signs of liking her back. I feel like Ally x Citron is basically that same pairing but made real. Very real. There's no arguing one's way out of this one: we have the bossy bitch who is in love with the male companion character and this time she's quite clear about her feelings. It's sort of like what might have happened if you had merged James x Jessebell with Dent x Cabernet, producing a sort of "Dent x Jessebell"-esque pairing. Because Ally's got quite a bit in common with Jessebell. And of course Citron has stuff in common with Dent too.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for bitch ojous in love, but I really love the addition of Princess Ally to the character roster. I like that she's established to have a strong Pokémon. (She only lost because of her vanity, not because her Pokémon was knocked out. For her Furfrou to hold its own against Pikachu hopefully says something for her abilities as a Pokémon trainer.) I like that the way the episode ends it does not suggest that Ally has given up on Citron. All in all, it should make for some fun future episodes if/when Princess Ally shows back up.

This episode had some great character animation. Not technically -- the budget was pretty standard here -- but aesthetically. The animators really went to town with the facefaults and other extreme faces the characters made this week. It wasn't over the top in the sense of being too much to tolerate, but it was over the top in the sense of complementing well the over-the-top events we witnessed. Hilarious faces for hilarious scenes.

As for the ostensible "main plot" of the episode, I wasn't too enamored. It's rare for me to like it when the anime's writers borrow plot points from the video games but alter the details, producing something which bears superficial resemblance to the game but not much else. The plot thread about Snorlax in XY is no exception, unfortunately. :\ I go into these things pretty open-minded, but at the end of the day I just don't like ShoPro's take better than Game Freak's. ShoPro gives us a bumbling king who needs to rouse Snorlax to rid the town of his terrible snoring; the king had his PokéFlute stolen by a local princess and is too timid to take it back from her. Game Freak gave us the lord of a castle (but not necessarily a king) who had given his PokéFlute to a local lord to whom he owed a debt; that lord is unwilling to return the PokéFlute, as it is rightly his now, but is inconveniencing the local townsfolk as a result since a Snorlax blocks their way down Route 7. I don't know why ShoPro felt the need to change it, but I liked the serious lord better than the Bobasa-like king; and while you can see above how much I enjoy Princess Ally, plot-wise I think she's rather sillier and the lord of Parfum Palace of which Game Freak conceived.

I was also disappointed that ShoPro didn't have us explore Versailles Parfum Palace more. As you may recall:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Parfum Palace: I'm sorry, do you mean Versailles? This was AWESOME! God, it looks so gorgeous! I took two photos with the gate closed -- one zoomed out and one zoomed in -- and tipped the guy Ľ500 each time. But I didn't care! Versailles!

Going inside was even more amazing. It's obvious that Game Freak went on site and were quite impressed with Versailles. Because man oh man did they do a spectacular job with Parfum Palace. While it's disappointing that the château is relatively empty JRPG-wise, that's Versailles for you. But man oh man was it exciting to explore every room, check out all of that gilded decor, go explore the gardens, etc.
Getting to go inside PokéVersailles and getting to see just how much of the real life Versailles carried over into Parfum Palace's design was an enormous treat for me. I'm disappointed that ShoPro's team didn't share that same enthusiasm for the palace interior that I did. I would have really loved for Ash & Co. to have been taken on a tour of the palace, perhaps in place of the Pikachu vs. Furfrou battle or (better yet ) the Team Rocket scene.

All's well that end's well. Despite my several complaints with the episode, I maintain that this was one hell of a fun filler episode. This is the quality of what all filler episodes should be. (Were such a thing only possible ... *sigh*) If every filler episode were like this, we wouldn't even call them filler episodes: we'd call them Pokémon, the show, and we'd say, "Man, this is a really awesome kids show."

Guess I'll have to see if I feel this strongly about the episode in the days and weeks to come.

P.S. I still like the Espurr episode better, but they're very, very different kinds of episodes.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #6252
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Mushishi S2: I haven't seen the original series but I imagine that this will be huge news for those who have since generally speaking they seem to have enjoyed the first one.
100% correct, I can't explain how happy I am to see this. S1 was one of my favourite things I've ever watched, the special was also great, and now this.

Aside from that, I'm always a fan of game adaptations so Atelier seems interesting. I don't see the necessity of a Break Blade tv series, the films are brilliant as they are. Not quite sure a 12 episode series is supposed to accomplish. Mekaku City Actors, I assume, is the show Yuki was excited for, so I'll give that a watch when it comes out.

Other than that, there might be 1 or 2 films I might look at, but everything else I can cross off the list.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #6253
Adamant
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Pokémon: Watched XY018. And ...
So what did you think of the way we handled the king's "ショボン" catchphrase? It's one of those things where you have to make some sacrifices when translating, but I think we came up with something that worked pretty well.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #6254
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
So what did you think of the way we handled the king's "ショボン" catchphrase? It's one of those things where you have to make some sacrifices when translating, but I think we came up with something that worked pretty well.
I thought it was fine. I took his speech mannerism to simply be him ending his sentences with the first few syllables of his clan name, Shabonneau, so I probably would have had him end everything in -shabbon (going with the English spelling) myself; given your guys' predilection for Japanese names, I guess it would have then been -shobon (going with what he actually said, matching the Japanese name for the castle and clan). But I can see how his shobons might have been a Fraponais "jya bon," i.e. "not good", and thus you guys preserved this by going for the shortened c'est pas bon rather than a fuller ce n'est pas bon. I'd have to go back through the episode and see if he only ever uses the expression at times where "that's not good" would be contextually appropriate. That would influence my decision on whether to go for just transliterating what he said vs. attempting to translate it for a possible meaning.

EDIT: I was not aware that しょぼん is onomotopoiea for "down-hearted; dejected". Given this knowledge, I guess that introduces a third angle for how to approach translating his speech mannerism. Not sure I would have gone for c'est pas bon in this third case, but rather something like a sigh or some other English word used to indicate downheartedness.

Last edited by Talon87; 03-05-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #6255
Adamant
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
EDIT: I was not aware that しょぼん is onomotopoiea for "down-hearted; dejected". Given this knowledge, I guess that introduces a third angle for how to approach translating his speech mannerism. Not sure I would have gone for c'est pas bon in this third case, but rather something like a sigh or some other English word used to indicate downheartedness.
That's where it comes from, yeah (and what the name of the castle is supposed to imply - "Shabboneau" is just a weird Frenchification the English translators came up with). We debated it a bit, but we wanted something that sounded at least somewhat similar to what he was audibly saying, so we felt this was a decent compromise.

Last edited by Adamant; 03-05-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #6256
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Looking at the episode, it seems he only ever uses it when distressed, so I think either way works. Had he used it even when he was in good spirits, I would have opted for the transliteration route myself. I don't think anyone would debate that he's saying a portion of the name of his clan in either case, and so that'd be the route I'd be inclined to take. But since he does only seem to use it when telling Ash & Co. his sad tale, when TR steals the flute from him, etc, then I think going for a translation rather than a transliteration is fine. At that point, your only real concern would have to be, "Will our viewers know enough French to understand this line? And if not, is that going to negatively impact their viewing experience?" I think the answer to the first question would be that many (though, in the modern era, probably not most ^^; ) English native speakers know at least enough basic French to handle your offering of c'est pas bon. And I think the answer to the second would be no.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #6257
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Doppel linked to a page of Inu Yashiki in the Golden Time thread and I ended up reading the first chapter. Depressing and strange, I'd say of it. ^^; Though I am curious to know how much more there is. I can't seem to find any information in English. Trying to search in Japanese isn't much more helpful, although it does confirm the existence of material not shown in Chapter 01. No Wikipedia article in either language. Did this manga just start or something? It kind of seems that way from what I can tell -- all of the excited Japanese journalists reporting on GANTZ's author writing something new, their stories are all dated to late January 2014.

I can't even get a clear answer on whether the title ought to be romanized as Inu Yashiki (implying a house for dogs) or as Inuyashiki (implying the title matches the family's name of Inuyashiki). Everyone seems to be putting a space in between the two, but unless the author's come out and said that this is how it should be done I don't see how they can conclude just from Chapter 01 that the title is referring to a house for dogs rather than the family name. I mean, sure, obviously it's probably a pun, with the Inuyashikis' newly-purchased home being the titular "dog house", but still. This is as frustrating as if people kept spelling the title Aka Gi instead of Akagi because Akagi was shown to wear a red (aka) gi (gi).
Old 03-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #6258
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I don't know much about it except the author, unfortunately. Given the chapter length I surmise it's a monthly series.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:30 AM   #6259
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Okay Talon, no more putting it off! I haven't forgotten about this show. The next thing I'm going to watch is Karei Naru Ichizoku (gah, untranslatable poetic title?!). I even had to shut down DCD begging me to play Rance for this lol.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #6260
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
Okay Talon, no more putting it off! I haven't forgotten about this show. The next thing I'm going to watch is Karei Naru Ichizoku (gah, untranslatable poetic title?!). I even had to shut down DCD begging me to play Rance for this lol.
That's great. Karei Naru Ichizoku is one of the greatest stories I've ever seen in my life. No one story can captivate everyone, but everyone whom I've known to watch Karei Naru Ichizoku has come out of it remarking how spectacular it was. I'm loath to gush so strongly about stories nowadays after years of experiences (on both sides of the fence) with stories' power being lessened by expectations built up too highly by gushing reviews, but I still value the series as much today as I did when I first watched it six years ago. I can only hope that it manages to meet or exceed your expectations despite the high bar set by rave reviews you've read.

As for the title, 華麗なる一族 approximately translates into English as "The Magnificent Family". You can call it that if you like. DramaWiki offers "The Grand Family" which also works. Other titles which use the 華麗なる construction include "The Great Gatsby" (Karei Naru Gatsby) and "Brilliant Legacy" (Karei Naru Isan).
Old 03-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #6261
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
It seems we have a chart for next season's anime.
Mekaku City Actors:

Y.

Gokukoku no Brynhildr:

Looks pretty. Plot sounds potentially interesting.

Isshuukan Friends:

Saw a preview of this a while back. Seemed cute enough, will watch.

Aside from those... Eh, not much catches my eye. Might check out the pixiv Magical Girl project thing just for the novelty of it. Maybe Flower Incest and Assassin School if I'm bored. (Man, I see what Mcsweeney means by all the unnecessary non-translations. =3= Can't be bothered to type/remember any of these names.)

Also lol Ping Pong the Animation.

On a random note, can I just say I've fallen in love with Goose House (the group who did Gin no Saji S2's ED). All the members are adorable, and it looks like they're having so much fun in the video. They have a lot of nice covers on YT too. Hope to hear more from these folks. =3
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:25 AM   #6262
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Alright ladies and gents, I'm in need of thy aid.

I'm looking for an anime/manga/VN, anything that involves any of the following criteria.

-girl without a father (daddy issues)
-totally orphaned girl
-shrine maiden
-archery girl
-"noble girl"

The noble girl is like a traditional Japanese girl, but also morally upright. Usually sports the hime cut.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #6263
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
Also, I found an interesting observation someone made about the order of the PV releases that supports an earlier theory that I had. Based on this, next week's should be Mekakushi-dan member #7's.
Well, so much for that theory. But yay kawaii shota!

(Actually, this may be a bit of foreshadowing...)

Also, the official air date has been announced for April 12th!
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #6264
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Alright ladies and gents, I'm in need of thy aid.

I'm looking for an anime/manga/VN, anything that involves any of the following criteria.

-girl without a father (daddy issues)
-totally orphaned girl
-shrine maiden
-archery girl
-"noble girl"

The noble girl is like a traditional Japanese girl, but also morally upright. Usually sports the hime cut.
Was willing to help but you've been too greedy for me and I got burnt out before reaching the D's. Far too many permutations @ far too many characters across far too many series. Focus on one request at a time please.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #6265
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I ranked the request in order from most important to least, so "girl without a father (daddy issues)" would be paramount. The others all kind of splinter off from that one.

For example, I already have ToraDora and Utawarerumono for that subject. I'm looking for others as well. And it doesn't even have to be anime/manga! I'm willing to look at Western media too.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #6266
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Isn't "girl without a father" like every anime girl ever? You seldom see parents in anime.

Haruka from Minami-ke fits a lot of those criteria, but I doubt she's what you're looking for. Also you asked me a question like this over AIM and I offered up Pearl or Maya from Phoenix Wright, who seemed to be exactly what you were looking for, but you shrugged them off so I give up!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 03-08-2014 at 06:28 PM.
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #6267
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not a fan of the "daddy issues" clarification myself. It's far too subjective, and in no way does it accurately describe all (or, I would say, even most) anime characters who lack a father.

But if you approach his request as just "Tell me characters who have a mother but not a father," then it becomes more manageable. Serena (Pokémon XY) is one example. Anyone raised by a single female (AIR's Misuzu, for example) could also work.

Unfortunately, I think he wants "daddy issues" girls. And I'm just not even comfortable with that sort of list, let alone eager to waste my time on something so very subjective.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #6268
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I guess "daddy issues" is a pretty loaded term, huh? People have been asking me to clarify that all day. Knowing my personality, there's no way I'd be interested in those types of issues. Come now!

Let's try another angle, then: rich, intelligent, mature Japanese girls.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #6269
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Maturity is subjective. Is Tsumugi (K-On!) mature? Is Eri (School Rumble)? Is Funabashi (Gingitsune)? I could see people saying yes or no for all three of those girls. Especially since maturity is such a loaded concept that it invokes distinct, different meanings depending on the speaker and the context. Is a child who acts mature for her age -- a 14-year old acting like a 30-year old, for instance -- but still behaves like a child in certain moments deserving of the "mature" label? Chitanda (Hyouka) is very mature at times, passing for a mother, but is incredibly like a 6-year old child, full of wonder and easily amazed, at other times.

Tip: quit loading up. :p You went from five different archetypes to one archetype with three narrowing characteristics. Originally all you'd asked for was "noble girls," i.e. daughters of the nobility. You should've left it at that.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #6270
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Well, I don't agree that maturity is that loaded a word. If someone has a childish hue to their personality, they are completely childish to me. It's like tainting water - it's only pure if there's zero taint. 1%-99% taint is still tainted water. Chitanda, similarly, is someone I've never seen as mature, she's always been childish because of it. I don't see Eri as mature either, but Yakumo is.

Yukishiro Honoka, Aoki Reika, Minazuki Karen, Mizuno Ami and Mitsurugi Meiya are all characters I'm looking at, but only BBB and LBC are familiar with that archetype of character. If I could even call it an archetype, because the list of characters with those traits is pretty darn small.

I looked at your MAL Talon and nothing stood out at me as containing the character I'm looking for. I think Aoyama Mokoto from Love Hina is *close*, and would be an acceptable substitute character type in lieu of exactly what I am looking for. At least, Mokoto before trying to charm Keitaro after Naru already won.

HOW ABOUT THIS: Girls who are from a family involved with a major Japanese corporation or zaibatsu.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #6271
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Note: wrote this post up before your last one so too bad.

Rich, Intelligent, Mature (in MY opinion) Girls:
  • Yagyuu Kyuubei (Gintama)
    • from a noble family
    • not unintelligent
    • mature
  • Nase Mitsuki (Kyoukai no Kanata)
    • from a noble family
    • intelligent
    • mature
  • Saitou Kaede (Angelic Layer)
    • if her wealth level is anything like her brother, Kokubunji Minoru (of Chobits)'s ...
    • intelligent
    • mature
  • various female characters from Code Geass
    • royalty
    • intelligent
    • mature
  • Inada Tamako (Silver Spoon / Gin no Saji)
    • from an entrepreneurial farming family that is pretty darn wealthy
    • intelligent
    • mature
  • Funabashi Hiwako (Gingitsune)
    • wealthy; possibly from a noble family given their old-fashioned lifestyles at home
    • intelligent
    • fairly mature
  • Princess Luna (Level E)
    • royalty
    • intelligent
    • relatively mature
  • Ren Hakuei (Magi)
    • royalty
    • intelligent
    • mature
  • Maou (Maoyuu)
    • royalty
    • intelligent
    • relatively mature
  • many of the female characters in Maria-sama ga Miteru
    • from noble families
    • intelligent
    • mature
    Examples would include Ogasawara Sachiko (Rosa Chinensis en bouton), Torii Eriko (Rosa Foetida), and Mizuno Youko (Rosa Chinensis).
  • various female characters from Naruto, I'm sure
    • from noble families
    • intelligent
    • mature
    The "maturity" one is up in the air for characters like timid Hinata and gruff, tomboyish Tsunade, but I'm sure you'd be able to find someone who satisfies your criteria here.
  • Kaja Bergmann (Natsu no Arashi)
    • presumably from a noble family and/or presumably wealthy given her enrollment at Arashi's school
    • intelligent
    • mature
  • Tohno Akiha (Tsukihime)
    • from a noble family; wealthy
    • intelligent
    • mature for the most part
  • Shijou Takane (The iDOLM@STER)
    • wealthy; presumably from a noble family given her upbringing
    • relatively intelligent
    • mature
  • various girls from the Touhou franchise if we can count them
    • from noble families and/or wealthy
    • intelligent
    • mature
    The maturity will be very subjective. Examples I'd personally advance would include Remilia Scarlet and Houraisen Kaguya, but I could easily see people arguing against either of those. (Remilia too petulant like a child in some interpretations; Kaguya too doll-like innocent and nannied by Eirin in some interpretations.) Anyway, I'm sure you could find a Touhou who fits your criteria.

Last edited by Talon87; 03-08-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #6272
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That's a mexcellent list! It definitely gives me some material to work from, thanks!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #6273
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I decided I would go ahead and read Kamichama Karin. I haven't read anything from Koge Donbo in a while, and this is actually complete, so why the hell not?! One of the worst things about reading manga is the fact that most of them I run into are ongoing or are dropped projects. I wonder if this will be a sweet manga all the way through like Snow Fairy, or be sweet turned bitter like Pita Ten? ONLY TIME WILL TELL!

EDIT: Nevermind, fuck this! This is god damn corny. The characters' actions make no sense at all. They're just trying to progress the story with cliches. No wonder I dropped this so long ago!

Last edited by big bad birtha; 03-10-2014 at 05:56 PM.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #6274
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

I'm on a sample hunt and I'm looking through anime OST's. Anyone know any good OST's with some good Jazzy/Soulful pieces apart from the obvious ones (Bebop, Baccano, funky series like that)? Something with a good bit of flute would be nice.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #6275
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
I'm on a sample hunt and I'm looking through anime OST's. Anyone know any good OST's with some good Jazzy/Soulful pieces apart from the obvious ones (Bebop, Baccano, funky series like that)? Something with a good bit of flute would be nice.
I don't, sorry. :\

One piece that instantly comes to mind though is from a video game, not an anime: "The Fragrance of Dark Coffee," Godot's theme song from Ace Attorney 3. Jazz club version here. Same version but with rain here. (Not sure if you've ever heard this before, but some time back in 2010, someone discovered that you could combine Godot's theme song with this ambient rain noise-generating website to produce a synesthesic effect whereby you felt like you were honest to god typing from an apartment in Paris. It went viral and was passed all around Facebook and webforums and the like for about a week.)

Last edited by Talon87; 03-11-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime