UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 06-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
So I'm interested in Linux.

My computer died again, meaning I have to call DELL and ask them what's up, and I'm sick of this (all I did was install F-Secure, which made some registry edits and suddenly MEMORY DUMP!!) and I want Linux. I've heard Linux is cool and sweet and totally awesome and it'll make me hip with the script kiddie crowd.

But more importantly, it's safe/secure (which I'm overtly paranoid about) and I don't have to deal with Windows being an arse.

What are the pro's/con's of Linux? Could someone help me learn how to use it?

*looks at dami and Morg*

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Re: So I'm interested in Linux.

I talked to Snor from BMG earlier today about it. He said that a number of applications I use (EViews, old software like Cool Edit Pro, Jasc PSP, Sony Soundforge, video stuff) won't work with Linux, though I have the option of using "WINE" to use some applications.

pyMol apparently can work though.

Talon uses Knoppix IIRC, what are the differences between them? I think I might be able to get support from Dell using Ubuntu.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-11-2008, 12:25 AM   #3
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Don't get Linux if you really depend on Windows applications. If a program is written specifically for one operating system, it will only run on that OS. There are of course plenty of open source alternatives that run on Linux, such as Gaim and Gimp, but you really should do some research and find out if everything you want to do can easily be done on Linux. Most commercial software is Windows-only, and of course most games are Windows-only (the argument used by almost every Linux hater I have met).

Knoppix might be a good start since it is a live CD, which means you boot from the CD instead of permanently installing it on your system. It would be a great way to get a feel for Linux and find out what it can and can't do before you commit to installing some other distro.

If you do decide to install Linux, I highly recommend Ubuntu. You might also want to partition your drives and install Windows first so that you can fall back on Windows applications when necessary.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

If I use a Knoppix CD, does this mean that the programs I have on my HD are carried over to the new OS? That way I can test if they can work in Linux?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
The Morg

They won't run because they are Windows applications. You have to get either a Linux version or find an alternative Linux program that does the same thing (and there are many).

If you want to use them via WINE, be sure to search for your programs in the Wine Application Database to see how well they will run, since most programs will lose some functionality this way.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
The Morg

Here are some cool things to check out:

http://www.gimp.org/about/introduction.html
http://www.heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3
http://www.kinodv.org/article/static/2
http://apps.linuxaudio.org/

Many of these may be included on the Knoppix CD, so give that a try and see if you like it.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Talon uses Knoppix IIRC, what are the differences between them? I think I might be able to get support from Dell using Ubuntu.
Talon plugged Knoppix as a boot disc but his advice fell (mostly) on deaf ears. Knoppix is a pretty bare-bones Linux distro (though you can get the DVD version, and that has more pre-packaged into it), and if you're running it as you're meant to be -- from the optical disc drive -- then you're not going to be able to make any long-lasting architectural changes to it.

EDIT: the point of Knoppix is "Use me when a hacker has sent your Windows spiraling out of control. You just put me in the CD tray, turn off the PC, turn it back on, and [assuming default conditions for most BIOS configs] I will be preferentially loaded before your bum copy of Windows is. From here, we have several options: try to find the virus and deal with it, try to export your files before erasing your hard drive, or even use me as a temporary operating system until you figure out what to do next."

As someone who has installed Ubuntu on a POS computer (whereby "POS" I mean it had 32 MB RAM iirc), let me just say this:

1) you will want to have a working Internet connection. Ubuntu can be installed sans Internet, but if someone tells you all you need is to install from the CD and you're ready to go they're WRONG OR LYING, namely because Ubuntu leaves it up to the user to, post-installation, make sure he gets all the necessary video and audio codecs. As I learned the very, very [strike:seyb62tx]hard[/strike:seyb62tx] frustrating way.

2) don't be scared by how ugly it looks. Mine always stayed ugly, but I've seen some seamlessly "looks just like Windows / MacOSX / [insert desire here]" user interfaces.

3) Ubuntu pretty much runs like Windows if you want it to, minus compatibility. By this I mean "don't think you're going to have to be in the terminal all the time to figure shit out." You should be in the terminal all the time (the only way to learn to swim is to drown, or something like that), but you can treat Ubuntu the same way you do Windows, using your mouse and the GUI to accomplish almost everything.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:34 PM   #8
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Regarding Linux forcing users to use restricted accounts and not administrator -

Am I still allowed to install programs on the restricted account? As things were previously I thought I had to install everything on the admin acount and then operate on the restricted to use all those programs but couldn't install anything. This question applies to both Windows and Ubuntu.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-13-2008, 05:31 AM   #9
Kasumi Violet
Boulder Badge

Ubuntu is ugly? Geez, it's like the prettiest Linux I've seen (admittedly I'm kind of out of the loop, but still).

Ubuntu is the flavor of Linux that's on my laptop, I recommend it.

- KV
Kasumi Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
The Morg

Man if you are worried about ugliness you need to get compiz and make mac and windows users die a little inside. w

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc