UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKΙMON

Old 05-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #276
deoxys
Fog Badge

I don't care about the graphics. I just want a good game.

Last I checked that's what a good game was all about. Also, if I'm bot mistaken, the gamefreak dev team isn't very big, so creating 600 animated sprites plus battle animations, new regions, story, etc. Seems like its already got a lot on its plate. Besides, like blastoise said, I feel the 3d on the DS is good, but not enough for good looking battles. Besides, I would rather have a batle style similar to the world ends with you in terms of looks, sort of, but I don't think that's going to happen. Also, if they change it up, it could enrage some fans and instead they keep everyone for the most part satisfied with more of the same.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #277
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Like I don't. This is flamebaiting like none other. I could express how I'm not a graphics whore but there's little point at this juncture. You've pretty much called me a rapist as far as verdicts go: guilty no matter what evidence comes to surface.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #278
deoxys
Fog Badge

No, I don't think that. I just feel you're being way to crictical of the game before enough info is out. I do agree there isn't enough change. I would love a full out 3d game, but this looks pretty decent so far... not what I was hoping for, but I won't pass it up because of that... <=/

It could still be good. All we have are 5 pokemon and a city and some screens....

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 05-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #279
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
No, I don't think that. I just feel you're being way to crictical of the game before enough info is out.

[...] It could still be good. All we have are 5 pokemon and a city and some screens....
How true. And thank you.

I'm just very jaded with GameFreak at this point. 3rd Gen looked a lot nicer than 2nd Gen but given what we knew the GBA could do it was something of a disappointment. 4th Gen in turn looked a lot nicer than 3rd Gen (so much so that when I first returned to 3rd Gen not even one calendar week after starting Pearl I was shocked by how positively primeval Emerald appeared!) but once again it fell leagues behind what we knew (courtesy of other studios) the DS was capable of. And now we get a 5th generation which, honestly, feels like a graphical step backwards from 4th Gen. Static critters aren't subject to jaggies. And boy do the jaggies show in the sample battle videos. Static (i.e. not rendered in real-time) buildings, likewise, aren't subject to jaggies -- but what's surprising is that the jaggies of 4th Gen's buildings seem to have grown worse, not better, in 5th Gen from the sample videos we've seen (of the heroine walking around the perimeter of the circular Hiun City). I ...

I just am very jaded, is all. To the point that I'm not bluffing when I say I'm seriously thinking I won't bother purchasing either title. I'm thinking that I'll just sit this one out and wait for the inevitable Gen 5.5 or Gen 6 title which will appear on Nintendo's next handheld. Black and White is feeling distastefully like The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess -- something which came out at the end of one console's lifetime when it really should have been delayed by a year and been an early flagship title for the next console in line.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh well.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #280
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

>4th Gen in turn looked a lot nicer than 3rd Gen

Talon's wrongess strikes again!

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #281
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraJolteon View Post
>4th Gen in turn looked a lot nicer than 3rd Gen

Talon's wrongess strikes again!
You can't be serious, ZJ. That's a pretty pathetic attempt at trolling a subject that isn't even worth arguing about

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 05-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #282
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

It's not worth arguing about because it's so obvious I'm correct. Everyone knows well done 2D will always be better than poorly done 3D.

Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #283
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's true that good 2D beats bad 3D. But that's when you compare Guilty Gear with Virtua Fighter 4. That's not when you compare Diamond with Emerald.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #284
Stlbk
taco...

Send a message via AIM to Stlbk
I enjoy how you're jaded over Pokemon.
"I will just never love Pokemon like before! You broke my heart too many times GameFreak! You promised you would give me better graphics and all I get is a shoddy close-up of a poorly designed 3D city!"

It IS just a game...life will move on.

As for further note, I prefer sprites on the DS because of the battle progression.
Look at stadium games and how far off the deep end they went. Each battle takes a good 10-20 minutes and makes me wish for my DS.
Stlbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #285
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I just am very jaded, is all. To the point that I'm not bluffing when I say I'm seriously thinking I won't bother purchasing either title.
I think all this bellyaching might be better tolerated when you're actually arguing from stuff we know and not making grand, sweeping generalizations about major mechanical changes Game Freak may or may not have made based on some very, very bare bones info (when compared to what is typically in the games themselves).

And beyond tech, I still prefer 2D Pokemon designs over 3D because after playing PBR it's obvious some Pokemon were never designed with third-dimension sensibilities in mind.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:30 AM   #286
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re. Paragraph 1 of Blast's: Fair enough.

Re. Paragraph 2/3 of Stlbk's: Umm, might want to turn that DS of yours on more often, dude. DS battles take 10-15 minutes per 6v6 battle. (Multiplayer with humans != creaming the in-game NPCs)
Old 05-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #287
Stlbk
taco...

Send a message via AIM to Stlbk
They may take 10-15 for human battles, but I'm referring strictly to the battles versus computers opponents.

I could care less about length of time for real life people because it's a competition, not mindless repetition.

In any case, I do like the moving camera during battle as well as the Pokemon constantly being in motion.
Maybe moves that interact with each other, such as Detect/Protect dodging other attacks, would be even more elaborated on?
Stlbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #288
deoxys
Fog Badge

I've always been partial to the idea of the implementation of a dodge option which gives about fifty percent dodge rate , but that would defeat the purpose of many things.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #289
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Ash Ketchum's favorite move.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #290
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

And to think deoxys has the nerve to accuse me of making troll posts.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #291
deoxys
Fog Badge

Yeah I won't lie, I was only half serious

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 05-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #292
deoxys
Fog Badge

Uh oh.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #293
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Is the evil organization that's trying to take over Manhattan going to be Team Metaltron?

Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #294
deoxys
Fog Badge

Or team Fox News.

Also. Happy birthday.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 05-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #295
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That proves nothing. I assure you you'll be able to easily find similar "proofs" for other port cities. SURPRISE! 21st-century port cities all have skyscrapers so densely packed in that it looks like their abutting the waterfront, i.e. directly adjacent to the piers, and therefore just like Hiun City.

Also, surprise -- port cities being built on semi- or wholly-detached segments of land, therefore requiring suspension bridging? *yawn* San Fransisco, New York City, Hong Kong, on and on it goes. Hiun City is in no way remarkable: it is a cookie-cutter port city, and that makes proving that it is specifically based off of any one port city an impossibly difficult task.

If the photo you gave us looked 95%+ identical to Hiun City, I'd be all, "Yeah! Wow! It's totally confirmed! It's Manhattan, baby! " (Minus the happy faces. -_-; ) But LOL @ how many differences there are between Hiun City's picture and the one shown of NYC. Not even 70%, man. Building density is majorly different. Pier shape is majorly different (LOL, circles != squares, people!). Shapes of the not-just-rectangular-prism skyscrapers are different. The only similarities, as stated, are those shared by all major port cities: a bunch of tall buildings close to the waterfront with a bridge in the distance. Y-a-w-n.

Last edited by Talon87; 05-19-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #296
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Even if it is based on NYC, who cares? Like there's a billion games with NYC knock-offs. Liberty City anyone?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #297
Talon87
時の彼方へ

^ Exactly. Everyone outside NYC may be all "OMG! Pokemon in NYC, FUCK YEAH! " but New Yorkers are gonna be, "*yawn*, yeah, so what? We got the Ghostbusters, Spider-Man, King Kong, Godzilla, and that British dude with his giant peach." ;D
Old 05-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #298
deoxys
Fog Badge

Yes, I agree... also, I did not make the battery park/hiun city pictute, I found it while lurking about. I really don't understand the media obsession with placing story lines in generic popular US cities, it gets boring... I suppose to keep it familiar to a large population? Oh, and NYC fans, Loki included, how would you feel about a NYCesque pokemon game? Meh, cool, or interesting?
Old 05-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #299
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

They should set a Pokιmon game on the moon. Clefairy is the new Zubat. In fact, it's worse than Zubat, as rather than being the most common Pokιmon everywhere, it's the only Pokιmon everywhere.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #300
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I'm not exactly a NYC fan, I just live in NYC. I love this city just like you must love your hometown. Unless you hate your hometown, in which case, it must suck for you.

It's nice seeing NYC in movies/games/various forms of media mostly because you spot the similarities. In fact, my friend got on GTA4 and actually found where his house should have had been if Liberty City was exactly the same as NYC.

NYC is used simply because it's so famous. Like seeing a famous movie star in lots of movies.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKΙMON