UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 06-02-2019, 12:49 AM   #51
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Virtual console exists, so that's not true. Nintendo's a small-minded company so shutting down Bank is definitely something they'd do, especially if it can result in an upsell.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:35 AM   #52
Heather
Naga's Voice

Virtual Console only connects through Bank at this time, as far as we know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #53
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
His point more was that Virtual Console allows them to ignore backward compatibility issues by just making you purchase the game again in a way where it can be used with mainstream games. I've been calling for a while than Gen III is slated for a VC release for some time, and this would be a great way to push that.

Quote:
Difficult- not impossible. There's a difference. By the time they started making types of DS that didn't have a GBA port, most people who cared about transferring up from Gen 3 already had a device what met that need, or else was still able to acquire one somehow. To this day, it's still possible, even if not the easiest of things to accomplish. But if they end Bank, every main series game from gens 3 through 7 other than Let's Go are cut off from SwSh and onward forever. When they announced Home- hell, when they first announced Bank, if memory serves- they made a point of assuring us that they know how important backwards compatibility is to us fans. It might become more difficult over the years due to discontinuing certain pieces of hardware, but I feel like they'd draw the line at outright stopping it at any point. We were pissed when Ruby and Sapphire pulled that and they know it.

If ever they discontinue Bank's online capabilities, they'll first convert it so it stores Pokémon directly on the 3DS or something, I'm willing to bet.
"Difficult" in this case though actually does mean pretty much impossible. You not only need an original DS / DS Lite (which, by the way, its been a while since they were last manufactured, so they're going to be more expensive by principle) but also the corresponding games to do it. It's never been in Nintendo's design policy that this method of backward compatibility would ever be used in a modern setting. We're essentially daisy chaining. That's part of why the DSi and then further the 3DS ditched the GBA slot and part of why pretty much every Gen III Pokemon was obtainable in some way during Gen VI and onwards. It's why ORAS gives you Sinnoh starters and the ability to catch Gen IV legends. They've been signaling to us for a while that previous gen compatibility was going to go away.

Something to remember about Gen III is that the difference in hardware was what prevented Gen I and Gen II Pokemon from being transferred over to Gen III games, and I suspect that the same issue is going to prevent it this generation, at least as an excuse.

Nintendo cutting backward compatibility would suck pretty hard, but it would make business sense for them to do that. I imagine most of the playerbase would be pissed for a time and then forget about it and move on to buying SwSh anyways, like with LGPE.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #54
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I read that a technical analysis of the GBA suggested that there was the potential on its motherboard for compatibility with the Gameboy games. It has no purpose outside of Pokemon, but it made its way into the hardware design.

But FRLG were already under development by the GBA launch and Nintendo wanted a way to sell those games to the preexisting Gameboy owners, who were still a substantial presence by that point. So they hard locked most of the Kanto dex behind that the excuse of hardware limitations, but it's one they build into the handheld.

Apple and Google have basically done similar things to promote their product tie-in. A few weeks ago Google did a purge of apps that allowed YouTube videos to play in the background, because they introduced that as a in-app purchase to their YouTube Premium app. Apple keeps the FM radio in their iPhones disabled because it doesn't want free FM radio to compete against iTunes.

It's very small minded, but what can people do? A whole lot of nothing.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #55
Heather
Naga's Voice

dynamax bewear is your new god

Quote:
Old 06-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #56
phoopes
Double Dragon

I think I saw this literally every generation and then I get used to them but the new 'Mons look ugly
Old 06-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #57
Emi

Should we round out the list of generic, meaningless complaints by saying they "look like digimon?"

Also Wooloo is amazing shut up.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #58
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

DIGIMON

DIGITAL MONSTERS

DIGIMON ARE THE CHAMPIONS

IT MAKES SENSE

LEON IS THE CHAMPION

LEON IS LEOMON
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #59
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Link or embed the direct jerkfaces. I didn't know what was going on!

Spoiler: show

BORKED

I'm so glad Ash or Dia are winning the Pokemon League this year so I can finally eject myself from this franchise.

"tfw you set your expectations so low, you ended up in Hell."
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 06-05-2019 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spare the popup blockers
Old 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #60
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Should we round out the list of generic, meaningless complaints by saying they "look like digimon?"

Also Wooloo is amazing shut up.
My initial impression was everything except "Murkrow, but better" looks dumb. Maybe because I'm secretly an edgelord, who knows. After rewatching and having more time to digest, here's where I stand:

Gossifleur/Eldegoss: First of all I guess I'm just surprised that they showed an evolution of a presumably early game 'Mon in this direct. Gossifleur I'm decidedly unimpressed by, but I think Eldegoss is neat. Best afro still goes to Bouffalant though. My unrealistic hope is the the shiny Eldegoss gets Miror B hair. I'd be able to die happy with that.

Wooloo: It's literally just a chibi sheep. While that makes it cute for sure... it's literally just a chibi sheep. From what I hear it's getting a lot of love but I definitely think this one's a bit overrated. I do like Wooloo but just not as much as everyone else.

Corviknight: I'm actually pretty stoked, this guy looks so cool. I was thinking it was going to be Dark/Flying when I first saw it but Steel/Flying is super interesting. Definitely something I would consider adding to my team. Though given it's the generic 'Mon that is basically the Fly HM I'm not sure how strong it's going to be.

Drednaw: This one... is tough to look at to be honest. I think it's easily the worst looking one out of the bunch, like it's just straight ugly. I've come around on stuff like this before because it'll have some endearing quality (Druddigon comes to mind) but yeah... not feeling this one.

Zacian: I'm kicking myself for not putting this down in writing (I think) but I TOTALLY called that the Sword legendary was going to be a wolf with a sword in its mouth, similar to Great Grey Wolf Sif from Dark Souls. I initially thought it looked pretty dumb and "overdesigned" (a criticism I've been thinking since like Gen 5 with the Kyurem formes) but I think looking at the artwork they have on the website really made me come around to it. Much better looking than what we got in the trailer. Definitely buying Sword version.

Zamazenta: This dude's name is a mouthful lol. I thought it looked even dumber than Zacian at first view but again, seeing website artwork helped. Still want to get Sword because I generally like offensive Pokemon better and Zacian looks cooler IMO but it's really not that bad.

My first impression would have probably been to give the new batch a 2 stars out of 5, but I'll bump it up to 3/5.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #61
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Designs are whatever every generation. I personally think on the whole there is a downward trend - TPCI knows that cute designs are more marketable than "badarse" ones, so that pressures the design team to include more and more "cute" designs, which tend to be simpler and rounder. Consider, the overwhelmingly most popular Pokemon in Gen VI are Rowlet and Primarina. Followed by Litten. Unsurprisingly, the Alola teams heavily feature these specific evolutions.

We should be discussing Dynamaxing. Come on, I know you all want to.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #62
phoopes
Double Dragon

I mean I think it has potential to be a really cool battle mechanic but I want to see just how much that "power boost" really is. Like it's only limited to 3 turns which makes me think it'll make Pokemon stronger than Mega Evolution since that lasts the duration of the battle. And if that's the case we could be dealing with a pretty broken mechanic. Like are my puny, normal-sized Pokemon even going to be able to make a dent in my opponent's? Or am I going to have to use my Dynamax in reaction to my opponent or try to jump the gun on them and predict it so they don't get a free KO on me? Too early to say.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #63
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I personally think it's the ultimate form of laziness. GameFreak went from designing alternate forms for Pokemon (Megas), to designing cutscene nukes (Z-Moves), and now they're simply blowing up the models and combining the two gimmicks mechanically.

On paper, it sounds like combining a Mega/Z-Move into one Pokemon for three turns. Your regular moves are replaced by Max Moves, which sounds a lot like Z-Moves, and there's allegedly a stat boost to go along with the Dynamax (similar to Mega Evolution).

During the Direct I was like "whatever" until I had to cringe in horror at that mechanic. Sure, it's nice that they're taking advantage of the scaling the Switch allows that the DS didn't...but this is sooo stupid.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #64
Crys

The idea seems horrific to play against, but it all depends on how the mechanic works.

What pokemon does it work on? Does it count down while switched out? Does it work on megas? Does it need an item? Does it get stat boosts? Stuff like that.

I think at least for VGC this year, it'll be tolerable. We already use a lot of phasers (Roar for xern this year, for example), Protect for turn stalls, Fake Out, redirection, speed control, intimidate, sleep etc. Stalling and outplaying overpowered stuff is already the norm for us.

Depending on how they approach it though, singles could be a fucking mess. Imagine a boosted Kartana Dynamaxing. Or a Magearna achieving peak soul heart performance off of 3 Dynamaxed turns.

We'll see though. It's possible the mechanic turns out fine. Who knows.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:57 PM   #65
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

OK. Opinions tiiiiiiime~

Gossifleur and Eldegoss: Interesting. Not bad, but I'm not sure if I'd end up using one myself.

Wooloo: Not baa-aa-aa-aad. No, but seriously, I like this, it's cute. Might consider using one myself, but not completely sure yet.

Corvinkight: This thing looks pretty cool, no denying it.

Drednaw: I like the design. Honestly starting to consider this one as well, though I did see Seismitoad in the Wild Area, so... there's definitely a few contenders for the team's Water-type.

Zacian and Zamazenta: They look epic, and the names are fun to say or even just type out. Not sure I'm ready to pick my version based on that alone, though. I want to know a little more about version exclusives, personally.

Dynamax: I know this is just another gimmick, I know this is probably gonna screw over anyone hoping for more new Mega Evolutions or Z-Moves. But HOT DAMN, this looks FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!! Also, I feel like making it last 3 turns might be a decent way to balance it out.

Max Raid Battles: YOU CHUCK A GIANT PREMIER BALL AT THEM AND IT MAKES A SMALL CRATER WHEN IT HITS THE GROUND WHY DO I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!?!??!!?!?!

Wild Area: This looks so cool. I like that you have complete control over the camera here.

Rotom Phone: It's... an interesting idea. Part of me wanted to see them move away from having a Rotom in the Pokédex, but part of me wants to see them actually work out the kinks, smooth out the issues that we all had with the Rotom Dex. This could be interesting.

New characters: Interesting bunch. Hop seems to pick the starter weak to ours, but at least they confirmed that he's one of our rivals, as opposed to being our only rival. Gives me hope. And Leon... I'm gonna make a bold prediction here and say that Leon's gonna end up the bad guy. Yeah, he's the Champion, but just something about how they were playing up his winning personality and how everyone loves him... I dunno, something ain't sitting right with me about the guy. Just kind of a gut feeling.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #66
phoopes
Double Dragon

Figured I'd post this rumor/leak since it's been pretty legit so far. Predicted a LOT of really specific things back on May 23rd, and there's still more in here that could be revealed over the coming months.

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/...182/#463209182
Old 06-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #67
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Every year there are real leaks mixed with the fakes. Google reveals all. I was JUST ON MY WAY HERE to suggest that there might be two gimmicks in this game.

Way to steal my thunderbolt phoopes. :p
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #68
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I do believe we're starting to get to the point where I'm beginning to put together more of my team than just the starter- as time goes on I'm giving more and more consideration to the possibility of using Drednaw on my team. I liked it fine to begin with, but it seems to be growing on me more and more over time. So right now the team's looking like Scorbunny and very possibly Drednaw.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #69
Heather
Naga's Voice

bewear is 100% on my team and I'm going to have him dynamax and punch the planet in half.

Quote:
Old 06-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #70
Crys

i'm just hoping that feebas isn't tile squares this gen
Old 06-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #71
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

I can't believe Pokemon Sword and Shield went so far as to implement Brexit for foreign Pokemon. They're really staying true to the UK basis of the region
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #72
Emi

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2019/6/11...edex-home-bank
Old 06-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #73
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Scum. But at least this gives a new lease on life for Bank.

It's not like Masuda would lock all your Pokemon in the bank, swallow the key and set fire to the building....riiiight?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #74
deoxys
Fog Badge

Electric Corgi confirms the Fireden leaks from a few weeks ago are accurate. What a cutie.

I'm so FUCKING pumped for a Farfetch'd evolution (please don't be shit)

This news about SwSh locking out Pokemon that don't appear in the game is alarming. Joe had a good suggestion, which was to at least do monthly patches of 20-30 new Pokemon for raid battles, until the Pokedex is complete. Otherwise, I'm going to be pissed if some 'mon are locked out.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #75
Emi

Masuda says that time was an issue, so I'm expecting patches to come in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News