UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 09-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Articuno The Winter Is Coming

The novel series A Song of Ice and Fire that was recently made into the hit HBO series Game of Thrones titled after the first book, the series combines medieval and fantasy setting with the drama of shifting political power.

All the books have either won or were nominated for awards and the TV series has been recently won awards as well.

So far I've only seen the HBO series, but I ordered the first four books and plan to read through them. Anyone else hooked on the series?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
I've read the first three books. They're pretty darn good. Martin is really good as a character developer. He's also great at throwing you off the scent of what's really going on, as well as making you question your loyalties.

Haven't seen the series yet, sadly. I'm waiting for it to be released over here in the UK. I've heard good things of it, though.
Handymankg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I've seen the series (in one day in a beer and pizza-fulled session at my friend's house), and it was bloody awesome. Really good in terms of character development as well as plot twists.

Then I saw the book at the store I work at. I was tempted to buy it, but then I picked it up and realised the sheer size of the bloody thing. And that was just A Game of Thrones. Nearby were a few others such as Storm of Swords and they were comparable. It brought to mind the old phrase: 'The covers of this book are too far apart.'

Don't get me wrong, I like a good read, but I feel like these may be a tad beyond my limit. Looking forward to the second season of the show, though!
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Loki

The actor that played Tyrion Lannister (The Imp) just won an Emmy last night.

He is the best actor of the series thus far though. What with his prince slapping, whoring, and pissing off The Wall business.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Excellent. I was wondering if the show picked up any awards. Tyrion is a great character, just through sheer comic value. That and being fairly genre savvy, which you don't much see in settings like this.

Much of said session watching it was spent musing whether Martin knew much of British internal views (I think he's American, but I'm not sure), given that Westeros is set out pretty much exactly like Britain and
Spoiler: show
has the North leading a revolt against the capital, which I think almost every Yorkshireman has dreamt of at some point
. Having Sean Bean in it just helps this case.

I particularly loved the whole 'Wall is there to stop unspeakable monsters from the North'. Great when you think of most Scottish cities on a saturday night. The Eyrie/Vale was a bit of a shout-out to Wales (mountain men, the Queen who still breastfeeds her 8-year-old son) and King's Landing is clearly London.

I also loved the Dothraki. Jason Momoa seems to be getting a lot of work as GENERIC BARBARIAN now that Stargate Atlantis is over.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Yeah, the whole of Westeros is pretty equatable to Western Europe, with Dorne being Moorish Spain and Highgarden France.

The books and the series are both excellent, just about to start the most recent book. It also boasts one of the best TV Tropes pages, which I'm not linking to as you'll never free free yourselves,
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Loki

Haha, I hadn't actually thought of it that way. You know, not being British and all. Suddenly a lot more makes some sense.

And yeah, that Vale family business creeped me out.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Just spent my entire weekend watching this show.

Curse you Loki! Why do you keep introducing me to new drugs?

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Anyone else pumped?
Old 03-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

oshi-
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
Loki

Last two episode of this season are gonna be big.

Stannis' navy is almost at King's Landing. Tyrion has built up a stock of wildfire. This is gonna be epic.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #12
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I've just about finished A Dance With Dragons, so soon my wait for The Winds of Winter will begin in earnest. Is anyone else reading the books, or are you all just following along with the show?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

I'm just following the show. I'm sure the books are fantastic to read but since the series is actually brilliant I don't want to spoil myself as to what happens.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

In that case, what do you think of the show so far? I assume that Season 3 episode 9 was suitably surprising?
Old 10-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Will you at least read the books after you finish the series? =O
Old 10-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

I'm watching the show but have only seen S1 so far because I was going to watch S2 with my gf but she decided to watch it and S3 at her parent's house because they have Sky.

So I'm getting my dad into it and re-watching S1 with him and then S2 and S3 when it comes out on DVD sometime next spring.

Bear in mind that I know most of what happens because I don't give a fuck about spoilers. I want to read the book but given that I struggle with the fucking Hobbit I don't think I'll get through them.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Bear in mind that I know most of what happens because I don't give a fuck about spoilers. I want to read the book but given that I struggle with the fucking Hobbit I don't think I'll get through them.
I've found Martin much easier to read than Tolkien, but you may want to consider listening to the audiobooks, Dave-ster. Roy Dotrice does a fantastic job on the first three (though he does struggle a bit in A Dance With Dragons and Feast for Crows on because of an illness)
Old 10-19-2013, 03:37 AM   #18
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Finished A Dance With Dragons today. I consider it a step up from A Feast for Crows (even though I'm one of the few who seemed to really enjoy AFFC) because even though I enjoyed seeing some parts of the seven kingdoms that were lacking in the previous books there were other parts that I really didn't care about-(AFFC spoilers)
Like whether or not a Godless man may sit the seastone chair, killing my Onion Knight sight unseen.

ADWD has some of my favorite moments in the series though, and will keep me on edge as the wait for Winds of Winter drags on. Quick thoughts!
Davos isn't dead! Hooray! And the good news keeps on coming, as Davos' last chapter has some of the greatest lines and shows that the North has not forgotten Robb Stark. In fact, the North remembers.
It also introduced me to my new favorite Northman, as Wyman Manderly takes up the place of the Great Jon Umber. Manderly's intelligence and honor is tempered by patience that would make Doran Martell proud- it's one thing to know that the man who killed your kin and lord is out there (like Gregor Clegane) and another to have to suffer the plotters under your roof, feed them and promise your granddaughter to one of them. Of course he's not able to fully restrain himself from unleashing a great line on the Freys at Winterfell "It's probably for the best. If he'd lived, he would have become a Frey."
Ser Barristan is awesome.
Damn, I'm bummed about Quentyn. Not necessarily because I liked him all that much, but I like prince Doran so much and I know losing his son is going to hurt. Hopefully Aegon will give him some solace, as I think in TWOW the Dornish are finally going to war.
Cersei's idiocy in AFFC in spurning the Iron Bank appears to be bearing fruit for Stannis, if he can survive long enough to harvest it. Given that Ramsay is Ramsay I'm not much inclined to believe his letter to Jon. Also holy fuck the last Jon chapter. After all of his work with the wildlings I have to wonder what will happen there. Will Jon survive? Will Melisandre give him the kiss of life like Thoros of Myr? If Jon dies will the Nights Watch try and fight the free folk that Tormund has south of the Wall? They may have done it "For the Watch" but it could end up spelling the end of the Night's Watch if they try and take on a few thousand free folk south of the wall.
Tyrion is good value as always, but I was disappointed in a lot of the Danaerys stuff. She makes frustrating decisions, as you'd expect of a young girl. Perhaps a certain Iron Captain can make her change her opinions- Victarion chapters were a good read, so I'm hopeful that he'll play a big part in TWOW as well.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #19
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I'm probably the only person in the fandom who preferred AFFC to ADWD!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #20
Vye
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
I'm probably the only person in the fandom who preferred AFFC to ADWD!

I'm probably with you.
I'm not a Daeny fan when it comes to the books
(though in the adaption she's much much much better, thank you Emilia Clarke)

ADWD focused too much on her story, to which I say boo!
Vye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #21
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Daeny isn't one of my favorites either, but with the goings on up North I find it makes up for the fairly stangnant Mereen plot, while the Sansa and Brienne chapters dragged quite a bit in my opinion.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #22
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Dany isn't on my favourites list, but she is well portrayed on the HBO Show. Personally, I think we need Dorne/Martell. The Sand Snakes have been notably lacking in the Show, but with Season 4, hopefully that problem will be rectified. <3
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #23
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Season 4 is going to be a big one for introducing Dorne, as we have one of the series biggest badassess (and best characters) coming to Kings Landing.

ASOS/S4 Spoiler
When the two men were ten yards apart, the Red Viper stopped and called out, "Have they told you who I am?"
Old 11-11-2013, 03:56 AM   #24
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
Season 4 is going to be a big one for introducing Dorne, as we have one of the series biggest badassess (and best characters) coming to Kings Landing.

ASOS/S4 Spoiler
When the two men were ten yards apart, the Red Viper stopped and called out, "Have they told you who I am?"
Oh, he and Ellaria are certainly welcome additions to KL. The Lannisters have something awful coming. ;)

Regarding Oberyn, I so hope that they make his character too outwardly flamboyant and "heyez, everybody, I'm bisexual!1!1!". When I talked to my LGBTQ friends who are fans of the ASOIAF, they mentioned that bisexual/queer characters are rarely portrayed authentically in television, whereby their sexuality is not the main thing that defines them. That makes bisexuality tokenistic, if that makes sense.

Of course, by the same token, an acknowledgement of the fact that he's not heteronormative would also help. Portray him as he is in the books: an absolute, mofo badass who is lecherous and doesn't limit himself to only one type of bed warmer.

Tyene and Nymeria are also going to be awesome. And of course, Arianne Martell, that conniving girl. <3
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #25
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post
Regarding Oberyn, I so hope that they make his character too outwardly flamboyant and "heyez, everybody, I'm bisexual!1!1!". When I talked to my LGBTQ friends who are fans of the ASOIAF, they mentioned that bisexual/queer characters are rarely portrayed authentically in television, whereby their sexuality is not the main thing that defines them. That makes bisexuality tokenistic, if that makes sense.

Of course, by the same token, an acknowledgement of the fact that he's not heteronormative would also help. Portray him as he is in the books: an absolute, mofo badass who is lecherous and doesn't limit himself to only one type of bed warmer.
I don't have high hopes for them doing a good job on Oberyn's bisexual interests, given the extremely stereotypical portrayal of homosexuality in the show. Loras Tyrell went from utterly badass best knight in the kingdom who happened to love Renly Baratheon to the stereotypical gay guy who'd jump into bed with any man and happens to be a very good jouster. If it comes out I hope it's just mentioned in passing, as for all the excellence in the show their treatment of sexuality hasn't been great so far.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment