UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out

Old 07-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #26
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Spark View Post
EBE/BTM just caught a Male Solosis! And I think he's the first one in Fizzy Bubbles! So now we should all stare at him jealously on the count of three. One, two, three! *jealous stare* ;)
Yup, I belive it's the first one, too! *joins in the jealous stares* Congrats! ^^

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #27
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
Quote:
EBE/BTM just caught a Male Solosis! And I think he's the first one in Fizzy Bubbles! So now we should all stare at him jealously on the count of three. One, two, three! *jealous stare* ;)
Oh man...

Oh yeah, this also means he gets access now to the Egg House so congrats dude!

Now if you excuse me, I'll go punch a nearby wall not geting the first Solosis. T_T
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #28
Emp
Volcano Badge

As an updater it does irk me sometimes the way some people RP Poké-speech. I much prefer the sentence:
“Are you ready for adventure?” Alice teased, pulling at the Ponyta’s reigns - the mare giving a whinny and suddenly breaking into a gallop.

to this sentence:

“Are you ready for adventure?”
“Po-Ponyta, Ponyta!” (You bet I am, hold on tight!)

It’s just a bit weird to read, like there’s some mental block on the Pokémon so it can only say variations of its own name. As far as I’m aware only the anime has Pokémon behave like this (probably so kids can remember the names better?) and let’s face it, the anime is probably the most illogical, lowest quality and least mature piece of Pokémon source material out there. In my mind’s eye when I’m updating I don’t picture Pokémon in a real life setting either, but more of a mature anime with quality on par to something like a studio ghibli film.

In terms of intelligence, I usually put them on-par with their real-life counterparts to an extent. A Ponyta would have a horse mentality, a Granbull would have a hound mentality. Psychic types generally behave more intelligently, with a few exceptions (Grumpig, Slowbro etc). I guess I do RP Pokémon as being more intelligent when they need to be, such as following orders. I guess that is a flaw, but it’s better in my opinion than RPing every Pokémon in exactly the same way which I’ve seen some people do.

There’s also the plothole of newborn Pokémon. I remember MM hatched a Pawniard and had it capable of speaking to other Pokémon within a day of its birth (threatening to assassinate anyone who hurt Keith). It just doesn’t really make sense to me.

That's just my opinion explained though. I've said people are free to do it however they want and I’m not criticising people who RP this way. Some of the best roleplayers here do it differently, so I’m not going to really judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhhhhh View Post
Now if you excuse me, I'll go punch a nearby wall not geting the first Solosis. T_T

Although I think this topic belongs in the TO?

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Last edited by Emp; 07-11-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #29
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
My opinion on Pokespeech is that it works based on the species. To use Emp's example, I wouldn't have Ponyta use Pokespeech either, it doesn't make sense to me (not even the anime has Ponyta or Rapidash use Pokespeech). Same with Mightyena, for the most part, I can't see Mightyena making any sound other than barking. Lanturn shouldn't be limited to just a rough form of Pokespeech; since they're similar to dolphins I RP Delilah as having a complex series of calls and whistles that humans simply don't understand without enough experience working with her.

Other than that, I haven't really seen a problem with using Pokespeech for the rest of my team, though I'm admittedly not too consistent with it. Another thing is that haven't RP'd with Ezreal (Trapinch) yet, so I might do something different with him until he fully evolves. Also, if I get an Onix in FB, I'll probably have him/her just talk by roaring since that's just what makes me more comfortable. So I'm not going to use Pokespeech for everyone, just when it seems appropriate.

As far as intelligence purposes, I think of some Pokemon as magical beasts, to use the DnD term, and others as animals, and still others by other classifications, like fae and spirits. That is, some Pokemon only have the instincts they were born with, while others have more intelligence, just not enough to be able to converse with humans. Then we have certain Psychic-types who are capable of telepathy with humans, and some Ghost-types who used to be humans and can therefore use human speech. Again, it depends on the Pokemon.

Also, I think zone captures can and should be discussed here because it is, in a way, a discussion about that person's adventure. Maybe somebody sees that a capture was made and wants to look at the adventure that lead the person to catch it. Then they realize that it was a pretty cool adventure they had and talk about it further here. That's one of the purposes of this thread, it's to talk about what other people are going through in their adventures, right?

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future

Last edited by Gemini Spark; 07-11-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #30
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
But Emp, you could also easily write-

“Are you ready for adventure?” Alice teased, pulling at the Ponyta’s reigns- the Ponyta gave an excited "Po-Ponyta!" and suddenly broke into a gallop, riding off into the sunset.

EDIT: As for pokespeach, I agree with GS. I'm not entirely sure about Alice and Cosette, but Seth's "gligar'ing" seems better then using the non-verbal communication of scorpions. :p I wouldn't have an Stoutland saying "stoutland" instead of barking.

As for intelligence, I roleplay as them having near-human intellect; they can feel, think abstractly, etc.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #31
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I like to RP most Pokémon as being more intelligent than the average real-world animal, though I'm not above RPing certain Pokémon as acting like their real-world counterpart. Ruby, my Houndour, for example, will jump up and lick the face of nearly anyone she comes across, thus acting like a dog.

As for Pokéspeak, I rarely give the untranslated version of it in any case, unless it's being spoken to Keith, and is not in Shuppet, Banette, Gastly, Haunter, or Gengar language (he can understand those languages, though can only actually speak the first two himself). I take from the anime here, because after having watched it so much, that's just how I find it easiest to imagine the Pokémon world.

As far as Pokémon speaking human language, I only do that where it would be possible for there to be an in-universe explanation that is at least somewhat plausible for the Pokémon world. For instance, my Dusclops, Banette, Shuppet, and Gastly can all speak the human language. I've always thought of Ghost-types as having at least somewhat above-average intelligence, plus there's those mysterious powers they possess. Not to mention, my Shuppet actually used to be human, so yeah. I don't find it much of a stretch. My Meowth gained the ability due to a trade machine malfunction when he was being traded to me, due to human DNA in the trade machine. I consider most Psychic-types to be capable of telepathy with at least a little bit of ease, and non-Psychic-types that learn Psychic moves to be able to learn to use telepathy through hard work- this is evident in my Swoobat and my Weezing, respectively.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Although I think this topic belongs in the TO?
Quote:
Also, I think zone captures can and should be discussed here because it is, in a way, a discussion about that person's adventure. Maybe somebody sees that a capture was made and wants to look at the adventure that lead the person to catch it. Then they realize that it was a pretty cool adventure they had and talk about it further here. That's one of the purposes of this thread, it's to talk about what other people are going through in their adventures, right?
The reason I specifically said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
3. All Fizzy Bubbles RP posts are fair game for discussion here. This includes (and is not limited to) any RP posts made in:
* zones
* campaigns
* special events
* free RP areas
* trainer battles
* shops
The flipside of this rule is that only Fizzy Bubbles RP posts (or ideas and concepts relevant to them) should be being discussed here. For example, if someone's adventure in Cortoza reminds you of a movie and you wish to say so (and that's all you really wish to say), then this thread is totally a fine place for that, no worries. But for another example, if somebody hatches a Zorua, doesn't RP picking it up, and all you want to do is congratulate them on their good fortune, then this isn't the best thread for that. We have threads like the Time Out, Hatchers' Anonymous, and the White Market for things like that.
was because of the difference between shallow congratulation posts that do nothing to contribute towards actual discussion of role playing and deeper congratulation posts which do. There's a world of difference between this:
Quote:
Congrats on the Skorupi, Emp!
and this:
Quote:
Have you guys seen the latest development in Emp's adventure in M'jumba? I think you should all check it out before reading on. ;o

{spoiler}Congratulations on the Skorupi, Emp!

I was really impressed with how you managed to catch it. Setting fire to the {plot device} was pure genius, and I'm glad that GS agreed.

Major kudos to GS for writing such an interesting capture-post for us all to read and for Emp to always remember his capture by. I especially liked the bit where {quotation}. That was some really well-written stuff.

Has anyone ever tried what Emp's done before? I wonder if Yuki would let me try it ... {/spoiler}
The one actually fosters discussion of the RP elements with other users. The other ... does not.

When MarbleZone said he implemented my rules, you might have noticed that he didn't copy them 100%. He snipped out the bits that he either disagreed with or else thought were extraneous. Maybe now it's a bit more clear why they weren't extraneous ... and why they might not have been wrong either. Because while there's absolutely nothing wrong with congratulating anyone on getting a new team mate, period, I don't see what that has anything to do with RP discussion -- what significance there is that he caught it vs. hatched it vs. got it in a trade -- if all you're saying is "GRATS! " to him and then moving on. Do you really have nothing at all to say about how deserved his capture was? About how fun his adventure was to read? About how excellent a particular sentence or group of sentences were in his updator's post?

Regardless, MarbleZone did strip my clause out of his version of the rules, so to answer Emp's question, no, no one's broken any rules and if people want to offer two-sentence or one-sentence congratulations here then they can.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #33
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
>Escalion: Am I Pokéspeaking correctly? (paraphrasing)
The way I see it is that everyone has their own choice on how they want their Pokémon to speak and if anyone were to say it was wrong and you had to do it differently it would mean that there was a right way of doing it and that way must be enforced which would actually cut into the free-RP'ing decisions you get to make and that's one of the few things you wouldn't want to do in a RP-thread. Honestly, I find your take on it a bit interesting; having some speak their names while others merely roar or growl. Your idea of Pokéspeach isn't rigid or static then, there's some sort of flexibility and thought behind it. Same goes for nearly everyone else here btw; definitely not saying Escalion's the only one who I find is doing it right

I'm actually largely unsure of how much I want my Pokémon to be able to talk. So thank you everyone for discussing this. This discussion has actually largely made me rethink how I'd want to RP.
I personally think it's best to sometimes just keep it to a simple 'pika-pi' where what it's trying to say is (usually) clear but it's exact use of words can be left to the imagination. Though I've been in the fault on this matter on more than 1 occasion by having my Pokémon's words translated such as in the FB Bar and Visionary Glade. That being said, I think it's okay to once in a while have a 'special episode' in which Pokémon talk to each other.

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Spoiler: show
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #34
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
>Pokespeak

I personally do this unlike anyone else. Well, at least as far as I have seen. To my knowledge, I am the only person who uses a translator device to translate the language of Pokemon into English. I probably should have been more consistent with this at first, but now that I have a Rotom, the pace has picked up considerably. I believe that Pokemon can understand other Pokemon pretty easily, and my Rotom is constantly working on the translator. There are plenty of Pokemon Blaze doesn't have translated, and some he doesn't have too.

Most Ghosts can also speak human language, and my Yanmega can speak Russian. Spiritomb can speak any number of languages depending on its spirits. I also believe that some Pokemon can be taught to speak human language.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #35
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
Oh, yeah, and Coselle x Keith was probably one of the best RP things I've ever seen. It was so fantastic to read. Coselle was a really well-though out character, and it was great to sit and read the latest happening between them. So much excellent characterization between the two of them, it really makes me jealous. :P I do wonder why it ended however? That I want to know. Why did Coselle have her memories erased to become a Banette again? It was a pretty interesting decision, but one that would definitely be wrong in my character's eyes. I feel like my character would never be able to understand that. And probably quite a few of my teammates as well. Well, maybe just Farseer and Remilia.
You're too kind, Blaze! I didn't realize that others were reading that storyline, but I'm really happy to hear that people have been reading along and enjoying what MM and I have been writing. Actually, to clarify, Minerva did not choose to get her mind erased. The Visionary Glade Post that follows from the Bar Storyline shows that the memory erasure was court mandated after Minerva was sentenced for her crimes against humanity, on the basis that it was her "unhealthy relationship" with Keith that inspired her to do what she did (even though that's completely ludicrous).

That said, when I finally have the time/motivation to return to free RP, Minerva will likely run into Keith again... and it will be interesting to see if the erasure actually endures, and how she will react to the past that she no longer remembers. I am still not 100% willing to commit to Minerva being human, but time will tell. It'll depend on how that storyline develops.

In the meantime, I need to respond to my adventures... Particularly CG. There's going to be some interesting development there with Minerva, for sure.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #36
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
You're too kind, Blaze! I didn't realize that others were reading that storyline, but I'm really happy to hear that people have been reading along and enjoying what MM and I have been writing. Actually, to clarify, Minerva did not choose to get her mind erased. The Visionary Glade Post that follows from the Bar Storyline shows that the memory erasure was court mandated after Minerva was sentenced for her crimes against humanity, on the basis that it was her "unhealthy relationship" with Keith that inspired her to do what she did (even though that's completely ludicrous).

That said, when I finally have the time/motivation to return to free RP, Minerva will likely run into Keith again... and it will be interesting to see if the erasure actually endures, and how she will react to the past that she no longer remembers. I am still not 100% willing to commit to Minerva being human, but time will tell. It'll depend on how that storyline develops.

In the meantime, I need to respond to my adventures... Particularly CG. There's going to be some interesting development there with Minerva, for sure.
I have tears in my eyes from reading that. I don't know why either, but it is really touching. I can only imagine if one of my own Pokemon *coughRemiliacough* would have to do that how Blaze would feel. He would probably go insane. And that letter was really well done. It did feel terribly detached and from reading Keith x Coselle I was immediately telling myself, 'Wow, what bulllshit that was. How can they even get away with that?'

More of a reason to RP in my base now, but I'm not going to act like I have some divine knowledge of this. I'm not even sure if my character knows that Coselle was Minerva(Hades knew almost immediately, but he wouldn't share it with Blaze).

I'm also looking for feedback if people want to provide some. I only want to get better so don't feel odd telling me what you think.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #37
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
When MarbleZone said he implemented my rules, you might have noticed that he didn't copy them 100%. He snipped out the bits that he either disagreed with or else thought were extraneous.
Not at all, it was a complete oversight on my part that Rule 3 continued after the list. I'll fix it in a minute, sorry.

Still, regardless of hard rules, I'll believe in people's better judgment on this; if you have nothing to say other than "congrats", don't post here. This is a place to discuss RPs, not to post one-liners about some random shop evolution or Egg House unlocking. Troublesome as it might be for some people, I'd like everyone to at least post something a little more constructive than "congrats on the Skorupi".
Old 07-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #38
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

>Timeline

I feel obligated to respond to this even though the topic was put to rest and I don't have much to contribute. I don't really have a set timeline, and considering the number of Adventures I've been on it's even harder to list and put them in order. Often I tend to mix real time and RP time. For example in my latest CC post I lined the end of the Raikou Race up with the Fourth of July, even though it started in spring.

>Pokéspeak

I tend not to write out my Pokémon saying their names unless it's for TO chat. Actually, lately I find myself avoiding explicit dialogue altogether. I'm not very good at expressing myself verbally period, so I just skip over conversations to make things easiier. ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
Huzzah! I'm quite looking forward to it. X3
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #39
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
So I finally replied to my AR adventure. Seriously need to get myself more motivated more often.

I get the feeling that uhhhhh's going to approve of how I'm battling.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #40
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
So I finally replied to my AR adventure. Seriously need to get myself more motivated more often.

I get the feeling that uhhhhh's going to approve of how I'm battling.
Wow for some reason while checking your AR post it made me curious to reread my last AR post... only to discover I completely forgot to write a word within a sentence. Dammit, I know my English, especially grammar-wise, ain't perfect because of my "second languageness", but that was a ridiculous mistake ^^; Why does my brain skips full words while I'm typing, then don't even notice said missing word after rereading it before posting and rereading it later 'till after more than a month? >.< At least I didn't mistake between your/you're.

May sound like nothing or silly, but it would be nice if here we just don't talk about the quality story/creativity-wise, but general writing-wise. It would give a good confidence boost in people's writing skills (however basic it is) and get some feedback if we write things correctly. I always get the impression of writing things badly... even if so far Tess haven't wrote a single "bad" comment about my posts in the AR ^^;

Last edited by OkikuMew; 07-12-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #41
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If it's questions and answers about RP writing, great. If it's about grammar and vocabulary and spelling help, I think I'd prefer a separate Writer's Workshop. No "you're/your", "their/they're" "shouldn't 've misspelled as shouldn't of", etc, discussion here, please. [/my 2˘, short version] To read on ...

It seems some people are really fidgety about trying to respond to this thread even if they don't have anything much to say at the moment. Don't be. If you haven't had the time to read someone else's adventures yet or if you have nothing new to say about them, then there probably isn't much for you to discuss here yet. That's fine. Just please don't force replies. The whole idea behind this thread was, and I quote:
Quote:
I mentioned how we don't really have a thread for discussing the zone adventures and misadventures of others. Maybe that needs to change. In a post he made the other day, blazeVA mentioned my name in a post about inspiring RP. He was referring to the RPed battle that Yuki and I did with Stacey's help in the Trainer Battle forum. This was the first I had heard of any other member besides the three of us having given two hoots about my battle with Yuki. If I had known others were reading, I can assure you that it would have inspired me to finish the final stretch of RP I had planned (which to this day is 90% done in a Notepad file somewhere on my hard drive but still hasn't been posted ). Had we had a thread for members like Blaze to post in and to comment on others' adventures, maybe things would have been different. So ... I dunno, if someone else wants to beat me to it, then by all means please do, but if no one does it by the end of the week, I might consider making a thread for us to discuss each others' zone and Trainer Battle adventures in.
Feedback, commentary, discussion about people's RP posts is what I wanted to make a thread for. Not a general writer's workshop, though discussions about the quality of the writing are totally fine. Things like "Wow, that read like a professional novel, Jerry!" or "Macy, your story was so well-written I couldn't believe it," yes. Things like "Can somebody teach me about when to use commas?" or "Can someone explain the American English rules for using 'they/them/their/theirs'?", not so much. By all means, make that writing workshop thread if you like! I'd definitely post there. (I do kind of worry though about too many chefs in the kitchen ... ^^; ) But I don't want to see this thread mutating into a two-headed dragon that handles RP discussion half the time and English writing help the other half. That wasn't my vision for the thread at all. I don't want the English workshop discussion to drown out the RP discussion. In fact, that's why I wanted a separate thread to begin with. If I hadn't worried about competing voices drowning out RP discussion, I'd have just merrily posted in the Time Out. Right? The whole idea in making a separate thread was to lend our very weak (and practically non-existent) state of discussing others' RP posts in meaningful ways a much needed helping hand.

Part of the reason I hadn't posted the thread myself before MZ beat me to it was because I hadn't yet made time to properly read some of your guys' adventures. That's why you haven't seen me posting yet as I'm saying we all should. But all of these constant derailings are making me rethink delaying this. I think I'll need to offer some sample posts soon of the sort of stuff I'd love to see us all doing more of.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #42
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Hmm, I get your point. I simply thought that, before mentioning your side of things, since this was a thread about discussing/commenting about our RPing and writing skills, vocabulary/grammar would fit in (after all, it is part of writing) but now I understand that it's more for the creative side of things, not the "technique" part.

Why I haven't posted much in that subject is I'm basically in generic artistic slump right now. I dunno, it's like my creativity switch in my brain is set to off or disabled, so looking into and working on creative stuff feels straining, while my more logical side is more active. Probably why these days I've been very lacking into posting in the free RP zones (namely the bar and the nightclub, so sorry guys ;-;) and instead I'm getting back into programming after years of not writing a line of code (if you don't count the small amount of Excel programming for work).

That been said... *le attempt* Back when I was posting into the RP zones more frequently and wasn't much into that "artistic burn-out", I gotta say I liked how MM pulled off RPing Chance's (his Wartortle) state of confusion within our sort-of trainer battle. Typically (I think) we tend only to RP only the outer state of the battling Pokemon, as most of our RPing is related to the trainer (not to mention it is, after all, trainers who calls in the attacks and whom we relate to the most). But in this case of the battle, since the trainers are not involved in the battle (not calling the attacks anyway), it pushed both of us to get into the state of mind of the battling Pokemon... which makes it interesting. And in that point, more so as the Pokemon is confused, and that is something you don't RP everyday And I find MM wrote Chance's state of mind well, despite not knowing perfectly how a Pokemon's confusion state feels ^^

Old 07-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #43
Charminions
Your reality is mine

While reading other adventures, I've gotten the urge to RP and so I've posted in the Fizzytopian Parks and Gardens for the first time. Here goes nothing. :3
Old 07-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #44
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I solved a Shadowshocker riddle yesterday! (I think!) I'm proud.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #45
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
And this has to do with RPing ... how? ^^;; (Wrong thread?)
Old 07-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #46
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I'm assuming its a riddle for the Arcane Realm.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #47
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Ohhhhhhhh ... I thought he meant a Serebii Shop-of-all-Trades shard quest riddle, since Shadowshocker's the Serebii SoaT shopkeeper and I mistakenly though that jj was a Serebii homeboarder as well. (Dunno why. ^^; I've seen him do plenty of shop stuff here on UPN ... Whoops!)

Apologies, jj. ^^; Handy link for everyone else.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #48
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleZone View Post
Having talked it over with gmoyes, I'd like to ask you guys not to post polls in this thread. This is meant for meaningful discussion of adventures and other roleplays, not to list things off and walk away like in the TO. I'm adding a "no polls" rule to the first thread as suggested by Talon, if only to keep this thread from straying from its original purpose.

I'll get to my own comments when I have a little extra time on my hands, but in the meantime I'll advise you all to read Arc's Astoria adventure, being written by Emp. That's some quality work.
I don't think a blanket ban on polls is exactly the right thing for the situation. People just need to work their questions. For example, gmoyes poll you can't really say isn't about RP, as a person's timeline is a significant RP subject, maybe from some people more than other. Now, I do agree that the question as it is now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoyes View Post
Do you have a defined timeline for your adventures?

Is there anything in your adventures that conflicts with this timeline?
Isn't exactly brain stimulating. I can answer it with a list and move on. However, what if this question was modified? Come on now. What if it was like this:

Quote:
Do you have a defined timeline for your adventures? If you do, explain the reasons why your timeline is structured the way, and how you make different RP situations work in that timeline. Provide examples. If you do not have a defined timeline, explain why you do not have a defined timeline and how that affects your RPing.
Well, now this question requires more effort to fully answer. And that's the point. Polls aren't necessarily bad, but people have to realize that you can't just have one-liners or lists as answers. Poll questions should probably be approved by someone(yes, this will require time and effort but it will make sure that the quality of the answers remain up to snuff). For a poll to be approved, it would have to "pass" these two points:

1. It would have to be RP-worthy. No questions like, "What are you hoping is your next Pokemon...and how will you RP with them? :P" That really doesn't foster much discussion and is a blatant dressing of a different question. A more suitable one might be:

"Just recently in the Visionary Glade, Marion's character Coselle who was actually a Banette had her memories erased based on a court order/etc. If one of your Pokemon were to have its memories erased, which one would it be, and how would your trainer and the rest of the team react? Explain as detailed as possible."

One can see why this is a better question. It's talking about a specific RP situation, and how your RP would be affected if said situation happened to you.

2. The question must not be able to be answered in "one sentence." In other words, it must be a though-provoking question, one that would generate good responses more than bad ones. This is rather subjective, and of course there might be some who don't put much effort into it, but then again what's to say they will put a lot of effort into other topics as well they might discuss?

Not trying to start an argument, but rather trying to show a, in my opinion, better way to deal with the polls than just a blanket ban.

Oh, and also, to keep with the spirit of this thread, I should probably do a little RP talk along with this.

If I had to list one of my favorite adventures at the moment, it would definitely be my AR adventure. No, its not because it is the only one going at the moment, but because it is raising a lot of moral questions as well. What is my character going to do in a situation like this? When my character first met the little snot nosed brat kid, there were at least three different scenarios in my head on what my character could do: the first one was to do as I am doing now, protecting the baby Tailow and the mother Swellow from the kid's assualt. The second one was to walk away from it, not wanting to get involved in a situation like that. The third one was to be even shadier than the kid; promise to keep quiet about it and move on, but by requesting one of the Tailows as a sort of payment. Now, I immediately picked the first one. Why? Not because it was the right thing to do, but because I felt it was more true to my character. Yeah sure it is probably the "good boy" routine, but it works considering Blaze has been around Marche for who knows how long. Doing anything shady or not helping in something like this would be completely against my character's nature(and besides, we haven't really seen Dark!Blaze yet but I digress). Then further along the line I was presented with another choice: Do I continue my attack on the kid, or do I try to settle things peacefully? Now, I guess in alignment terms, this would be the setting terms for whether my character was Chaotic Good or Lawful Good. Both outcomes are for the right reasons, but how far is Blaze willing to go in order to protect the baby Tailow? In the end Blaze tried to find a more peaceful way out of it, scaring the kid off instead of having to fight more, hoping that the crispy crayfish was more than enough of a message of how things would go if the fight continued. It was really nice character development for both me and my Lopunny too, and was a good place to show her "push" into maturity, or at least something like it. The previous Lemon Drop was a Buneary would never had gotten angry like that, but from evolving and having a more adult frame of mind, her anger and her pride developed and ended up creating a rather explosive combination. This adventure really helped cement the two characters and how they are.

And now I'm having whims of giving alignments to my entire squad and putting that in my base. Help me. :P
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #49
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
I just read it. Clever Shadowshocker, pretty neat that you mainly used two-word attacks and split them but still got them to rhyme together. And kudo's to you JJ if you solved it.
(Now a question since this might come up anyway: Isn't line 3 faulty?)
Still brilliant though. I'm guessing practice in the Shop-of-All-Trades has paid of?

The rhyme also reminds me of the one I got in the AR. It wasn't as much a puzzle as it was a brief explanation of what was going to happen and at least it gave me a clue as to how the labyrinth was built.

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:

Last edited by Ex-Admiral Insane; 07-13-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #50
Emp
Volcano Badge

I wont be answering any question that ends in "Explain as detailed as possible" because my answer will be as long or as short as it is needed to be. There's no point in fluffing up an answer just so it can be seen as more detailed than a standard poll answer. I think the point of banning polls wasn't to do with one word answers either, I just don't think the makers of this thread wanted it to turn into the TO where people are taking turns to answer a question without actually forming a discussion.

That being said, half of the discussions that have passed in this thread could have just as easily been brought up in the TO and I'm starting to wonder if there's any point to this thread at all.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out