UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork

Old 04-26-2017, 03:18 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Bots & Independent Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
Bots cant go to the independent forums. You need to be logged in for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaze View Post
The army of Google bots swarming over Fizzy Bubbles.
Right now we have 88 "guests" swarming Fizzy Bubbles. We only have 10 registered users online. Doubtless, the 88 guests are Google bots or other web crawlers.

But I thought that the Independent Forums couldn't be seen unless you were signed in to your account? I know that when I sign out, historically I can't see the Independent Forums.

Yet when I tested it out just now, lo and behold -- the Independent Forums are quite visible despite being logged out.

Was this change deliberate? And if so, what motivated the change?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:22 AM   #2
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
afaik Jeri made ASB, WF and FB visible to guests in hopes of attracting more people to them.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:30 AM   #3
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Yes it got changed and for that reason. Clubs and RP are still hidden.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Are you really that starved for membership that opening UPN up to Big Brother Google is the only option?

We can go head-hunting. Well, I have a lot of experience in this department, so I could go head-hunting. It just depends on the numbers you're looking for.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Are you really that starved for membership that opening UPN up to Big Brother Google is the only option?

We can go head-hunting. Well, I have a lot of experience in this department, so I could go head-hunting. It just depends on the numbers you're looking for.
You realize UPN has been opened up to Big Brother Google for quite a while, right? Everything we've ever posted can be googled with ease. In fact, IIRC, previously, googling "Meina's Owl" would return almost exclusively UPN results because of its obscurity, for a time.

All opening the Pokemon RPG forums does is reveal their existence to the world to be included in a process that has already been going on for years. I could see an argument if UPN had been private from the get-go, but it hasn't been.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
In fact, IIRC, previously, googling "Meina's Owl" would return almost exclusively UPN results because of its obscurity, for a time.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
You realize UPN has been opened up to Big Brother Google for quite a while, right? Everything we've ever posted can be googled with ease. In fact, IIRC, previously, googling "Meina's Owl" would return almost exclusively UPN results because of its obscurity, for a time.
This is why I have been editing old posts to obfuscate searchable terms, but I had assumed it was a technical improvement on Google's part that Kuno didn't have an answer for. Kuno's philosophy 10 years ago was to keep UPN away from surveillance, since search-ability was initially made us a target for the jihadis. I would be disappointed if that changed for a short-sighted (and clearly ineffective) desire for more membership.

Quote:
All opening the Pokemon RPG forums does is reveal their existence to the world to be included in a process that has already been going on for years. I could see an argument if UPN had been private from the get-go, but it hasn't been.
This is incorrect, I distinctly remember discussions with Morg and dami at least 7 years ago on how UPN forums were excluded from indexing. UPN had honey-traps for bots as recently as 2014, and the Independent Forums were clearly hidden originally to prevent spam.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
Heather
Naga's Voice

@Dopple: Due to recent events, it has become increasingly unclear if the RPGs (ASB/FB, most specifically) could reliably depend on their SPPf/BMG branches to bring membership to UPN. If people can't see our main draws outside of a context that is starting to no longer function, then yes, we are probably going to be desperately hurting for new membership (it's hard to advertise elsewhere if we can't even show a preview to people, as I'm sure you could see). I get that you're anti-Google, but please stop whining about a logical decision for the sole reason that shit can be Googled now. It's not like you even take part in those forums to have anything newly visible anyway: from what I see, all of your activity is in the general section, which has been observable since the get-go. In essence, literally nothing has changed for you, meaning your complaining is pointless and just plain irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:33 AM   #9
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Making it so that ASB, FB, and WF are able to be seen means that when we do have to advertise, we aren't associating a buy-in in having to make a new account for the forums (this does turn people away) (NOTE: This effects ASB a lot less than the other two, because it has a Serebii branch in which to pull in new members)(PS: Go be active on Serebii). People can see what we're doing without having to create an account. That's the gist of it. UPN isn't anywhere near visible enough normally that just turning off visibility alone will make it so new members come.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #10
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

So my potential rebuttals have already been outlined here, but I am curious what you mean by headhunting, Dopple.

We have attempted advertisement in the past with Reddit for WF in the past and had little success so I am curious what you would do to attract members.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:19 PM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
So my potential rebuttals have already been outlined here, but I am curious what you mean by headhunting, Dopple.

We have attempted advertisement in the past with Reddit for WF in the past and had little success so I am curious what you would do to attract members.
For a bit of background, I ran the Iga Village in the browser-based game Billy vs. SNAKEMAN for about 3 years. I was able to make it one of the top mid-tier villages, which is a high achievement considering:

-BVS was a Naruto-based game long after Naruto hit its prime
-Browser based games were facing increasing competition from mobile and/or flash (2010+)
-Iga was a normal village instead of an "Immortal Realm", the latter which had no downsides and many more benefits
-My character Heparin was low-level, only a Season 3. The max season is 111.

What I found in the past related to soliciting my BVS villagers here to UPN, and inviting friends from other forums like Arlong Park to UPN: no matter how much personality you have, if their main interests go against the forum's, they're not going to come here.

So your problem then becomes trying to find players who like RP (a rarity, considering text-based RP is a bit of a dinosaur) and like Pokemon. It's not a dissimilar challenge.

The easiest way is to integrate oneself into the RPs of other popular Pokemon forums and then individually try to persuaded befriended players to try UPN. In doing so, you also use your signature to set up Google Bombs for text like "Pokemon Go Battling". A bunch of posts linking the same thing over and over on a popular site will set off a bomb. Getting on to the first page of Google search is essential if randoms are your ultimate goal (though I dispute that this is a good idea, it goes along with integration recruiting).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork