UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork

Old 06-11-2015, 10:17 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

WebM file support

Is it possible for us to get a [webm] tag which would allow us to embed .webm files in our posts the same way we can use the [img] tag to embed .gif files in our posts? WebM files are much smaller than GIFs while maintaining same or superior visual quality and duration. For example, a 40-megabyte animated GIF can be represented in under 1 megabyte by the WebM format.

There is an official vBulletin thread for this topic. I am not sure if his code is the No.1 undisputed best or not, given the lack of replies to the thread and the lack of votes coupled with the same issues besetting the other threads on their forum plus the lack of any obvious competitor threads. (I did check out the HTML5 thread but that seemed to strictly deal with HTML5 video and audio and did not appear to touch on GIF format replacements like WebM.) However, if this guy's code looks good to you and if it does the job, then can we implement it? Or is it only compatible with v.4.0+ of vBulletin forum software?

Comparison: traditional GIF (6.90 MB), WebM file (1.19 MB), alternative host's conversion from GIF to WebM (535 KB)

As you can see from the comparison provided just now, file extensions would need to be taken into consideration. For example, ".gifv" appears to be Imgur's own in-house take on what movie-ified GIF files should be called, but when you save the file to your hard drive it still saves as a .webm file all the same, reflecting that .webm appears to be the consensus file extension name. If we do incorporate a [webm] tag, it'd be prudent to have it recognize file paths ending in .gifv (and other possible popular extension names) and not just .webm, the same way that [img] doesn't freak out when you put a .jpg at the end versus a .png versus a .gif, etc.

Note: in the comparison provided above, you will have to right click and save the video file in order to save the .webm to your computer and see the true file size. If you click on the "Download" link that Imgur has provided, it will download for you the file I originally uploaded -- which in this case is the 6.90-megabyte GIF.

Some of the most popular images on the net right now only exist in .webm format, as they would be far too large and/or would have to be rendered far too ugly if they were uploaded as GIFs. Our community is missing out on great opportunities to spice up our posts with these images, and I suspect we will only continue to miss out more heavily as the format gains wider-spread adoption.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:47 PM   #2
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

My browser doesn't seem to support these, so it would just be an annoyance. :V

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:58 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Morg View Post
My browser doesn't seem to support these, so it would just be an annoyance. :V
Q1. Does your browser not support HTML5? You're in for a world of hurt that goes far beyond "annoyance" if it doesn't.

Q2. How old is your browser? And why can't you get a newer one if age is the issue? My computer's eight years old now and even I have a browser that supports these file formats. (Good ol' Firefox.)
Old 06-11-2015, 11:22 PM   #4
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Just btw if you go to to the gfycat page rather than the direct image, like this one, it tells you there itself how much bandwidth was saved.

And yeah, webms, gfys, gifvs etc are getting larger and larger, and let's face it gif has been outdated ever since youtube existed, just that nobody bothered to make the technology to integrate it into everything till now. If this is indeed possible to do on VB, then it'd be a pretty cool change.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:34 PM   #5
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Nope, and nothing of value has been lost. Keep that HTML5 garbage out of UPN.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #6
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Sorry, but it's nobody's fault but yours if the world passes you by for an infinitely better standard.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Morg View Post
Nope, and nothing of value has been lost. Keep that HTML5 garbage out of UPN.
I wouldn't call it garbage. And even if that is your belief ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
HTML5 is intended to subsume not only HTML 4, but also XHTML 1 and DOM Level 2 HTML.
... I don't know that you have much say in the matter if you wish to continue to browse the Internet beyond 2020. Google is leading the charge in HTML5 adoption, making use of their immensely popular YouTube property to bit by bit migrate society away from one shackled to proprietary plug-in technologies like Flash and Java to one which can find its entire toolkit within the native browser language of HTML. While most videos on YouTube are still in either .flv or .mp4 format, most/all new uploads also have HTML5 versions and it's believed that .flv will eventually be phased out entirely.

It's hard to deny that Google's influence is both large and wide. They are not the be-all, end-all for the Internet ... but they're as prime a mover as is Microsoft. Indeed, I'd draw a lot of comparisons between HTML5 adoption and Google in 2015 with HTML4 adoption and Microsoft in 1998. (I still remember when "HTML4" was a thing people said!)
Old 06-12-2015, 02:41 AM   #8
Mercutio
Banned

Works on my fairly new computer, absolutely no material benefit, go crazy.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:10 AM   #9
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Given that not everyone has good internet it might be pretty useful the next time UPN goes gif-happy. It would also allow people to post actually decent quality and/or long gifs...

...Is there any way we can have these as avatars, anyone know?
Old 06-12-2015, 04:21 AM   #10
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Yeah just as a note, Talon's gif lagged hard when it was a .gif but as a .webm I got no lag what so ever.

This is only really a good thing tbh.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:43 AM   #11
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

This sounds confusing, new, and scary. The unholy trifecta of things I don't want.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #12
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I can vouch for .webm's, but putting in native support seems a little bit difficult.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
I can vouch for .webm's, but putting in native support seems a little bit difficult.
How so? I provided the license holder (in this case Kuno) the code ripe for the taking. The only possible issue is that it is optimized for later versions of vBulletin than what we run -- but given dami's implementation of a YouTube tag many years ago, I find it borderline impossible to believe that an embedded media object native to HTML5 cannot have an embed tag written for it on older versions of vBulletin. Like ... it should be as easy as the img tag, and much much easier than the YouTube tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Yeah just as a note, Talon's gif lagged hard when it was a .gif but as a .webm I got no lag what so ever.

This is only really a good thing tbh.
Were you viewing on a mobile device? That's another thing: animated GIFs, for whatever reason, are super difficult on smartphones' resources. But WebMs flat out do not work on iOS (at least as of January; and I'm stuck on iOS 7.x anyway so my personal experiences can't be relied upon for users of the latest operating system). The Imgur one works ... because it's not a WebM you're loading there if you load it on iPhone -- it's an MP4 video file they've provided as a courtesy to iPhone users.

However, "embed does not work in iOS" is no different for WebM than it is for UPN's YouTube tag. "BORKED," "BORKED," "BORKED," am I right? If we're not beating down the door of the YouTube tag for failing iOS users, I see little reason for us to halt implementation of a WebM tag over this.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #14
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Were you viewing on a mobile device? That's another thing: animated GIFs, for whatever reason, are super difficult on smartphones' resources. But WebMs flat out do not work on iOS (at least as of January; and I'm stuck on iOS 7.x anyway so my personal experiences can't be relied upon for users of the latest operating system). The Imgur one works ... because it's not a WebM you're loading there if you load it on iPhone -- it's an MP4 video file they've provided as a courtesy to iPhone users.

However, "embed does not work in iOS" is no different for WebM than it is for UPN's YouTube tag. "BORKED," "BORKED," "BORKED," am I right? If we're not beating down the door of the YouTube tag for failing iOS users, I see little reason for us to halt implementation of a WebM tag over this.
On my phone which is Android, the GIF took a bit of time to load, but after the choppy first run through of the GIF, it was a smooth transition. As for the WebM, it works similar to the ugoira (moving illustrations) from pixiv on my phone and loads like a video would, but much faster. On UPN, the Youtube links remain BORKED because lol.

I'm all for a WebM tag though. And maybe incorporating it into the avatars too, like Geet said.

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #15
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
... I don't know that you have much say in the matter if you wish to continue to browse the Internet beyond 2020. Google is leading the charge in HTML5 adoption, making use of their immensely popular YouTube property to bit by bit migrate society away from one shackled to proprietary plug-in technologies like Flash and Java to one which can find its entire toolkit within the native browser language of HTML. While most videos on YouTube are still in either .flv or .mp4 format, most/all new uploads also have HTML5 versions and it's believed that .flv will eventually be phased out entirely.

It's hard to deny that Google's influence is both large and wide. They are not the be-all, end-all for the Internet ... but they're as prime a mover as is Microsoft. Indeed, I'd draw a lot of comparisons between HTML5 adoption and Google in 2015 with HTML4 adoption and Microsoft in 1998. (I still remember when "HTML4" was a thing people said!)
HTML5 will never be standard. I only have to point out what happened in 2007 with the iPhone - previously, the internet was very torrent heavy for file-sharing since that dodged ads and paying fees. 30% of the internet's traffic was due to bittorrent in 2004.

The restructuring of the internet toward stream-oriented material (which is basically a form of DRM) and javascript made ads unavoidable, but it went hand in hand with the NSA surveillance and the killing of Demonoid, MegaUpload and crippling of TPB. But torrents still exist, as do people who go "un-plugged" from Google and the like. I'm sure Google hates those people, just like they hate Cyanogen, but too bad.

As for me, I prefer .gifs to .webms.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:21 AM   #16
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
HTML5 will never be standard.
Well, two years later, HTML5 is more or less standard. Everyone's phasing out Flash like a redheaded stepchild and while gfycat's slightly worse than it used to be, everyone's supporting native WebMs and MP4s now.

Is there any update on natively implementing this into VBulletin now?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:35 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

http://i.imgur.com/GJvjne4.mp4 sums up pretty perfectly how it feels right now to see the Justify text request implemented before the WebM fix. ;p

Code:
<video width="1024" height="768" controls autoplay="true" loop="true">
<source src="{param}" type="video/mp4">
<source src="{param}" type="video/ogg">
<source src="{param}" type="video/webm">
<object data="{param}" width="1024" height="768">
<embed src="{param}" width="1024" height="768">
</object>
</video>
Pulled from this webforum here. Seems pretty innocuous, pretty simple, and pretty straightforward. Can we try this out?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #18
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeet View Post
Well, two years later, HTML5 is more or less standard. Everyone's phasing out Flash like a redheaded stepchild and while gfycat's slightly worse than it used to be, everyone's supporting native WebMs and MP4s now.

Is there any update on natively implementing this into VBulletin now?
Before I even read your bump, I looked at that post and went "what the heck is this"? I have no idea what I was trying to say back then. It should have been obvious that HTML5 would take over as newer frameworks take over the internet, naturally by a wide range of actors frustrated with Flash and not because of Google telling everyone to move. Sure, the lesser stuff would exist beneath the surface (as with my torrent example) but the standard was going to always be the new thing.

Flash has some significant security issues that Adobe/Macromedia deliberately did not fix, so content streamers were more or less forced to move to something more secure.

Whatever the case, I don't care about .webms so long as they encode properly. I'm seeing a lot of BORKED lately when it comes to YouTube videos, on desktop Firefox and Android AOSP.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork