UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 09-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #3801
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
If I want to get big, I don't go work out at the gym.

I do my training at Church's Chicken.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:01 PM   #3802
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"50 Cent dressed up like Cyborg for his four year olds Justice League themed birthday party."

Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:37 AM   #3803
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I was checking out a chimp girl and thinking, "she's cute".

No Homo.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-16-2016, 09:05 AM   #3804
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

So for English today we had to write a poem featuring the names of several different paint colors given to us. Most in my class were serious, but others...

How did I do? The class liked mine.

Spoiler: show
I met dat boi one very cherry day, his rural green skin glistening to the dreaming pink sunset. Aboard his craft paper unicycle, he introduced me to his quirky gold dog of wisdom. The dog of wisdom, climbing out of his cardboard box, talked about his splendor blue ball, and shared with me a word of wisdom. "If the ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours." Nodding his head in agreement, dat boi and the dog of wisdom left me to my reflections on plum.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #3805
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Check out the Game of Thrones cast:

I couldn't recognize any them with clothes on.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-19-2016, 10:06 PM   #3806
satosere
Cascade Badge

I was wondering- what was this thread even originally about?
Old 09-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #3807
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by satosere View Post
I was wondering- what was this thread even originally about?
The original 'I'm Going to Hell' thread was a thread where you'd share funny jokes/stories/etc that made you laugh, but were also terrible, the sort of thing that you'd either feel bad for laughing about or would make you say 'that's awful!' while still laughing. Eventually it became more accommodating to being more facilitated to all types of funny shenanigans, and less about things that made you think you were going to Hell for laughing at (though those posts still popped up, too).

It's been a shell of its former self for a long time now. It's mostly just 'The Misc' of The Misc... we should really probably just rename the thread to 'Shitpost Central (aka the 'I have something to share but have nowhere else to post it' thread)' and make a new actual 'I'm Going To Hell For This' thread, honestly.

Last edited by deoxys; 09-19-2016 at 10:46 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:53 AM   #3808
Crys

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
The original 'I'm Going to Hell' thread was a thread where you'd share funny jokes/stories/etc that made you laugh, but were also terrible, the sort of thing that you'd either feel bad for laughing about or would make you say 'that's awful!' while still laughing. Eventually it became more accommodating to being more facilitated to all types of funny shenanigans, and less about things that made you think you were going to Hell for laughing at (though those posts still popped up, too).

It's been a shell of its former self for a long time now. It's mostly just 'The Misc' of The Misc... we should really probably just rename the thread to 'Shitpost Central (aka the 'I have something to share but have nowhere else to post it' thread)' and make a new actual 'I'm Going To Hell For This' thread, honestly.
Pomf Pomf!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #3809
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I would contest VGM's claim that the thread has been a shell. Going to Heck has been Going Strong for years now.

We're all just massively desensitized.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #3810
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Old 09-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #3811
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

My coworker Otto had triplets last night.

The names he gave them are based on characters from his favourite book: Anne, Frank, and Adolf.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #3812
phoopes
Double Dragon

Even though I have beef with 50 Cent, I must say that that's pretty cool.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:02 PM   #3813
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I'm sorry, you have beef with Fiddy? Personal beef? Phoopes, if there isn't an amazing story here, I'm going to find you and smack you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #3814
Crys

I'm fucking dying
Old 09-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #3815
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
I'm sorry, you have beef with Fiddy? Personal beef? Phoopes, if there isn't an amazing story here, I'm going to find you and smack you.
My mom and I were in New York City for an overnight trip. We've been to see the Today Show filmed a bunch of times before so we didn't bother seeing it that day so we slept in. However, we were walking in the same general direction and saw that they were filming Access Hollywood there that day, so we decided to stop. The two featured guests that day were Mr. T and 50 Cent.

Mr. T was awesome. The entire time before he got on the show, he was saying hi to people in the crowd, signing stuff, taking pictures, all that good stuff. He got to where I was and said hello and shook my hand. I asked if I could take a picture with him and he said, "Of course! You asked nicely. I pity the fool that doesn't ask me nicely." (paraphrased, but something like that). Unfortunately, the filming people grabbed him right at that moment and said that he needed to go on set and there was no time for pictures. So he promised me that after he was done with his segment he'd stop by and get a quick picture with me. True to his word, after his interview was over, Mr. T stopped by and I got this sweet selfie with him:

Spoiler: show

50 Cent on the other hand wasn't so awesome. He pretty much ignored the crowd the entire time and didn't sign anything, just stood around with the camera crew. The only pictures he really took were with the hosts' children, I think. They were some sort of VIP kids that got to be in front of the barrier with him. He did walk over in my general direction the one time and I asked him for a picture. He just shook his head and said no. Like I get it, he probably gets asked for that stuff all the time but it just made him look real bad especially because Mr. T was so fan friendly. During his interview, when he first sat down the host said something like, "So what do I call you? 50 Cent? Fiddy? Curtis?" and me being a dumb fan I yelled out "G-Unit!" (which isn't entirely accurate, 50 Cent isn't G-Unit, he was a part of the rap group G-Unit, but I digress). So when I yell this, 50 Cent looks at me for a split second, makes eye contact, and I swear to god he glares at me before turning back to the interviewer. That made me super angry, like that was literally harmless. I don't understand why he was so upset.

So a few months pass and I'm at college, and I tell some of the older dudes on the water polo team this story. They laugh and ask me how mad I would be if they got a picture with him. I say I'd be super upset but good luck, this dude won't take a picture with you. Not too long after that, I'm chillin' with the boys and a bunch of them pull out their phones to show me pictures. It turns out 50 Cent endorses Effen vodka, and came to my college for a promotional event where if you had a bottle of Effen you could get it signed by him. So all the guys 21 and older on the team went to this event together to take pictures with 50 Cent and get their bottles signed. Just to make me mad.

So basically my beef with 50 Cent is that he wouldn't take a picture with me, but a few months later he took pictures with a bunch of my friends. If I ever see him again I swear to god I'll fight him. Well actually it probably wouldn't go so well because there was that one time where he got shot nine times and survived, so he could probably take me. But I'd let him know I was upset somehow.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #3816
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

What a fuckign legendd

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:32 PM   #3817
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The same way that many/most(?) celebrities will provide signings at a signing event but otherwise decline to sign anything, I can see 50 Cent being okay with photographs and autographs at the vodka event because he had specifically consented to be everyone's photo buddy and signature buddy for the day but that, outside of such events, he wouldn't care for being asked to sign everything or be in photographs all the time.

I think he's come around in his later years, but throughout the '90s and early '00s, Mark Hamill was pretty notorious for this. Super unapproachable outside of conventions. Like, he's come so far the other way now, it seems, that I have to second guess if I am even remembering it right. But that's the thing: Mark was the go-to example I had of this in my mind growing up, of a celebrity who hates to be identified in public and then harassed for autographs, stories, photographs, etc. It was this same time period (1996 to 2003) that I was hugely into Star Wars, and I remember his position being really formative for my own opinions on / understanding of the matter. "Yeah, I wouldn't want to be bothered all the time either ... :\" "Yeah, I guess it'd upset me, too, if people only ever called me 'LUKE!' even though that's not my real name and it's only one out of a dozen characters I've portrayed over the years ..."

I could see 50 Cent, and other celebrities who aren't as friendly as Mr. T was to you, coming around in 20-30 years. Just like Mark Hamill did.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:40 AM   #3818
deoxys
Fog Badge

Reminder that 50 Cent harassed an autistic kid working as a janitor at Cincinnati's airport and uploaded the video for everyone to see

He apologized later and donated a 100k to Autism Speaks after it went viral and got him a lot of negative press. Take that as you will.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:06 AM   #3819
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm not saying he's a good man or a good role model. I don't know much about him or his music. I was only weighing in on phoopes' story and how we could reconcile the behavior in New York with the behavior at phoopes' university. Even if 50 Cent is a terrible person, I could still believe quite easily that another celebrity, one we could all agree is a nice person, would not want to provide signings outside of a scheduled signing event, would not want to "celeb it up" with the public, etc.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:09 AM   #3820
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post

I think he's come around in his later years, but throughout the '90s and early '00s, Mark Hamill was pretty notorious for this. Super unapproachable outside of conventions. Like, he's come so far the other way now, it seems, that I have to second guess if I am even remembering it right. But that's the thing: Mark was the go-to example I had of this in my mind growing up, of a celebrity who hates to be identified in public and then harassed for autographs, stories, photographs, etc. It was this same time period (1996 to 2003) that I was hugely into Star Wars, and I remember his position being really formative for my own opinions on / understanding of the matter. "Yeah, I wouldn't want to be bothered all the time either ... :\" "Yeah, I guess it'd upset me, too, if people only ever called me 'LUKE!' even though that's not my real name and it's only one out of a dozen characters I've portrayed over the years ..."

Does anybody enjoy being associated with Star Wars? It seems like all the actors hate it. Most infamously Sir Alec Guinness, who was once asked for an autograph by a little kid who said that he had watched Star Wars 100 times. Alec agreed, on the condition that the boy promise him to never watch Star Wars again, which caused him to burst into tears.

And then of course there's Jake Lloyd. But if I had to constantly deal with people chasing me down the street while yelling, "NOW THIS IS PODRACING, EH JAKE?!" I'd be crabby about it too.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:37 AM   #3821
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
Does anybody enjoy being associated with Star Wars? It seems like all the actors hate it. Most infamously Sir Alec Guinness, who was once asked for an autograph by a little kid who said that he had watched Star Wars 100 times. Alec agreed, on the condition that the boy promise him to never watch Star Wars again, which caused him to burst into tears.
I dunno. I know Mark Hamill started to embrace it circa 2010. I think years of praise for his voice acting work in the '90s and '00s helped him out. He was no longer typecast as "the guy who played Luke Skywalker," and had many people openly telling him they thought he turned in a stronger acting performance as the Joker than he did as Luke. Which, let's face it, is probably true since he was so young and inexperienced in 1977 and is probably something he'd want to hear as a career actor who wants to hear that he's improved and that his improvement has been noted. As of 2015, he seems to be in full-blown "GRANDPA LUKE! >3" mode with the fans. He seems very, very caring and seems to be having a grand ol' time. It probably also helps that convention going has itself gone mainstream. While Star Wars itself was always a mainstream phenomenon, most of the con goers in the '80s and '90s were probably your stereotypical "Western otaku." Nowadays, it seems like lots and lots of "normal people" go to conventions like Comic Con. I have to think that that helps.

I'm recently aware about Harrison Ford wanting Han Solo to be written out of the story as early as Return of the Jedi, but I never really perceived him as being a Star Wars grouch until the 21st century. My childhood only knew a Harrison Ford who, at least outwardly, was warm to both Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Perhaps I didn't see enough of the signs back then to notice. *shrug*

Carrie Fisher, I don't know how she feels about Star Wars.

Peter Mayhew, Kenny Baker, Anthony Daniels, David Prowse, and James Earl Jones ... all of these guys, I have always thought they liked Star Wars and their roles in it, even if they may not have gotten along with all of their fellow cast members. (See also: George Takei liking his role in Star Trek but not being best friends with William Shatner.) I think Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) and Kenny Baker (R2-D2) were big(ger) on autographs? Maybe? I guess I really don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
And then of course there's Jake Lloyd. But if I had to constantly deal with people chasing me down the street while yelling, "NOW THIS IS PODRACING, EH JAKE?!" I'd be crabby about it too.
Jake Lloyd's an unfortunate case. The problem is, we're not wrong to hate his performance in The Phantom Menace. It was awful. That stated, when people hate your performance, it can be hard not to take it personally. To be bitter about what you were told was supposed to be. ("You're gonna be a star, kid!") To be frustrated that people don't understand what it was like. To have the results of your labor confused with the effort you put in. ("Even if my performance sucked, you guys have no idea how hard I tried ...!")

Jake Lloyd and the guy who played Jar Jar are in similar boats. Only for Jake, his name was better known to the public (because of the higher profile of his character) and also his appearance. "The guy who played Jar Jar" is only the guy who played Jar Jar to me. I'd recognize his name if you wrote it, but I can't for the life of me tell you it from memory. Liam Neeson, Ewan MacGregor, Natalie Portman, Hayden Christensen, all of these names I can recall for you. And of course, Jake Lloyd. And the guy who played Jar Jar, his face is pretty much unknown to me. I'm sure I've seen it before, in magazines and TV clips. But mostly, he's just a cartoonish voice behind a CGI mask. Jake Lloyd, we got to see his actual face. That translates to years of torment at school, no matter what school he went to. And I happen to know that Lloyd went to school -- because in another moment of "What a small world!", Jake Lloyd went to Park Tudor, a well-known preparatory school on the north side of Indianapolis, Indiana. Jake Lloyd went to high school in my state. He wasn't home schooled. He wasn't given a Victorian-style education with a private tutor. He went to a "public private" school alongside hundreds of Hoosier boys and girls. Almost all of whom would have seen Episode I. Almost all of whom would have thought lowly of his performance.

I feel bad for him as a human being ...

But man did his performance suck. We can blame a lot of it on the script, but holy balls was he not a great child actor. They're precious few, so hard to come by ...
Old 09-22-2016, 06:39 AM   #3822
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I'm recently aware about Harrison Ford wanting Han Solo to be written out of the story as early as Return of the Jedi, but I never really perceived him as being a Star Wars grouch until the 21st century. My childhood only knew a Harrison Ford who, at least outwardly, was warm to both Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Perhaps I didn't see enough of the signs back then to notice. *shrug*
Even earlier! He wanted Solo to die in The Empire Strikes Back during the carbonite scene, which while powerful I disagree with since from a meta perspective it would have made Leia falling for him a more disposable plot-line. Like "cheating" on Luke instead of an actual change of course.

Much of Ford's discontent with SW was obscured by Lucas, because most of that ire was directed toward Lucas' writing, and Lucas had control of history through his making-of-Star Wars segments in the film re-releases. You pretty much had to hear about it through actors in conventions prior to the internet bringing it out in public.

I feel like, though, he genuinely liked his time in both New Hope, Empire and the Indy films. The malcontent probably wasn't super strong until Jedi where Han Solo was basically the damsel-in-distress.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #3823
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Reminder that 50 Cent harassed an autistic kid working as a janitor at Cincinnati's airport and uploaded the video for everyone to see

He apologized later and donated a 100k to Autism Speaks after it went viral and got him a lot of negative press. Take that as you will.
Donating to Autism Speaks is like doubling down on the ableist bullshit tbh.
Quote:
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:58 PM   #3824
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Jose Fernandez's ownership in Yahoo Fantasy Baseball dropped from 99% to 89% in one day.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #3825
Crys

Well he did die today.

also

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc