UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 07-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pokémon Bots

In the Go community, you can play the game against artificial intelligences of varying degrees of skill. The same thing is true in the mahjong community, the poker community, and the chess community. I'm sure most of you have played, at some point in your life, a game of chess or backgammon against a computer opponent. So I was just thinking ...

First, how come we don't see the option to play an artificial intelligence on Pokémon Showdown? While there is no shortage of willing human opponents, I can speak from experience in the Go community that sometimes you just feel like playing against a computer, whether because you're seeking a challenge or whether because you're looking for someone to just beat up on and not have to think too hard about things. Furthermore, there are many educational bots in the Go community. I wonder if there could not be similar bots for beginners to learn from in the Pokémon community.

Second, have I played against an artificial intelligence before and I just didn't know it? Like, are there any ordinary user accounts that are known to be someone's bot?

Third, how would societies like Smogon respond to the presence of A.I.-controlled accounts? Smogon's staff seems to be pushing more and more heavily for a "chess-ification" of Pokémon, one where the elements of luck outside players' control are stripped from the game and it boils down to players' own choices. But the thing is, the design of an A.I. for chess-like games is considerably easier than it is for more unpredictable games like Go; and even games like Go have A.I.s capable of defeating dan players, the Smogon OU equivalent being, I guess, players with scores of 1750 or greater. What would happen to Smogon if bots became a thing? What would the arrival of bots mean for the ladder?

Fourth, what are your personal thoughts on bots? Would you enjoy playing against a bot? Would you want to know whether you were playing a bot or not before the match began? If some people wanted bots banned and others did not, which course of action would be best for the policymakers in that society?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
1. There are probably bots on Showdown but there isn't an official option to select them, because who aside from is going to be running the bots 24/7 for people to play on a whim?

2. Almost certainly, although with the min/maxing that happens with competitive Pokemon I think the difference between a skillful human and a bot is probably negligible.

3. You only have to look at chess websites as a comparison. I never see bots and human players on the same site and explicitly labeled as such, so there's probably a distaste for having to face a grandmaster-like skill level every time one plays. You have to win once in a while, right?

4. I'd marry one. Especially if her name was Sora Akanegasaki.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Well if there aren't any, make some! Although Comp!Bots would be a lot harder to make but its still feasible :/
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
All I have to say is the Challenge Cup ladders have two bots named "Stretcher" and "Mah Buns"

Last edited by Chiko; 07-15-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Chiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Heather
Naga's Voice

I think that battle frontiers and stuff already try its best to make comp-level AIs for people to fight in the post game. While they'll probably never match up with top or even mid ladder players, it shows that the concept is a feasible thing of given to the right people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park

Last edited by Heather; 07-23-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

You can always play the Cheating Maison!
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON