UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Articuno Sochi Winter Olympics 2014

So this has already started but the OCs air in the US in like 30 minutes, so.

Who's excited?!

I would be more excited if it wasn't for the fact that the Russian government decided to have a bigotry fest right before the Olympics started.

But whatever I'm still excited for all the competition!

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
McSweeney
Soul Badge

The opening ceremony was pretty sweet. It was way better than Canada's bizarre viking lumberjacks and horrible hipster poet from four years ago!

Well it helps to have some cool history to draw from. Not Canada's origin story of: "Some old guys decided to make a country, so they filled out some paperwork".

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 02-08-2014 at 09:41 AM.
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I like Biathlon it's fun!

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 02-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Speed skating is fun too ^_^
Especially when your country wins Bronze, Silver, and -with a huge margin- Gold

And I watched the slopestyle for men this morning, really cool all those stunts, though kinda surprised with the final score in the very last run of the event. Should have been higher imho.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Lucario188
Thank you Daisy!

I watched some of the opening ceremony; the projection on the floor of the ocean, buildings, etc. was neat.

Another cool thing was Japan's figure skating duo using "Do You Hear the People Sing?" from Les Mis during their routine.

I also appreciate Google's LGBT support with their Olympic Google Doodle earlier this week.

--
--
Quote:
[1/19/14] Kit Kat: Oh please, you can't do Emo.
[1/19/14] Kit Kat: You're like happy and shit.
Lucario188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
Selena
Aroma Lady

Winning all three medals with speed skating is fun, and being the first major event makes a great start.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Every year the Olympics occur, I always miss them. This will be no different.

/wishes I was fast enough to try out for track. x_x
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:00 AM   #8
Escalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalion View Post
Speed skating is fun too ^_^
Especially when your country wins Bronze, Silver, and Gold
lol again
Old 02-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to KratosAurion
I watch all of the Sochi coverage we get here in Panama. I definitely love most of the sports involved, and have a confirmed soft side for Curling. Too bad we cannot practice any of these aforementioned "Winter Sports" here, since, you know, no snow and whatnot.

// PASBL // Wild Future //
KratosAurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
Escalion

Clean Sweep #3 in Speed Skating for the Dutch ^_^
And with a huge margin on everyone else, including place 4, who also happens to be Dutch
Old 02-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
Selena
Aroma Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalion View Post
Clean Sweep #3 in Speed Skating for the Dutch ^_^
And with a huge margin on everyone else, including place 4, who also happens to be Dutch
This is getting a bit boring actually. Is there no one good enough to challenge our champions these days?

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Old 02-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
This is getting a bit boring actually. Is there no one good enough to challenge our champions these days?
Maybe you missed Poland's gold in the men's 1500m?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
Selena
Aroma Lady

I didn't, but that's still one guy. He was good though. (although the difference was ridiculously small) Not that I hope we'll lose or anything, but some of these races feel more like the national championships than the Olympics if you know what I mean.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Old 02-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
I didn't, but that's still one guy. He was good though. (although the difference was ridiculously small) Not that I hope we'll lose or anything, but some of these races feel more like the national championships than the Olympics if you know what I mean.
That's hardly the point. Your national pride blinded you to the realities of the situation:
  1. that other nations are outperforming the Netherlands in speed skating, just not in every event
  2. that the sport of speed skating has already reached a ceiling so concrete that the frequent difference between first and second place is on the order of tenths of a second, requiring the sport to regularly clock out to hundredths of a second
  3. and that this ceiling is really quite so extreme that the need arose to measure out to the thousandths place in order to discern the victor
Words like "Is there no one good enough to challenge our champions these days?" not only downgrade the accomplishments of those who have bested your best at the 2014 Winter Olympics but also those who have bested your best in previous Olympics. A quick look at the medal tally for speed skating indicates that the Netherlands' lead over 2nd place (which happens to be the United States) is only three gold medals and that its lead for total medals is less than 25% over Finland (98 versus 80). Is it fair to conclude from the medal tallies that speed skating is "the Netherlands' event"? Sure! Not only do you guys have the most golds and total medals in history but you also have the most medals by far at the 2014 Winter Olympics for the event. But even for the 2014 Winter Olympics, is it right to say, "Man, this sport is so boring these days! It feels more like the national championships than the Olympics! We just win everything!" Not if you're eying the golds. You guys have won five out of the eight events so far. While that's commendable, it also means that there's room for excitement for an upset. This is not an 8-0 score or even a 7-1 score. At only 5-3, it suggests that while the Netherlands enjoys a strong speed skating program that attracts the very best, other nations have athletes who are more than capable of measuring up. If anything, this should make future speed skating events exciting for you to watch: it seems you've got a 60/40 chance of victory which, while favorable, is still in that psychological realm of 50/50 likelihoods where you can't help but to bite your nails right on up until they cross the finish line.

I think it's also worth pointing out that, unlike the Michael Phelps years where world record after world record just kept getting smashed, both the world and Olympic records for men's speed skating remain unbroken in many events. The 500, for instance, remains in the hands of Canada (world) and the United States (Olympic), set as recently as 2002. Other events similarly have not had their records broken at Sochi 2014, though some of these records are already held by the Netherlands. (For example, Sven Kramer, the winner of the 5000m men's gold, is both the world and Olympic record holder for the event, but he set these records in 2007 and 2010 respectively.) So while it's undeniable that a lot of the speed skating events at Sochi (particularly the men's events) saw Dutchman after Dutchman after Dutchman crossing the finish line before anyone else did, it's also fair to point out that none of these men outperformed history's best -- and thus it's completely possible for some other nation to outperform them as they skate not only for gold but for the world record.

Your guys' speed skaters kick ass and it's great that you guys are setting the bar so high for all the world to follow. I am happy for you guys that you dominated in this event -- many nations go to the Olympics and don't even take home a single medal, never mind a gold. I just don't think you should be saying things like, "Man, this is boring. No one can catch us." Especially not if when someone points out to you where you did get beaten you're just going to dismiss it like you did to me just now. ("That's one guy." "The difference was ridiculously small.")
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
Escalion

I totally agree with you Talon XD
There is still enough excitement left.
And I kinda find it a bummer the two Norwegian speed skaters decided not to start the 10K because we are likely to get another sweep with Sven Kramer, Jorrit Bergsma and Bob de Jong.
Sobrev and a French skater also don't start, but that's for unknown/medical reasons.

I for one am very happy with the results, our team worked very hard for four years and probably had to give up a lot of things, and that their effort pays off so well is great to see. And even if we dominate certain events, the order of which is still exciting to watch, I mean everyone in the Netherlands expected Wüst to win the 1500 meter today, but she only got Silver due to an unexpected Olympic Record by Jorien ter Mors. And as said, we're not dominating everything (yet )

But to make a point on the record times, it should be noted that the fast majority of the records is set on a highland track (Calgary and Salt Lake are 1,000+ meter above sea level), while Sochi is lowlands. And that does make a difference of seconds, which is a lot in speed skating.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #16
Escalion

Guess what.

Another speed skating sweep for the Dutch XD
And an OR and lowland WR for Bergsma.
Pity Kramer couldn't beat him, but most of all I'm happy for Bob de Jong ^^
Old 02-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #17
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

It seems the time for American Speed Skating has long passed.

Oh well.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 02-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #18
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
We need Apollo!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #19