So let's play a game.

Seen all that's aired:
Hunter x Hunter
Shingeki no Kyojin / Attack on Titan
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Aku no Hana
Clannad
Another
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (original TV series)
Hataraku Maou-sama
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
Mirai Nikki

Seen some of what's aired:
Dragon Ball Z
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai
Death Note
Little Busters
Sword Art Online
Mondaijitachi ga Isekai kara Kuru sou desu yo?
Toaru Majutsu no Index
Tsubasa Chronicles

Only heard of it:
Yuu Yuu Hakusho
Fairy Tail
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Angel Beats
School Days
Black Cat
D. Gray Man
Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru
Date A Live

Haven't even heard if it before now:
Kotoura-san

How do you compare? How much do you overlap with our stranger from the Internet?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #6677
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Seen all:
Clannad
Madoka Magica (including Rebellion)
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (including Disappearance)
Death Note

Seen some:
Dragonball Z -Watched until about beginning of Cell Saga, never ended up finishing the whole thing, the dub was just so intolerably bad. Instead of finding some subs I got into reading Fist of the North Star instead.
Higurashi - I'm sure you all know the story by now. Take the first four episodes and make a horror movie out of it, please.
Black Cat - Read some of the manga, it's about as generic of a shounen as it gets. That XIII tattoo on his pectoral muscle is pretty sweet though :O

Things that I have either heard of or not heard of, not entirely sure because many of them are random jumbles of indecipherable Japanese words to me:
Everything else

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:57 PM   #6678
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

Seen all:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Minus Disappearance, but plan to watch it before school starts back up)

Seen some of:

Fairy Tail (First Season, but then got bored of it)
Dragonball Z (Random watchings from as a kid when they showed it on TV)

Heard of:

Hunter x Hunter
Angel Beats
Clannad
Sword Art Online
Deathnote
Date A Live
D. Gray Man
Madoka

No clue what most of them say besides the ones I recognized or knew from your list.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #6679
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Let me see...

Seen all of:
Sakurasou no Pet wa Kanojo
Clannad
Another
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Hataraku Maou-sama
Mirai Nikki
Sword Art Online
Toaru Majutsu no Index (season 1)
Angel Beats
School Days
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu (season 1)
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun (season 1)

Watched Some of:
Shingeki no Kyojin
Dragon Ball Z
Death Note
Little Busters
Tsubasa Chronicles
Fairy Tail
Yuu Yuu Hakusho
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Kotoura-san

Only Heard of:
Hunter X Hunter
Aku no Hana
Black Cat
D. Gray Man
Date A Live

Retardedly Long Japanese Name:
Mondaijitachi ga Isekai kara Kuru sou desu yo? - I've probably heard of this, but I can't be assed to remember that kind of freaking name unless I've watched it and enjoyed it (Yahari ore is an example).

What's the connection between these shows anyway? Are they all the shows this guy has watched or something?

Cromartie High School
I figured I'd give this show a rewatch. Nothing really changed this rewatch. It's still an awesome fucking show. The humor can get a bit repetitive, and the studio's blatant budget saving can get annoying, but almost every episode leaves me laughing my ass off. Too bad there aren't more shows nowadays with this kind of quality. Also Freddie is my idol!

Love Live!
Watched the first two episodes of this. Its premise represents one thing about Japan that has been irritating me lately (and kind of hoping my fake Urobuchi idea isn't so fake). Despite the dumbass idol obsession, it's still an entertaining show. Watching the main characters do everything they can to save the school and become idols is atleast somewhat entertaining. Also I like how everyone in the school is banding together to do what they can. That atleast gives the show a nice atmosphere as opposed to the Aikatsu BS of "GIRLS ARE SUDDENLY AMAZING IDOLS!". I'm not enamored yet, but I'm not bored either.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #6680
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
What's the connection between these shows anyway? Are they all the shows this guy has watched or something?
I found the picture inside of this tweet, which in turn came up in my search results when searching for "さくら荘 filter:images" sans quotation marks. The hashtags imply that the original tweeter asked people to retweet his tweet if any of the anime listed in the picture were among the reader's favorites. I'll admit that I'm less clear on what's being conveyed by the text up top: 物語 means tale/story and according to the dictionary 再構成 means reconstruction or reorganization; so 物語を再構成し過ぎないで欲しい would mean "[if you] want [3rd party] to not go too far in reconstructing [a tale]" if I'm reading it right. And then with the full message, we have 物語を再構成し過ぎないで欲しい⇒「さくら荘」と思う人は⇒RT , so what I said before followed by "those who're thinking of Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo --> Retweet" in the second half.

I didn't think the Sakurasou adaptation was too different from the books (from what we saw). They changed the order of a few scenes. They omitted a few scenes. They went wild with the little sister, which was annoying. And they Korean-ified some Japanese porridge. Aside from that, I thought we found that the series stayed pretty close to the books. Not to mention it was gorgeously animated and had an excellent assembly of voices matched to the characters. If someone is bawwing over J.C. Staff's Sakurasou adaptation not being faithful enough, I think they should probably check out a laundry list of other series ...

... And I guess that laundry list, in the opinion of at least one person, happens to be the image I tweeted to start off with? ^^; No idea. It would seem that that might be the case though.

In which case, maybe we can play another game:

Out of the series listed above, which are your top five/three/one most in need of a do-over that is more faithful to the source material?

Before I submit my answers though, some continued discussion. Because there are some really weird inclusions on this list if it really is meant to be a complaint-list of series that were changed too much from their source material. Why the hell is Hunter x Hunter on there? Hunter x Hunter was cel for cel faithful to the manga for the most part, and even when it wasn't cel-for-cel faithful it was still in a general sense manga-faithful. Why is Madoka on the list? Madoka is its own source material. It can't possibly be unfaithful to itself. (I guess the movies could be, but he didn't list the movies, did he?) Sword Art Online was largely faithful to its source material from what we discovered: all it significantly changed was telling the events of Books 1 and 2 in chronological order rather than presenting the events of Book 1 first followed by the (largely flashback) events of Book 2 second. I'd call that an upgrade -- you wouldn't want to watch Book 1's meat and then have to sit through the boring fat of Book 2 for two months.

Okay, as for my own list ...

I guess Sakurasou would weakly top my list and I'd end it about there. I don't really want / need a Sakurasou reboot, but if they were to make one, then sure, go ahead and undo the changes that J.C. Staff made to the script. (I don't care about the Korean soup, but the changes with Kanda's little sister should go.)

As for the other shows, I either haven't seen enough of them (and so can't weigh in) or else I have seen enough but I really, really don't think they want / need a reboot. Another? Aku no Hana? Death Note? Fairy Tail? I think we're good, guys. There are series in much more dire need of do-overs (Chrno Crusade, Mekakucity Actors) than the series in this list. At least from what I know.

EDIT: Well, add Little Busters to the top of the list (even above Sakurasou) based on what I know you guys said. But I haven't seen it myself so I can't really judge.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #6681
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Finished:

Madoka
Another
Haruhi
OreGairu
Angel Beats
Higurashi
Index

Seen parts of:

DBZ
HxH
Death Note
Shingeki
Sakurasou
Clannad
Hataraku Maoh
Chuunibyou
SAO
Little Busters (game finished)
Yu Yu Hakusho
School Days
Hentai Cat
Baka + Test
Mirai Nikki
Date A Live
D. Gray-man
Problem Children

Never seen:

Railgun
Black Cat
Tsubasa
Umineko

Never heard of:

Kotoura-san

My spread is interesting because I tend to finish only the better shows. Not a rule, just a trend, but it sure feels like there are no top anime in the "not finished" category, and all my top anime are in the finished one.

Of the "finished" anime, OreGairu got a 10/10 from me. OreGairu is legitimately one of those legendary shows that appears every few years, ironically I think I just finished tsuritama (also good!) right before it. What a great stretch!
It isn't that faithful to the light novel in a chronological sense (ripping out a lot of stuff) but was great front to back however.

Angel Beats and Higurashi occupy the lower tier of finished shows, with I having a high opinion of Index's first season.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #6682
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Rewatched the final scene of Episode 24 of Planetes. (massive spoiler!)

Spoiler: show
Still amazing. Her entire life's philosophy called into question as she confronts her own imminent demise. That desperate, shrill "DO YOU COPY!? DOUUUSHITEEE!?!" gets me every time.

Thought we had a thread for Best Scenes. Tried to find it by forum search. Failed. But found this old little gem instead. I don't find it anywhere near as funny as I must have that night. It is pretty funny, though, I'll admit. What a name for a character ...

As for Love Live!, I haven't seen it but I have seen all/most of the main girls and, based on looks alone, I can say that I like Minami Kotori best.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #6683
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Most of those shows are pretty good adaptations from what I know. Little Busters and Umineko are the only ones that really need one imo. Umineko is famous for having a bad anime, and Little Busters is...well...yeah.

All of you are fortunate to have not heard of Kotoura-san. It's a big shit stain on Masahiko's record. It started off promising too.

None of the Love Live characters really stand out to me. I knew Nico beforehand ("knew" as in bothered to remember her name) because her "Nico Nico Ni!" thing was popular. Kotori's voice is adorable though.

Futakoi Alternative
Watched the first episode of this. I probably won't finish it. It's basically just a dumb combination of action and moe. I'll watch a couple of more episodes, but my hopes kind of died with that first episode.

It seems another VN of interest (for me atleast) is translated. It's called Littlewitch Romanesque. This is another title from Littlewitch. Period was great in places, and Quartett COULD have been great. Maybe this one will edge over the flaws the other title had? Well the main problem was how rushed they were. No rush and we'll be a-okay!

It has been forever since I've spent a day watching anime. It's nice to get some more shows under my belt, since I've been procrastinating like crazy with my current shows. Bahamut is alright, but difficult to get into. Shigatsu is like having a block of cheese crammed down my throat. Pokemon XY is difficult to watch. Akame ga Edgy is...well....edgy! SAO is SAO (no explanation needed). Then Chiaka and UBW are over.

It's also about time for an end of year post. It has been a very unmemorable year, but I'll try to think of shit that might be memorable!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:41 AM   #6684
Heather
Naga's Voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
<3 you all. No one suggested terrible titan show to the newcomer.
I KNEW I forgot something on my already watched list! Actually can't wait for season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:55 AM   #6685
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm sorry if I find that funny.

Watched:

Bleach
Naruto
One Piece
Shingeki no Kyojin

In fact, that might be even "I'm going to heck" quality funny.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #6686
Talon87
時の彼方へ

How did we not recommend this!? It's ideally suited for a beginner Myles's age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Fowl II View Post
Romance genre is really not for me. I'm okay with it as a plot element, but not the plot itself.
Oh. Right.

I'll just leave these here then ...

I had forgotten just how much wilder the manga is than the toned-down television adaptation.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #6687
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

*shakes head at you guys, for various reasons*

Completed:
Hunter x Hunter
Shingeki no Kyojin
Aku no Hana
Clannad
Another
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (original TV series)
Hataraku Maou-sama
Mirai Nikki
Death Note
Little Busters
Angel Beats
Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko
Kotoura-san

Seen some:
Dragon Ball Z (though I really can't recall anything)
Sword Art Online (first season)

Only heard of:
Mondaijitachi ga Isekai kara Kuru sou desu yo?
Toaru Majutsu no Index
Tsubasa Chronicles
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Yuu Yuu Hakusho
Fairy Tail
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
School Days
Black Cat
D. Gray Man
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
Date A Live
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #6688
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
As for Love Live!, I haven't seen it but I have seen all/most of the main girls and, based on looks alone, I can say that I like Minami Kotori best.
I'm a Maki guy myself, although they are all very beautiful.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 12-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #6689
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

A bit of an unrelated tangent, but I was searching around for fans singing the praises of the "King Piccolo" saga in Dragonball and stumbled across a list from Wikia users detailing their Top 5 favourite arcs.

To my horror, King Piccolo is hardly mentioned, the most common arcs listed to my eyes are all in Z, and even worse "Majin Buu" appears frequently. Buu and Cell were basically filler arcs commissioned to keep the Dragonball cash cow alive, from a narrative standpoint the story peaks in both the King Piccolo and Namek sagas.

King Piccolo was climax of the Dragonball story, as it firmly took the story out of Dr. Slump-esque, Journey to the West gag territory and firmly established itself as its own martial arts story. The "Piccolo Jr." saga that came right afterward was not even close to as intense or moving.

I'm disappointed that so many people fail to recognize a good story when it hits them. It's worth noting that Eiichiro Oda (One Piece's author) was a HUGE Dragonball fanboy but did not care much for Z. He similarly views King Piccolo as the seminal moment of the series, and adapted it in One Piece for the character Crocodile.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-31-2014, 12:57 AM   #6690
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

End of year shit!

Best show - No Game No Life
Admittedly, this might not be the best show for me, but I can't think of any others. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is a close second at the very least. Both are good shows, but they're still not 9/10 material, which is unfortunate.

Worst show I finished - Black Bullet
This show was unintentionally hilarious. It's not terrible, but it's so god damn cheesy.

Best moment - Early season 1 Hamatora spoiler
The scene where the kids beat the teacher's grave with baseball bats. That was such an awesome fucking scene.

Biggest letdown - Sabagebu
There might be a bigger letdown, but I can't think of one. I was looking forward to this because Oota Masahiko, but it turns out the humor is fucking stale. He is better than that!

Biggest Surprise - Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Actually I don't think there have been any shows I had low expectations for, but turned out good. I guess this would be the only show to really qualify, since I don't care for shoujos, and this turned out to be a good show.

Best OP/ED - No Game No Life ED
The song itself isn't that great, but I really like the art/message of it. I can't think of any better ones.

Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight
Watched the first few episodes. Pretty dull show, to be honest. I mean, it's a little amusing, but that's all. Nothing offends me, but nothing excites me either. Also what is with early ufotable anime having a damn puppet ending? Futakoi had one too.

Doppel reminded me that I should read Dragon Ball sometime. I tried looking for the anime, but it's one of Funimation's main cash cows, so I don't want to risk my ass pir...I mean borrowing it. The manga should be fair game though.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 12-31-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:38 AM   #6691
McSweeney
Soul Badge

So Talon, speaking of that Planetes scene ... I'm still very surprised by your comment in the Karei Naru Ichizoku thread that you like live action shows better than anime. Other than Karei Naru and Three Kingdoms, what other live action shows do you hold in very high regard, and think are better than every anime? Do you like Star Trek more than Planetes, for instance? I find it hard to picture something in a Star Trek show that could compete with the legendary Planetes scene you described in that post.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 01-01-2015, 05:26 AM   #6692
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

My end of year ratings (had to look up what I finished):

Best Show: No Game, No Life

Really, is it even close? This show kicked a lot of hiney, being fun and interesting. It wasn't the best animation job but it looked good and was never a bore.

Runner Up: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

I kind of informally dropped this, since I was just too lazy to download more episodes, but what I did see was good. I don't think I could be content with the manga remaining gag the whole time, though. The character designs were great!

Best Drop: Mangaka-san to Assistant-san

A more irritating version of Nozaki-kun, because of the non-stop sexual harassment. Yeah, I'm too old for this stuff.

Runner Up: Mekakucity Actors (NOT ACTUALLY DROPPED)

Had I known this would be a butcher job, and ultimately wouldn't be that fun to heckle, I might have dropped it earlier. I was certainly considering it at one point.

Biggest Disappointment: Hamatora

I didn't have a lot of expectations for it, but figured it would be amusing just for the CV fanservice and silliness of the premise and characters. It ended up being...angrier than I figured. When you prefer the bad guy to some of the main characters, that's never a good sign!

Runner up: Pokemon XY

Serena x Ash canon pairing might make up for how my luster for this degraded. But I won't hold out hope, just be excited if it happens.

Dumbest Show: Black Bullet

The plot and characters are intentionally irrational to drive the sense of exploitation of little girls. And all the little girls want to join main guy's harem, already occupied by his psycho girlfriend who isn't dating him.

Runner Up: Akame ga Kill!

It's mindless fun with gore. At least there isn't some obnoxious commentary on humanity like in Black Bullet.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #6693
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
So Talon, speaking of that Planetes scene ... I'm still very surprised by your comment in the Karei Naru Ichizoku thread that you like live action shows better than anime. Other than Karei Naru and Three Kingdoms, what other live action shows do you hold in very high regard, and think are better than every anime? Do you like Star Trek more than Planetes, for instance? I find it hard to picture something in a Star Trek show that could compete with the legendary Planetes scene you described in that post.
I suppose it's a combination of television and cinema. If we're to not count cinema, then ...

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is one of the best serials I've ever seen. Almost every week is at least 8/10 television, with some weeks being 9/10 or 10/10. The series explores numerous social, moral, and scientific issues. Several of the characters are superbly written. All around, it's a great series. (On the topic of Planetes, does it have a scene that is similar to and superior to the Planetes scene? I don't think so. But it has plenty of dissimilar, just-as-good scenes.) If you haven't seen it before and decide to look into it, keep in mind that Seasons 1 and 2 are weaker than 3 onward, and that 4 is where things really start going high and far.

Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and several other live-action comedies remain amongst my all-time favorites. I don't think any anime comedy I've seen competes head-to-head in the distilled comedy department, though I have greater fondness for plenty (such as Minami-ke and Suzumiya Haruhi) thanks to their complementary elements.

Yoshitsune, the NHK Taiga drama adaptation of the Heike Monogatari that centers around Minamoto no Yoshitsune, is a good adaptation of one of my favorite stories of all time. Like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, it's based on historical events. Unlike Romance of the Three Kingdoms, its ratio of truth to fiction is around 9:1. It is practically the authoritative text on the end of the Heian period for most beginners. And god damn if it isn't a powerful tale.

Also, it features a Japanese Hercules-Samwise Gamgee hybrid who joins archers by hurling boulders at the enemy forces. That may be part of the 10% that's fictional, but still. ;p
Old 01-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #6694
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Best Show: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Fun and humorous, like an Ouran-lite.

Runner Up: Barakamon

Cute slice-of-life.

Worst show I finished: Grisaia no Kajitsu

This was pretty painful to watch, especially if the source is as good as I hear. There were times when it did become interesting - only for it to be ruined by another pantyshot. It ended with an ad for the sequels, but I don't see how they can even get away with further adaptations. And don't even get me started on the "special".

Runner Up: Mekakucity Actors

My original love for the characters and story is the only thing keeping this from the lowest position. Both series were butchered horribly, but I can at least take some comfort and pride in seeing my babies brought to life, however terribly they were handled. Some scenes/new info I really appreciated combined with the fandom experience made it tolerable.

Best Moment: The dinnertalk scene in MCA ep. 08

As mentioned above, there were a few scenes I really loved in MCA for how much it meant in the context of the series as a whole, and this was one of them.

Even watching it now makes me want to cry as soon as the soundtrack starts. OTL

Runner Up: All of Hamatora ep. 05

'Nuff said.

Biggest Disappointment: Do I really need to say?

Runner Up: Re: Hamatora

The first season may have had some flaws, but it was still a lot of fun and I was looking forward to the second to wash the bitter taste of MCA out of my mouth. It unfortunately didn't really live up to the hype. (After getting to know a die-hard fan on tumblr, I'm learning some reasons as to why regarding studio decisions.)

Biggest Surprise: Yama no Susume S2

This was actually probably my most relaxing show, even though it still had moments of cringe-worthy lolimoe.

Runner Up: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

I wasn't impressed with the first couple eps since I'm not a big fan of romance, but again it turned out to be really enjoyable.

Best Drop: Ishuukan Friends

The denial of romance as "friendship" was so strong and sickening in this I couldn't stomach past four eps. The clichés just made me so angry and irritated I was ranting constantly while watching. First time I definitively had to drop something out of sheer frustration, and that's saying something considering I managed to sit through Grisaia.

Runner Up: Akame ga Kill!

I kinda informally dropped this once I realized it was just introducing characters in order to kill them. Maybe I'll finish it at some point (One-Week Lovers is the only thing you'll never get me to touch again with a 10-foot pole), but from what I hear the manga was better anyway.

Best OP/ED: daze/days (MCA OP/ED)

I don't care what anyone says, both these songs have grown tremendously on me and will always remain in my heart. (Even if I surprisingly like the full OP more than the full ED.) I'd suggest some of the insert songs/alternate OPs/EDs as well if they count (and had a better association).

Runner Up: Unravel (Tokyo Ghoul OP) / Uraomote Fortune (Gekkan Shoujo ED)

While TG may have ended up being somewhat lackluster compared to its premise, the OP is still awesome (I was just whimming for it earlier in fact). Gekkan Shoujo's ED isn't really special, but the "hentai yes hentai yes" joke is too good. Its OP also deserves a special mention. Other honorable mentions go to Rehammening's pumped-up OP and World Trigger's (even if the animation is lazy as shit like the rest of the show).

Edit- Forgot to mention Noragami's OP was pretty cool too.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 01-01-2015 at 11:03 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #6695
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This goes to show how badly I have been out of the loop: apparently a Kickstarter by a legally-recognized company was launched in November to bring Clannad over to the English-speaking world; met its initial goals and several stretch goals; and will be funded on January 9, just one week from today. I'm not sure if this means the game will come out on January 9 or if it simply means that the funds will go into the company's bank account on January 9 and that it will take them additional time to get the game out, but regardless this is something that has happened.

I'm not sure about their final sales model, but at least during the time of the Kickstarter they were willing to entertain both physical discs as well as digital Steam downloads. Assuming they will still offer physical discs afterwards, this could be your golden opportunity to own Clannad on DVD in an officially-licensed English format with Japanese voices.

Here is the North American publisher's website. As you can see from their list of currently-licensed titles, Clannad is easily their most expensive property and one of very few that even approximates that level of cost. (I also see lesser-known planetarian as well as Grisaia no Kajitsu there, but the majority of the remaining titles look inexpensive to license.) Reading the About Us page and checking out the "Coming Soon!" empty Shop page, it seems like this publisher is very new to the scene. That in fact it may be a very small team operation, possibly as few as three to five entrepreneurs hoping to combine their love of visual novels with making a living. We'll have to see how they fare. Their survival will surely hinge on players' willingness to spend money on titles that they have become accustomed to downloading for free off of the Internet because of years of international neglect.

Still, for such a small start-up to have secured the rights to Clannad of all titles ... that is very impressive to me. We'll have to see which other famous visual novels they secure the rights to as time moves forward. I believe that most of the nitro+ / 5pb titles are already spoken for, and I wouldn't doubt that Ever17 is likely spoken for already too.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #6696
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

IIRC that company doesn't do anything more than legally publish the fan translations. I'm not sure if I ever knew about Clannad specifically, but I remember this came up before and I discussed Grisaia with BBB before and it's the case with that one, since I remember hearing the Clannad was being available for license, but in Grisaia's case that company definitely appropriated the work.

This is similar to what the company Odex does in Singapore, except they do it for fansubs and have the resources in place to dub/translate anime properly. Sekai Project just pays the licensing fee and dresses up the translated work nicely. Apparently a ton of people value that. Those people are idiots.

/has high hope I can generate some Kickstarter money someday
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #6697
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh really? Is that all this is? If it's an Odex job, then I have to say "Fuck this guy and his team." I've got no problem with someone obtaining the rights and doing a good job localizing it themselves. (On the contrary!) But to take someone else's hard work, illegal produced without legally-sanctioned permission (GRAY ZONE), and to then pass it off as your own in a product you're making money off of ... that is super scummy. Either hire your own damn translator(s) and editor(s) or else don't do it period. (OR ask the original team for permission to use their script and compensate them accordingly. That's a win/win scenario when the fansub script is already done and is of excellent quality.)

In the case of Clannad, I know that former fansub giant Doki became involved in translating both Clannad and Tomoyo After. And IIRC Commie at one point tossed their hat into the ring for Tomoyo After, but that I could just be remembering wrong. Regardless, I know that fansub groups have touched Clannad before. So it'd be pretty easy to prove if this guy's company's product ripped off the fansubbers' scripts or not. If you don't speak Japanese yourself, there are simply too many subtleties in translation for you to guess at tweaking (and into what, exactly?) and leaving alone. Like whether to touch "jackass" or not when the subject is a donkey, whether to touch "creamy" or not when the original word was kuriimii, etc. How to go with honorifics like Tomoya-kun or Oreki-san, how to go with use of the first person name vs. the first person pronoun with childlike characters, so on and so forth.

I dunno. Here's hoping it's not an Odex job and that this guy is doing good, honest work. If it's an Odex job, he's pretty much worse than old school CrunchyRoll. (They made money off of others' subs but at least they never claimed them as their own in-house work!)
Old 01-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #6698
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I generally feel the same way, but I feel that attitude might be superseded by how Americans view sweatshop labour: nobody cares how the product gets to the store, just that it gets there for consumption. Especially in the internet today, where everything is geared to immediate self-gratification. Sekai Project promised a Steam release, which is the ultimate pulpit to expand the Clannad fanbase and potentially get more media released. I wouldn't say it's a stretch for the Clannad fans hearing this deal from the devil to lack pity for the pirates who brought then an English game in the first place.

If you're not familiar with one of the controversies in universities today, Talon, a lot of people are trying to get the "unpaid internship" banned...because students who intern with corporations with the hope of being hired there provide free productivity that turns into real dollars for the company, without the company taking any risk. It's immoral (yet legal) for the company to exploit interns as a resource, even though for the intern's perspective it's something they have to do to get hired. Banning the internship means companies can only offered paid ones...and if you go from say +10 profitability on the free labour to say -2 having to pay an intern, they're not going to take any interns. Everyone gets hurt except those who want to ban the unpaid internship.

The analogy fits our scenario - translators tackle projects like visual novels as resume material and to improve their own translation skills, hoping to get a job with a company like Sekai Project. Meanwhile, we who plea for the plight of the those translators come across as the villains. A role I'd embrace, let the record show, but it's a warped warped world where credit given is no longer credit due.

That said, I've been down this road before but it's not the silliest thing to me. As said Odex has already licensed fan translations before without the translator group's permission. But this is a step forward - let's use donations (i.e., not even our own money) and a fan translation so we can profit!

First off, this business model isn't sustainable since they're handicapped by the number of translated works and the ability for Kickstarter to generate capital. But it's free money whenever it hits. Literally free money. And people actually funded this idea.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-04-2015, 02:23 AM   #6699
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Love Live
I finished watching this. It's an okay show. Nothing special or anything. The music is good, and it's entertaining enough to keep me interested. Sadly it's cliche as fuck towards the end. Actually the ending is downright stupid. It's also irritating how an idol group decides whether or not a school shuts down. I know that's the whole point of the show, but still...idols are getting irritating! I give Love Live a 5.

I've been watching a couple episodes of a French Cartoon. This isn't the place to talk about it, but supposedly a Japanese studio if helping the animation, so why the hell not?! Also I don't want to make a topic in the entertainment forum for something only I give a fuck about. Anyway, it's called Wakfu. It's a very rushed and sloppy show, but eh, it's something to watch while I eat.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #6700
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Not much has aired, but I've checked out some shows.

Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love!
This show almost entirely makes fun of the magical girl genre, which I kind of expected. It's not great or anything, but it's pretty funny. It's amusing how they blindly throw the word "love" around.

Shinmai Maou no Testament
Dropped. Like, I immediately dropped this show. I heard it was worth watching, but it seems I heard wrong! Mostly just generic harem bullshit!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime