UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 10-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #6576
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
So Amagi is a show from this season? Or are you just picking it up now?
This season. Only saw the first ep which came out today.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #6577
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

MOFU! I HAVE RETURNED!

Amagi Brilliant Park - MOFU! It's MOFU! Enough said. (Yes, I'm watching this.)

Magic Kaito 1412 - The arch-nemesis of Detective Conan in-universe, Magic Kaito has Teddy (Persona 4) voicing a magician protag who steals jewelry for some reason. Hijinks! Action! Comedy! Really dumb magic tricks that still seem fun! I'm sticking to this like glue, already revived my Conan-interest and all.

Denki-gai no Honya-san - In a series of workplace animes, this is about the life and workers of a bookstore. The first episode confirms what we already know though: EVERYONE LOVES PR0N. No, that's...actually in the dialog and a plot-thing. The show is cutesy and the comedy works so far, so I'll keep watching.

Trinity Seven - Hey, this makes it...three or four VN-based animes this season? One guy, too many girls, add magic hijinks.

Akatsuki no Youna - A story set in imagined Korea (judging from the clothes and names of EVERYTHING in this show). Redhead spoiled princess gets her vanity and naivety stuffed down her throat when Cousin She Wants To Bang kills her dad over politics. I kinda wanna see where this goes.

Donten ni Warau - Is that Kaji Yuki I'm- YES IT IS WHY WOULDN'T IT BE. Three brothers, one shrine, one huge katana ban all over Japan. It's a "NII-SAN NOTICE ME" story, but I'll give it a few more episodes.

Garo The Carved Seal of Flames - This was a surprise pick, as I was looking for a time-killer for 25 minutes and ended up really liking this one! A father-and-son-combo runs around killing monsters, sleeping with pretty ladies and saving the world from a witch hunt. Mostly action, but I can live with it. Don't let the mecha-armor-stuff fool you, this isn't another Gundam-copy.

Orenchi no Furo Jijou - Hey, a fun comedy about two guys and one bathtub! ...until you see the OP, which seems like this could be a full-on BL drama show with a very interesting plot, 25 minutes per week. Still 4 minutes per episode, but I'm really hoping this'll go somewhere.

Grisaia no Kajitsu - Panties? Panties. But I'm intrigued by the murders and mysteries and killer stuff, so I'll stick to this one.

Sora no Method - AnoHana 2.0, but I'll see how far I can stand it.

Cross Ange - It's a Sunrise production. Only one thing to expect!

Quote:
<%NovaJinx> I was watching Cross Ange
<%NovaJinx> shit is fucking insane
<%NovaJinx> Sunrise went quintuple Sunrise
<+sagematt> I heard it had rape.
<+sagematt> And I was like
<+sagematt> “Of course it did. It’s Sunrise.”
World Trigger - Cibbir hyped this to no end. Let's hope this won't be another KagePro disaster!

Fate Stay HYPE - Hype is hype is hype. I still hate Rin, but anything for Archer and smooth action!

Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete - Long title is long. There's also a French one, and a French subtitle! But I'm not that good at French. Long story short, group of friends and time manipulation to make the most annoying cast member not die. Or that's how it looks after episode 1.

Madan no Ou to Vanadis - Boobs? World conquering? Valkyria-expys? Check, check and check.

Karen Senki - "Hey, those American jerks made this RWBY-thing. Better show 'em how it's done, Japan-style!" Minus the fantasy aspect, plus smoother animation and less dumb dialogue.

Log Horizon 2 - Come on. It's LOG HORIZON. Of course I'm in on this one!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #6578
Talon87
時の彼方へ

*doesn't post for weeks*
*is now watching seventeen different series*

Uhh ... Kaisa ... that's a lot of shows you got there ... O.o;
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #6579
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
*doesn't post for weeks*
*is now watching seventeen different series*

Uhh ... Kaisa ... that's a lot of shows you got there ... O.o;
It's not even counting the stuff that's still running from previous seasons (Ace of Diamond, Yowamushi Pedal etc.) or old stuff I'm just picking up on! :3 (I know, I shock myself too, sometimes.)

And now this thing:

Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu - What two things could ever go together better than dubstep and body horror? This fall's horror anime, not for the faint of heart. Watching! :3
Old 10-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #6580
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So apparently Hatsune Miku is going to appear on The Late Show with David Letterman tonight. O_o
Old 10-09-2014, 03:34 AM   #6581
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

I honestly hope the presentation is better than "LOOK AT THIS WHACKY THING FROM JAPAN!".
Old 10-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #6582
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
BORKED

"Ohh boy."

"a computer-generated Vocaloid, a personality from Japan" *laughter in the audience*

"Okay. Okay. ...All right, that's fine."

"It's like being on Willie Nelson's bus."

Also that guitarist.

P.S. Relevant-

BORKED

"ANIME GIRL!"
Old 10-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #6583
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbleucorsola View Post

m9rJVyisiaI

"Ohh boy."

"a computer-generated Vocaloid, a personality from Japan" *laughter in the audience*

"Okay. Okay. ...All right, that's fine."

"It's like being on Willie Nelson's bus."

Also that guitarist.

P.S. Relevant-

v03aesG_JUs

"ANIME GIRL!"
The Letterman performance was terrible. I couldn't watch it. Thirty seconds of her "singing," then I skipped to the end for his comments. Was that supposed to be English? I couldn't understand anything she was saying but it sounded like she was trying to sing in English rather than in Japanese. Not that the language choice may have mattered much: she sounded like a theremin. Theremins are cool, but a person should not sound like one when singing. It's just too shrilly and unintelligible.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #6584
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
The Letterman performance was terrible. I couldn't watch it. Thirty seconds of her "singing," then I skipped to the end for his comments. Was that supposed to be English? I couldn't understand anything she was saying but it sounded like she was trying to sing in English rather than in Japanese. Not that the language choice may have mattered much: she sounded like a theremin. Theremins are cool, but a person should not sound like one when singing. It's just too shrilly and unintelligible.
It's in English. I've heard the song before (lyrics in description). I actually like the music itself, if not for Miku's vocals. (The performance weirdly made me a little feel-y/happy though.)

The singing in the second one is a bit better. The first one sounds especially warped, maybe due to the English.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:56 AM   #6585
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I watched Cross Ange with impure intentions. I thought it was hilarious the main girls name is "Ikaruga Misurugi" because the royal families in MLA are Kobuin, Mitsurugi, and Ikaruga. I don't think I'll watch any more, really...it's not as campy as Valvrave, despite having the same stereotypical Sunrise elements that are bound to irritate any weathered traveler.

Amagi Brilliant Park - Arab subs. =3=
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #6586
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Amagi Brilliant Park - Episode 2

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #6587
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Amagi Brilliant Park - Episode 2

Yo, Dopple, wanna elaborate a little? Because you've just confused the hell out of me and Yuki in one post!

(Unless that was your goal all along you evil evil person)
Old 10-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #6588
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I would assume his response to the episode was one of Ian Malcolm's most famous lines. The only question is which one:
  • "Life, uh ... finds a way."
  • "... Well there you have it."
  • "Boy do I hate being right all the time."
  • "That is one big pile of shit."
Old 10-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #6589
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Explaining the joke takes away from the impact, my dear fellows.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #6590
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Amagi Brilliant Park

Spoiler: show
No, Yuki and Kaisa did not get me wrapped up in this because of the cute girls. No not at all. Even if the water elemental chick is super cute. Even if Izuzu has a great ass. Nope. Did it for completely different reasons.

Actually, this so far has been pretty good. Episode 1 didn't do too much for me, even with the hilarious gun date scene. It was really down and depressing and while it was cute at times dat ass it really didn't speak to me. Mofu was pretty awesome and the protag was interesting but it never really showed any charm.

That was until Episode 2, where suddenly the charm of the series comes out. The elemental fairies are adorable (I'm a helicopter!), the mascots are really cool (T&A!) and more importantly our Protag shows himself to be an absolutely lovable jerk. I mean yeah, he's a jerk, but he has his reasons for being a jerk, most of the time. We get introduced to "the enemy", henceforth to be referred to as Goldilocks, and we really find out how desperate things are for them. You got it in Episode 1, but it takes a scumbag business man to really drive it home. This Episode was a lot better than 1, and I'm definitely watching this.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #6591
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I was actually the opposite. The first episode left a bigger impact and we got into more worn light novel territory with the second. It was a lot more meaningful to be shown ABP on hard times than the explanation for why they're running it and why it sucked.

Also, I cannot get over how a petite, blonde-haired, blue-eyed princess is named after Queen Latifah.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #6592
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
I was actually the opposite. The first episode left a bigger impact and we got into more worn light novel territory with the second. It was a lot more meaningful to be shown ABP on hard times than the explanation for why they're running it and why it sucked.

Also, I cannot get over how a petite, blonde-haired, blue-eyed princess is named after Queen Latifah.
Damnit I was just about to come here and post about the rapper thing. Makes this image I saw all the more relevant.

Anyway, yeah:

Latifa Fleuranza -> Queen Latifah
Kanie Seiya 可児江 西也 -> Kanye West(西)
Sento Isuzu 千斗 いすず which could be written as 五十鈴 -> Fifty Cent
Kyuubu Aisu 久武藍珠 -> Aisu Kyuubu ICE CUBE

I also preferred the first episode, but the second had its moments. (I'M A HELICOPTER!)

The Monsters Inc. plot is pretty ridiculous, but still cute. Blond asshole villain is cliché as well, but I want those SHAFT-glasses.

I agree the exposition felt a little drawn-out and redundant after the first episode. Seeing how much the park sucked firsthand in contrast to the OP already made me want to root for them. Kanye's motivational speech was great though. Also crocodile tears *shot* and Disney reference.

Fluffy mascots drinking beer and talking about tits and ass was amusing. Funny the pink cat seemed so feminine from first appearance. Wonder what their human projections look like.

Also I was kinda hoping Isuzu was actually a human herself who wants to help the fairy beings. Oh, well. Fairy harem ahoy~
Old 10-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #6593
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The speech is one of the examples of the light novel tropes that bothered me. That and 50 Cent being ice cold but showing vulnerability during the board meeting. To the story's credit, Kanye's past is way more interesting than any other KyoAni title character since Kyon.

Side stepping the magic though, I think the premise is very good. It reminds one of similar 'save the landmark!' titles like The Muppets but putting the creative power in a jaded, cynical 16-year old?

BBB expressed fear at this turning into a harem - and it isn't despite the moe - but I wonder who the series will push Kanye toward, 50 Cent or the princess?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #6594
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wait wait wait wait ... you guys are watching ... a Kyoto Animation anime ... that's moeblobby ... but has characters named after 50 Cent, Kanye West, and Ice Cube? O_o

... What the fuck is wrong with you, Kyoto Animation? ;_; I just want my Haruhi Season 3. Is that really so much to ask?

EDIT: And upon looking into it on Wikipedia I find that it has a the mascot chaacter from Fumoffu too!? O-o Maybe that's why Kyoto Animation just had to animate it. Because the author created a character who was a blatant ripoff clear homage to their very own mascot character from their most popular (?) pre-Haruhi anime.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #6595
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
The speech is one of the examples of the light novel tropes that bothered me. That and 50 Cent being ice cold but showing vulnerability during the board meeting. To the story's credit, Kanye's past is way more interesting than any other KyoAni title character since Kyon.

Side stepping the magic though, I think the premise is very good. It reminds one of similar 'save the landmark!' titles like The Muppets but putting the creative power in a jaded, cynical 16-year old?

BBB expressed fear at this turning into a harem - and it isn't despite the moe - but I wonder who the series will push Kanye toward, 50 Cent or the princess?
Yeah I alluded to this in my edit but-

I wish Isuzu's (feel weird calling her 50 Cent) social weaknesses weren't explained away by having her be a fairy being as well. I wanted her to be a human who's in on the secret but also helping them. Would also present a nice parallel to the Latifah vs. 50 Cent "romantic drama".

I agree Kanye's one of the more interesting protags to come out of Kyo-Ani. I'm really curious to see what his past is.

This seems to be more of a Park Tycoon story than it is a romance or harem, which I'm down for. The first episode actually taught me there's a difference between an amusement park and a theme park.

Quote:
Wait wait wait wait ... you guys are watching ... a Kyoto Animation anime ... that's moeblobby ... but has characters named after 50 Cent, Kanye West, and Ice Cube? O_o

... What the fuck is wrong with you, Kyoto Animation? ;_; I just want my Haruhi Season 3. Is that really so much to ask?

EDIT: And upon looking into it on Wikipedia I find that it has a the mascot chaacter from Fumoffu too!? O-o Maybe that's why Kyoto Animation just had to animate it. Because the author created a character who was a blatant ripoff clear homage to their very own mascot character from their most popular (?) pre-Haruhi anime.
You and Dopple mention the moe, and while I agree the show has that, I'm actually pleasantly surprised the character designs are not so (loli)moeblob as per Kyo-Ani tradition. I mean hot damn. Look at those legs. And those boobs. (Also the rapper names just make it more awesome.)

Honestly, I find this a satisfactory replacement for now. It has a bit of Haruhi flavor in its premise. And the fact it features the mascot character from Fumoffu is the main reason I wanted to watch in the first place (the first episode lampshades the "ripoff" as well). Like I said, it feels like a Haruhi x Fumoffu, and reminds me of the fun I had in watching both of those series.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 10-10-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #6596
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The elemental girls, if you could properly call them blobs, are more side characters than the main attraction.

I don't think Talon's hypothesis is far off, either! Didn't something similar to that happen with Kyoukai no Kanata? It was runner up in a KyoAni contest, and members of the staff were such "dai fans" it got made into a terrible anime?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #6597
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Three new shows!

Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de
A harem eh.... Whatever. It's funny atleast, but it seems this show has no qualms about reusing its jokes, so I'm sure alot of its jokes will be reused. Let's see how long I will stick with this.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
I started watching this because it seemed like a more serious Nodame Contable. Actually I need to rewatch that show someday. This show could go either way. It could be a really touching romance, but it could also be very cliche and cheesy. One scene really killed the mood of the whole episode, and I hope they don't pull that shit again. Despite that though, I like the show so far. Also the opening is really pretty.

Hitsugi no Chaika Avenging Battle
Not much to say about this. Same quality as season 1, and it's getting into the more important plot details. God I hope this completes the damn story. Though it's 10 episodes long, so I have my doubts.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #6598
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbleucorsola View Post

I mean hot damn.
Weird. The far left girl looks like a parody of Lina from Dota 2, who was herself a parody of Lina Inverse from Slayers.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #6599
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
I started watching this because it seemed like a more serious Nodame Contable. Actually I need to rewatch that show someday. This show could go either way. It could be a really touching romance, but it could also be very cliche and cheesy. One scene really killed the mood of the whole episode, and I hope they don't pull that shit again. Despite that though, I like the show so far. Also the opening is really pretty.
Was it the "taking a photo" scene? 'Cuz that amused me. I was honestly kinda irritated with all the romantic clichés that were being thrown at me up until that point, and the spasticity. The OP is nice and the only reason I bothered checking it out (b/c Goose House), but I dunno if I'll be able to stick with it (especially after the last "romance series" I tried to watch). Really not a fan of pure romance...
Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #6600
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Yeah it was the photo scene. The show up 'till then seemed like it wouldn't be sexual at all, then all of a sudden, NOPE! Not to mention my hatred for those kinds those scenes and how obnoxiously spastic they made it.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime