UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Pikachu Black & White - March 6th (US)

Quote:
POKÉMON BLACK VERSION AND POKÉMON WHITE VERSION LAUNCHING IN NORTH AMERICA ON MARCH 6

Upcoming Nintendo DS Games Introduce More than 150 Never-Before-Seen Pokémon and a New Region to Explore

REDMOND, Wash., Dec. 27, 2010 - Nintendo of America today announced that the Pokémon™ Black Version and Pokémon White Version video games will launch in North America on March 6, 2011. The games, playable exclusively on the Nintendo DS™ family of systems, are a completely new adventure that Pokémon fans old and new can embark on. Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version introduce more than 150 new Pokémon and a new region to explore.

Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version feature new Pokémon that players can catch, train and battle as they progress through the game, and some Pokémon can only be caught in one version of the game. For example, the Legendary Pokémon Reshiram™ can only be caught in Pokémon Black Version, while the Legendary Pokémon Zekrom™ can only be caught in Pokémon White Version. Additionally, the two games feature different areas for the first time in the series, with the game world of Pokémon Black Version featuring a unique metropolitan area called Black City, and a lush, green area named White Forest only found in Pokémon White Version. Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version also mark the first time in a Pokémon video game that the seasons will change in the game world. Certain Pokémon appear more frequently during different seasons, and players can only access some areas during a specific season.

Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version let players start with one of three new Starter Pokémon - the Grass-type Snivy™, the Fire-type Tepig™ or the Water-type Oshawott™. Until the main story of the game is complete, every Pokémon that players encounter will have never been seen before in previous Pokémon games. The games also feature original boy and girl trainers who set out on an adventure in the new Unova region.

“Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version represent a generational leap forward for the renowned series, delivering an unprecedented number of new Pokémon to catch, battle and trade,” said Marc Franklin, Nintendo of America's director of Public Relations. “Whether you have played the Pokémon video games before or are just getting interested in them, you won't want to miss Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version.”

Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version are now available for pre-order from major retailers throughout North America for a suggested retail price of $34.99 each. A deposit may be required for pre-orders. See individual retailers for details.

For more information about Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version, visit http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com.
Unova region? Strange name. Game specific areas? Why. $35? Par for the course. March 6th? Alil earlier then expected.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
Selena
Aroma Lady

Unova, form Una Nova (a new).

35 bucks is cheap, meaning that they'll sell at 25-30 euro's here. Wich is pretty much half price. I still think the cheap price won't sail over to europe....

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Old 12-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

$35 may be cheap to you or in the grand scheme of things, but it isn't cheap if we're specifically talking about these games in comparison with other DS games or other Pokémon games: like Lindsay says, $35 is par for the course (for Pokémon DPPt, $5 less than Pokémon HGSS, and $5 more than your average entry-level DS game).

I read on Serebii that the English name for Professor Araragi will be Professor Juniper. Her name, araragi, is the Japanese for Taxus cuspidata, a yew commonly known as the Japanese yew. Her English name, juniper, is another type of conifer which also doubles as a girl's name. I guess they didn't want to name her Professor Yew.

Lots of similar name changes have taken place, with NoA opting to go for new and slightly-related terms where the old terms didn't quite carry over. Like Fire Fire Daruma, Hihidaruma, becoming Darmanitan, perhaps a partial portmanteau between Dharma (or a corrupted Daruma) and Man. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to them. Although if anyone can explain Chillarmy's English name to me, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Selena
Aroma Lady

Then games in America are cheap in general, we have to pay 49,95 for the brand DS games. Although I beleive the price has dropped to 39,95. Wich is still way more expensive compared to America if you calculate the exchange course in.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Old 12-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Think of it as "not living in America" tax.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Old 12-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

>Looks at Pre-order chart for UK.

Nothing above Ł25.

Still good here.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Considering how shitty the starter names were (though Snivy was ok), I'm actually surprised and glad to say that the other names so far are actually not too bad (except Sandile - fuck that).

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 12-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I am okay with Sandile. I was disappointed and confused by Minccino. Mink are not at all like chinchillas. Or is it supposed to be "Mini-ccino", i.e. a miniature Chillaccino, but with the second 'i' left off? Oshawott (ocean + water + otter) at least is decipherable and correctly references what the creature is. Sandile (sand + [croco]dile) does too. But Minccino is ... hmm. =\

In the end, not a big deal: Chillaccino was left in talk, bar romanization differences.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #9
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I like that Earthquake Spiral Overconfidence is now Moxie.

That is such an awesome name.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #10
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Moxie controls your chance to be hit and chance to hit and damage done with ranged weaponry. It has nothing to do with gaining a boost to physical attack whenever you KO someone.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Nice KoL reference.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 01-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #12
Lady Kuno

Pikachu needs 3 more smarminess to make a level.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:53 AM   #13
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
KoL is the shit! It's so awesome, it shouldn't be referenced alongside Gen5!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:58 AM   #14
Lady Kuno

You just killed it rangeet. Way to go.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:18 AM   #15
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Pansage.
Pansear.

Use your BRAYNE POWER to come up with a third name that follows the same pattern, but relates to water.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Terrible English names for terrible Gen5 creatures and characters just keep pouring in!

Good:
Braviary, formerly Wargle

Meh:
Patrat, formerly Minezumi
Gothitelle, formerly Gochiruzeru
Musharna, still Musharna
Axew, formerly Kibago
Fennel, formerly Mokomo (human)

Bad:
Reuniclus, formerly Rankurusu
Cofagrigus, formerly Desukan
Drilbur, formerly Mogurew
Woobat, formerly Koromori

Yay, opinions.
Spoiler: show
Why is Reuniclus a bad name? Well, the first thing on my list that makes any English name terrible is when it's spelled in a way that fans won't be able to agree on how it's pronounced. Shaymin ["Shy Minn?"] and Arceus ["Ar-KEE-uhss?"] are good examples. But Reuniclus violates even that rule by being difficult to read period! Even the individual mind has a hard time settling on a reading for this word. Is it ree-YUU-nuh-kliss? Is it ROON-ih-kliss? Is it ree-UHN-uh-kluhss? Just how the hell do I read it? Braviary? That's easy to pronounce and most fans will agree that there's only one right way to say it. Reuniclus? That invites at least ten different pronunciations, all of them ridiculous-sounding.

What about Cofagrigus? This is an example of taking a cute, simple portmanteau (desu = the English word "death", kan = Japanese for coffin, hence "DEATH COFFIN!") and turning it into some pseudo-Latin abomination. Worse yet, it's guilty of the same crime as Reuniclus but with worse repercussions. Because if they were going for a portmanteau off of the word "sarcophagus", then that means we're to read this name as co-FAG-ri-guhss. Yeah. Just what we needed: kids making fag jokes in every Pokémon chatroom and channel. And if they say to us, "No, you're supposed to read the first bit like you would read 'coffin', so it's coff-uh-GRY-guhss," then that's even more retarded: how's it a portmanteau if you can't even hear the sarcophagus in there? Terrible.

Drilbur: do I even need to explain why tacking "drill" onto the name Wilbur is a horrible idea for a Pokémon name? Moving on ...

And the winner is ...? Woobat! They took the "LOL ZUBAT CLONE" joke, asked themselves "How could we make Zubat's name even stupider?", and put the two together.

Last edited by Talon87; 01-13-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Myself, I kinda like Woobat, as it references to how they apparently have something to do with love.

Inb4Wedbat
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #18
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
No, Swoobat.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #19
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
No, Swoobat.
Okay, I kinda like that idea.

That or Romabat and I'll be okay.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #20
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Here, just have the whole list.

This was leaked on 4chan before Serebii updated, so these names are pretty much confirmed.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 01-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #21
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
>Frillish, Litwick, Golett
Eh, these are okay.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #22
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

>Serperior

I swear, if this is for real, I will be VERY happy.

>Pignite

...Wow. I remember people wanting this name for Tepig.
Quote:
Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #23
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I think GameFreaks actually goes on /vp/ OR this is one of the best troll performances ever.

But judging by the fact that they've been taken down on the two non-4chan sites they were posted on, it's likely that they're real.

Also these names appeared before Serebii put his names up.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 01-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #24
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

If it's real I like Krookodile and Beartic but not Archeos' new name.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Some of the names are terrible. Mienshao? Druddigon? Haxorus?

Some of the names are nice. Jellicent. Pignite. Shelmet. (Hey, he looks stupid but this is a great name for a shellfish iron helmet hybrid!)

And some of the names are just LOL. Like Seismitoad.

All of the English names in the new list circulating the 'net are 10 characters or less, which unfortunately for those of you who were hoping this wouldn't be the case means that there's a strong likelihood of the 10-character limit returning in Gen5. Sorry.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON