UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 08-17-2016, 01:25 AM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Pokemon Live-Action Film Lands 'Gravity Falls', 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Writers

Boy, this one completely flew under the radar for me. Initial announcement article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variety
Legendary Entertainment has won the rights to a Pokemon movie and is partnering with the Pokémon Company to launch the first live-action Pokemon film franchise with a “Detective Pikachu” movie.

Legendary said details are being kept under wraps but added that the film will be fast-tracked for production to start in 2017. Detective Pikachu is a new character in the Pokemon universe, introduced through a video game in Japan.

New article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variety
Nicole Perlman and Alex Hirsch are in negotiations to write the live-action “Pokemon” pic for Legendary based on the upcoming game “Detective Pikachu.”

Last edited by deoxys; 08-17-2016 at 01:32 AM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:30 AM   #2
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Please don't...
Old 08-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalion View Post
Please don't...
Right after Pokemon Go blew up, I had an odd feeling talk of a live-action movie would start. This seems like it's been in the making for a while though, especially given Alex Hirsch tweeted about "hypothetically" making a live-action video game movie a few months back.

I'm so unsure of how to feel. I love Alex Hirsch, everything that man touches (so far) is gold, and GotG was fantastic - I'm just not sure either of their particular skill sets lend themselves to Pokemon, even if Detective Pikachu is intended to wind up being a dramedy.

I'm mostly, uh, concerned with how a 'live-action Pokemon' would look. What sort of aesthetic do they go with? How do you make CGI Pokemon without going down the pseudo-realistic route?
Old 08-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I'm mostly, uh, concerned with how a 'live-action Pokemon' would look. What sort of aesthetic do they go with? How do you make CGI Pokemon without going down the pseudo-realistic route?
The Pokémon will probably look like Detective Pikachu looks in the video files. That "made from bright clay" Pokémon Battle Revolution look. I very much doubt they're going to go for a "if Pokémon were real, they'd look like actual animals but with their Pokémon colors" angle like a lot of DeviantArtists go for. I also doubt they're going to go for a Who Framed Roger Rabbit? combination of real people and cartoons. It'll still be real people and (air quotes) "cartoons", but the "cartoons" are going to be the soft, clay-ey CGI that we see in PBR, Pokkén Tournament, Detective Pikachu, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I'm so unsure of how to feel.
"Film adaptation of a video game." You could stop right there and know how to feel about this, unfortunately.

But hey, let's say that's not a good enough reason to doubt the film'll be good (nor to knock attempts at making the first great film adaptation of a video game). I'd still say I'm pessimistic about this one. Pokémon movies aren't known for their good original stories. Neither of the two writers on board are known to be as big into Pokémon as someone on UPN is. (In other words, this isn't another J.J. Abrams does Episode VII or Simon Pegg does New Star Trek 3.) People have loaded expectations from the ShoPro anime and the Game Freak games. I just don't see it working well. It's gonna take a miracle to pull off a great live-action Pokémon movie that comes first in line. Maybe if we ever get to a point where there's a second or a third things'll be ironed out, but being an 8/10 or better first out of the gate ... that's a tall order.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
This gunna be awful

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
Escalion

The only thing missing in this to really reflect my expectations of a Live-Action Pokémon movie is the involvement of Uwe Boll.

And even then, after the tremendous "success" of Dragonball Evolution and The Last Airbender I wouldn't be surprised if my already low expectations won't be met.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #7
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalion View Post
The only thing missing in this to really reflect my expectations of a Live-Action Pokémon movie is the involvement of Uwe Boll.

And even then, after the tremendous "success" of Dragonball Evolution and The Last Airbender I wouldn't be surprised if my already low expectations won't be met.
You really think Nintendo would let Uwe Boll touch a property like that? They treat their properties like gold.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #8
Escalion

No, thankfully not, but it would reflect my expectation.
Some things just aren't meant to be "Live-Action", we've seen that with ATLA and Dragon Ball. And in my opinion Pokémon belongs to that group too. The way it's likely going to be is just how Talon describes it, and I don't see it working either.

I'd still go see it though, I absolutely love the Dragon Ball franchise and despite the critics I went to see Evolution anyways. Terrible movie from a continuity/canon perspective, and it annoyed the crap out of me, but even if the Pokémon movie would go that way, as a fan you have to take the bad with good. Speaking for myself I enjoyed the quality of the anime even more after Evolution so there's always that if this Pokémovie goes that direction too.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
Beautiful Savage
Oh, hello

Tbh, as hard as I try, I can't come up with something more constructive than "LOL."
Old 08-18-2016, 12:36 AM   #10
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

The problem is that Detective Pikachu was a fairly limited story wise. I'm not sure how they could expand on it or if they will at all
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:46 AM   #11
Mercutio
Banned

Well of course it's going to be awful. But then so was Mega Evolution and look where we are now. Pokémon will continue.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Ryan Reynolds cast as Pikachu.

I'm a little less cynical about the film now than I was a year and a half ago, though I still doubt it'll be a great film. I at least hope it'll be passable, decent. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. What little I have seen of the source material does not inspire me with confidence, but then again, I haven't seen much of the source material.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

BORKED

Trailer #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I very much doubt they're going to go for a "if Pokémon were real, they'd look like actual animals but with their Pokémon colors" angle like a lot of DeviantArtists go for.

Quote:
I also doubt they're going to go for a Who Framed Roger Rabbit? combination of real people and cartoons. It'll still be real people and (air quotes) "cartoons", but the "cartoons" are going to be the soft, clay-ey CGI that we see in PBR, Pokkén Tournament, Detective Pikachu, etc.
Closer. What's wrong here is the same as above (i.e. thinking it would be PBR and Pokken-like graphics instead of DeviantArt "if Pokémon were real animals" graphics), but the claim that it'll be real people + CGI is spot on the money. Not an animated cartoon in sight.

Quote:
I'm a little less cynical about the film now than I was a year and a half ago, though I still doubt it'll be a great film. I at least hope it'll be passable, decent. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. What little I have seen of the source material does not inspire me with confidence, but then again, I haven't seen much of the source material.
Short of saying "RIIIIIIIIGHT! ", I'd at least say my opinion has not changed after seeing the trailer from what I wrote here nearly one year ago. The movie looks pretty crappy / "I'm the sort of person who likes to set money on fire on the weekends, so let's go! "-kind of cinema entertainment. It doesn't look like an A-grade movie. The acting seems more akin to that seen in Dragonball: Evolution than that of your typical summer blockbuster. The screenplay seems overly desperate to be funny, ŕ la Ghostbusters 2016, with far too many jokes that call to mind the sorts of jokes kids would make in middle school. The movie just ... does not look anywhere near as good in concept or execution as Pokémon: The Origin was.

That stated, I think it's safe to say that few if any of us here are in the target demographic for this film. This looks like it's the sort of movie a 10-year old would devour. Already, YouTube's comments section is overrun with praise for the trailer. Just a few sample quotes:

Quote:
ok

this is epic
Quote:
THIS ACTUALLY LOOKS NEAT
Quote:
The Pokemon look so real that i swear they almost look like legit animals
Quote:
I'm suppose to not like this because of how some American or Japanese film companies treat their live actions of games or animes but ... I never have the biggest smile for a live action adaptation of Pokemon ever!
Quote:
WB just figured out how to replace the DC movie universe.
Quote:
OMG YEEEES!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE GAME. I ABSOLUTELY WILL LOVE THE MOVIE!!! GRENINJA, JIGGLYPUFF, CHARIZARD. OMG!!!! SO HYPEEEEED!!!!
Quote:
Huh. Did not expect this to look promising but, here we are. Weird world we live in.
Quote:
Now THIS is Epic.
Quote:
This actually looks fantastic. I hope it’s as good as this trailer
Quote:
...this actually looks really good i... don't even know what to say
There are a few sarcastic comments, but none of them are really that negative towards the movie. (E.g. " Looks pretty good for a 3ds game. ") And these sarcastic comments are easily in the minority. It's something like a ratio of 90% "OMGH FSDOIJSI SO FUCKING GOOD ofsdaijdsijdsfjiapoids Oi SFIFDIODIO I CAN'T WAIIIIIIIIIT PIKA PIIIIIIIII ", 5% more metered approval, and then 5% sarcastic. Zero comments like my post right here. Zero. No one on YouTube is saying what I'm saying, be it about desperate humor, be it about the CG looking horrifying in places (Jigglypuff and Psyduck look especially bad), be it about the subpar acting ... Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, yeah! ^^; I think it's safe to say that I am not / we are not in the target audience for this movie. And the target audience is fucking thrilled.

I expect the movie to be a modest box office success. Not going to smash any records or be the highest grossing film of whichever month it releases in, but will certainly cover costs and make a decent profit.

I think the rabbit-like, life-like Pikachu is pretty adorable ... but is also in an uncanny valley of unrecognizability in some senses. Like ... I know what I'm looking at is supposed to be a Pikachu. Clearly. But often times I look at Reynalds' CGI avatar and I don't think it looks like a Pikachu at all. It looks like a knock-off imitation. I guess this is just the fundamental problem of trying to translate the anime / manga-style creature designs over into the real world.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #14
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

OMFG

I was so against the idea of a live action Pokemon movie. We all know how big of a train wreck the attempts to turn Dragon Ball and Avatar into live action were.

But Ryan Reynolds as the voice of Detective Pikachu? Sign me the hell up! The trailer actually made me want to see the movie, if not just for more Ryan Reynolds as a Pokemon. The idea to go comedy is bang on, you were always going to struggle to pull a serious movie unless you sunk a tonne of money into decent CGI for the Pokemon.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #15
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
That Pikachu look would be fine on an Eevee, especially Ash's. It doesn't look right on Pikachu and makes it look fat/prepared for winter.

A short-haired Pikachu would have been more fitting I feel. It's up to the artists to strike a balance between yellow skin and shaggy yellow fur.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #16
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The creative talent behind the LGPE Detective Pikachu movie artwork has been revealed!

https://twitter.com/arvalis/status/955654634873344000

If you look at the art (plastered wallpaper on that twitter account), I think you'll instantly recognize the art style. He's responsible for the hyper-realistic Pokemon fan pieces that have been circulating for years, and originated from DeviantArt.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:47 PM   #17
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I think this look like it's gonna be fun as hell, even if the designs are a little different than what people expected.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #18
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

i find it amusing how many people were losing their shit over the electric mouse Pokemon having, you know, fur

movie seems solid enough though
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #19
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I think I expected it to have hairless cheeks.

The number of people freaking out about Mr. Mime's hair is astonishing, because it was clearly never meant to be hair lol.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #20
deh74
Noted homosexual

Oh my god this looks like it's going to be awesome! Look at those Bulbasaur!

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News