Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #26
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
One thing I don't like about Time Out (any of them, not just FB or ASB) is that if I go to bed and wake up the next morning, click on it, the new posts I see might be like 3 pages behind and whatever I read I can't respond to because the topic is like so 8 hours ago.
While I would be willing to give the UPN TO a shot -without- the other TOs just to see how well it works (and if people really don't like it/are upset they can be reinstated), I do worry that this is what will happen to an even greater extent. The TOs already tend to move pretty fast on their own, and with everyone congregating at once conversations could be easily lost, and a newbie might be even more timid to approach for fear of so many faces turning on him/her or else being ignored completely. I could see someone's voice being drowned out as soon as another post is made.

Also going back to what you said about helping people's social skills... As nice of an idea that is, speaking from personal experience Forum popularity doesn't necessarily equate to real life. If anything it eats up more of my time so I don't go out and, you know, meet people/have a life. If everyone's sitting in front of a computer chatting/just trying to keep up with the current topic I don't know if that's exactly a good thing, and might just drive more members away when they give up maintaining track of it. (See: What happened with Skype.) We're already witnessed the kind of chaos that happens in the Bar when there are so many storylines going on those who don't have time to check in/write daily get left in the dust. *shrug* I dunno, guess we won't know until we try.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #27
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

If there is only one TO thread for all of UPN, we'd also run the risk of it just turning into an ASB-FB flame war. A cursory view of the TO threads from the past few days shows that there are definitely people who are carrying on that old enmity (ex: Mewsic Box, SS).
Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #28
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Yes but they'd be internet-slapped and told to shut up.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #29
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
If there is only one TO thread for all of UPN, we'd also run the risk of it just turning into an ASB-FB flame war. A cursory view of the TO threads from the past few days shows that there are definitely people who are carrying on that old enmity (ex: Mewsic Box, SS).
The moral of the story is, a gradual transition trumps drastic and sudden change. We get it.

But I don't think making a third TO is an improvement. I'm trying to see UPN move away from TOs, not towards more. And even if it were only temporary and eventually we'd just have the singular UPN TO ... I don't think that's a good idea either. In the end, the goal is getting people to use a forum like a forum. And so to that end, I think the better way of achieving change gradually is ...

... to perhaps start policing the TOs a little better, much as some have been clawing at their hair at the very notion of policing things, and to maybe, just maybe, encourage people to take Entertainment, Video Games, Anime, and Pokémon discussion (those four categories) to the main UPN forum. Anything else -- misc chat about adopting a cat, misc chat about baking cookies for a boyfriend, debates about religion, debates about healthcare plans, funny YouTube videos, whatever -- at least for the time being people can keep posting about those things in their own TOs if they like. But if you want to discuss Gen 6 ... please let's do it as a unified community and aggregate all of our theories, speculation, hopes, dreams, and fears in one thread. And if you want to discuss Sherlock or Supernatural or Breaking Bad ... again, please let's aggregate all of that stuff in the appropriate places.

One, it makes it easier to follow. TOs, like chat rooms, are death for prolonged (read: 1+ week) discussion because people want to ADHD move along to other things and it's too much effort to try and find where the topic last left off.

Two, it makes it easier to find everything again later, whether for yourself or for a friend.

Three, it makes it SO MUCH SANER AND BETTER for newcomers. They can find everything easily, and we don't have to reinvent the wheel every single time a new newcomer shows up and asks, "Can you tell me about ______?"

Four, I could keep going, but I'd like to believe that as fellow forumgoers most of you do have some appreciation for why forums are such a superior communication tool for long conversations to chat rooms.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #30
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
The moral of the story is, a gradual transition trumps drastic and sudden change. We get it.
I was more concerned about the whole "this thing hasn't blown over for this long, I doubt it will blow over any time soon/at all" issue than a gradual change point, though that is also good. I'm in agreement with you that we need to have more people talking in dedicated threads, I was more just addressing the... volatile... nature of the intermediary step.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #31
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Uh... Mewsic Box isn't active anymore. And to be honest I think calling out specific names is only propogating the feud more when it's in the process of being dissolved. We've already had many visitors come by from general UPN and PASBL to extend a welcome hand to FBers, and we're working on the possibility of a merger where ASBers can free RP their squads in our neck of the woods if they want and FBers can try their hand at bringing their teams over to ASB. Frankly I don't know why no one thought of this before.

Note: Now I would go over to PASBL's TO and personally extend the peace offering in return, but after what happend the last time I posted there (among other reasons) I'd rather not be the one to do so. But I am in full support of breaking down barriers and coming together as a community. (Tear down the wall! Tear it down I say!)
Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #32
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I called out specific names because they best described what I was talking about. Citing examples is always a good idea when making a point.

A crossover is neither here nor there, doesn't have much to do with TOs, and I frankly couldn't care less if PASBL and FB were integrated in some social way. I just want more people to talk to in UPN General.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #33
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
Been thinking about this. A few things:

Where would said thread be located?
Also the post count thing is an issue for me. It's just one of those things.

UPNetwork. Here. NOT the Misc. I think that's a bad idea, as Misc is active with legitimate topics. The UPNetwork forum is rarely used and when it is, people notice. And people would notice when something legit came up that wasn't the TO.

Anyway, I'm just chiming and saying that a general chat TO would be pretty great. I'm with Talon though, someone makes a few posts about something that needs or has it's own thread, I'm fine with that, but if it carries on for several posts, it needs to be taken elsewhere. That'd be my biggest thing. But anyway, a chat thread would be great and help liven up the place a bit, I imagine, not to mention there are plenty of things to always discuss that don't necessarily warrant their own thread and just go left unsaid, which the TO would cover.

While Talon also doesn't want more Time Outs, I can understand why for sure, but I don't venture to ASB or FB, for instance, and I know I'm not the only one, and I would like a "general chat" thread to go to. I have popped into those TOs in the past but I don't like doing it really because I'm not a member of those communities and I don't feel like I have anything of value to add to their discussions, given that if they are not about general chats, they are about the goings-on in the ASBL world or the FB happenings, something I'm not to keen to jump in on.

And the new TO would NOT replace the ASB or FB one. I know, again, that Talon doesn't want this because he wants more threads to be made, but I think it would be nice as a place to just talk.

>Unrelated: I've been thinking about adding more ranks but not sure what to do. Ideas?

Johto badges seem the obvious route to go. Use the same method for Johto badges as used for Kanto ones, however many it is i.e. 100 posts (or whatever it is) following the Earth badge mark gets you the Zephyr badge, 500 for Bug badge, etc.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 02-14-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #34
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Johto badges seem the obvious route to go. Use the same method for Johto badges as used for Kanto ones, however many it is i.e. 100 posts (or whatever it is) following the Earth badge mark gets you the Zephyr badge, 500 for Bug badge, etc.
>use the same increments for Johto badges as for Kanto badges
>so 5100 total nets you the first ...
>5500 total nets you the second ...
>and ...

I already have all sixteen badges.

Kuno: ¬_¬
Old 02-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #35
Takeo
Boulder Badge

You could do something different before that though, maybe have a Champion Badge after the Earth one.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #36
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

If we wait long enough, all of Talon's posts will be dominated by his badges from all 9 generations of Pokemon. (Yes, he posts so much, he will have badges from the future!)
Old 02-15-2013, 03:24 AM   #37
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

There is no way I'm axing the current TOs.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Old 02-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #38
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
There is no way I'm axing the current TOs.
Great, cause I love the FB one ^_^

And also: I don't mind it at all to participate here or anywhere else on the General Board. If there were a subject I have something useful to say about that is. And to be honest, I haven't found that many of those threads so far. Guess I don't have that much in common with the general public here
But I'm all pro-random chit-chat that is usually found in the TO.

And post's being snowed under after a good night's sleep (which happens to be during the time most Americans are active here), I don't have any problem with that either, I like having to read through a page or 3-4 in the morning as I wake up. Gives me something to do
And if I feel like replying to something from hours ago, why shouldn't I? We all know we can't be online all the time and that we have people here from almost every timezone so in my opinion it's nothing more than normal that people pick up on a conversation hours later. It's still the internet, a conversation does not magically disappear when people leave.

And in that regard, I think this TO is a great idea, if just for random chit-chat.
Cause Talon does have a (small) point here
Old 02-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #39
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Have people here ever participated in the TO? Topics from days ago are picked up all the time.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #40
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Sometimes. Not always.

I like the idea of having a new TO. It could help slow the ASB TO down some ^_^;; it can move super fast at times. FBTO does not have this problem.

The issue has been discussed to death, and the FB/ASB TO's are quite clearly never going to go away. This is good, because about half of the discussion here was Everyone (Save teh TO!) vs. Talon (PUT IT OUT OF ITS MISERY) to the point where both sides were kind of blindly waving their arms around.

I think the UPNetwork subforum is the best place for a UPN TO. It makes the most sense, considering its purpose as a sort of general chat thread of, by, and for the UPN community.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #41
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
about half of the discussion here was Everyone (Save teh TO!) vs. Talon (PUT IT OUT OF ITS MISERY)
It's not everyone vs. Talon. I'm not going to call out people by names except for Kuno himself, but half of the staff and veteranship I have talked with agree with me that the status quo of "TO = anything goes" has strangled UPN. Kuno himself has said so, saying he feels the TOs "have gotten away from their original purpose" and that he'd prefer it if people were to post threads for topics instead of discussing topics inside of the TO.

The only way Kuno has sided with your incorrectly labeled camp of "everyone" has been that he's declared he's not killing the TOs. And as far as I am concerned, that's the same as Hillary Clinton declaring she is not running for President of the United States. If the TOs are banned from (say) being places you can discuss Entertainment-forum topics, and if as a direct result we see the Entertainment forum's activity skyrocket five-fold, it will not only prove that I am right -- it will also hugely persuade Kuno, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm ... you know something? Talon might be right. Maybe the TOs should just be for game-related chitchat."
Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #42
Mercutio
Banned

Well yeah but making a specific thread for every topic isn't how much of the internet works. It's also a bit laborious, though I think it's a good idea and shouldn't be killed off.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #43
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Well yeah but making a specific thread for every topic isn't how much of the internet works. It's also a bit laborious, though I think it's a good idea and shouldn't be killed off.
It is precisely how a webforum works.

I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times -- Kuno needs to choose between whether he wants a chatroom or a forum, because as it currently is, UPN has de-evolved into "UPN the skeleton forum and the two lively chatrooms". If he wants a chatroom, that's fine, but I'll have no part any longer in trying to keep this half-dead forum afloat. He asked me to try and help out, I've tried to help out for going on three years solid this May, and you guys just continue to put all of your energy towards the two chatroom threads instead of putting it towards what should be the community hub, the forums.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #44
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Neither side should make any sweeping generalizations here. Plenty of us post outside the TOs, but at the same time, some of the folks in the TOs don't venture out much.

The activity in the other forums seems alright for me, since UPN isn't exactly a large forum. We're a tight-knit community. Yes, the TOs have more activity than the rest of the board, but do you honestly want that kind of activity in the rest of the forums? Most of the posts (in the ASB TO at least) aren't particularly relevant to anything outside of ASB, and sometimes not even that. I believe that quality >>> quantity, and I think the status of Serebii's forum is more than enough evidence of that.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #45
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm conflicted, because Talon is right, the TOs hold UPN back from it's full potential for discussion. However, I think they have long held a legacy in the community that really shouldn't be disturbed. A user coming to UPN only to post in the time out isn't going to start posting elsewhere just because they are shut down, they would probably rather just leave (this is just assuming of course).

I like the idea of a general UPN chat thread, though, too, as I said. I don't think it would be right to say that we should shut down the other TOs in favor of one big one though because a. I'm not a TO poster and therefore do not have the right to force my opinion of those who do utilize those threads and b. it would cause a lot of conflict.

I don't really know. Like I said, I feel like the TOs do indeed hold the forun back, and yet I'm still in favor of a third one for general talking purposes...
Old 02-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #46
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Yes, the TOs have more activity than the rest of the board, but do you honestly want that kind of activity in the rest of the forums?
YES.

You make it sound like it's Serebii-size activity. It's not. But it's some 50-100 people who post in those two games to the exclusion of the main forum with its ~10 or so regular posters who don't post in either of the two game areas. Deoxys has already said, "Please come. ;.;" Amras has already said, "Please come. ;.;" (And he even posts in ASB!) I've said, "Please come. ;.;" (And I post in FB!) Kuno has said, "Please come."

We want the activity in the main forum, absolutely.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #47
deoxys
Fog Badge

^^ I think my main point here is "MORE ACTIVITY FROM MORE USERS AND TALKING PLEASE!"
Old 02-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #48
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I'd rather not see TO-levels of activity in every single main forum at once, because it's quickly going to devolve into useless shit ŕ la Serebii. If you don't think so, then fair enough, I suppose.

I'm not opposed to a third TO, but realize then you'll have (potentially) three super active threads, while the rest of the forums will be more or less the same.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #49
deoxys
Fog Badge

I get that, but the theory is that perhaps those types of posts are exclusive to TO threads. Plenty of users active both on the main forums have made what are essentially "shitposts" in the TOs too but still contribute a fine amount of legit content elsewhere.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #50
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

This is the best Time Out so far.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork