UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 01-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #51
phoopes
Double Dragon

AGDQ 2017 is live! Come watch now because Pokemon Emerald is on stream, and the file name is Daisy so it's practically UPN theme.

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick
Old 01-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #52
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

The Emerald run was fun to watch. Really appreciated AJ Styles the Swablu. Made the chat a lot of fun.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:39 PM   #53
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

GRAND DAD
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #54
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

Decided to finally start the process of learning how to speedrun TTYD this morning. Got my first Blooper Skip after about 20 attempts or so, so I'm super happy about it. (Spoilered large image)

Spoiler: show
Old 01-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #55
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I kind of want to put together a speed run for this game. Would people be interested in watching routing/attempts? It's a really cool game.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #56
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

RPG Limit Break is on if you haven't heard! Pokémon X run starting soon too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #57
phoopes
Double Dragon

Not exactly a speed run, but a cool TAS.

Beating Pokemon Blue in 69 A presses
Old 05-20-2017, 11:19 PM   #58
Heather
Naga's Voice

I'd actually seen that video before. Perhaps this guy and MM ought to have a heart to heart, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #59
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

SGDQ is live, starting with halfcoordinated running Nier: Automata! It's a good time. The puns are killing me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #60
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

BORKED

My favorite run. Possibly ever.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:19 AM   #61
phoopes
Double Dragon

I forgot to post this last night when it started, but werster is currently doing an Emerald all gold symbols run.

https://www.twitch.tv/werster

He's about 8 hours in and has factory gold and pyramid silver. It's nuts. He's attempted two runs of this category before but didn't finish. I don't know of anyone else ever even attempting a run like this. It's nuts.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #62
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
I forgot to post this last night when it started, but werster is currently doing an Emerald all gold symbols run.

https://www.twitch.tv/werster

He's about 8 hours in and has factory gold and pyramid silver. It's nuts. He's attempted two runs of this category before but didn't finish. I don't know of anyone else ever even attempting a run like this. It's nuts.
Update: home stretch now, he's headed for gold symbol on Battle Palace. Which is the worst one of all because of the mechanics.

As of now, in 18+ hours, he only has one loss at the Battle Pike and two at the Battle Palace. Impressive.

EDIT:

He did it in 19:04:14.79

It is finished

Last edited by phoopes; 08-12-2017 at 07:24 PM.
phoopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #63
phoopes
Double Dragon

werster beats HeartGold in less than 2 hours (time stops upon defeating Red at Mt. Silver)

This is a category that I've followed for awhile and holy crap is this amazing. I remember when the first route with Raikou was world record, that was over 20 minutes and almost four years ago. Incredible how far the routing has come with RNG manipulation.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:06 AM   #64
Lady Kuno

Randomized A Link to the Past runs are very fun to watch (and play). There's a channel on youtube that posts vods of these races and they are fun to watch. Here is one of the craziest vods I've seen.

The thing is that this tournament is keysanity. Which means not only are all the items randomized (Hammer, etc), but as are all the keys for the dungeons. There is a logic to it so it won't make the game impossible to beat (Needing the hammer to get the hammer, etc).

BORKED

You might have needed to have played alttp to appreciate it though. Although there are also some minor glitches you need to know (fake flippers, bomb jumps, etc). But I've watched a lot of these vods and this craziest one by far.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:43 AM   #65
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Yeah Keysanity gets ballistic on occasion. Rando's something I've been doing for a few months now, still can't quite get the execution down pat. Especially swordless, which Open really likes giving you for a long time for some reason.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #66
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
Yeah Keysanity gets ballistic on occasion. Rando's something I've been doing for a few months now, still can't quite get the execution down pat. Especially swordless, which Open really likes giving you for a long time for some reason.
You kind of need to learn how to do a lot of bosses swordless, and ganon with a weak sword and/or arrowless. But if Skull Woods is required for any reason then it's in the logic to get a sword to clear it.

Keysanity is tougher because to really race you need to learn the Ice Palace bomb jump and PoD bomb jump. The first being easier and the second being tougher to learn.

I'd be interested in doing a UPN Race if we had anymore interest in it. Maybe starting easier and w/o keysanity. >_>;

Old 02-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #67
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
It'd be less learning and more remembering, I think the last time I did a seed they were still on v27. Dissertations eat up me free time and given my inadequacies at the game it takes a full afternoon for me.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #68
phoopes
Double Dragon

With AGDQ coming up in a few weeks, I decided to check out some games that I hadn't kept up with in awhile and... whoa.

Last time I checked in on Breath of the Wild, the 40 minute barrier had just been broken. Now, we're almost down to sub-30. The non-Amiibo run is at 31:02 and with Amiibo it's down to 30:18. Simply nuts!

Also I posted werster's sub-2 hours HGSS run about a year ago and I'm rewatching it again. Still remains one of my favorite speedruns ever.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Wind Waker HD is now under 1 hour. Nuts.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #69
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
>AGDQ is coming up in a couple of weeks

I've been binge watching a bunch of speedruns starting in the summer and I genuinely wish I could have gotten more into this sooner. How much Castlevania, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, and other random RPGs can we fit in one event? Definitely, want to see it live.

Also thinking of myself trying to run FF1 but I actually need to learn how to do it tbh
Old 01-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #70
phoopes
Double Dragon

The dedication to finding new routes through games is astonishing. Here's an excerpt from an FAQ werster wrote about the new route through SoulSilver glitchless (which he just beat the world record for a few days ago by like three minutes).

Spoiler: show
Quote:
Q: What's different?
A: Let me lay it all out for you. There's quite a number of differences, that are mostly interconnected to one another. So let's start with the crux. The new route involves playing Voltorb Flip for over 3 minutes.

Yeah, you read that right.
I pickup an Abra (for Teleport), Dratini (For Surf, Whirlpool, and Waterfall), and TM24 Thunderbolt (to teach to Raikou) from my winnings there. This changes a lot of things as a result.

1) You do not catch Sentret or Lugia anymore. All the water HMs go to Dratini, and Cut is given to Quilava.
2) You must ONLY take Violet Center, to Teleport there after Whitney. This makes the early game *far* riskier, as Ember PP is *extremely* tight, so if Falkner uses Roost more than once, massive fucking ooft.
3) This ends up making it faster to skip Goldenrod Mart. Because Raikou has Thunderbolt, he doesn't need early X Items. And because you pickup Dratini, it isn't worth it to go straight up for Fire Blast either, as Dratini comes with Dragon Rage, meaning the Double battle is fine without Fire Blast.
4) Because you don't have Fire Blast, Whitney and Rival 3 are extremely different fights. Both are much slower, but the route is still overall faster by not detouring for Fire Blast
5) Because you are fighting Whitney without Fire Blast AND without X Items, it is an absolute requirement that the Cyndaquil have 31 IV in speed AND get Pokerus, so it can outspeed Miltank at +0. Thus, the seed had to change to one which meets these requirements. Since the seed changed, the entire manip process had to be redone.
6) Because of getting Thunderbolt, Thunder is no longer bought for Raikou.
7) Because the main seed changed, the Raikou had to change also.
As a result, it is no longer worth getting Hidden Power, as there are no good HP Ground Raikous on the seed used.
9) Because Raikou doesn't get Hidden Power, it is now given Strength for PP use, given it has a free slot.
10) Because Raikou doesn't get Hidden Power, Surge must be done later in Kanto, instead of first, as the levels are needed to OHKO his Pokes at +1. This changes the entire route through Kanto.
11) Since Surge isn't done first in Kanto anymore, Trash Manip is simply not possible. So Surge's cans are now completely random again.
12) Since you don't have HP Ground, the Blue fight is entirely different. It requires switching to a Pokemon and dying, meaning another Pokemon has to be alive at the time. This means you can't skip past the double fight with only Raikou alive below Lavendar, and since you do Surge later, means it's worth approaching Snorlax from the left, instead of the right (changing Kanto order more)
13) Since you don't have HP Ground, the following fights are much worse: Blue, Surge, Kimono Jolteon, JASMINE!!
14) Since you have Thunderbolt, the following fights are better: Literally everything else in the game.
15) Due to the nature of all these things, several other minor changes appear all the way throughout the run (Damage ranges, PP, what items to get, when to heal, when to use Rare Candies, etc etc)
And the most obscure: 16) Because you don't catch Sentret anymore, you can't heal with the PC box at Violet center anymore, as you can't deposit your only Pokemon. Therefore you must use the nurse. Because you have Pokerus however, healing at the nurse means Elm can now call you throughout the run, telling you about Pokerus. This is bad, as it advances the RNG. Unfortunately, it happens at the worst time possible: Immediately after Rival 2. This makes keeping RNG manip past Rival 2 *very hard*, but not impossible.

Like... how do you even think of this? Because with all the things that needed to change the RNG manipulation for the game had to change completely. But they still found the ideal seeds and worked it out to be a few minutes faster. Wow.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:08 AM   #71
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Experimentation? DS emulation has been around for 8 years now, so they've had plenty of time to focus in on that and that alone. :p
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:03 AM   #72
phoopes
Double Dragon

SGDQ 2019 is live (and has been for over 24 hours now)!

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick
Old 06-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #73
phoopes
Double Dragon

Final day of SGDQ 2019! Still a couple of great runs upcoming, including Super Mario World 96 exit, Ocarina of Time Any% (if the donation incentive is met), Link to the Past/Super Metroid Combo Randomizer (this run is INSANE if you've never seen it before), and Chrono Trigger Any% Glitchless (upgraded to 100% glitchess if the donation incentive is met). There have lots of great runs already as there are during every event, but I'm going to link to my favorite so far:

Punch-Out Wii Blindfolded

In the now longstanding tradition of completing Punch-Out games blindfolded, this might be my favorite one so far. So many crazy maneuvers pulled off while literally not being able to see. It's nuts.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #74
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
The Punch Out Wii blindfolded run basically was fucking incredible to the point where the runner was in shock at how amazing it was.

He insists multiple times he will have to redo fights, and never redoes a single fight.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:07 PM   #75
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
The Punch Out Wii blindfolded run basically was fucking incredible to the point where the runner was in shock at how amazing it was.

He insists multiple times he will have to redo fights, and never redoes a single fight.
"I just beat my PB by 6 minutes."

GOD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games