UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 10-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #26
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yeah but you don't hear Disney pushing the "family audience" angle for Marvel franchises the way they were in this press release + the way George Lucas was in Deo's video. Lucas's bit about "In 1978 when I was going around looking for a studio/distributor everyone kept telling me 'This is a Disney film!' " is especially, shall we say, telling?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #27
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Putting the buyout price in context:

Quote:
The Star Wars movies have earned a total of $4.4 billion worldwide.

Matt Krantz, markets reporter for USA Today told KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO that Disney is going all-out, and this deal is the latest and largest example.

“It actually is its fourth-largest acquisition ever, and that’s saying a lot for this company, which bought Pixar in 2006 for over $7 billion and Marvel in 2009 for almost $4 billion,” said Krantz.
Honestly seems like a pretty sweet deal for Lucas, given that realistically he probably hasn't been all the deeply involved in creative aspect of the series since the end of the prequels.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #28
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Wait, Disney own Lucasarts now? Bring back Tim Schaefer and Brian Moriarty! I want Loom 2, damn it.

Yes, I do care more about a 22 year old DOS game than I do about Star Wars, shut up.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #29
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
Wait, Disney own Lucasarts now? Bring back Tim Schaefer and Brian Moriarty! I want Loom 2, damn it.

Yes, I do care more about a 22 year old DOS game than I do about Star Wars, shut up.
No one's judging you. LucasArts PC games pretty much were my middle school years.
  • Rebel Assault II
  • Dark Forces
  • Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis
  • X-Wing: Collector's Edition
  • Star Wars: Rebellion
  • Indiana Jones & the Infernal Machine
I was hugely into Indiana Jones and Star Wars back then. Nope, no Monkey Island. None of my friends growing up ever talked about it and I was quite late to the MS-DOS and Pentium II era gaming party compared with most of my peers. (No Day of the Tentacle either. No Sam & Max either. Shut up, my family wasn't made of money. )

There was also this one crappy little game called Yoda Stories that I used to play for hours and hours on end. Apparently it's been panned as one of the worst Star Wars games ever? But I used to play it zealously. I can't imagine any kid playing it today though unless it were on their smartphone. The graphics and gameplay are just so, so simplistic and repetitive.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #30
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Curse of Monkey Island is one of my favorite games ever. Yes, it wasn't made in the early 90s with Ron Gilbert and Schafer, but its still LucasArts and it was still awesome.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #31
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I hate this so much. Also, Ep. 2 was the worst Star Wars film.

I really hope they don't fuck the EU up, too.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #32
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

No one lists Day of the Tentacle. I am saddened.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #33
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Someone on reddit was toying with the lovely idea of Day of the Tentacle being adapted into a Disney-Pixar film.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #34
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
I may not have listed it but I mentioned it. What more do you want? For me to go back in time and have Child Talon play it for Adult Loki?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #35
Loki

DOOEET
Old 10-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #36
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I don't really see what the big deal of this is. The assumption is Disney's going to meddle/kiddie-fy/destroy the sanctity of Star Wars, but has Lucas done any worse with what he's allowed?

Disney meddling can be a problem, since LucasFilm has always striven to be Disney-like, yet not. Both shared an ideal to appeal to children while appreciating their intelligence, until Lucas' brain melted and he turned into a big, obnoxious live-action version of 4Kids Entertainment.

Expanded Universe is over-rated, to be honest. Prior to and after the Galactic Civil War, there were Force users and Jedi everywhere and they dominated politics of their time. During the GCW, the Jedi were extinct and the Sith obeyed the Rule of Two, which really amplified the awe when a Dark Jedi or Jedi appeared during the GCW because they were so rare (and presumably powerful).

Bias speaking loudly, but the best Expanded Universe stuff was set during the Galactic Civil War. Most games from the 1990's followed the vein of Han Solo rather than Luke Skywalker and that allowed more diversity with the plots.

I'm going to wait and see what Disney does before bashing this move. Maybe years ago I'd be concerned, but no longer. We can only go up.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #37
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
So, all this hate on Lucas, largely centered on the prequels.

I just have to ask: Why?

Why press so much for more movies, then when they're finally made, rage for not being your perfect idea of what they should have been? Moreover, it is (was) Lucas's universe. He created it, built it, and for that he is worshiped. And yet he is hated for doing the same exact thing with the prequels: taking his universe and building it again. All these fans who were calling for his head seem to forget that he is responsible for A New Hope. He is the one responsible for the universe, it's his vision, and that was why you loved the original trilogy. Why hate him for building his dream again with the prequels?

Now, I may not be a Star Wars fan; TPM was the only movie I ever suffered all the way through, and the franchise in general just does not appeal to me. But he built a fantasy series that blew people's minds. Obviously his vision was excellent. So why exclude the rest of his vision? Is the Death of the Author effect that bad?

The new trilogy should be entirely Jar-Jar centric. I'd watch that.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #38
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
He is the one responsible for the universe...
If you really think this, you haven't paid attention to Star Wars in some time.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #39
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves

This sums up the internet's reaction nicely.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #40
Loki

The Phantom Menace is easily one of the worst Star Wars movies.

AVGN reviews Star Wars Special Edition and prequels and he pretty much got all my points in there.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #41
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Why settle for the Angry Video Game Nerd when you can have Plinkett?

RedLetterMedia reviews Star Wars: Episode 1 (YouTube)
Old 11-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #42
Loki

As correct as Plinkett's review is, I hate how often he inserts something random in just to entertain us for another 5 seconds. It's like he knows people have ADD and is forcing us to keep attention.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #43
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's unfortunate, as is the psycho persona he does (I don't really find those jokes funny nor do they lend any benefit to the arguments he's making), but I still feel like his review of Episode 1 is the most salient one out there. TBH, the AVGN doesn't really go into too much detail since he knows everyone already hates the first one and really he just wanted to give his thoughts on II and III. Hell, he spends half that video talking about the Special Edition changes to Episodes IV thru VI. Plinkett's review is a thorough, scholarly breakdown of where, why, and how Episode 1 failed. I hope that every single Disney executive and project manager is made to watch his reviews of Episodes I thru III before shooting Episode VII. Being willing to stand up to Lucas and say "Fuck no, that's stupid" is a good start. I think Lucas himself knows it and that this is part of the reason why he's handed control over to a colleague and to Disney during his own lifetime. He's kind of like an addict: he knows he has a problem and he wants help badly enough that he is willing to invite others to thwart him but he just can't bring himself to thwart himself.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #44
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Plinkett talks in a depressed monotone for an hour+. If you're not a nerd, you're going to lose interest if he doesn't curse or throw in creepy violent imagery. We're not his intended crowd, exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
He's kind of like an addict: he knows he has a problem and he wants help badly enough that he is willing to invite others to thwart him but he just can't bring himself to thwart himself.
I don't think Lucas is doing this in the interest of SW, though.

Lucas is a control/power freak, but he's also very good at making money. In the past, Lucas has never relinquished control for money, so only two scenarios present themselves; 1., through his advisory position he's going to gain more backseat power than he had as the head of LucasFilm, in a vein similar to Washizu Iwao, or 2., he wants out of the film-making business.

I'm leaning more toward the latter simply because Lucas is a good businessman, and he's been swept up in the same brand milking so many other studios are dead-set on. If he's tapped all his creative juices, he might as well go out on top and go wild with his disposable income and forget how he got there.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #45
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Star Wars crossover in Kingdom Hearts 3 is imminent
Ohhhhh yeah... Keyblade-shaped lightsabers now sound even better!

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #46
Loki

STOP IT! STOP IT!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #47
deoxys
Fog Badge

"Sora... I am your father."
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #48
Loki

Oh hell no.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #49
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Let's look on the bright side: maybe with Disney running the show, they'll finally release the Star Wars Holiday Special officially.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #50
Loki

Maybe with Disney in charge, they won't keep editing the good films because Lucas thought something else would be better even though it's worse.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment